Sign in to follow this  
intoronto

Stockholm/Are 2022?

Thanks!

Uhm, I've been sceptical because of the distance issue, which might be solved logistically or not. But isn't such an increase quite a massive thing too? I'm not sure how well this would go down in the evaluation.

Oh, that's another thing. If Sweden's going to have to fake a hill, then WHY even bother? :wacko: There are a few other bids where everything is natural. So not only will the IOC have to deal with a 530km distance but have a "fake" hill built in its name???

Just wait until the environmentalists get ahold of this -- creating a fake hill for that dreaded thing called the Olympics??? God forbid!! Protest!! Kill the bid!!

Stockholm-Are is dead in the water.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Oh, that's another thing. If Sweden's going to have to fake a hill, then WHY even bother? :wacko: There are a few other bids where everything is natural. So not only will the IOC have to deal with a 530km distance but have a "fake" hill built in its name???

That's right. All the other bids have hockey and other ice events being played on frozen ponds. Idiot.

• Like 1

That's right. All the other bids have hockey and other ice events being played on frozen ponds. Idiot.

Yeah, FROZEN ponds which don't bump up the landscape artificially. Gotcha there, MORON!! :lol::lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

They should just put all the Alpine events in Are so that all the competitors and spectators will be in one place and help to minimize some of the travel.

They should just put all the Alpine events in Are so that all the competitors and spectators will be in one place and help to minimize some of the travel.

But Are only has a 1,417 year-round population--little more than the 998 of Lake Placid. Where will 2,500 Olympic 'family' stay? A few thousand workers, security and press? Lodging for what? 25,000 spectators? (They will have to lodge people in Trondheim and Ostersund.)

Are may have all the slopes, but it doesn't have the infrastructure to host all of the Alpine events of a WOG. I don't see S-A making the Short List. Ill-conceived bid.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Åre has been well able to host the Alpine wirkd champs in 2007 though, from competitor/spectator numbers probably not far from the usual Olympic Alpibe bits?

Alpine, not Alpibe

I'm not really sure where you stand on this issue...could you elaborate more? ;)

Are regularly hosts FIS Alpine World Cup events. Sweden has produced 6 World Cup winners, one more than Norway (the only other 2022 bidder to have had such success). There must be some sort of infrastructure in place.

Oslo probably has the least, but all of these bids will have some issues to over come. Lviv's infrastructure is practically non-existent. The Krakow-Jasna bid has many of the similar issues. A three hour drive from the main city to a tiny village, two countries, two languages, two currencies and no airport or railway links nearby.

You can say otherwise all you want, but I still think this is the only bid that would prevent Oslo 2022 from pulling a Tokyo 2020. All the others might look fun or exotic, but cold harsh reality doesn't give them a snowball's chance in hell when compared to a supremely technical, competent and experienced giant.

Extending a hill is, in principal, no different to building any other venue. Lillehammer actually built an arena in a mountain in Gjøvik.

And as for the environmental impact, we aren't talking about smashing up a national park somewhere in the wilderness. It's part of Stockholm county and is actually the second most populated municipality in Stockholm county.

Åre has been well able to host the Alpine wirkd champs in 2007 though, from competitor/spectator numbers probably not far from the usual Olympic Alpibe bits?

Alpine, not Alpibe

*world champs* gee, I should stop posting from my phone...

two countries, two languages, two currencies and no airport or railway links nearby.

2 countries -- been done before...Antwerp 1920...and lest we forget, Melbourne/Stockholm 1956. I mean what can compare to the 15,000km distance of that year?

2 languages - as u well know, most Euros are at least bilingual. They can easily add French & English.

2 currencies - they would probably be in Euros by then.

Lviv's infrastructure is practically non-existent. The Krakow-Jasna bid has many of the similar issues. A three hour drive from the main city to a tiny village, two countries, two languages, two currencies and no airport or railway links nearby.

- "A three hour drive from the main city to a tiny village" vs. "A seven hour drive from the main city to even tiner village"

Jasna itself might be a tiny village, but it's Liptovsky Mikulas that is the main tourist town at the base of Chopok Mountain. Jasna just serves the ski resort, that's the reason it's mentioned in application files.

Let's compare:

Liptovsky Mikulas - 32.000 inhabitants

Zakopane - 27.800

Lillehamer - 26.600

Are - 1.417

- "two countries," separeted by a border that virtually doesn't exist.

