Stockholm/Are 2022?

The Stockholm bid would actually mean 2 villages -- one in Stockholm and the other one in Are.

Vancouver - what was it? Sea and Snow?

Torino - Passion Lives here

Salt lake - Light the Fire Within!!

For the 2022 candidates:

Krakow (180 km) - Not so Tired!

Oslo - (what is it) - Tired!

Beijing-whatever that other city is - More Tired!!

Stockholm-Are - (400 mi) Most tired!!

:lol::lol:

No government financial support

No hope of success

Especially when considering the utterly ridiculous distances between Stockholm and Are

After all, Oslo can always be persuaded to use Norefjell which is 130km from the city.

Even still Oslo-Kvitfjell is 228km, Stockholm-Are is 634km, Beijing-Zhangjiakou 194km, Lviv-Volovets 185km, Krakow-Jasna 181km ....

Stockholm's distances make their bid an utter nonsense.

• Like 2

No hope of success

Especially when considering the utterly ridiculous distances between Stockholm and Are

Even still Oslo-Kvitfjell is 228km, Stockholm-Are is 634km, Beijing-Zhangjiakou 194km, Lviv-Volovets 185km, Krakow-Jasna 181km ....

Agreed. What's Almaty's distance?

But you need the Swedish bid in there to split the western Euro votes.

So, Krakow-Jasna is still the closest of the 6 , even at 181 km. Reno to the Tahoe slopes is only like 55km!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

No hope of success

After all, Oslo can always be persuaded to use Norefjell which is 130km from the city.

DEF agreed. ;)

Lol, I read this thread from the start.

"It's not paranoia if they're really after you"

LOL! Not sure what she'll make of me now.

I've been a consistent dreamer and supporter for a Swedish WOG bid. But this one????

Okay, it's all very well these days to have a separate village and locale for the alpine events, but Are is not something you can do as a day trip from Stockholm and back again. It really does split it into two games. Great for me - I have family not far from Ostersund, but not great for the average Olympic tourist staying in Stockholm. I'll get behind the bid if it moves forward - a Swedish WOGs is about my last personal Olympic dream. But sure not with any confidence. I guess she'll despise me for not being a gung-ho believer.

• Like 1

It would be very cool to have the Olympics in Vladimir Smirnov's home country. He will prob have a major role in promoting the bid, I'd guess.

Almaty/Astana held the 2011 winter games. They're also staging the 2017 winter universiade. They've already invested 1,2 billion usd probably in hopes for an eventual winter olympics.

Of the asian competitors, Almaty is clearly my fav.

It would be very cool to have the Olympics in Vladimir Smirnov's home country. He will prob have a major role in promoting the bid, I'd guess.

Almaty/Astana held the 2011 winter games. They're also staging the 2017 winter universiade. They've already invested 1,2 billion usd probably in hopes for an eventual winter olympics.

Of the asian competitors, Almaty is clearly my fav.

Lots of off topic in many threads.. I'll take this in the Almaty thread.

surely with Munich out of contention - these are Stockholm's to lose?

they have a compelling case - 1st to host both summer and winter and they had a succession of failed bids in the 80's and 90's if I remember well. Sweden has a great Olympic tradition but have not seen the games since 1912. It's too soon after Lillehammer for Oslo and too soon after Korea for China and Alamty?

• Like 1

Sweden has a great Olympic tradition but have not seen the games since 1912. It's

too soon after Lillehammer for Oslo and too soon after Korea for China and Alamty?

Well, they were graced with the Olympic rings in 1956, albeit only for the Equestrian events. Nonetheless, that is marked in the history boox.

" IOC President Jacques Rogge later stated that with the distance of 240 kilometers (150 mi) between Oslo and the Alpine venues would make it impossible to be selected."

If 240km is too far, 600km most certainly is as it cannot be resolved by high speed rail ..... only aircraft and lets not forget, planes to fly to Are, they fly to Ostersund and then there is additional road travel

surely with Munich out of contention - these are Stockholm's to lose?

they have a compelling case - 1st to host both summer and winter and they had a succession of failed bids in the 80's and 90's if I remember well. Sweden has a great Olympic tradition but have not seen the games since 1912. It's too soon after Lillehammer for Oslo and too soon after Korea for China and Alamty?

I would honestly be surprised Stockholm will even be shortlisted. The venue plan just doesn't work.

I would honestly be surprised Stockholm will even be shortlisted. The venue plan just doesn't work.

Then be prepared to be surprised. If Stockholm bids & they have everything in check, like government backing & a workable solution to their main weakness, there's no way the IOC is going to turn it's back on it. The only thing about the venue plan that doesn't work at this moment is the distance to Are. Everything else is there; the infrastructure, the narrative, a traditional winter sports power in a country that hasn't seen the Olymics in over a century. There's too much there to shut them out right away without hearing them out first.

• Like 1

Then be prepared to be surprised. If Stockholm bids & they have everything in check, like government backing & a workable solution to their main weakness, there's no way the IOC is going to turn it's back on it. The only thing about the venue plan that doesn't work at this moment is the distance to Are. Everything else is there; the infrastructure, the narrative, a traditional winter sports power in a country that hasn't seen the Olymics in over a century. There's too much there to shut them out right away without hearing them out first.

The Swedish government have already said they will not provide financial support and will not provide any financial guarantees

Rogge said a lot of things in his time, unfortunately little of it had substance, as it turned out.

Except he has also said it for other bids, for example when Harbin failed to be a contender for the WYOG in 2012

That's sort of nontrivial...

Surely, someone in the Swedish OC must realize that that distance is unsustainable in a credible bid. I think they are preparing to present a completely split bid wherein the snow and the ice athletes are NOT going to be housed in the same Village. So; the IOC family and spectators too would really have to plan their time. Now, why the SOC thinks that is a viable plan, is the big question. Pillan? Pillan?????

How did Rio 2016 overcome the perception & reality of seperating the ceremonies & the athletics for the first time ever. How did Vancouver 2010 overcome the perception & reality of having the first indoor ceremonies ever. I don't see this being that much different if there's a reasonable solution to the problem when it comes to a compelling candidate. I think Sweden is to the Winter Olympics what South Africa is to the Summer Olympics: "the Final Frontier".