Stockholm/Are 2022?

If everything else is in check & the only major deficiency with the bid is the distance to Are, but could be limited with the number of venues that would actually be placed there, then it could very well be a contender. Especially with the nostalgia factor that Sweden has never hosted the Winter Olympics & the only Olympics that they ever have hosted was over 100 years ago. It would/could give Munich, & even Oslo, a could run for their money, & it certainly would make a 2022 race very exciting to see all of those three duke it out.

The thing that would still be a concern, is the accommodations & the transportation to get to Are from Stockholm. Even if it's still eight events there, would they still build a satalite village. I'm actually starting to get very intrigued with this & can't wait to see more of their plans.

*It would/could give Oslo, & even Munich, a 'good' run for their money.

LOL. Usually I'm the keen, optimistic, rose-coloured glasses one when it comes to Swedish winter bids, and you're the sceptic. I still have my doubts about this plan, but that said, would be nice to see it go ahead and see how they sell it.

Stockholm to Are 7 hours

Beijing to Hong Kong is roughly 20 hours

I think for Sweden the IOC would make the exception and its not like Sweden and their delightful Princesses would have to win over 110 hardcore winter sport people. Just 55 tropical people that think a trip to Sweden in mid winter might be fun.

Well, if it's not a typical winter cluster in Are, just putting what is absolutely necessary there, the more important thing is would it make the short-list in the first place. If it would, then I can't see it being more of a problem than Munich's plan. Yeah, Munich's would be more compact but they have four clusters altogether at still two hours away. With Stockholm, it looks like most of the events will be in the city.

The distance really does seem like a problem to me. This is an area where it would be nice to poll the IOC prior to mounting a bid. Would they seriously consider this layout or not? The answer would be quite clarifying.

Maybe they have already done that.

I have to say despite my wishful thinking I didn't think it would be viable but my thoughts have changed and I think Stockholm could actually deliver a very compelling bid.

This is the polar (pun unintended) opposite of the 2020 race. Bar Almaty, all 4 of the main possibles look like great places to hold the games. Could be a very close vote, maybe Mr Bach could need to do more than just announce the winner at his first host city election :lol:

Maybe they have already done that.

I have to say despite my wishful thinking I didn't think it would be viable but my thoughts have changed and I think Stockholm could actually deliver a very compelling bid.

I agree. I thought the same initially, but if the government gets totally behind it, & the bid team addresses this main weakness of the bid with a good viable solution then I can totally see the IOC making an exception in their case.

They made exceptions with Sochi having to build virtually everything from scratch. They made one with PyeongChang not knowing how well the South Koreans will truly embrace the Winter Games. And Rio with their very spread out 4-cluster concept, that needs massive transportation infrastructure upgrades to connect them all. Not to mention the seperation of athletics & the ceremonies for the very first time.

So Sweden could benefit from such, too. A true winter sports power that's never hosted a winter Games. Not to mention all their previous failed attempts could bring them some sympathy votes as well. But it's obviously not something that they want to focus on, but maybe somehow in the background. Stockholm makes so much sense too in many, many ways much more than Ostersund does. Just a darn shame Are is so far away. But I have some faith that the Swedes could come up with a good solution to their problem. They could make it work

• Like 1

I agree. I thought the same initially, but if the government gets totally behind it, & the bid team addresses this main weakness of the bid with a good viable solution then I can totally see the IOC making an exception in their case.

They made exceptions with Sochi having to build virtually everything from scratch. They made one with PyeongChang not knowing how well the South Koreans will truly embrace the Winter Games. And Rio with their very spread out 4-cluster concept, that needs massive transportation infrastructure upgrades to connect them all. Not to mention the seperation of athletics & the ceremonies for the very first time.

So Sweden could benefit from such, too. A true winter sports power that's never hosted a winter Games. Not to mention all their previous failed attempts could bring them some sympathy votes as well. But it's obviously not something that they want to focus on, but maybe somehow in the background. Stockholm makes so much sense too in many, many ways much more than Ostersund does. Just a darn shame Are is so far away. But I have some faith that the Swedes could come up with a good solution to their problem. They could make it work

Completely agree and the IOC now has experience with one federation hosting events a considerable distance between the host and a secondary venue with Beijing/Hong Kong. With 90+% of events hosted in and around Stockholm I think the IOC would be very willing to go, especially if the other bids are Krakow, Lviv and Almaty.

