How to save the YOG

Scrap them and put on the Masters Olympic Games, for old retired athletes: those people with 30, 40 years old.

Posts like this depress the hell out of me now I'm in my 30th year... :mellow::(

We're going to get a member on this forum born after the Millennium soon aren't we?

Herbert_-_Family_Guy.png

Posts like this depress the hell out of me now I'm in my 30th year... :mellow::(

We're going to get a member on this forum born after the Millennium soon aren't we?

Herbert_-_Family_Guy.png

What scared me most recently was that I was still at school, vividly following Lillehammer, and now, 20 years on, Kasai and Zöggeler are still there winning medals! Not to mention the eternal Pechstein...

As it was said here before, it'd be a good idea to move the YOG to an odd-year Then people would be less distracted by any main Olympic or any popular Sport Federation World Cup. In the other hand, I think the IOC should encourage smaller countries or cities (in population or economy) to bid for these games. It fitted very well to Singapore, but I think the case of Nanjing and Buenos Aires were a waste when Poznan or Medellin could have been suitable for this event.

Countries like Andorra, Romania, Bolivia, Denmark, Kenya, New Zeland or Vietnam could host this Olympic brand party.

Herbert_-_Family_Guy.png

I was being ironic :lol: !! Something is very wrong in society when people in their first third of their entire lifespan are considered old and declining. This youth-centrism may be the core of a trend of hopeless, self-righteous and futile teenagers believing they've reached the top and living in a hurry to grab it all as if they're dying tomorrow while adult people sometimes feel there's nothing exciting reserved for them and are pushed back to the living and consuming standards of younger people: plastic surgery is a goldmine.

That being said, a Senior Olympics for really old retired athletes (beyond their 60s) can promote many nice values and habits of healthy lifestyle, higher self-esteem sports practice, mental health also, etc. etc...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

IOC To Move Youth Olympic Games to Odd-Numbered Year

The IOC at its recent “Olympic Agenda 2020″ meeting passed, among other things, a recommendation to move the Youth Olympic Games to odd-numbered years from the current even-numbered years opposite their respective senior Olympic Games.

This move, if formally enacted, will take effect when a yet-unnamed host will hold the 2023 Summer Youth Olympic Games rather than the 2022 Summer Youth Olympic Games.

While previously, the Summer Youth Olympic Games did not clash on year with the Summer Olympics, and the Winter Youth Olympic Games did not clash with the Winter Olympics, but the Winter Youth Olympics clashed with the Summer Olympics, and vice-versa.

The Youth Olympic Games are hosted every four years, beginning in 2010 for the Summer Games and 2012 for the Winter Games. Among other functions, these events have been a bit of a boiling-pot for ideas that the IOC wants to experiment with, such as mixed swimming relays or three-on-three basketball.

The Games are for athletes aged 14 to 18, meaning that no athlete gets more than one shot at attending.

Youth Olympic Games hosting schedule:

• Summer – 2010 – Singapore
  • Winter – 2012 – Innsbruck
  • Summer – 2014 – Nanjing
  • Winter – 2016 – Lillehammer
  • Summer – 2018 – Buenos Aires
  • Winter – 2020 – unnamed
  • Summer – 2023 – unnamed*

http://swimswam.com/ioc-move-youth-olympic-games-odd-numbered-years/

Horrible idea to move them to odd years, especially since the continental games, major world championships are all going to be happening. 2025 would have been a better option and would also give 3 years for those athletes to develop and compete in 2028. After all weren't the Youth Olympics created for that purpose?

Archived