Stockholm/Are 2022?

If the WOG's have outgrown Norway and Sweden, then there is something seriously wrong with the WOG's.

It has outgrown the areas where Sweden has the mountains. Ostersund is environmentally, logistically and financially not viable any more. Norway has Oslo and Trondheim.

It's not much more distant from suitable Bulgarian mountains than Stockholm is from Åre ;-)

Turkey has suitable mountains within their own boarders.

If the Winter Olympics have outgrown a country like Sweden (10 million citizens, 129 winter medals, a $400 billion economy, and a strong culture of winter sport) or Norway (5 million citizens, 303 winter medals, a $300 billion economy, and an even stronger culture of winter sport), than how can South Africa entertain the idea of the much much much larger Summer Games? Just because Russia's estimated spend for the Sochi Olympics is $50 billion, basically the total economy of Uruguay or Uganda or a tenth the size of South Africa's, doesn't mean that others have to do the same. The highest estimates put Vancouver's Games at a seemingly bargain $6 billion. And a big chunk of that was picked up by the province of British Columbia (4.5 million people and a $200 billion economy). So while the Winter Games have grown bigger in the last 30 years (from 1200 athletes in 40 events in Sarajevo to 2500+ athletes in about 100 events in Sochi), a well organized country with a good infrastructure, a sound economy and a solid vision can pull it off.

Edited by Kenadian

If the Winter Olympics have outgrown a country like Sweden (10 million citizens, 129 winter medals, a $400 billion economy, and a strong culture of winter sport) or Norway (5 million citizens, 303 winter medals, a $300 billion economy, and an even stronger culture of winter sport), than how can South Africa entertain the idea of the much much much larger Summer Games? Just because Russia's estimated spend for the Sochi Olympics is $50 billion, basically the total economy of Uruguay or Uganda or a tenth the size of South Africa's, doesn't mean that others have to do the same. The highest estimates put Vancouver's Games at a seemingly bargain $6 billion. And a big chunk of that was picked up by the province of British Columbia (4.5 million people and a $200 billion economy). So while the Winter Games have grown bigger in the last 30 years (from 1200 athletes in 40 events in Sarajevo to 2500+ athletes in about 100 events in Sochi), a well organized country with a good infrastructure, a sound economy and a solid vision can pull it off.

Because the 5 rings have not touched African soil while the Rings have played Scandinavia 5x already (including the 1956 Equestrian Games). The WOGS have not outgrown the major cities of Oslo and Stockholm -- except that their mountain components are at some distance, thus making other bids w/ closer snow venues more competitive. And 'winter culture' to me also means 'been there-done that.' If I were an IOC member, I would tilt my vote to newer cities...rather than another boring Scandinavian Games. I mean we've seen the trolls and the Vetti already.

(Sorry, Rols, I know you're wishing for a Swedish Games, and I am too, but they have to come up with a realistic plan or not at all.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Because the 5 rings have not touched African soil while the Rings have played Scandinavia 5x already (including the 1956 Equestrian Games).

No, only three times. And Sweden only once over 101 years ago! 1956 doesn't count. Shouldn't hold that against them simply bcuz the Australians had strict quarantine laws at the time. And that wasn't even for a Winter Games. Sweden is to the Winter Olympics what South Africa is to the Summer Olympics; the Final Frontier!

The WOGS have not outgrown the major cities of Oslo and Stockholm -- except that their mountain components are at some distance, thus making other bids w/ closer snow venues more competitive.

How are bids that have either no winter infrastructure, or are joint bids, or are too questionable, or who's one domestics Alpine city competitive angle is "where not as 'polluted' as Harbin" being "more competitive".

And 'winter culture' to me also means 'been there-done that.' If I were an IOC member, I would tilt my vote to newer cities...rather than another boring Scandinavian Games. I mean we've seen the trolls and the Vetti already.

Isn't that what many were saying about "boring" Japan, too. Including yourself at the beginning. With the lack-luster 2022 newbie applicants, this race has another potential of being the 2020 winter version. Especially when you already have senior IOC members not too thrilled over the bow outs of other "been there, done those" like Munich & St. Moritz.

No, only three times. And Sweden only once over 101 years ago! 1956 doesn't count. Shouldn't hold that against them simply bcuz the Australians had strict quarantine laws at the time. And that wasn't even for a Winter Games. Sweden is to the Winter Olympics what South Africa is to the Summer Olympics; the Final Frontier!

How are bids that have either no winter infrastructure, or are joint bids, or are too questionable, or who's one domestics Alpine city competitive angle is "where not as 'polluted' as Harbin" being "more competitive".

