Is Durban too Ugly to be the 2024 host?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course they are eyeing a bid (hell, Tusla is "eyeing" a bid). And their Olympic committe always wants to bid.

It's the goverment who put the breaks on a 2020 bid... something about not wanting to pay for the games when there are so many bigger priorities.

An announcment from Olympic committee members that they want to bid doesn't tell us much. When government officials start talking, that's when it gets interesting.

Political figures have been talking, but with national elections in April they don't want it to be a loud discussion yet. If you look into the investment announcements about a sports development centre about to start construction, the massive roll out of Olympic pools in the city, the new bmx centre, new mtb trails, two new indoor venues committed to be built in the city, a new watersports centre on the beach, the hosting of the fivb volleyball event in December... I could go on. Things are coming together and none of this would be happening without the government incentives and support programs.

• 3 weeks later...

Multiple news outlets reporting that Nelson Mandela has passed away. Not that that news necessarily means anything towards South Africa's Olympic aspirations, unless someone wants to argue otherwise?

Well, too soon or not, obviously if South Africa makes a bid on 2024, the emotional sentiment of his passing will be fresh, and could underline the narrative of a bid. I don't expect obvious and direct references to it, but it will certainly be lingering and omnipresent.

That would be in bad taste. Using someone's death to gain the Olympics? That just sounds wrong.

To rings' point.. a South African Olympics has Mandela's imprint on it simply because of what he's done for the country. That he has passed on probably means little towards the country's Olympic hosting aspirations. It's his legacy to the country that will be felt in the bid. And yes, I could see (granted, we're 4 years away from the vote) where his recent passing could give them an emoitional push.

For all u know, it might've been among Mandela's dying wishes. His family may even bless the idea...

We don't know anything about Mandela's wishes or his family's wishes or if those in charge of South Africa or SASCOC even care what he thinks. All we know is that what South Africa is now and what they aspire to be can be largely attributed to Mandela's influence. And we'll always have that enduring image of Mandela at the 1995 Rugby World Cup.

That would be in bad taste. Using someone's death to gain the Olympics? That just sounds wrong.

That is not what I was suggesting. It is not using his 'death' to gain - he was a frail 95 year old man, so his death is hardly tragic or unexpected, but rather using his LEGACY and everything he stood for - the Rainbow Nation - which would undoubtedly be part of the narrative of a South African Olympics. It is part of an entire nation's identity, how is that wrong.

?

That is not what I was suggesting. It is not using his 'death' to gain - he was a frail 95 year old man, so his death is hardly tragic or unexpected, but rather using his LEGACY and everything he stood for - the Rainbow Nation - which would undoubtedly be part of the narrative of a South African Olympics. It is part of an entire nation's identity, how is that wrong.

?

Then sorry; I don't really understand what you are condemning or judging???

?

Completely agreed. By using his legacy as a narrative describing how he changed a country from one that beats its own citizens to one that hosts the olympic games would be a great idea. I'm sure Mandela would have loved to see a games in South Africa because after all, he was the one who made them possible. By no means am I suggesting they overdo the emotional piece, but by adding it in I certainly think it would help the bid in a very positive way.

Then sorry; I don't really understand what you are condemning or judging???

Aside from not understanding what it is you are referring to (??), my comment was directed at intoronto.

Completely agreed. By using his legacy as a narrative describing how he changed a country from one that beats its own citizens to one that hosts the olympic games would be a great idea. I'm sure Mandela would have loved to see a games in South Africa because after all, he was the one who made them possible. By no means am I suggesting they overdo the emotional piece, but by adding it in I certainly think it would help the bid in a very positive way.

Yep. I dare say its presence (even if not explicitly mentioned) will have an impact - particularly for 2024. Much of the news surrounding Mandela's death here in Australia is mostly focused on the new South Africa. There really is momentum and a story. I wouldn't look bad upon an South African Olympic bid for noting this either, as long as it is done with tact. If anyone wants to criticise a perhaps garish use of tragedy to garner sympathy then look no further than the Tokyo 2020 crew. But then, they did win.

?

That isn't wrong. I took it as "Mandela died now we can use this to our advantage"

Mandela's death signals a changing of seasons. That's all. Time has passed. It's a new era.

At some point that era will include the first African Olympics. I don't think Mandela's passing makes it either more or less likely that those first African Games will take place in 2024.

I don't think there's any doubt a South African bid would invoke the legacy of Mandela. I don't think it would be used as underlying platform though to win a bid. What I could see happening is during the final presentations, the bid committee brings out a member of Mandela's family to address the IOC. The sentiment would be powerful. Would that be enough for a winning bid? Probably not, but it would go a long way.

Did Mandela address the IOC during the final presentations for Cape Town's 2004 bid?

I don't think there's any doubt a South African bid would invoke the legacy of Mandela. I don't think it would be used as underlying platform though to win a bid. What I could see happening is during the final presentations, the bid committee brings out a member of Mandela's family to address the IOC. The sentiment would be powerful. Would that be enough for a winning bid? Probably not, but it would go a long way.

Did Mandela address the IOC during the final presentations for Cape Town's 2004 bid?

And more important, the IOC got to meet RSA's other power brokers face-to-face and in the flesh, and actually see Durban from ground level, at the 2011 IOC Session. I hope the RSA does not let that opportunity sour and spoil for too long.

I think this "Madiba" legacy would be expected by the IOC voters. But what could be more powerful to the "1st African Olympics" message is that other men like him, let's say Thomas Sankara, Patrice Lumumba and even Gandhi (who lived and embarked to a crusade injustice in Durban) contributed to inspire millions of Africans. And if they include athletes like Abebe Bikila or Roger Milla, I think that could easily make to bring the Games to the "Black Continent".

I think the RSA just has to time it perfectly so that it is a socially responsible venture and NOT just a superficial, vanity production for RSA's glory. The RSA has to be able to say when they give the go...that say, the $3 billion or so that they will be spending is not food or potable drinking water taken away from the table or for medicines and shelter for those who are still in need. And they have to push it (not too strongly) that these would be Africa's Games, not just South Africa's.

So what is RSA's balance of payments??

• 2 weeks later...

Archived