Stockholm/Are 2022?

That's only if they were supporters of Sweden in particular.

There are probably others who want a Scandinavian games, and for one reason rated Stockholm higher than Oslo. With only one to choose from now, this type of member would still choose Oslo over a non-Scandinavian bid.

I'd hope not. The Winter Olympics are in Norway's blood, they can spend less than $10 billion on the games, and it's being handed to them on a silver platter. They should take it.

If Oslo withdraw, then it is Almaty VS Krakow as far as I am concerned.

Beijing won't host the Games, unless both Oslo, Krakow and Almaty pull out. Oslo will win in my opinion. Krakow and Almaty will be a tough one for second. It's too near to the 2008 Olympics.

Oslo has already surpassed both a referendum and an analysis from an important economist group, both things which killed the Tromso and 2018/2022 WC bids before. So It's pretty much safe to say they still have lots of chances to keep going.

In the event they also resign, I think i'll support either Krakow or Lyiv.

FYI??? FYI, wherefore art thou??? :lol:

A bit of trivia:

For the record, "wherefore" means "why" not "where." When Juliet says "Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" She's asking WHY his name had to be Romeo? Why couldn't she have fallen in love with any other boy from any other family? That's why she follows it up with "Deny thy father and refuse thy name." She wishes he were not a Montague.

She is NOT saying "where are you?" She thinks she's alone and doesn't expect Romeo robe in the garden. So there you have it. "Wherefore."

Correction: not "robe", but "to be in the garden."

• Like 1

Very disappointing but not surprising news. Many of the swedish athletes are very disappointed with Stockholm's council's decision.

But this is not surprising. Right now Sweden have a gouverment that HATE sports.

Sweden and SOK can only hope that will be an another gouverment both In STHLM and Sweden in october. This will not help the bid for 2022 but in the future it will maybe help.

• 8 months later...

Stockholm regrets withdrawal of 2022 Games bid

By STEPHEN WILSON

LONDON (AP) - If the IOC is willing to reopen the bidding to host the 2022 Winter Games, Stockholm would be happy to jump back into the race.

The Swedish capital pulled out in January after politicians refused to give financial backing, becoming the first of four cities to withdraw from a field that now has only two contenders - Beijing and Almaty, Kazakhstan - in the running.

Stefan Lindeberg, president of the Swedish Olympic Committee, said Tuesday that Stockholm would not have dropped out if it knew then about the changes in the bidding process that are currently being put into place by the IOC.

Lindeberg said Stockholm would bid again now - if it had the chance - because of a "change in attitude" of the International Olympic Committee as it revamps the candidate city procedure.

"If we would have the discussion in January that we are having now, I would say we would still stay in this (race)," he said the Host City Bid to Win conference in London.

Since Stockholm's withdrawal, Krakow, Poland; Lviv, Ukraine, and Oslo have also withdrawn their bids. Before that, cities in Switzerland Germany abandoned proposed bids after they were rejected in referendums. Many cities have been scared off by the $51 billion price tag associated with this year's Winter Games in Sochi.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Lindeberg said it would make sense for the IOC to reopen the 2022 bid process to allow Stockholm and any other interested cities to join the depleted field, but acknowledged that is unlikely to happen.

After Oslo's withdrawal earlier this month, IOC President Thomas Bach ruled out reopening the bidding in the middle of the race. The host city will be selected next July at an IOC assembly in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

"There is one good argument to open up the bidding - to show the world that we are changing, and we want to do this change as quickly as possible, but I don't think it will happen," Lindeberg told the AP. "I can understand why (Bach) does not want to open the race, not wanting to show there is a crisis and whatever. I respect that."

Bach is pushing a package of reforms - "Olympic Agenda 2020" - that will be voted on by the full IOC in December in Monaco. The changes include a bid procedure that Bach called "more of an invitation for discussions and partnership with the IOC rather than just an application for a tender."

IOC vice president Craig Reedie said Sweden would be free to propose a reopening of the procedure after the reforms are voted on, but added that any change is unlikely.

"It's quite difficult to turn around to your two existing bidders who have done everything correctly and say, 'Sorry, we'd like to have a couple countries in here, so we're going to change the rules,'" Reedie told reporters. "I think it's complicated."