- "two languages" quite similar, almost mutually intelligible. It goes without saying that all information will be provided to the spectators in English/French

- "two currencies" What about it? You just exchange Polish zloty to Euro. If you go to Europe you'll do it anyway. Poles might be sceptic about joining the EuroZone, but I'm sure Euro will be the official Polish currency before 2020.

- "no airport"

Poprad-Tatry International Airport, 50 km from Liptovsky Mikulas. If you drive Slovak motorway D1, you'll get there in 30 minutes.

So: Krakow-Balice Airport --> Poprad-Tatry Airport --> D1 motorway --> Liptovsky Mikulas - Jasna.

With a good coordination, the whole trip is around 90 minutes.

- "or railway links nearby."

New railway link from Krakow to Tymbark (where it will be connected with Zakopane lane) is planned.

Railway links to Slovakia exist. Sadly, the one that could be more usefull, is out of order nowadays.

So OK, I can agree that getting to Jasna from Krakow by train would be a bad idea.

- "two countries," separeted by a border that virtually doesn't exist.

Legally and technically, it is allowed for the WOGs per the IOC Charter. It's just that it's never happened in a WOG. But there's always a first time.

Well, back to Sweden now. Has anybody else noticed they have only one ice hockey venue in their plan, let alone a 50k seat one? Are they to separate Friends Arena into two venues or what is their plan?

Woah, Are is only 1400 people?? It's barely big enough to be called a village. Maybe Sweden are a bit misguided here.

Well, back to Sweden now. Has anybody else noticed they have only one ice hockey venue in their plan, let alone a 50k seat one? Are they to separate Friends Arena into two venues or what is their plan?

I'd expect that to be the case, so you get 2 20,000 seater venues.

Woah, Are is only 1400 people?? It's barely big enough to be called a village. Maybe Sweden are a bit misguided here.

I don't see it being any different than when Ostersund was bidding with Are. And back then, those two remote small "villages" were proposing to host EVERYTHING. At least this time, it's not even half of the Winter Games being proposed up there.

The Are Ski Area is essentially just the ski resort with a small local population around 1500. The area/municipality around Are has about 10,000 people. And the resort is located about 100 km west of Ostersund, which has a population of about 45,000. The local international airport is on an island just west of Ostersund and the two communities are linked by a rail line. Are has hosted a number of championship competitions for various winter and summer sports and have been named one of the world's top ski resorts, so it goes without saying that they must have some sort of infrastructure in place to deal with outside visitors.

Oh. It's still quite a way from Stockholm though. I hope they can find a way to do it, but it's going to be extremely difficult.

I have a practical question. I'm not a hardcore ski-buff (though I enjoy watching it). By moving some ski events (or only the downhill, as other bids seem to propose) to another location, doesn't this mean that some athletes will have to pick and choose which events they participate in? I realize this is often an issue in other sports as well, but it seems that long distances could create especially severe scheduling problems.

What happens if somebody qualifies for slalom in Stockholm and downhill in Are? Somehow they have to squeeze in a 7 hour drive in between? I know the slalom/downhill pairing is not super common, but it's not unheardof either. Surely this scenario is not in the best interests of the athletes.

The Are Ski Area is essentially just the ski resort with a small local population around 1500. The area/municipality around Are has about 10,000 people. And the resort is located about 100 km west of Ostersund, which has a population of about 45,000.

Very comprable to PyeongChang... which will be hosting a lot more than just the Alpine events in 2018.

What happens if somebody qualifies for slalom in Stockholm and downhill in Are?

This is a good point.. You're right in that slalom/downhill is a rather rare combination for athletes in the high profile competitions, but that doesn't matter for slalom+giant slalom is normal and there are also those who can be competitive in both the technical disciplines as well as the speed disciplines.

Another problem is of course the combined event, that i've mentioned before, or the "super combined" that is now the format used for the olympics. That is one run of slalom and one run of downhill, usually at the same day. Needless to say, this can't be done if Stockholm is going to have slalom. It's not just the travel in between runs, but they need access to the course for training.

So the answer to this is that the swedish bid org will find that slalom has to be bungled up with the other alpine events in Åre.

I don't see the venue proposal?

Friends Arena is a retractable roof football stadium, so its pitch measures 105m x 68m. For ice hockey, you only need 61m x 30m. So the idea would be to build some kind of temporary wall at the half-way line to then have to seperate arenas, both with enough room for a hockey rink and 30,000 spectators. The football pitch's short sides become the hockey rinks' long sides.

It's just that it's never happened in a WOG. But there's always a first time.

Exactly! 'Bout time you're getting it. Go Stockholm 2022! ;-)