Stockholm/Are 2022?

"Considering the economic situation that most of the world is in" but you're eliminating the Chinese? Flawed logic. The IOC ain't risking their get-out-of-jail free-card for some mediocre applicant like Almaty, "potential" or not. And the Executive Board will see to that, just like they did with Doha.

That's why I'm supporting Oslo/Lillehammer. A winter Olympic Country, hasn't got much issue with human rights or pollution, and hasn't hosted the Olympics as recently as Beijing has, Summer or Winter, it's still an Olympic Games. Fair enough Lillehammer will host the 2016 Winter Youth Olympics, but Oslo is the MAIN host of the Bid, where as Beijing is the MAIN host of there Bid.

We're not talking about who will eventually host, we're talking about the short-list. And considering all things, you never know now. But Oslo could follow Stockholm's lead & bow out. Just for that possibility alone is why the reliable Chinese are in the game, regardless.

I'm a bit disappointed but not surprised by this news. The Swedes are a pragmatic bunch and while this bid had a big problem with distance to one of the venues, Swedish pragmatism proved to be the biggest gap to overcome.

I almost expect Lviv will drop out, too. And in that case, maybe the IOC will just let the remaining four pass through? But at this point, I think it will be an Oslo v. Krakow showdown. While we are definitely going to see more Olympic Games held in Asia in the future, three Asian-hosted Olympics in a row is really unlikely.

Edited by Kenadian

"Considering the economic situation that most of the world is in" but you're eliminating the Chinese? Flawed logic. The IOC ain't risking their get-out-of-jail free-card for some mediocre applicant like Almaty, "potential" or not. And the Executive Board will see to that, just like they did with Doha.

They might. Considering how compact the bid is and that the only real construction needed would be a ceremonies venue, perhaps another arena and the sliding track. No worrying leadup towards the games to get venues ready or spiraling out of control costs. Why all the hate for Almaty when they've proven they can host (and be ready on time) thanks to the hosting of the 2011 Asian Games. And if that was not enough, the city alone is set to host the 2017 Winter Universiade, which will further prove their ability to host.

However you are right about the Chinese. They're a sheer economic power. And although Beijing and whatever it's name is, is a poor choice for their bid (they should have gone with a proper winter city), they can deliver the games, even if it is as costly as the Beijing Games or even more-so than Sochi, despite having all "Ice" venues and such ready.

And now the favourite city (in general) could be Krakow.

I'm glad to hear that, but I must say that Stockholm withdrawal didn't really please Krakow bid's supporters here in Poland. Looks like the potential Stockholm votes will just transfer to Oslo in the first round, and the Norwegian capital will just wipe the floor with the other shortlisted cities.

Plus: that's another reason that could be used by the non-supporters. They have been already using St. Moritz and Munich failed referundum results as a point to withdrawal the whole bid, or at least to call a referendum in Krakow. With Stockholm cancelling the bid, they just got another bullet in their gun.

I'm glad to hear that, but I must say that Stockholm withdrawal didn't really please Krakow bid's supporters here in Poland. Looks like the potential Stockholm votes will just transfer to Oslo in the first round, and the Norwegian capital will just wipe the floor with the other shortlisted cities.

Plus: that's another reason that could be used by the non-supporters. They have been already using St. Moritz and Munich failed referundum results as a point to withdrawal the whole bid, or at least to call a referendum in Krakow. With Stockholm cancelling the bid, they just got another bullet in their gun.

Is this really a worry? Reports showed high figures of public support for the bid both in Poland and Slovakia. Are there any criteria for holding a referendum (like a certain number of signatures in a petition etc.)?

Is this really a worry? Reports showed high figures of public support for the bid both in Poland and Slovakia. Are there any criteria for holding a referendum (like a certain number of signatures in a petition etc.)?

Always be careful with such reports. How was the quesion asked. "Wouldn't it be great if the Olympics came to Poland?" Or "Should a 2% tax be implemented on all blablas to pay for infrastructure needed to bring the Olmypic cames to Poland."

I might be exaggerating here, but it looks like:

In the Internet, non-supporters largely exceed the supporters, and I haven't seen or read a single press article or TV reportage supporting the bid.

1. Jarosław Gowin and his new-established political party are already collecting the signatures in a petition. They're not really anti-olympics, they say that "the whole thing should be decided by the citizens". They need to collect 4000 signatures, and I think they'll get it.

The whole thing looks like a political thing, they just do it to be promoted in the media, and marketing-wise they propably failed (they were collecting the signatures last week, and some guy approached Jarosław Gowin and said: "You traitor!, I voted for you 3 years ago, you f***** assh****).

2. If they collect 4000 signatures, the petition goes to the Krakow City Council, which consist mostly of Civil Platform and Law and Justice, and they support the bid. But if they vote for call a referendum...

