Stockholm/Are 2022?

You should visit Stockholm in february before saying we don't have snow. Actually we have snow in MARCH!! Strong hard winters with tempratures down to -10!! In fact in March I was TOTALLY pissed off by the cold winter! Just when we thought the spring would come insted we got more snow. And do you really think Germany and other countries have more snow than Stockhol`m?? I don't think so!

FYI I have been to Stockholm in February ... as well as March, as well as January, as well as November.

Munich also gets huge amounts of snow.

The difference is the outdoor events are held within 100km of Munich, not the ridiculous 600km from Stockholm

still it is just one sport and usually most spectators do not go and watch every single sport during the olympics

** not indoors .... Nordic games had to be moved to OSTERSUND because of a lack of suitable snow in Stockholm

And if you read the Olympic charter, no such massive 600km division is allowed in a bid.

A Stockholm-Are bid will win if the only other bid is from Saudi Arabia.

Surely you don't subscribe to this ridiculous nonsense

Previous Nordic Winter Games had to be moved from Stockholm to Ostersund due to a lack of snow.

Are spectators supposed to get up at 2am to catch the train to Ostersund to see the downhill?

It would be the most anti-spectator games in Olympic history

still it is just one sport and usually most spectators do not go and watch every single sport during the Olympics

or super giant slalom, or giant slalom or slalom

And it makes no sense trying to build the bobsleigh or ski jumping at Stockholm

And why not use the world class biathlon venue at Ostersund, as you have to go to Are via Ostersund

All of a sudden, all the outdoor sports are in Are ..... unless the Swedish government are going to spend all these extra millions for a site in Stockholm

Why not having bobsleigh in Stockholm? And no, everything is not going to be in Are, If the government says no than it is a no for everything and we will not bid, and about the money they have already started to calculate and it wouldn´t cost so much (far from what they invested in Sochi)

And why not use the world class biathlon venue at Ostersund, as you have to go to Are via Ostersund

All of a sudden, all the outdoor sports are in Are ..... unless the Swedish government are going to spend all these extra millions for a site in Stockholm

FYI I have been to Stockholm in February ... as well as March, as well as January, as well as November.

Munich also gets huge amounts of snow.

The difference is the outdoor events are held within 100km of Munich, not the ridiculous 600km from Stockholm

Actually Sweden's winter months are december-february. But often the winter is in half of March too.

Yes and if China get OG with even more bigger ditsnce why not Sweden? It's only some alpine which will be held in Åre. The majority will be held in STHLM.

Loool, if you think so then you haven't read the threads about Östersund/Åre. Most people in here are Sweden's haters and/or are very threatened by a swedish bid.

The thing that is funny about this is that I seriously doubt anyone on the boards ever felt hatred towards Sweden or a Swedish bid. This defensiveness seems to be coming from nowhere.

"...The conditions are, it is today possible, even the mildest winter, arranging all sports in the Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Stockholm. But the alpine speed streams can only Åre cope.
International Olympic Committee now accept such a division, or even to cross the border to another country if necessary to gain access to the mountains.

..."

(google translated so plz excuse the bad translation)

from here;

http://translate.goo...625de64f7f.html

Would Swedish bid be more viable with Gothenburg? I think Gothenburg made a run for the 1984 Winter Olympics.

It whould be 840km to Åre though... and yes we did but that was a crazy idea even for that time, Gothenburg/Falun/Hammarstrand/Are,

Gothenburg-Falun-Hammarstrand-Are= according to Google maps directions 1052 km....

and what about equestrian and sailing then? There many different events of them too. But still China was allowed to host them 2000km and 670km away from Bejing. What's the different to Alpine events being hosted in Åre?

and what about equestrian and sailing then? There many different events of them too. But still China was allowed to host them 2000km and 670km away from Bejing. What's the different to Alpine events being hosted in Åre?

The difference is huge. Equestrian and sailing events comprise a relatively small percentage of the Summer Games. The Alpine events are a major chunk of the Winter Games. The two scenarios are not comparable.

