Stockholm/Are 2022?

As for Ostersund, Jamtland has a population of 125,000 people whilst Vasternorrland has a population of 250,000 people

That's still a pretty vast area with such few people to be spread out in. I don't see how that works in Ostersund's favor.

Calm down Pillan ;) but I see you need some support and as a swede from Gothenburg, It would be a dream come true if Stockholm whould get the WOG and for me it was a huge positive surprize when I heard about it so I hope SOC have good reasons for this when they call it a big opportunity. And remember they had the equestrian events 2008 in Hong Kong about 2000 km away..

They have already said that maybe the slalom also whould be hold in Stockholm. It may whould be better to officially call it "Stockholm 2022" instead of "Stockholm/Are 2022" but I wonder if not Salen could be another option but they may not have a Downhill course with olympic standard.

And yes I can see the problems but can you see any chance for a swedish bid?

Pillan. You're not going to win any friends and supporters with all this silly "if you don't like this Stockholm-Are proposal you must be anti-Swedish" attitude.

Honestly, one of my fondest remaining Olympic dreams would be to see Sweden host a Winter Olympics in my lifetime (even more so than the Summer games, but that would be really, really great too).

I don't concede it's impossible or will never happen. Whether the IOC ever does want to try a "small town" games again, or there comes a point where the Swedish government and the NOC have the will and imagination and solution to make it happen, I do think it's possible.

And Stockholm-Are could work if there was no-one biding against it with a more compact bid. But that's too much to hope for.

But as a plan, it just has a huge logistical flaw in the distances. For any Olympics, you'd expect visitors to be able to easily go and see a range of events easily within a reasonable geographic radius. Now, what would it take for visitors staying in Stockholm, to get up to Are to take in some downhill events (which are among the WOGs big glamour events). By bus or train, what, at the best, 6-8 hours? How are they (and the IOC members) going to manage that if, say, they went to the ice dancing finals in Stockholm one night, an next day have to get to Are for an event in the daytime? You can't have people boarding trains or buses in Stockholm at 2-3am to make it in time for an event, then face the same time back if they want to get back to their hotel on Gamla Stan or wherever in the early hours of the next morning. And air travel is no going to be able to viable shift the types of crowds between the two either. It just splits the games as two distinct events and deny's many people the chance to sample a full games experience. You'd have to decide whether you're going to stay in Stockholm for ice events or stay up in Are for the skiing.

It's good to see the Swedish NOC and Government dreaming again. Let's hope they can work through issues to come up with a more viable plan rather than one that won't fly in vote.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Calm down Pillan ;) but I see you need some support and as a swede from Gothenburg, It would be a dream come true if Stockholm whould get the WOG and for me it was a huge positive surprize when I heard about it so I hope SOC have good reasons for this when they call it a big opportunity. And remember they had the equestrian events 2008 in Hong Kong about 2000 km away..

They have already said that maybe the slalom also whould be hold in Stockholm. It may whould be better to officially call it "Stockholm 2022" instead of "Stockholm/Are 2022" but I wonder if not Salen could be another option but they may not have a Downhill course with olympic standard.

And yes I can see the problems but can you see any chance for a swedish bid?

Thanks! Yeah why have equestrian events 2000 miles away if they don't accept events that far away? IOC must know that when they choose China the host for 2008.

But remember China is a such bigger and superior country than the little poor Sweden. Of course they can have events 2000 km away but it's not acceptable for Sweden to have evens 600 km way, right people?

Thanks! Yeah why have equestrian events 2000 miles away if they don't accept events that far away? IOC must know that when they choose China the host for 2008.

But remember China is a such bigger and superior country than the little poor Sweden. Of course they can have events 2000 km away but it's not acceptable for Sweden to have evens 600 km way, right people?

Of course I mean 2000 km away not miles!

The difference being Hong Kong was chosen in 2005 to host the equestrian events, AFTER Beijing had won the rights to host the Olympics.

But still China must have a kind of plan as the won with?? Right?? What was the plan that IOC accepted? Where did China say they would put the equestrian events in their bid? Also how can IOC accept events 2000 km away AFTER the bidding if they are saying they don't accept it? If Sweden can't have events 600km away then how can China have it 2000 away? Something smells very fishy here!

But still China must have a kind of plan as the won with?? Right?? What was the plan that IOC accepted? Where did China say they would put the equestrian events in their bid? Also how can IOC accept events 2000 km away AFTER the bidding if they are saying they don't accept it? If Sweden can't have events 600km away then how can China have it 2000 away? Something smells very fishy here!

No one is saying Sweden can't have events 600km. Sure go right ahead. However if the IOC knows this from the beginning and another bid comes along with a more compact and reasonable plan they will win. Beijing had a temporary stadium in the city proper before changing their plan btw.

No one is saying Sweden can't have events 600km. Sure go right ahead. However if the IOC knows this from the beginning and another bid comes along with a more compact and reasonable plan they will win. Beijing had a temporary stadium in the city proper before changing their plan btw.

