Is Durban too Ugly to be the 2024 host?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll agree with our 'Olympic beauty experts and cosmetologists' Athensfan, Gromit and Lord David on that!!

Denver_Colorado_1898.jpg

Ugly Denver...errr, Durban! Way too ugly to be an Olympic host!!

Discuss!!

Only if you use photos which are 115years old to provide evidence

Touche!! DId u know that Durban and Reno are sister-cities? Yup, they will go down in history as the Ugly Sisters of Olympic oblivion!!

not according to their own website

http://www.durban.gov.za/City_Services/Governance/International_Governance_Relations/International_Donor_Relations/Sister_Cities/Pages/default.aspx

Why is there so much buzz on a Durban bid? When Cape Town is more known and beautiful !? + Green point majestic stadium

because the Green Point cannot be adapted to hold athletics and is already a bit of a White Elephant

The Moses Mabhida in Durban was designed to have an athletics track and be expanded to 85,000 seats

Why is there so much buzz on a Durban bid? When Cape Town is more known and beautiful !? + Green point majestic stadium

Mostly the climate.. Durban offers better weather in July and August when the Olympics ideally would be held than Cape Town. Warmer temperatures and less rain.

Ugly is the 'new' criterion for winning the Olympics...Beijing, London, Sochi, PyeongChang...

Just kidding. Because as Quaker pointed out, the weather...it provides the proper 'summery' climate for a Summer Games...not the wintry weather that pervaded the World Cup. Plus, Durban already has the Olympic Stadium (vs. the heavily underused Greenpoint Stadium of CT.) I don't think the present RSA gov't would survive if they saved $50 million by supposedly NOT entering the 2020 contest but will spend ANOTHER $600 million for a second behemoth stadium in Capetown if Miss Capetown becomes the city of choice of the beauticians, cosmetologists and beauty experts team here on GB. ;)

It amazes me when some of the supposed regulars here have to ask "why is there so much buzz on a Durban bid" over Cape Town, when the reasons have been expressed ad nauseum all over these forums.

The first Olympics in Africa is gonna be about finally making it to the final-frontier, rather than being about some beauty pagent. So the brains over the beauty is going to be looked at first when it comes to Africa. How "pretty & picturesque" was cesspool Beijing when they were awarded the Games. In fact, it was suggested before the Chinese bid again that they should go with more cosmopolitan Shanghai instead. But obviously that suggestion was ignored.

It amazes me when some of the supposed regulars here have to ask "why is there so much buzz on a Durban bid" over Cape Town, when the reasons have been expressed ad nauseum all over these forums.

The first Olympics in Africa is gonna be about finally making it to the final-frontier, rather than being about some beauty pagent. So the brains over the beauty is going to be looked at first when it comes to Africa. How "pretty & picturesque" was cesspool Beijing when they were awarded the Games. In fact, it was suggested before the Chinese bid again that they should go with more cosmopolitan Shanghai instead. But obviously that suggestion was ignored.

Exactly. This is about the country moreso than the city. Durban offers more of what the IOC is looking for than Cape Town. That's why they're the logical choice for South Africa.

Maybe I'm in the minority, and I've said this before, but I'd actually prefer Durban to host than Cape Town. I just think it has more of an "African" and "Rainbow Nation" feel, compared to Cape Town, which may be the South African postcard city, but still to me seems like a white European city.

And that's before we get into the issue of Durban being better prepard facility-wise, and having a better climate in the games schedule window.

I'll agree with our 'Olympic beauty experts and cosmetologists' Athensfan, Gromit and Lord David on that!!

Denver_Colorado_1898.jpg

Ugly Denver...errr, Durban! Way too ugly to be an Olympic host!!

Discuss!!

I never said Durban was ugly. I just said that they wouldn't win on their first try no matter how compelling they were. Even if they had experience of an IOC Session, World Cup and other sporting events.

Reno, now there's ugly!

I never said Durban was ugly. I just said that they wouldn't win on their first try no matter how compelling they were. Even if they had experience of an IOC Session, World Cup and other sporting events.

Reno, now there's ugly!

And again, you know this how?! Is your 'Olympic crystal ball' working overtime again. It's seriously quite naive to state such a definitive statement when we don't even know yet what the competition will be &/or what they'd be proposing against South Africa if/when they enter the fray. Their biggest obstacle is getting on the short-list, & once they'd be able to accomplish that, all bets would be off then & they'd be the emotive favorite (just like Beijing was. Just like Rio was. Just like PyeongChang was. And just like Istanbul is now). And no amount of chanting that "they 'can't win' on their first try" would be moot.

Durban is simply as beautiful as Cape Town. But come on, Seoul got the Olympic Games because they were competing against a non-iconic city, so better to award it to a Capital City where people can point easily in their maps. I think the magic of the Olympics for people in general is to see the Olympics in a well-known city like Athens, Paris, London, Los Angeles, Berlin, Rome, Tokyo, Mexico City, Moscow, Beijing or Rio de Janeiro.

Yes, but Tier-B cities like Antwerp, Melbourne, Montreal, Munich, Atlanta, Barcelona, Seoul have done well too. Durban's going to be fine. I mean the satellite football sites will be Capetown, Johannesburg and Pretoria/Port Elizabeth anyway; so those cities will get to share in the Olympic spotlight.

Archived