Is Durban too Ugly to be the 2024 host?

I think it is very fair to say that Rio would not have won 2016 if they hadn't hosted the Pan Am Games.

...or maybe they'd be building a proper athletics stadium capable of hosting ceremonies instead of RE-building a poorly made pan am venue. With their oil money and map they'd still be hosting i think.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...or maybe they'd be building a proper athletics stadium capable of hosting ceremonies instead of RE-building a poorly made pan am venue. With their oil money and map they'd still be hosting i think.

Guess we'll never know.

I do think the Pan Ams gave them a lot of stuff to show the Evaluation Commision.

Rios Pan Ams also brought out a lot of bad stuff like Brazil's propensity to booing competitors, which we call poor sportsmanship but now know to be just a cultural style. :blink: Their Pan Ams also were known for the lack of follow through on some transportation promises, so really without 2007 there may have been less criticism on some issues, but yeah they had a lot of "stuff" they could show so that was probably good, except how ugly it all was, that athletics stadium could have been in Monrovia.

Rios Pan Ams also brought out a lot of bad stuff like Brazil's propensity to booing competitors, which we call poor sportsmanship but now know to be just a cultural style. :blink: Their Pan Ams also were known for the lack of follow through on some transportation promises, so really without 2007 there may have been less criticism on some issues, but yeah they had a lot of "stuff" they could show so that was probably good, except how ugly it all was, that athletics stadium could have been in Monrovia.

Yes, but they were also able to claim "Look, we had this trial run. We've learned a lot and we know exactly what needs to happen."

For whatever it's worth, if Rio hasn't hosted the PanAms, I would not have given them the Olympics. The fate of their previous bids seems to suggest the IOC may have felt similarly. Yes, the economy improved, but that's not all that is needed -- as we just saw with Istanbul, a city that lacks major multi-sport organizational experience.

Does that mean that Izmir, having hosted the Universiade, actually has a better shot at landing the Olympics for Turkey?

Of course not. You can't pull out one variable and only look at that one thing. Does prior multi-sport experience help? Of course it does. Is it the only criteria? Of course not.

It's a both/and situation. You have to be an attractive international destination with wonderful atmosphere AND you have to prove you have the organizational experience and know-how to stage great Games.

I'm sorry to point it in a thread in which this isn't the main subject but your lacking assessments on Rio 2007 games barely make sense and I assume it's because those games were not broadcasted in your country. 2007 PanAms weren't flawless but they received rave reviews from PASO, left a strong impression on following candidate and host cities of the Pan American Games and arguably were the main reason Rio de Janeiro was awarded the Olympic Games in 2009.

South Africa also faced their issues in 2010 but the WC was a resounding success for that country and speaking about sound, I regret to inform you people that booing will most certainly be there in 2016, as vuvuzelas did in South Africa, but it's just noise and people mean no harm. Deal with it. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

@Dysan1, 2 questions please:

1. Where do the major political parties in RSA stand on the issue of hosting an Olympics sooner rather than later?

2. Are the upcoming elections in April - July 2014, affecting the delay of a decision for RSA to go ahead with a bid for 2024 or not?

1) None of openly spoken on the matter currently, they are focusing on the grass roots issues. However, from comments made, the ANC are in support, especially for a Durban candicacy.

2) Not really, however it would not be the focus as it is not one of the issues that are on the minds of the people at large at the moment. There are more intrinsic issues to resolve that they are going on about on the campaign trail.

That is not to say that nothing is happening. Just last week it was announced at the Soccerex event in Durban that a new international sports development centre that focuses on youth development and would be built within the cities sports precinct (and right next to a a number of large key hotels).

To be known as the Hoy Park Sports Development Centre it will primarily focus on football (with 4 full sized fields for this purpose with the main field incorporating a 5000 seater main stand), but it will also have an indoor athletics facility and boxing academy. The academy with be headed by former Sporting Lisbon scout Paulo Cardoso.

As mentioned this falls within the cities Kings Park sporting precinct and will be built on land that is currently under utilised with some empty ground, parking lots and the current home of provincial Baseball. The baseball will be relocated to a new facility in the northern suburbs and is one they are happy with as it will mean brand new top quality facilities for the sport.

Work is set to commence in 2014 with a 2015 opening. Yet further proof that the city is focused on building further on its sporting credentials and incrementally putting the possible future Olympic precinct on track.

This news follows hot on the heels of a recent city council announcement that they will invest in more than 15 new Olympic sized pools across the city to boost this sport and encourage the uptake of swimming.

This will work in conjunction with Princess Charlene of Monaco's commitment to the growth of swimming in Durban. Her former training base of Lahee Park in the suburb of Pinetown will be the recipient of a large chunk of funding from her to upgrade it to a topclass swimming training hub with an additional pool, new academy buildings and a gym.

All in all, the big sport focus across the city continues.

I think this thread needs a name change or we need a Durban 2024 thread.

