Stockholm/Are 2022?

That whould be funny :D but your question is irrelevant but for your information it is because Alfred Nobel´s mother came from Norway so that is why they gave one of the awards to a norwegian commitee. If you meant that Norway whould do it better, can you then explain why Obama and the European Union got the prize from Norway.... (I know this is off topic but so was your question)

I was just curious because I watched a TV show which was set at the Nobel banquet in Stockholm. As I said, it was off-topic..so nothing should be inferred insofar as the awarding of the Nobel prizes to the Olympics stakes.

What's extremely interesing here, is that the people that cite a Stockholm/Are bid would be a no-go bcuz the competition would have much better, more compact bids, are the same ones that say a smaller Ostersund bid would be the sole savior of the SOC.

The truth here is, that the Swedes really are finding themselves in quite a bit of a conundrum, since Ostersund would also have to face those same much better, more compact bids from the likes of Munich & Oslo. So how is Ostersund the answer. And just like Stockholm/Are, the only way Ostersund could host a much larger, 21st Century Olympics, is if no one else shows up to the IOC 2022 voting table.

I am not sure that Munich would be that much more compact as Schonau is 149km to the South East, Garmisch is 90km to the South West and Garmsich to Schonau is 197km a triangle in shape

Ostersund is slightly different but would attract votes from those members who like a smaller more traditional bid. Ostersund might also attract the sympathy vote from those who recognise many previous bids and there's always the chance other contenders will suffer from foot in mouth disease. As it is Stockholm-Are has zero chance .... at least Ostersund could be competitive.

• Like 1

I am not sure that Munich would be that much more compact as Schonau is 149km to the South East, Garmisch is 90km to the South West and Garmsich to Schonau is 197km a triangle in shape

Ostersund is slightly different but would attract votes from those members who like a smaller more traditional bid. Ostersund might also attract the sympathy vote from those who recognise many previous bids and there's always the chance other contenders will suffer from foot in mouth disease. As it is Stockholm-Are has zero chance .... at least Ostersund could be competitive.

Munich offers a very comprehensive package with sustainability in a dramatic setting, along with the nostalgia value of being the first city to ever host both Summer & Winter Games. Ostersund would have to justify how they would make use of new venues & infrastructure in a very vast area post Games.

And many are already citing that if Munich were to bid that 2022 is theirs to lose. And I don't think that Ostersund could bank on any sympathy votes, since Munich would also have that aspect on their side, if not moreso, after they got seriously defeated with their sound 2018 bid. The only way I could see Ostersund be competitive is if Munich doesn't bid. And if the Swedish government finally decides to give the financial backing the bid requires. Which ATM, they're not willing to do.

• Like 1

Munich offers a very comprehensive package with sustainability in a dramatic setting, along with the nostalgia value of being the first city to ever host both Summer & Winter Games. Ostersund would have to justify how they would make use of new venues & infrastructure in a very vast area post Games.

And many are already citing that if Munich were to bid that 2022 is theirs to lose. And I don't think that Ostersund could bank on any sympathy votes, since Munich would also have that aspect on their side, if not moreso, after they got seriously defeated with their sound 2018 bid. The only way I could see Ostersund be competitive is if Munich doesn't bid. And if the Swedish government finally decides to give the financial backing the bid requires. Which ATM, they're not willing to do.

Oh I agree

But compared to the total nonsense of including Stockholm which I thought was an April Fools joke when I heard it, at least Ostersund might have an outside chance

Compactness is not the only criteria for choosing a bidder. As long as a bid is compact enough to present an appealing overall package, it's fine. Ostersund can do that and Stockholm can't.

Frankly, I don't think anyone can beat Munich (assuming the Germans don't implode). It's time.

• 2 months later...

I would love to see Winter Olympics in one of the Winter Sports Nations - the only problem is that the required drop for the alpine sports is not close to a larger city.

Sweden and its people are such a great host of mayor events - I think it would have a great chance to win the international competition, if there are competitors with more 'bugs'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spoke too soon.

No decision yet, they will look further at the finances and a decision will be made later this month.

http://www.svd.se/sport/klartecken-att-soka-vinter-os-2022_8570792.svd

In a nutshell the main points:

• they think they can do it without government funding with a budget of 10 billion kronor. They say they only need 2.5 billion more. The budget for the bid process is about 250 million.
  • There needs to be increased capacity of flights between Stockholm and Åre.
  • Only Stockholm has everything in place to be able to host the Olympics.
  • The games will be concentrated entirely in the Stockholm area . Only eight Alpine disciplines including downhill and super-G will be held in Åre; everything else in and around Stockholm. The men's and women's slalom will take place in the Stockholm area, probably in Flottsbro Hill in Huddinge which will be extended to 210 metres.
  • The opening and closing ceremony will take place in Tele2 Arena which is next to Globen.The Olympic flame will be placed on top of Hammarbybacken, a ski hill in Stockholm.

Yes, I don't think the IOC would like that very much, if at all. That's not a very reliable way to get the athletes, media & spectators to their venues. Especially at a Winter Olympics where the good chances of inclement weather could wreak havoc on the airlines & Olympic schedules.

• Like 1

The distance is an issue, no doubt about it. But let's say a Munich bid is turned down by their voters. Compared with Almaty, a games split between Poland and Slovakia, Lviv and going back to Norway, a Stockholm games could look a lot more attractive.

But I agree, if Munich bid this isn't likely to succeed.

Also as for finance, they said they don't need government money. That doesn't mean they won't have the backing, financial and otherwise, of the government.

The distance is an issue, no doubt about it. But let's say a Munich bid is turned down by their voters. Compared with Almaty, a games split between Poland and Slovakia, Lviv and going back to Norway, a Stockholm games could look a lot more attractive.

But I agree, if Munich bid this isn't likely to succeed.

Also as for finance, they said they don't need government money. That doesn't mean they won't have the backing, financial and otherwise, of the government.

Totally agree! It is worth to try and I really hope that the government will be convinced. Beutiful picture btw ;)

• Like 1

If everything else is in check & the only major deficiency with the bid is the distance to Are, but could be limited with the number of venues that would actually be placed there, then it could very well be a contender. Especially with the nostalgia factor that Sweden has never hosted the Winter Olympics & the only Olympics that they ever have hosted was over 100 years ago. It would/could give Munich, & even Oslo, a could run for their money, & it certainly would make a 2022 race very exciting to see all of those three duke it out.

The thing that would still be a concern, is the accommodations & the transportation to get to Are from Stockholm. Even if it's still eight events there, would they still build a satalite village. I'm actually starting to get very intrigued with this & can't wait to see more of their plans.

*It would/could give Oslo, & even Munich, a 'good' run for their money.

• Like 1