This is the polar (pun unintended) opposite of the 2020 race. Bar Almaty, all 4 of the main possibles look like great places to hold the games. Could be a very close vote, maybe Mr Bach could need to do more than just announce the winner at his first host city election :lol:

What's wrong with Almaty? I really liked their 2014 bid. Their biggest problem is geopolitical. It does seem soon after Sochi and Pyeongchang. Same could be said for Lviv.

What's wrong with Almaty? I really liked their 2014 bid. Their biggest problem is geopolitical. It does seem soon after Sochi and Pyeongchang. Same could be said for Lviv.

It would bring up similar problems the Sochi Games have brought up. Not sure if the IOC would be willing to a year after Sochi.

I agree, far too soon after PyeongChang and Sochi and another new frontier trying to prove itself and outdo everyone else in the world. I think there will be a real appetite to go to something more traditional and established. And whilst the venues would offer a new model, in many ways Stockholm could be the ideal host city. As could Munich.

I agree, far too soon after PyeongChang and Sochi and another new frontier trying to prove itself and outdo everyone else in the world. I think there will be a real appetite to go to something more traditional and established. And whilst the venues would offer a new model, in many ways Stockholm could be the ideal host city. As could Munich.

I agree with this. I was just taking issue with the idea that Almaty's bid was going to be substandard and lackluster. I expect it to be pretty strong, just ill-timed.

What happened? The responses to a Stockholm/Åre 2022 seems much more positiv now. Why?

Anyway, go Stockholm and Sweden. It's really time for a swedish wog,

Maybe it was a better plan bid -Albeit with conceirns and doubts-, an excellent presentator like markus -Not like you did in the other discussion-.

My question is do they need to call it Stockholm/Åre? It's only few events that will held in Åre. Why not just call it Stockholm 2022? That would make it clear that is Stockholm that will host WOG 2022 with only little help from Åre.

Maybe it was a better plan bid -Albeit with conceirns and doubts-, an excellent presentator like markus -Not like you did in the other discussion-.

Well the problem is rather that people critiqize bids even before they seen the plans.

Yes Markun have done great work here but still it's easier to do that with the plans that have been presented.

My question is do they need to call it Stockholm/Åre? It's only few events that will held in Åre. Why not just call it Stockholm 2022? That would make it clear that is Stockholm that will host WOG 2022 with only little help from Åre.

It wouldn't be called Stockholm/Are anyway. It would just be Stockholm 2022 regardless, since the Olympic Charter that only one city be designated as host. Just like it was only Vancouver 2010, & not Vancouver/Whistler. Or Sochi 2014, & not Sochi/Krasnaya Polyana. Or PyeongChang 2018, & not PyeongChang/Gangneung.

• Like 2

Well the problem is rather that people critiqize bids even before they seen the plans.

That might be the case with some people, but not everyone. Like Roger87 mentioned, you always get all bent outta shape when others "criticized" the bid of your liking. Not wanting to listen to others concerns over certain plans. Always accusing people of "hating" Sweden & so on when that's not the case. And come to think, that's not much different from the Spainards that were here who would act in very much the same childish way about Madrid 2020. But anyway, I digress now.

• Like 1

That might be the case with some people, but not everyone. Like Roger87 mentioned, you always get all bent outta shape when others "criticized" the bid of your liking. Not wanting to listen to others concerns over certain plans. Always accusing people of "hating" Sweden & so on when that's not the case. And come to think, that's not much different from the Spainards that were here who would act in very much the same childish way about Madrid 2020. But anyway, I digress now.

Exactly my point, Pillar came with the childish card: "Oh, you must hate Sweden" and ths terrible shade even without thinking rationally of this discussion. At least Markus came with rational aguments and facts. It's not a perfect bid, but it seems a lot of better than Pillar was trying to attack.