Stockholm/Are 2022?

Don't worry, I'm done. Probably only a matter of time before this one goes off topic too. It always does

The 2 have nothing to do with each other. What happened in 1956 is in no way precedent for Sweden (or any other nation) to say it's okay for a Winter Olympics to be spread out. Let alone that you're talking about 1 sport out of the 20+ held elsewhere in 1956 as opposed to a Winter Olympics where you're asking for 2 centers of action to be that far apart.

Here's the thing.. is it possible the IOC might be interesting in a Stockholm/Are arrangement? Maybe. But if they have another bid with a city cluster and a mountain cluster that are much closer together, how enticing is Sweden going to be with what they're offering?

But what is saying that is not okay seperate them? And I don't understand what you are talking about? What's different between equstrian to be held far away than alpine be held far way? Remember we are talking about the alpine events only to be held in Åre.

It's not only the location that is interesting. Stockholm as it look right now should be helped by Olympics. We should get new homes that is much needed. Can the other city say that? We have already new arenas to fit olympics. Can the other city say that? We have Scandinavias biggest winter resort in Åre, ect ect. Many countries will probably not have a chance to host WOG if they aren't allowed to seperate the events. Do Norway want to host Olympics every 20 years? We are talking about much money. The question do IOC want to ruin few countries? Oslo want to host 2022. But the norweigan people don't seems to be happy about that. They don't want to pay milliards of money on something that they hosted 1994.

But what is saying that is not okay seperate them? And I don't understand what you are talking about? What's different between equstrian to be held far away than alpine be held far way? Remember we are talking about the alpine events only to be held in Åre.

It's not only the location that is interesting. Stockholm as it look right now should be helped by Olympics. We should get new homes that is much needed. Can the other city say that? We have already new arenas to fit olympics. Can the other city say that? We have Scandinavias biggest winter resort in Åre, ect ect. Many countries will probably not have a chance to host WOG if they aren't allowed to seperate the events. Do Norway want to host Olympics every 20 years? We are talking about much money. The question do IOC want to ruin few countries? Oslo want to host 2022. But the norweigan people don't seems to be happy about that. They don't want to pay milliards of money on something that they hosted 1994.

Because you can't compare the Summer games with the Winter games ... where geography can sometimes mean one event out of 28 is held outside of the areas ... compared to holding all the outdoor events (50%) hundreds of miles away. And 1956 was unique because of the laws of Australia at that time. The world has moved on.

This has never happened before and where there are likely to be major cities including Barcelona, Oslo, Munich much closer to the mountains, why would the IOC make such a decision.

Finland can never hold the event because they don't have a big enough mountain. The general response is too bad but that's tough.

And Sweden could make a bid based on Ostersund/Are, but the Swedish government refuses to provide the financial guarantees the IOC want

• Like 1

Because you can't compare the Summer games with the Winter games ... where geography can sometimes mean one event out of 28 is held outside of the areas ... compared to holding all the outdoor events (50%) hundreds of miles away. And 1956 was unique because of the laws of Australia at that time. The world has moved on.

This has never happened before and where there are likely to be major cities including Barcelona, Oslo, Munich much closer to the mountains, why would the IOC make such a decision.

Finland can never hold the event because they don't have a big enough mountain. The general response is too bad but that's tough.

And Sweden could make a bid based on Ostersund/Are, but the Swedish government refuses to provide the financial guarantees the IOC want

They should make the decision because the reasons in my previous post. Is Munich, Barcelona ect closer to the mountains? Maybe but are their bids better than the swedish one except that? All outdoors? What about cross-country skiing as example?? You can think this instead: the people who choose Åre will have much to do in Åre. What about to travel far away to see a single event? Do people really want that? Who want to go to Åre to only see ski jumping? Or do they choose to stay in Stockholm only?

The problem in this forum is that people makes excuses to put down Sweden's bids. Åre/Östersund isn't a very popular opinion either. Östersund too small! It's far away each other! Östersund is too far away from Stockholm (infrastructur), Östersund will get many arenas , hotels ect that they can't use then BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA! These are only some of the comments that people often bring up about Åre/Östersund. Now when Stockholm is in focus then people bring up Östersund. LOL! That msay it people: you are thtreatened by Sweden's bids and you just don't want us to host WOG.