Do you not understand the difference between SUMMER and WINTER??

As you have been told 20 times now there is a difference in the IOC charter itself when it comes to bidding for these games .... how long will it take for you to understand this??

Can you provide one single example when there has been a distance of over 150km between sporting events at a WINTER OLYMPICS?????

"...The conditions are, it is today possible, even the mildest winter, arranging all sports in the Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Stockholm. But the alpine speed streams can only Åre cope.

International Olympic Committee now accept such a division, or even to cross the border to another country if necessary to gain access to the mountains.

..."

(google translated so plz excuse the bad translation)

from here;

http://translate.goo...625de64f7f.html

Not according to the actual document laying out how bids are presented or the actual words from the IOC including Jacques Rogge who is on record as saying the distance between Oslo and Lillehammer is too far

Barcelona to La Molina is 150km

Munich to Garmisch is 100km

Both bids will be accept before the ludicrous 600km between Are and Stockholm. But if the Swedes wish to waste money on a bid doomed to failure, that is the Swedes prerogative.

• Like 1

Do you not understand the difference between SUMMER and WINTER??

As you have been told 20 times now there is a difference in the IOC charter itself when it comes to bidding for these games .... how long will it take for you to understand this??

Can you provide one single example when there has been a distance of over 150km between sporting events at a WINTER OLYMPICS?????

Not according to the actual document laying out how bids are presented or the actual words from the IOC including Jacques Rogge who is on record as saying the distance between Oslo and Lillehammer is too far

Barcelona to La Molina is 150km

Munich to Garmisch is 100km

Both bids will be accept before the ludicrous 600km between Are and Stockholm. But if the Swedes wish to waste money on a bid doomed to failure, that is the Swedes prerogative.

So you mean they are lying? (SOC)

No, I think what gromit is saying is that the SOC is outta its fracking mind.

On another matter, Fabwin, can u tell me why the Nobel Peace prize, the most prestigious of all the Nobel prizes, is awarded in/by Norway but not by the Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences?

I'd love to see Pillan head the Stockholm/Are 2022 bid and argue her case before the IOC!! I betchya it'll be the funniest day in Olympic history!! :lol::lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

No, they have read between the lines and come up with 2+2 = 7

Is Jacques Rogge lying when he says that 240km between venues is impossible for a Winter Olympics bid???

The only way a Stockholm/Are bid will win is if every other major contender drops out like in Euro 2020

and even then UEFA didn't go with the Turkey bid

Sweden can easily host a Winter Olympics based around Ostersund.

• It is a university down so any village could be used by students post games or part turned into affordable housing
  • It has hosted World Championships so will be known to many Winter Sports federations
  • It has a world class ski resort within 100km of Ostersund at Are
  • It already has some facilities in place such as a modern biathlon venue
  • There is a 120m ski jump hill at Solleftea which is 164km from Ostersund which the IOC might stretch to or a 97m hill at Hede which could be upgraded and is within 143km
  • Sweden's only bobsleigh track, the natural run at Hammarstrand is 97km from Ostersund, and could be reopened and upgraded more cheaply than building from scratch
  • We have already seen many bids over temporary 50,000 seat stadiums for the ceremonies. Why couldn't Ostersund, build a stadium like the HypoArena in Klagenfurt which had 32,000 seats for Euro2008 but could have been reduced to 12,000 seats after the games?
  • It has an airport capable of landing larger aircraft
  • London 2012 showed it was possible to build a temporary 12,000 seat arena. Why couldn't Ostersund do the following?:
  1. A 3,000 seat permanent arena (curling) to be used post games by Ostersund Ice Hockey
  2. A 6,000 seat permanent area (Hockey2) to be used post games by Jamtland basket
  3. A 8,000 seat speed skating arena for the national team or converted into community/university use like the Richmond Oval
  4. A 10,000 seat temporary arena (Hockey1) to be relocated post games
  5. A 12,000 seat temporary arena (Hockey2) to be relocated post games

With support from central government, this might be an exceptionally competitive bid, providing the legacy the IOC likes but no white elephants and generating considerable sympathy from IOC members but somehow the SOC think the lunacy of trying to host a games with 4x the distance between venues is more likely to work. It is ridiculous and anti-spectator in its concept

Things change. The Olympics change. If "amaturism" can be abandoned, nothing is sacred.