Lindeberg said Stockholm would start focusing on a bid for the 2026 Winter Games. Sweden has never hosted the Winter Olympics, with Ostersund, Falun and Goteborg all having mounted failed bids.

"If there's any country in the world that deserves to run the winter games, it's Sweden," Reedie said. "They have bid and bid and bid and they have never been successful. They are a major winter sports country."

Lindeberg said Stockholm backed out in January because of concerns over costs, the environment, post-games use of venues, the environment and other issues.

"All the politicians saw was risk, risk and risk," he said.

Lindeberg praised the reforms initiated by Bach on the bid process, the publication of the host city contract and the IOC commitment to provide $880 million in revenues to the host city.

"If you look at what happened since Stockholm pulled out in January, there is a change in attitude from the IOC," he said. "We can see what Thomas Bach is communicating all the time and how eager he is to listen and discuss."

Reedie, meanwhile, said the IOC was reviewing the technical manuals that were published in the Norwegian media and portrayed as making "demands" on the host city for catering to IOC members.

"Let me make this absolutely clear, they are not demands," Reedie said. "But if people believe that we are making unnecessary demands ... then we need to change the presentation."

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_307134/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=1Dpz5VRx

/\/\ Would be nice -- altho of course there is this whole issue of Russain subs lurking in Swedish waters..

http://news.usni.org/2014/10/28/lessons-swedens-sub-hunt

which is what essentially...to use a pun, sunk the Ostersund 1994 bid. So that whole thing might happen again around the time of the vote next year.

Who wants to start a petition to the IOC to allow Sweden back in? Gold Coast? Tony?? :)

Sounds a bit like inner-Scandi fighting: Why is Oslo so stupid to withdraw when the IOC is making changes?

Anyway, I don't see these changes happening yet, and certainly not for the 2022 race.

Also, let's keep in mind he's Swedish NOC head, not one of the politicians to pull the plug on Stockholm 2022 TBW. Obviously, it would be more interesting what those people have to say nowadays.

It would be sweet if they re-opened the bidding process for new and former candidates to join in the race, but I perfectly understand why the IOC won't. It is rather disrespectful to the 2 current candidates who have followed protocol since they first put in a bid. The countries who dropped out were complete idiots in doing so as either one of them who remained against Beijing and Almaty would have been a guaranteed win.

And Sweden won't fare better in 2026 against any other European bid, or even a North American bid. This was their best chance.

http://www.thelocal.se/20141028/stockholm-to-host-world-cup-ski-race

63c167ac5c6ad3450bc86ed668030f49072784be
Hammarbybacken in Stockholm. Photo: TT
World Cup ski race on 'fake' Stockholm slope

Sweden's capital will host the Alpine World Cup slalom race for the first time in 2016, with the competition taking place on the city's Hammarbybacken man-made ski slope.

The announcement was made by Sweden's Ski Federation on Tuesday.
It said that a parallel slalom race featuring the world's top slalom skiers was set to take place on February 2nd 2016 at Hammarbybacken in Stockholm's southern suburbs.
There are few hills around the Swedish capital and Hammarbybacken is a man-made slope constructed on a former rubbish dump.
Speaking after the announcement, Swedish World Cup Alpine ski star Mattias Hargin said:
"For me it's a dream to compete at home in Stockholm. Parallel slalom is very special, one of the most enjoyable races."
Sweden's Ski Federation said it was expecting a crowd of between 15,000 and 25,000 to watch the race.
Director Niklas Carlsson told Swedish television network SVT he was convinced that tickets for the event would sell out. He said that the compact hill would create a "closeness to participants" not found at other venues.

Out of the 6 Origional Bids (Stockholm, Oslo, Krakow, Beijing, Almaty and Lviv, in the order of Best to worst), Stockholm, Sweden had the Best Bid. Stockholm, Sweden could possibly Host the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, seeing as though Asia will Host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics most probably with Beijing, China.

Stefan seems quite confident that Munich, Germany won't be Bidding for the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. We also haven't heard anything about Switzerland Bidding either. So, with Europe looking most likely to Host the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics and the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, Stockholm, Sweden has a big chance to Host. IMO, comparing the Bidders for 2020 and 2022.

