Stockholm/Are 2022?

It seems to be closer to reality. I'm not sure the olympic committee would have been so public about the feasibility study if they weren't going somewhere with it. Most commentaries seem to agree that it is worth going for. But a definitive announcement hasn't yet been made.

• 3 weeks later...

Stockholm still "hopeful" of bid for 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics

November 8 Stockholm_has_hosted_an_Olympic_Games_on- Stockholm is optimistic that they will join the field to host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics with a decision due next week.

A spokesman for the Swedish Olympic Committee (SOK) told insidethegames they were "hopeful" a bid could be put together but that "no decision either way has been made yet".

But he then added: "We are hoping to make an official announcement by Tuesday (November 12) next week."

That is just two days before the November 14 deadline set by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for cities to announce they are bidding.

Earlier this year, SOK claimed that there was popular support for a Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Sweden.

But there appears to be less enthusiasm from the Swedish Government in launching a bid for 2022 after a number of failed bids in recent years.

Stockholm, which hosted the Summer Olympics in 1912, was a candidate for the 2004 Summer Olympics but lost out to Athens in the final round, while Winter Games bids from Gothenburg in 1984, Falun in 1988 and 1992, and Östersund in 1998 and 2002 all proved unsuccessful.

It led to a mood of resignation amongst Swedish Government officials that any future bids would be futile and a waste of money.

But, speaking to insidethegames in June, SOK President Stefan Lindeberg claimed he was confident that a Winter Games in Stockholm would prove a huge success.

He cited the example of Sochi 2014 which has built everything from scratch, whereas Stockholm already has good transport links, hotels and infrastructure, he claimed, as well as a number of quality venues, which would mean the costs of any bid would be greatly reduced.

"Stockholm will be of perfect size for the Winter Games offering top quality without extravagant extraordinary investments just for the Games," Lindeberg told insidethegames.

"Cost efficient and sustainable bringing sports and the Olympic spirit, also as a legacy, into the city landscape and the daily life of its people."

When Sweden lost, they lost with little ski villages hundreds of miles from anything. Their government needs to realise that the name Stockholm could be all they need. What if the IOC members always wanted Sweden the country, but didn't want to stay in the wilderness of Östersund or Falun?

I think Östersund could have won, it wasn't that the IOC weren't interested just that other places made bigger bribes or had more compelling reasons to get the Games. But that was another era and now Stockholm is Sweden's only realistic chance. Östersund could host a great Games but with the IOC's insistance on legacy venues they can't risk a bunch of empty white elephants in the snow.

I asked this question in another thread last night about what's up with Stockholm, since they've been very quiet lately. So looks like here's the answer.

The date of November 12th seems interesting, just two days AFTER the Munich referendum. I could why they would have some cold feet going up against Munich. But they could certainly take on Oslo & even Beijing, & mop the floor with the rest.

If they bid, they need to focus on a solution on their one & only biggest weakness, & that is the distance to Are. The narrative is virtually there, so I can't see why they really wouldn't be competitive in this race otherwise. But obviously the call is theirs to make.

When Sweden lost, they lost with little ski villages hundreds of miles from anything. Their government needs to realise that the name Stockholm could be all they need. What if the IOC members always wanted Sweden the country, but didn't want to stay in the wilderness of Östersund or Falun?

I think Falun and Östersund are both bigger than Lillehammer when the 94 WOG were awarded, so that can't have been the rason at the time.

I certainly hope Stockholm bids. I love watching bid races with tons of cities, and this one certainly has that written all over it. 7 cities bidding for one winter olympics? Much more entertaining than 2020. If Munich doesn't bid, and Stockholm does, I would tend to think Stockholm would be the favorite over Oslo.

So Munich out, will Stockholm take on Oslo after all?

It certainly sounds like it. They didn't come out with the "yes we will" statement but the mere fact that they are to decide on Tuesday, 2 days after the Munich vote, makes it sound like they were definitely waiting on the Munich result. Now that Munich said no, I'm pretty sure Sweden stands a pretty good chance of saying yes

It's on!

However the wording is cautious...

The three presidents of the Swedish Olympic Committe, the Swedish Paralympic Committee and the Swedish Sports Confederation emphasised that further investigations must demonstrate that the project is financially responsible vibrant and sustainable economically, socially and environmentally.

