Stockholm/Are 2022?

Stockholm 2022 trade union deal will show possibility of a "clean and fair" Olympics claim Swedish officials

January 14 - Sweden's Trade Union Confederation (Sweden LO) have hailed an agreement protecting workers rights as part of Stockholm's bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics as a way to "show the possibility of a clean and fair Games".

The deal, agreed with the Swedish Olympic Committee (SOK), seeks ethical working standards for everyone who is directly or indirectly involved with the Games.

The agreement will apply to "companies that produce facilities, equipment, clothes and supply services" and is set to guarantee "union organising and collective bargaining rights, non-discrimination and freedom from forced labour and child labour."

It is being billed as an attempt to counter the accusations of worker-exploitation and violations of workers' rights which has clouded preparation for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics and Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup.

The agreement has occurred following much discussion in Sweden over the use of migrant labour particularly in Qatar, which has also led to meetings between the trade unions and other sports including football.

Swedish LO press secretary Sigrid Bøe described how her organisation will endorse Stockholm's 2022 bid in return for a "number of demands to guarantee workers rights for everyone involved."

"Everyone in Sweden will be working to Swedish work laws - those working elsewhere won't have to apply by this but they should still have agreements on working hours and security and that is what we are working towards," she told insidethegames.

"Our ambition is to show that it is possible to arrange 'clean and fair' Games.

"We also hope that if Sweden got a chance to arrange these Games it could set an example for all international sports events."

These sentiments were repeated by the General Secretary of the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) Sharan Burrow who described how "the contrast between this agreement and the deadly exploitation of migrant workers for Qatar's 2022 World Cup could not be greater,"

"We have written to International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach today to call on the IOC to meet at least the Swedish standard for all Olympics. FIFA and other global sporting bodies would do well to follow suit as should all those bidding to host events."

The announcement comes at an interesting time in the fledgling 2022 race, where Stockholm are taking on rival bids from Almaty, Beijing, Krakow, Lviv and Oslo, despite doubts about both popular and Governmental support.

Bjorn Folin, a spokesman for the SOK, told insidethegames that he was "not sure if the announcement would be an advantage for Stockholm's 2022 bid," but that it "is a sign that they are taking this important issue seriously and that it is a key part of the bid."

He insisted that they see raising ethical standards could also be a potential legacy of Stockholm 2022.

"We cannot take Swedish labour laws to places like Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Indonesia, but we can help ensure they have food standards, and we will hopefully bring sponsors on board who will do this as well," he said.

"This is a very important issue in Sweden, where labour laws and trade unions are very strong, but the IOC are looking on this more and more favourably and it is an important issure elsewhere also."

"Everybody who is working for the Olympics should have good conditions - hopefully this agreement will help in changing the situation for future Olympic Games.

Edited by Sir Rols

What does it mean? So before the announcement, Sweden wasn't going to present a 'clean and fair' Games?? Seems like a redundant statement.

It's not so much the statement as such, because all bids will issue more or less meaningful statements like that during the campaign. But I find it very funny that they openly admit this won't have any effect on the textile workers in Bangladesh etc. As if anyone had thought a potential construction site in Stockholm would treat workers like in Doha.

Ice hockey might just be held at Tele2 Arena instead. It would also be more suitable capacities there than the 2 up to 30,000 seat arenas of Friends Arena.

I agree it would be more suitable but when you can divide Friends Arena into two with 30,000 seats a piece, that's more tickets that can be sold, and therefore, more money to be made.

Stockholm drops out of the Olympic race!

http://sverigesradio...artikel=5759142

Moderates in the City says no to organize Winter Games in Stockholm 2022. This means that the whole right majority are against an application .

What do you think about the news ? Comment on this !

Posted at 10:27 am

SHARE 2 COMMENTS

- Unfortunately, it is so that we determine that it is not realistic to go in with an application for OS 2022, says Sten Nordin (M).

Why not ?

- We still need to go through the financial material and secure the economic calculations. Swedish Olympic COMMITTEE has made ​​a serious and good work, but this is very complicated economy. Calculations change.

Sten Nordin (M) also mentions another explanation ;

- We now bet on 140,000 new homes . It is an incredibly demanding applications. We must now put our focus and our money there.

In a press release writing sports Mayor Regina Kevius (M):

"To host a Winter Olympics represents a significant investment in new sports facilities , such as the bobsled and luge. Such facilities are unfortunately no need for after the Olympics ."

Centre Party and the Liberal Party has previously gone out and said that it would be too expensive for Stockholm taxpayers to arrange an OS.

Earlier today even left the Christian Democrats a no. The party says it does not want to speculate with taxpayer money .

Thus it is clear that the City of Stockholm does not submit any Olympic bid .

Edited by NorwayOlympics

So no more Stockholm bid. I can't say I'm shocked that they fired it but I'm surprised they dropped out this early. Didn't even make it to the bid books. Week I guess it makes it easier to pick the candidates...

That was a certainty, unfortunately. Shame that they won't bid, but it's probably the right choice. I can see Oslo going the same way, seeing this. I don't want to say it, but this might just leave Beijing as the favourite :(

Beijing won't host the Games, unless both Oslo, Krakow and Almaty pull out. Oslo will win in my opinion. Krakow and Almaty will be a tough one for second. It's too near to the 2008 Olympics.

It's not really about "it's to near to the 2008 Olympics", though. For starters, those were Summer Games, not winter. And when the IOC is seeing first-hand now, caliber cities running away, Munich, St. Moritz & now Stockholm, it's now more important than ever in choosing who's gonna be a good, reliable partner to deliver the Games. Many said the said the same about Japan for 2020, but that's who the IOC chose in the end anyway.