On the placing on a map, agree, but that said most Americans cannot place America on a map either

/\/\ So. Africa should build a strong Synchro Swim team!!

I really should visit these boards more often

I started the thread out as a sarcastic one to satirize a certain, fallacious position that a winter candidate city of mine was supposedly too "ugly" to even be in the running -- a purely, superficial view. So that is why the thread is titled as such -- to spoof a city that is all but a future Olympic host when it decides to throw the hat in.

BTW, dysan1, if you get the chance, can you take and post some photos of your city from the Roma revolving restaurant? You are aware of the BRROBI --Baron's Revolving Restaurant-Olympic-Bidding Index?

it's not ugly. it's just too obsuce, the common people can't plac

e johanneburg of a map let alone durban.

Perhaps. But most 'common people' would still be able to place Africa on a map. And that's what it would really be about anyway. It's much more about Africa than it is about Durban.

I started the thread out as a sarcastic one to satirize a certain, fallacious position that a winter candidate city of mine was supposedly too "ugly" to even be in the running -- a purely, superficial view. So that is why the thread is titled as such -- to spoof a city that is all but a future Olympic host when it decides to throw the hat in.

BTW, dysan1, if you get the chance, can you take and post some photos of your city from the Roma revolving restaurant? You are aware of the BRROBI --Baron's Revolving Restaurant-Olympic-Bidding Index?

I currently live in Singapore, but will try when home over the holidays.

and i think that's a problem, durban should represent and country not a continent.

Right. You mean like it was a "problem" for Rio 2016 when they were carrying that map wherever they went on the campaign trail, that "represented" all of the continents that have hosted the Olympic Games, but the "continent" of South America was blank. All of that must've been an illusion then.

Some of you people forget that afterall it's just politiks. Based on this alone hosting not-that-much-desired events will grant respect from IOC executives and therefore some votes.

SA should go after the commonwealth games, some not-so-popular sportive World Championships, etc. It all helps and also, if you do correctly, you'll have something to show to the executives during the bidding period.

For some time rio wanted the Olympics but would bid for the fucking PanAms. What should American IOC members think? It's disrespectful.

That's why I also think USOC should present a city to host the PanAm games just to help the event grow and get more sympathy from IOC members that was lost in the past decade. Then, go for the Olympics, even if its a different city.

Now if you people still want to believe in technical reports, then...

Some of you people forget that afterall it's just politiks. Based on this alone hosting not-that-much-desired events will grant respect from IOC executives and therefore some votes.

SA should go after the commonwealth games, some not-so-popular sportive World Championships, etc. It all helps and also, if you do correctly, you'll have something to show to the executives during the bidding period.

For some time rio wanted the Olympics but would bid for the fucking PanAms. What should American IOC members think? It's disrespectful.

That's why I also think USOC should present a city to host the PanAm games just to help the event grow and get more sympathy from IOC members that was lost in the past decade. Then, go for the Olympics, even if its a different city.

Now if you people still want to believe in technical reports, then...

Rio needed to prove it was capable of staging a large multisport event. That's why the Pan Ams were essential. Without 2007, Rio probably wouldn't have been viable for 2016.

As Baron said, Commonwealth Games preceding an Olympic bid would strengthen Durban's hand because the city really is untested. However, the IOC's desire to go to Africa seems so strong (even stronger than their desire to go to South America) that Durban can probably still win without CGs.

Everyone knows the US can stage the Olympic Games. There's nothing to prove and no reason why Pan Am Games would have any influence whatsoever on the success of an American bid.

This is a case of apples and oranges. Brazil, South Africa and the US are not on the same footing. Not even close. There isn't one formula that can be applied to all of them.

Rio needed to prove it was capable of staging a large multisport event. That's why the Pan Ams were essential. Without 2007, Rio probably wouldn't have been viable for 2016.

As Baron said, Commonwealth Games preceding an Olympic bid would strengthen Durban's hand because the city really is untested. However, the IOC's desire to go to Africa seems so strong (even stronger than their desire to go to South America) that Durban can probably still win without CGs.

Everyone knows the US can stage the Olympic Games. There's nothing to prove and no reason why Pan Am Games would have any influence whatsoever on the success of an American bid.

This is a case of apples and oranges. Brazil, South Africa and the US are not on the same footing. Not even close. There isn't one formula that can be applied to all of them.

To some extent I agree. Durban is Africa's leading sport and event city,that is not in question. But yes it does need to host more multisport events and world championships. The recently hosted world transplant games with 6000 athletes builds on the hosting a few years back of major paraolympic swimming champs. But what the city really needs to go for in its build up is a Fina World Champs or IAAF word champs.

However, I think that is in the plan. That city is currently well advanced in drawing up it's 15 year event bidding plan. These events serve to boost the cities images as a sports and events hub, but also to help get the Olympics which is the grand goal.

If one city in Africa is going to host the Olympics, it will be Durban. When though is up for discussion.

Archived