Then IOC should have told them that they needed to host the events in that statium in the bid.Still it must been a stadium that IOC accepted. Then how can they change it to another city 2000km if not IOC accept events that far away?? So what Should Sweden do? Say all events will be held in STHLM in the bid and then move some of them to Åre? No it's better to be honest and make a great plan how to do STHLM/Åre to a great Olympics. What you are saying is that China lied to IOC??

Beijing/Hong Kong is a bad example. Equestrian and sailing in the summer games are exceptions to other sports in terms of venue plans. Equestrian because of equine regulations in a country, as we saw in Beijing and Melbourne, and sailing because it requires a large body of water. Alpine skiing is one of the crown jewel events of the WOG. it cannot be held so far away.

• Like 1

Beijing/Hong Kong is a bad example. Equestrian and sailing in the summer games are exceptions to other sports in terms of venue plans. Equestrian because of equine regulations in a country, as we saw in Beijing and Melbourne, and sailing because it requires a large body of water. Alpine skiing is one of the crown jewel events of the WOG. it cannot be held so far away.

You said sailing needs a large body of water. What's different to have high and big mountains? Also no I don't understand the equestrian thing? If the countries don't have laws to host these events why choose them as host at all if it's no acceptable to have events that far away? Then IOC should choose another host. Sorry I don't see the difference between equestrian/sailing and alpine...This is a just an another try to put Sweden down.

• Like 1

So Bejing, China with Equestrian event 2000km away and sailing events 670km away is acceptable but Stockholm, Sweden with Åre 650 km is a bad bid?? Looool, this proof what I mean. The only reason to why Sweden isn't popular in here is that this forum just want the big countries to host and are very threatened by a Sweden bid. Ha ha!

Edited by Pillan

So Bejing, China with Equestrian event 2000km away and sailing events 670km away is acceptable but Stockholm, Sweden with Åre 650 km is a bad bid?? Looool, this proof what I mean. The only reason to why Sweden isn't popular in here is that this forum just want the big countries to host and are very threatened by a Sweden bid. Ha ha!

Which bit DO YOU NOT GET about these being SUMMER OLYMPICS ?????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been made absolutely clear about the IOC conditions for hosting the Winter Olympic games !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You CANNOT have 50% of the sports at a venue 600KM away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You choose one or two sports out of a total of 40 odd events .....

Did they hold the blue ribband most important 100m event 2000kms from the main city??????

No - and the blue ribband event for the Winter Olympics is the Alpine Downhill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://translate.google.se/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sok.se%2Fnyheter%2Fnyheter%2Fnyheter2009%2Fvinterosistockholm.5.5be03ec213ea625de64f7f.html&act=url

alpine skiing is not 50% of olympics...

Which bit DO YOU NOT GET about these being SUMMER OLYMPICS ?????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been made absolutely clear about the IOC conditions for hosting the Winter Olympic games !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You CANNOT have 50% of the sports at a venue 600KM away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You choose one or two sports out of a total of 40 odd events .....

Did they hold the blue ribband most important 100m event 2000kms from the main city??????

No - and the blue ribband event for the Winter Olympics is the Alpine Downhill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

add the Nordic skiing, bobsleigh, ski jumping

Numerous previous Nordic Winter Games had to be moved indoors because of a lack of suitable snow in Stockholm

It is an utter nonsense

They might as well hold the Winter Olympics indoor in Dubai ..........................

Numerous previous Nordic Winter Games had to be moved indoors because of a lack of suitable snow in Stockholm

It is an utter nonsense

They might as well hold the Winter Olympics indoor in Dubai ..........................

Only Alpine skiing downhill and the combined would need to be held at Are. All other mountain events can be held much closer to Stockholm.

It is an utter nonsense

** not indoors .... Nordic games had to be moved to OSTERSUND because of a lack of suitable snow in Stockholm

And if you read the Olympic charter, no such massive 600km division is allowed in a bid.

A Stockholm-Are bid will win if the only other bid is from Saudi Arabia.

Only Alpine skiing downhill and the combined would need to be held at Are. All other mountain events can be held much closer to Stockholm.

Surely you don't subscribe to this ridiculous nonsense

Previous Nordic Winter Games had to be moved from Stockholm to Ostersund due to a lack of snow.

Are spectators supposed to get up at 2am to catch the train to Ostersund to see the downhill?

It would be the most anti-spectator games in Olympic history

** not indoors .... Nordic games had to be moved to OSTERSUND because of a lack of suitable snow in Stockholm

And if you read the Olympic charter, no such massive 600km division is allowed in a bid.

A Stockholm-Are bid will win if the only other bid is from Saudi Arabia.

Surely you don't subscribe to this ridiculous nonsense

Previous Nordic Winter Games had to be moved from Stockholm to Ostersund due to a lack of snow.

Are spectators supposed to get up at 2am to catch the train to Ostersund to see the downhill?

It would be the most anti-spectator games in Olympic history

You should visit Stockholm in february before saying we don't have snow. Actually we have snow in MARCH!! Strong hard winters with tempratures down to -10!! In fact in March I was TOTALLY pissed off by the cold winter! Just when we thought the spring would come insted we got more snow. And do you really think Germany and other countries have more snow than Stockhol`m?? I don't think so!