With that said, I agree that Beijing won't necessarily host the 2022 games, but I can't see the IOC giving to that nice Chinese insurance policy just for the sake of untested Almaty. I believe the Exective Board will be iffy, just like they were with Doha, on whether or not to include Almaty on the short-list. But in end they'll leave them behind, just like Doha.

*I can't see the IOC giving up that nice..

It's not really about "it's to near to the 2008 Olympics", though. For starters, those were Summer Games, not winter. And when the IOC is seeing first-hand now, caliber cities running away, Munich, St. Moritz & now Stockholm, it's now more important than ever in choosing who's gonna be a good, reliable partner to deliver the Games. Many said the said the same about Japan for 2020, but that's who the IOC chose in the end anyway.

With that said, I agree that Beijing won't necessarily host the 2022 games, but I can't see the IOC giving to that nice Chinese insurance policy just for the sake of untested Almaty. I believe the Exective Board will be iffy, just like they were with Doha, on whether or not to include Almaty on the short-list. But in end they'll leave them behind, just like Doha.

*I can't see the IOC giving up that nice..

It was a completely different story with Tokyo 2020. Tokyo as a city, last hosted the Games in 1964 and will host in 2020 (56 Years), where as Beijing (Regardless of Summer and Winter) last hosted in 2008 and is Bidding for 2022 (14 Years), 56 years is a BIG difference to 14 Years.

You're contradicting yourself. You're comparing Japan's two Summer Olympics, but then try to use China's Summer (& only) Olympics against their WINTER bid. Going by that, then 2008 SUMMER should have no bearing on 2022 WINTER. And again, it's not about that anyway. It's really about who the IOC can count on the most at this point.

It was a completely different story with Tokyo 2020. Tokyo as a city, last hosted the Games in 1964 and will host in 2020 (56 Years), where as Beijing (Regardless of Summer and Winter) last hosted in 2008 and is Bidding for 2022 (14 Years), 56 years is a BIG difference to 14 Years.

I agree with Tony. This does look sorta like 2020 in that Oslo is the former host with the 1952 games 60 years prior. That's going to be a bigger advantage than Beijing's 14 year since from the 2008 games. The way I see it is that this could come down to a race between Oslo and Krakow of the ION really does embrace Bach's call fire more creative bids.

I don't see 14 years between Beijing SOG and WOG being an issue. Had Rome stayed for 2020, I think they would've won handily, despite Torino 2006. PC 2018 and Tokyo 2020 taken in combination will hurt Beijing more. And then there's the technical and non-quantifiable issues.

I don't see 14 years between Beijing SOG and WOG being an issue. Had Rome stayed for 2020, I think they would've won handily, despite Torino 2006. PC 2018 and Tokyo 2020 taken in combination will hurt Beijing more. And then there's the technical and non-quantifiable issues.

Your missing the point. If ROME won, TURIN is a different city. BEIJING hosted 2008 and BEIJING Bidding for 2022.

And YOU'RE missing the MAIN point. The way these premier cities are dropping like flies now, the IOC would be extremely lucky to have even the "recent" Chinese on the final ballot in Kuala Lumpur.

Alot of speculation about Cities dropping out. 2012 = 5 Cities Bidding (Including my London and we won, sorry had to add that in), 2014 (3 Cities), 2016 (5 Cities), 2018 (3 Cities), 2020 (5 Cities). 2022 (5 Cities), and some are assuming and making a big issue like it's a trend just because 1 City pulled out in 2020 bid, and 1 so far in 2022. More cities are sticking with an official bid than pulling out.

And YOU'RE missing the MAIN point. The way these premier cities are dropping like flies now, the IOC would be extremely lucky to have even the "recent" Chinese on the final ballot in Kuala Lumpur.

...which is kind of funny given how the IOC boasted with having twice as many applicants than 2018...

Quality and Quantity don't seem to be different concepts in Lausanne, but the awakening may be rude.

...which is kind of funny given how the IOC boasted with having twice as many applicants than 2018...

Quality and Quantity don't seem to be different concepts in Lausanne, but the awakening may be rude.

Alot of speculation about Cities dropping out. 2012 = 5 Cities Bidding (Including my London and we won, sorry had to add that in), 2014 (3 Cities), 2016 (5 Cities), 2018 (3 Cities), 2020 (5 Cities). 2022 (5 Cities), and some are assuming and making a big issue like it's a trend just because 1 City pulled out in 2020 bid, and 1 so far in 2022. More cities are sticking with an official bid than pulling out.

2012, 2014 and 2016 had more bids, you can't take the shortlisted numbers for some and the overall ones for others.

As for quantity, see my post above.

Ok. Candidate Cities - 2012 = 5, 2014 = 3, 2016 = 4, 2018 = 3 and 2020 = 3. And I predict that 2022 will have 3 Candidate Cities if 5 Cities are still in Applicant Phase, as a 3 Horse Race would be more interesting than 2, and they won't eliminate just 1 city, so Lviv and Beijing will be eliminated in my opinion, so considering the economical situation most of the World is in, that is not a bad number of Candidate Cities. Really, it should be the odd 1 or 2 left with the economical situation.

"Considering the economic situation that most of the world is in" but you're eliminating the Chinese? Flawed logic. The IOC ain't risking their get-out-of-jail free-card for some mediocre applicant like Almaty, "potential" or not. And the Executive Board will see to that, just like they did with Doha.