The WOGs have outgrown their historical home in ski villages. We've grown to accept (embrace even) the new model of holding half the games in a big city, with the other half off in the the mountains an hour or two away. How is it impossible for the games to grow to a point where the city and mountain are four or six hours away.

I don't think it will happen by 2022. And I'm not 100% sure it will ever happen. But if I had to bet, I expect to see it in my lifetime... if for no other reason than to allow cities to host that don't want to build a new sledding track.

Sweden can easily host a Winter Olympics based around Ostersund.

• It is a university down so any village could be used by students post games or part turned into affordable housing
  • It has hosted World Championships so will be known to many Winter Sports federations
  • It has a world class ski resort within 100km of Ostersund at Are
  • It already has some facilities in place such as a modern biathlon venue
  • There is a 120m ski jump hill at Solleftea which is 164km from Ostersund which the IOC might stretch to or a 97m hill at Hede which could be upgraded and is within 143km
  • Sweden's only bobsleigh track, the natural run at Hammarstrand is 97km from Ostersund, and could be reopened and upgraded more cheaply than building from scratch
  • We have already seen many bids over temporary 50,000 seat stadiums for the ceremonies. Why couldn't Ostersund, build a stadium like the HypoArena in Klagenfurt which had 32,000 seats for Euro2008 but could have been reduced to 12,000 seats after the games?
  • It has an airport capable of landing larger aircraft
  • London 2012 showed it was possible to build a temporary 12,000 seat arena. Why couldn't Ostersund do the following?:
  1. A 3,000 seat permanent arena (curling) to be used post games by Ostersund Ice Hockey
  2. A 6,000 seat permanent area (Hockey2) to be used post games by Jamtland basket
  3. A 8,000 seat speed skating arena for the national team or converted into community/university use like the Richmond Oval
  4. A 10,000 seat temporary arena (Hockey1) to be relocated post games
  5. A 12,000 seat temporary arena (Hockey2) to be relocated post games

With support from central government, this might be an exceptionally competitive bid, providing the legacy the IOC likes but no white elephants and generating considerable sympathy from IOC members but somehow the SOC think the lunacy of trying to host a games with 4x the distance between venues is more likely to work. It is ridiculous and anti-spectator in its concept

Yes ... a Freudian slip

Though the Sion 2006 bid had 3 ice hockey venues at Martigny, Sierre and Visp

What's extremely interesing here, is that the people that cite a Stockholm/Are bid would be a no-go bcuz the competition would have much better, more compact bids, are the same ones that say a smaller Ostersund bid would be the sole savior of the SOC.

The truth here is, that the Swedes really are finding themselves in quite a bit of a conundrum, since Ostersund would also have to face those same much better, more compact bids from the likes of Munich & Oslo. So how is Ostersund the answer. And just like Stockholm/Are, the only way Ostersund could host a much larger, 21st Century Olympics, is if no one else shows up to the IOC 2022 voting table.

On another matter, Fabwin, can u tell me why the Nobel Peace prize, the most prestigious of all the Nobel prizes, is awarded in/by Norway but not by the Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences?

I'd love to see Pillan head the Stockholm/Are 2022 bid and argue her case before the IOC!! I betchya it'll be the funniest day in Olympic history!! :lol::lol:

lmfao :lol::P

That whould be funny :D but your question is irrelevant but for your information it is because Alfred Nobel´s mother came from Norway so that is why they gave one of the awards to a norwegian commitee. If you meant that Norway whould do it better, can you then explain why Obama and the European Union got the prize from Norway.... (I know this is off topic but so was your question)