The problem in this forum is that people makes excuses to put down Sweden's bids. Åre/Östersund isn't a very popular opinion either. Östersund too small! It's far away each other! Östersund is too far away from Stockholm (infrastructur), Östersund will get many arenas , hotels ect that they can't use then BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA! These are only some of the comments that people often bring up about Åre/Östersund. Now when Stockholm is in focus then people bring up Östersund. LOL! That msay it people: you are thtreatened by Sweden's bids and you just don't want us to host WOG.

Thus is not true. Most people here would love to see a Swedish bid

But it can only happen if based in Ostersund.

The idea of Stockholm is total madness. The IOC have said the events should not be more than ideally 150kms apart. Stockholm is over 600km from Are.

The IOC will not change the rules simply because its nice for Sweden to host especially as the government have refused to financially support a bid.

The IOC is saying it's not okay. They are saying it is their preference to not separate the mountain and city venues by too great of a distance. Again I have to bring this up.. the IOC decides on the host of an Olympics by a popular vote. If they're presented with Stockholm/Are and then other options where there is less distance between the mountain and city venues, they're more likely going to choose the closer distance. Now, is it possible that the Swedish Olympic Committee and the folks in Stockholm can offer a bid that is so appealing that the IOC will accept it in spite of the distance? Sure it is. I can't speak to the willingness of Sweden to want to host an Olympics versus Norway or spend the necessary, but the IOC can choose to award the Olympics to as many or to as few countries as they want to. It's about the whole package that is being offered, but how far spread out the Olympic venues are (remember 1992 when the Games were spread all over the Savoie region of France?) is going to be a big factor.

Thus is not true. Most people here would love to see a Swedish bid

But it can only happen if based in Ostersund.

The idea of Stockholm is total madness. The IOC have said the events should not be more than ideally 150kms apart. Stockholm is over 600km from Are.

The IOC will not change the rules simply because its nice for Sweden to host especially as the government have refused to financially support a bid.

Sorry, but just go to the old Östersund threads and you will se the negativity against it. To these people even Åre and Östersund is too far away each other. Öster would get hotels, arenas ect that they can't use then. Östersund is too small, it's to far frpm Stockholm ect. These are some comments about Östersund. So no it seems that most people would hate a Swedish bid. Östersund don't seems to better in most people eyes. People seems to be threatened by Sweden.

The IOC is saying it's not okay. They are saying it is their preference to not separate the mountain and city venues by too great of a distance. Again I have to bring this up.. the IOC decides on the host of an Olympics by a popular vote. If they're presented with Stockholm/Are and then other options where there is less distance between the mountain and city venues, they're more likely going to choose the closer distance. Now, is it possible that the Swedish Olympic Committee and the folks in Stockholm can offer a bid that is so appealing that the IOC will accept it in spite of the distance? Sure it is. I can't speak to the willingness of Sweden to want to host an Olympics versus Norway or spend the necessary, but the IOC can choose to award the Olympics to as many or to as few countries as they want to. It's about the whole package that is being offered, but how far spread out the Olympic venues are (remember 1992 when the Games were spread all over the Savoie region of France?) is going to be a big factor.

But is it a rule or a preference? Can IOC really give the OG to as many or few countries as they want? The fiancial part is important. Already now aren't the Norweigan people happy because the think it's too expensive. What about the other few countries with mountains close cities think the same? Then they will have problem. Do IOC want to ruin a country because the Swedish bid is to far away each other?

But is it a rule or a preference? Can IOC really give the OG to as many or few countries as they want? The fiancial part is important. Already now aren't the Norweigan people happy because the think it's too expensive. What about the other few countries with mountains close cities think the same? Then they will have problem. Do IOC want to ruin a country because the Swedish bid is to far away each other?

Its basically a massive preference.

For the 2010 WYOG Harbin was rejected on the point that the Yabuli alpine events were to be held over 150km from the main centre

When Oslo as part of a potential Norwegian bid in 2018 (eventually they chose Tromso) suggested using some of the Lillehammer facilities IOC President Jacques Rogge later stated that with the distance of 240 kilometers (150 mi) between Oslo and the Alpine venues would make it impossible to be selected.

and this was despite the planning of a high speed rail link .....