3. ... than there it is. Referendum. I can't really predict the outcome, but I'll bend towards Munich result.

The public support figures looks high but most of the supporters will just stay home in a referendum day.

Always be careful with such reports. How was the quesion asked. "Wouldn't it be great if the Olympics came to Poland?" Or "Should a 2% tax be implemented on all blablas to pay for infrastructure needed to bring the Olmypic cames to Poland."

"Do you support Krakow bid to be awarded with 2022 Olympic WInter Games?"

I dunno...I kinda think that any IOC supporters of Stockholm would not really support Oslo on two fronts:

- the geopolitical game would mean an Olympic Games in one Scandinavian country pushes the hopes of the other off by 20-30 years.

- if there's a desire to try a 'new frontier' or 'something different' neither Oslo nor Norway represent that.

In both cases, Krakow benefits.

Im not shocked with this decision. Actually I think we can expect similar one from Lviv or Beijing.

Stockholm joined the race in last possible while. Untill 14.11.2013 it wasnt clear what is decision of Stockholm. Then there was silence from Sweden and lack of governement support. Beijing is steping in the same way.

We shouldnt overpriced influence of this decision to the voting. Probably it wont make any difference. IMHO there wasnt possibility of final Oslo vs Stockholm, and in battle with Oslo, Stockholm would lost at early round. No difference votes of Stockholm would go to the other cities in 3rd round or from the very beggining of voting.

Personally I prefered Stockholm than Oslo as the city. But those miles between Are and Stockholm...

I feel Stockholm gave me as a Krakow bid supporter more emotions now ;-)

Why all the hate for Almaty when they've proven they can host (and be ready on time) thanks to the hosting of the 2011 Asian Games. And if that was not enough, the city alone is set to host the 2017 Winter Universiade, which will further prove their ability to host.

Why all the love for Almaty, should be the question. What so special there that you're so engrossed with them. Yeah, they hosted some events like the Asian Winter Games (which they didn't even host entirely themselves) but so what. Many said the same praises about Doha when they hosted the 2006 Asian Games, but that meant nothing when it came down to the knitty-gritty with the IOC. Same case here, as far as I'm concerned.

FYI??? FYI, wherefore art thou??? :lol:

Get over yourself. They WITHDREW, totally different story! :-P

Im not shocked with this decision. Actually I think we can expect similar one from Lviv or Beijing.

Stockholm joined the race in last possible while. Untill 14.11.2013 it wasnt clear what is decision of Stockholm. Then there was silence from Sweden and lack of governement support. Beijing is steping in the same way.

Is that maybe wishful thinking. I don't see where you get that Lviv (even though they really don't stand a chance) & Beijing are "stepping in the same way" as Stockholm did. The Ukraine wants it's name on the world stage, & China I'm sure wants it's first Winter Olympic Games sometime soon. So I don't see either of them exiting on their own.

Why all the love for Almaty, should be the question. What so special there that you're so engrossed with them. Yeah, they hosted some events like the Asian Winter Games (which they didn't even host entirely themselves) but so what. Many said the same praises about Doha when they hosted the 2006 Asian Games, but that meant nothing when it came down to the knitty-gritty with the IOC. Same case here, as far as I'm concerned.

Doha was/is different because of their lack of genuine sporting tradition and their insistence of hosting the games in October.

Almaty will definitely get a candidate spot (it always would have). But now has more chances to win. At least the Kazakhs are getting more experince and have some winter sports culture. At least they have more of a chance to land the Winter Games than Doha has of getting the Summer Games.

Prior to Doha submiiting it's application for the 2020 Games, they asked the IOC if it was "okay" for them to submit a bid with proposed October dates. The IOC said yes, submit it with those dates, So it wasn't really the dates.

The only way Almaty has some sort of chance of winning (& noe you're changing your tune. At first you just said candidate spot, but them not winning anyway) is if Oslo bows out too. But even then, the IOC would still have (intruiging) Krakow & (reliable) Beijing to fall back on,

I dunno...I kinda think that any IOC supporters of Stockholm would not really support Oslo on two fronts:

- the geopolitical game would mean an Olympic Games in one Scandinavian country pushes the hopes of the other off by 20-30 years.

- if there's a desire to try a 'new frontier' or 'something different' neither Oslo nor Norway represent that.

In both cases, Krakow benefits.

That's only if they were supporters of Sweden in particular.

There are probably others who want a Scandinavian games, and for one reason rated Stockholm higher than Oslo. With only one to choose from now, this type of member would still choose Oslo over a non-Scandinavian bid.

I could see Oslo doing the same thing Stockholm did before the year ends as well.

I'd hope not. The Winter Olympics are in Norway's blood, they can spend less than $10 billion on the games, and it's being handed to them on a silver platter. They should take it.