5 - Oslo and Helsinki 1952; Stockholm 1912 AND '52 (I count that because it had its own Torch Relay, Opening Ceremony, all the kings and queens, etc.,, etc.) and Lilly Hammer '94. So that really makes 5.

When was "Sweden" ordained as to your statement? Never saw that--except here. W/o going around in circles, I just think that just becuz it's Sweden bidding, it doesn't really bring the 528km/7+ hrs ride ANY Closer to the 2 hour difference that the other bids are offering.

I actually believe the shortlist would be Stockholm, Krakow and Almaty. Yes, your worshipped Oslo would be out, as many said here, there is nothing new to offer or any legacy to leave. The IOC voters just use the WOG as a consolation prize for those cities which attempted to get the SOG. So, this time Sweden has a lot of chances, as well as Krakow (for being geographically far away from Sochi and in time by PC) and Almaty (the same case of Krakow).

Because the 5 rings have not touched African soil...

And 'winter culture' to me also means 'been there-done that.'

Number one might be a compelling enough reason if Africa didn't have more pressing matters. Someday, an African Olympics might be possible. But right now, I think it would be immoral for the IOC to have a lavish party in a region with so many serious and difficult problems.

And number two, in my experience, if a country doesn't have a 'winter culture', that's because it probably doesn't have snow.

I actually believe the shortlist would be Stockholm, Krakow and Almaty. Yes, your worshipped Oslo would be out, as many said here, there is nothing new to offer or any legacy to leave. The IOC voters just use the WOG as a consolation prize for those cities which attempted to get the SOG. So, this time Sweden has a lot of chances, as well as Krakow (for being geographically far away from Sochi and in time by PC) and Almaty (the same case of Krakow).

That's a pretty glib and reckless interpretation of the Winter Olympics. Torino, Vancouver and Sochi were successful bids in their own right because they earned it, not because Rome, Toronto and Moscow were failed bids. The people of Italy, Canada and Russia did not need to be consoled when they lost the summer games just like the French, the Turks, or the Spanish who faced multiple losses.

Yeah, Africa (as a continent) does have more pressing matters, but South Africa (as a country) doesn't have anymore than places like China, Brazil & Russia that have been awarded the Games. I'd say it's just as "immoral" for the IOC to have allowed the Russians (by giving them the Games in the first place, knowing full well they had to build everything from scratch) & spend $50 Billion for a WINTER Olympics & making it the most expensive Olympics ever while so many live in poverty in Russia. At least South Africa is being more pragmatic about this, & the IOC is not that dumb to expect the same type of grandiose from the South Africans.

5 - Oslo and Helsinki 1952; Stockholm 1912 AND '52 (I count that because it had its own Torch Relay, Opening Ceremony, all the kings and queens, etc.,, etc.) and Lilly Hammer '94. So that really makes 5.

Finland isn't technically part of Scandinavia, that is often a misconception. And you may count 1956, but the record books don't. And neither does the IOC by not recognizing it as an official Olympiad. So that still only makes three for Scandinavia & just one for Sweden. But lets just agree to disagree, okay. ;)

FYI's passion for Stockholm surprises me. Where does that come from? Do you have Swedish heritage or do you just like the idea of Swedish Games?

Uhh, like I told Baron when he asked me the same thing, no I don't have Swedish heritage. Why does one have to have Swedish heritage or whatever simply bcuz one is in favor of Stockholm 2022.

Were the many here that were so 'passionately' in support of Munich all of German heritage. I know that some were, but not all who were. Or can we ask the same of the ones that are all hot & bothered over over-rated Almaty. I just objectively believe that Sweden has a genuine case for 2022, that's all. No "Sweden hermitage", or Swedish boyfriend/girlfriend or whatever is influencing my opinion here.

FYI's passion for Stockholm surprises me. Where does that come from? Do you have Swedish heritage or do you just like the idea of Swedish Games?

One popular theory is that the users of gamebids generally base their affections on whether they find the people (of the relevant gender) of the bidding nation sexually attractive.

For the record, I'm on the fence about this theory.

• Like 1

And 'winter culture' to me also means 'been there-done that.'

This is a good point.

I suggest the next winter games should be held during summer, anywhere in the world.

There are already working solutions to most disciplines. Skijumping is done with porcelain track and plastic grass. Other variations of skiing would be done with "rolling skis"; the sliding events could take place in a water world. Ehm.., there would be some challenges with the alpine race, but nothing that can't be fixed with a big screen, takeout pizza and the latest PS console.

When we've been there, we should perhaps aim for the moon, but the differing gravitational acceleration will then pose a real challenge for our ingenuity, but I guess that's what's gonna it so much fun.

:-)