If 240km is too far, then 600km most definitely is

Its basically a massive preference.

For the 2010 WYOG Harbin was rejected on the point that the Yabuli alpine events were to be held over 150km from the main centre

When Oslo as part of a potential Norwegian bid in 2018 (eventually they chose Tromso) suggested using some of the Lillehammer facilities IOC President Jacques Rogge later stated that with the distance of 240 kilometers (150 mi) between Oslo and the Alpine venues would make it impossible to be selected.

and this was despite the planning of a high speed rail link .....

If 240km is too far, then 600km most definitely is

Still shouldn't SOC know this? They have probably more clue about IOC's thinking than what we have? If Rogge really said that then why do SOC think this bid have a chance? As another person pointed out, SOC wasn't born yesterday.hey shouldn't give our gouverment a plan if they don't think it could be successful. Remember Sweden's gouverment is very negative against Olympic bids right now. It must be a very very good idea to get their support.

Still shouldn't SOC know this? They have probably more clue about IOC's thinking than what we have? If Rogge really said that then why do SOC think this bid have a chance? As another person pointed out, SOC wasn't born yesterday.hey shouldn't give our gouverment a plan if they don't think it could be successful. Remember Sweden's gouverment is very negative against Olympic bids right now. It must be a very very good idea to get their support.

Its not a formal bid and like with some previous bids from other countries, there is always the hope the IOC will overlook these questions. The point is, if there is a single bid which doesn't have these issues they are likely to go with that.

When Sion, Switzerland 2006, they proposed using the bobsleigh run at St Moritz with competitors flying there.

However because they realised this could raise a major objection, they also proposed a separate bob run just south of Sion.

There is no way Stockholm can have a Plan B like this .... the SOC will likely indicate a possible interest to bid to the IOC who will turn round and say No. They don't want to discourage Sweden from maybe trying again with Ostersund though.

Its not a formal bid and like with some previous bids from other countries, there is always the hope the IOC will overlook these questions. The point is, if there is a single bid which doesn't have these issues they are likely to go with that.

When Sion, Switzerland 2006, they proposed using the bobsleigh run at St Moritz with competitors flying there.

However because they realised this could raise a major objection, they also proposed a separate bob run just south of Sion.

There is no way Stockholm can have a Plan B like this .... the SOC will likely indicate a possible interest to bid to the IOC who will turn round and say No. They don't want to discourage Sweden from maybe trying again with Ostersund though.

And if Sweden's bid d better than all other parts? Will they still choose the other bid because it's closer? Ridiculous!! The fiancial issue must be more important.

My point is that if they will get the gouverment's support in this bid and then fail big time then it probably won't be a Östersund bid in the future either. Östersund have failed so many times the gouverment don't support it. This bid much be really good if they want the gouverment to accept it. SOC also can't fail big time because then the support is gone.

And if Sweden's bid d better than all other parts? Will they still choose the other bid because it's closer? Ridiculous!! The fiancial issue must be more important.

My point is that if they will get the gouverment's support in this bid and then fail big time then it probably won't be a Östersund bid in the future either. Östersund have failed so many times the gouverment don't support it. This bid much be really good if they want the gouverment to accept it. SOC also can't fail big time because then the support is gone.

Yes because a crucial part of the Olympics is the spectators and the ridiculous cost of having to travel 600km between events. That is what is ridiculous. Why not just hold the skiing events in Germany then?

Yes because a crucial part of the Olympics is the spectators and the ridiculous cost of having to travel 600km between events. That is what is ridiculous. Why not just hold the skiing events in Germany then?

Because then it's two gouverments who needs agrre with each other. Also Sweden want Scandinavia's biggest winter resort to host it. How could this happen if Germany host the alpine events. BTW, the cross-country and biathlon can be held in Stockholm. And what's more ridicolous cost to travel far away for ONE event or mutiple events?

I'd go for a joint Are-Bozeman bid. Wait...what about Annecy?? Oh dear.

And here we have one of the Sweden haters. Bashing Sweden, no matter if we talking about Åre/Östersund or Åre/Stockholm.

And here we have one of the Sweden haters. Bashing Sweden, no matter if we talking about Åre/Östersund or Åre/Stockholm.