Stockholm 2022 was the Tokyo 2020 (Both having the strongest Bids in the races).

Oslo 2022 was the Rome 2020 (Back up plan, but obviously Rome 2020 withdrew).

Krakow 2022 was the Baku 2020 (IMO, Baku was the 3rd Best Bid for 2020, like Krakow was for 2022).

Beijing 2022 is the Madrid 2020 (4th Best Bid).

Almaty 2022 is the Istanbul 2020 (Got some supporters who can't see reality, both were rubbish Bids and weren't going to Host).

Lviv 2022 is the Doha 2020 (Both also stood no chance of Hosting, Doha should have done what Lviv done and withdrew).

Wow Tony... you managed to get almost everything wrong. Starting with the fact that Stockholm's bid was seriously damaged by the fact that is doesn't have mountains. That's a *big* problem. Not impossible to overcome. But you don't get to put them first.

PS - You do realize it annoys the crap about of people for you to keep adding "and Paralympics" and the countr for placies like Stockholm. Unless you physically are unable, STOP IT!

• Like 2

Out of the 6 Origional Bids (Stockholm, Oslo, Krakow, Beijing, Almaty and Lviv, in the order of Best to worst), Stockholm, Sweden had the Best Bid. Stockholm, Sweden could possibly Host the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, seeing as though Asia will Host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics most probably with Beijing, China.

Stefan seems quite confident that Munich, Germany won't be Bidding for the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. We also haven't heard anything about Switzerland Bidding either. So, with Europe looking most likely to Host the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics and the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, Stockholm, Sweden has a big chance to Host. IMO, comparing the Bidders for 2020 and 2022.

Most probably? What happened to 'Almaty will not host' as you even allude to in this post (in the past tense, no less, as if it has already been decided). But I digress..

We don't know how Stockholm would have (or would in 2026) fared when put in front of the IOC. If you're going to talk about the hypothetical where they stay in the 2022 race, it's unfair to talk about other bids that withdrew later than they did as if they weren't there. As zeke noted, there are some major issues with Stockholm's bid that need to be dealt with and were at least in part responsible for their departure from the 2022 bid. If they bid again in 2026, those issues will still be there. That said, would Stockholm, even with their faults, have been able to beat Beijing and Almaty in a 3-way race? Very good chance they would have. But again, and you should know this by now.. the best bid (and it's arguable where Stockholm ranks if we're talking about the original 6) isn't always the one that wins, fair or otherwise.

As for your 2020 comparisons.. why? The two (2020 and the hypothetical 2022 'could have been') were not at all alike, so what's the point in comparing them. Stockholm 2022 is not like Tokyo 2020. Tokyo won, Stockholm did not. No way to know if they would have. Baku was not the 3rd best bid for 2020. I know you said 'IMO' but considering Baku did not make the short list whereas Madrid did, that says what the IOC thought of them. And Istanbul is like Almaty? Istanbul has bid before. For the 2020, they got 26 out of the 94 votes. That means more than one quarter of the IOC chose Istanbul. Yes they had political issues that hurt their chances, but to compare them to Almaty as if the Turks can't see reality? That's a terrible assessment.

PS - You do realize it annoys the crap about of people for you to keep adding "and Paralympics" and the countr for placies like Stockholm. Unless you physically are unable, STOP IT!

I know it's a small thing, but I was thinking the same. And I'd ask the same question to GCL, who has created 2 new acronyms of WOPG and SOPG that no one else uses. I'm curious.. why do you continue to reference the Paralympics as if anyone here is unaware it's linked with the Olympics? They're awarded together, not separate. 1 comes with the other.

• Like 1

The people who don;'t like people who add the Paralympics Games with the Olympics Games shows there true colours as bigots and haters of the disabled community, You are really showing you're self nasty individuals the way you people treat people with learning disabilities is disgusting you should all be ashamed of yourself you know who you are.

The reason why I say SOPG is short for the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games and WOPG Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games and the person in charge of organising committee is the President of the Organising committee for the Olympics and Paralympics Games.