"We could give the world an exciting, innovative project that is both spectacular and in a unique way for the winter sports in the metropolis which provides new opportunities for sport for young people and athletes , which can already inspire and engage many around in Sweden.
- But it must be economically feasible and does not take resources away from other important areas of society."

• Like 1

Here's what might be the most ironic thing about a Stockholm/Are 2022 bid. They might lose to the bi-national bid of Krakow and Poprad-Tatry becuz the Polish bid can point out that in 1956, the Summer Olympics were staged in TWO different countries: most of the events in Melbourne, Australia, and.....trumpets blare.....the Equestrian events were staged in S-t-o-c-k-h-o-l-m, Sweden!! Now, wouldn't that be supreme irony if a Stockholm bid lost to another bi-national bid??? :wacko:

And 1956 actually makes both Norway and Sweden two 2-time Olympic hosts! (winter 1952 and 1994 for Norway; and summer 1912 and Equestrian 1956 for Sweden). So that can cancel each other out and work in Krakow's favor.

Tres, tres incroyable!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

May Heaven

Here's what might be the most ironic thing about a Stockholm/Are 2022 bid. They might lose to the bi-national bid of Krakow and Poprad-Tatry becuz the Polish bid can point out that in 1956, the Summer Olympics were staged in TWO different countries: most of the events in Melbourne, Australia, and.....trumpets blare.....the Equestrian events were staged in S-t-o-c-k-h-o-l-m, Sweden!! Now, wouldn't that be supreme irony if a Stockholm bid lost to another bi-national bid??? :wacko:

And 1956 actually makes both Norway and Sweden two 2-time Olympic hosts! (winter 1952 and 1994 for Norway; and summer 1912 and Equestrian 1956 for Sweden). So that can cancel each other out and work in Krakow's favor.

Tres, tres incroyable!!

May Heaven hear you....

I do not believe a second in their ability to give us something exciting, creative, or great.

400 km between Stock. and Are ? You must be kidding. That bid has no reason to be, especially with Oslo already bidding and who, though I grew more tepid about them lately, present a far more relevant project. I do not think either that the huge distances is the only problem, that bid's narrative is inexistant and much weaker than that of Oslo and even weaker than that of Beijing / Krakow.

Next...

May Heaven

May Heaven hear you....

I do not believe a second in their ability to give us something exciting, creative, or great.

400 km between Stock. and Are ? You must be kidding. That bid has no reason to be, especially with Oslo already bidding and who, though I grew more tepid about them lately, present a far more relevant project. I do not think either that the huge distances is the only problem, that bid's narrative is inexistant and much weaker than that of Oslo and even weaker than that of Beijing / Krakow.

Next...

Just out of curiousity:-)

When it comes to the winter games, could you give an example of "exciting, creative or great"? I'm genuinely interested in what you have in mind and why Stockholm wouldn't offer that given that they do build all these outdoor venues (sadly (depends on POV), not going to happen).

What have the narratives been for the previous hosts: Vancouver, Torino, Salt Lake City? What are they for the competitors from Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Poland/Slovakia and China? I don't know how many great WG narratives there are or have been.

Sweden is a traditional winter sports nation with enthusiastic crowds, haven't yet hosted though applied 6 times. Just look at how many forumers here that want it in Sweden. That's not a bad narrative.. There's also the urban ski metropol part though questionable since Stockholm doesn't host outdoor events or have much ski terrain.

There aren't that many possible winter olympics narratives. There's a kiwi living in Molde that's very active online (SSC, airliners.net etc. I'm sure he's got a user here as well), and he always argues that New Zealand should host the WG. Now that would be a narrative. But how great an olympics would it really be? There are endless problems. Scheduling and local interest being two obvious ones.

Åre-Stockholm 600 km.. (400 miles)

The Stockholm bid would actually mean 2 villages -- one in Stockholm and the other one in Are.

What have the narratives been for the previous hosts: Vancouver, Torino, Salt Lake City?

Vancouver - what was it? Sea and Snow?

Torino - Passion Lives here

Salt lake - Light the Fire Within!!

For the 2022 candidates:

Krakow-Jasna (180 km) - Not so Tired!

Beijing-Yankee Joe (194 km) - Tired!!

Oslo- Kvitfjell ( 228 km) - More Tired!

Stockholm-Are - (400 mi) Most tired!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1