When did I ever bash Sweden? Sweden has done nothing bad towards me; why should I hate her? I am ridiculing the 'Anchorage / Bozeman' dreams of others here who state that a 10-hour flight to Anchorage is just the blink of an eye.

• Like 1

When did I ever bash Sweden? Sweden has done nothing bad towards me; why should I hate her? I am ridiculing the 'Anchorage / Bozeman' dreams of others here who state that a 10-hour flight to Anchorage is just the blink of an eye.

You always argue against Östersund too. What else to believe?

It isn't a 10 hours flight to to Åre...

It take 8,5 hours from Stockholm to Åre with... CAR!!!

Two hours with plane and then car or bus!

Bad comparision with other words!

Pillan, you know I'm probably one of the most sympathetic here to a Swedish winter bid. I wouldn't rule out an Ostersund-Are bid, though I acknowledge there's big challenges with even that plan. I have to agree with the others, though, that I doubt Stockholm-Are would be acceptable to the IOC. Chill out a bit, I just don't think this is a proposal that will fly.

Edited by Sir Rols

Pillan, we are not threatened by a Sweden bid. Why would be threatened by it. It's not as though posters here are big supporters of cities for 2022 and don't want Sweden to compete in fear that they will be a stronger and more compelling choice for the IOC. In fact, I would support a bid from Sweden. But the notion that any of us are threatened by a Swedish bid is ridiculous. We are simply putting down an unrealistic bid from Stockholm/Are. Something like Ostersund would be welcomed by me and other posters I'm sure, however.

Also remember Stockholm hosted the equestrian events 1956 when Melbourne, Australia hosted the rest of the Olympics. That's far away that you can think about. If that was okay why not Åre/Stockholm then?

Like many people pointed. This event was unique by olympic standards. You can't compare a situation that happened in 1956 with old Australian rules with the possibility of a WOG. Also, it was a different time where the technology and customs laws weren't too advanced. Not comparable with this WOG.

I visited Sweden and I really love the country. But I travel from Stockholm to Örestund and grommit and other have right. It would be a no go for a Swedish bid. The distance is relevant for the event and unfortunally is not factible even for competition. Also, I have doubts for the financial aspect of the bid.

I'm afraid to say that, but if Sweden will release this plan, the possibilities for winning are close to zero. Especially if biggest contenders like Munich, Oslo and Barcelona will compete.

Pillan, we are not threatened by a Sweden bid. Why would be threatened by it. It's not as though posters here are big supporters of cities for 2022 and don't want Sweden to compete in fear that they will be a stronger and more compelling choice for the IOC. In fact, I would support a bid from Sweden. But the notion that any of us are threatened by a Swedish bid is ridiculous. We are simply putting down an unrealistic bid from Stockholm/Are. Something like Ostersund would be welcomed by me and other posters I'm sure, however.

Sorry but once again:people are putting down Åre/Stockholm in same way as the they are putting down Åre/Östersund.

About Åre/Östersund: too small, to far away from Stockholm, Östersund will get Arenas, hotels ect that they can't use after the WOG ect these are some of the reason sthat people use against a Åre/Östersund bid. Don't dare bring up Östersund because this forum bash this bid too. People in here are against Sweden's bids!!

Like many people pointed. This event was unique by olympic standards. You can't compare a situation that happened in 1956 with old Australian rules with the possibility of a WOG. Also, it was a different time where the technology and customs laws weren't too advanced. Not comparable with this WOG.

I visited Sweden and I really love the country. But I travel from Stockholm to Örestund and grommit and other have right. It would be a no go for a Swedish bid. The distance is relevant for the event and unfortunally is not factible even for competition. Also, I have doubts for the financial aspect of the bid.

I'm afraid to say that, but if Sweden will release this plan, the possibilities for winning are close to zero. Especially if biggest contenders like Munich, Oslo and Barcelona will compete.

The fiancial aspect will be much better than example for Sochi 2014. Sweden already now have said that a Olympic town will be more than welcome. These will be new homes which Stockholm needs.

Also if big cities as Munich, Oslo and Barcelona will contend then why should they pick the much smaller Östersund to host WOG 2022? At least this is the reason you use against Östersund. "It's too small, what will they do with the hotels, arenas ect after the olympics".