South Africa Happy To Bid For 2024 Summer Games

GBModerator

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Show's over everyone, no need to bid, 2024 is taken! .......

"We are happy to bid" is not the same as "We plan on bidding." Until South Africa says that, 2024 is in no way taken. How many cities out there would be "happy" to bid, but aren't going to for any number of reasons. This is not over yet. Not by a longshot.

Yeah, I'm sure that's why. If South Africa were to put together a credible bid, why wouldn't they be a favorite to win much like Beijing, Rio & PyeongChang were? Why would their case be any different than in those races, or even now, where "new & exotic" Istanbul is viewed by many as the "hot favorite" to win the 2020 Games.

It's one thing to be a favourite to win, it's another to pre-ordain a city a winner the way Durban has been, before bidding has even started. Rio and Istanbul weren't even favourites before they bid (and how exactly is Istanbul a favourite even now?), and only Beijing was pre-ordained like Durban is now, but at least China had earned it.

It's nauseating for anyone who isn't a Durban fanboy.

Yeah, I'm sure that's why. If South Africa were to put together a credible bid, why wouldn't they be a favorite to win much like Beijing, Rio & PyeongChang were? Why would their case be any different than in those races, or even now, where "new & exotic" Istanbul is viewed by many as the "hot favorite" to win the 2020 Games.

The argument against would be that Beijing (2000), Rio (2012), Pyeongchang (2010 and 2014) and Istanbul (2000, 2004, 2018 and 2012) have all bid prior to being awarded the games.

Expecting to win first time around would be unusual especially for a first time hosting country.

It's not like South Africa doesn't have previous bid & international sporting experience already. Just bcuz something seems unusual doesn't mean that it's insurmountable. Especially when it come to Africa, where there have been several, high ranking officials, in the sporting world that would endorse such an endeavor.

It's one thing to be a favourite to win, it's another to pre-ordain a city a winner the way Durban has been, before bidding has even started. It's nauseating for anyone who isn't a Durban fanboy.

You mean just like all the "nauseating" declarations that a lot of you Toronto "fanboys" have been making before bidding has even started.

Many made deplorable stances against PyeongChang as to why they weren't/shouldn't win. I see this as not much different. People always criticize as to what they see as a potential threat.

And many are declaring Istanbul as the favorite, the bookies, the media, many on this forum & even London City Hall. And so China "earned" it. That excused could be used against almost any of the potential 2024 bidders.

The argument against would be that Beijing (2000), Rio (2012), Pyeongchang (2010 and 2014) and Istanbul (2000, 2004, 2018 and 2012) have all bid prior to being awarded the games.

Expecting to win first time around would be unusual especially for a first time hosting country.

Here, we go with the first business again. The US first got it in 1904. Sweden first got it for 1912. Belgium first got it for 1920. Uhmmm...Finland first got it for 1952; then Australia got it for 1956. Capetown came in #3 in 1997. In some ways, a World Cup is almost as complex as an Olympics. Uhmmm.... the entire IOC body met in Durban only 2 years ago, was it?? <_<

Here, we go with the first business again. The US first got it in 1904. Sweden first got it for 1912. Belgium first got it for 1920. Uhmmm...Finland first got it for 1952; then Australia got it for 1956. Capetown came in #3 in 1997. In some ways, a World Cup is almost as complex as an Olympics. Uhmmm.... the entire IOC body met in Durban only 2 years ago, was it?? <_<

And you seem to be unable to find a modern precedent ..... 1956 ...

it was Cape Town bidding in 1997 ... Durban is an entirely different case especially when it is not even the 2nd city within the host nation.

And you seem to be unable to find a modern precedent ..... 1956 ...

it was Cape Town bidding in 1997 ... Durban is an entirely different case especially when it is not even the 2nd city within the host nation.

Huh? Read my post again. Or has the blizzard in Bozeman temporarily blinded you??

And you think by putting up Johannesburg #1 where the players and spectators were wet and nearly freezing on that final night of World Cup 2010, will cut it? :blink: You should work for Mike Lee's firm...(sarcasm). ;)

You mean just like all the "nauseating" declarations that a lot of you Toronto "fanboys" have been making before bidding has even started.

Many made deplorable stances against PyeongChang as to why they weren't/shouldn't win. I see this as not much different. People always criticize as to what they see as a potential threat.

And many are declaring Istanbul as the favorite, the bookies, the media, many on this forum & even London City Hall. And so China "earned" it. That excused could be used against almost any of the potential 2024 bidders.

Lol reaching much, are we? I don't recall any fanboy saying Toronto has it in the bag.

Again, you're thinking way too personally. I'm ok with Toronto getting the Games, but I'm ok without it too. None of this has anything to do with feeling threatened by Durban. (And herein comes the "T" word again. I thought you guys liked to avoid that nauseating word)

Lol reaching much, are we? I don't recall any fanboy saying Toronto has it in the bag.

Oh, please. I'm not reaching at all. Then you've conveinently been ignoring those posts or just glossing over them. There's at least a good couple on here that harshly criticize everything from South Africa to France to Italy to the U.S. Which would coincidently, be the "T.s" biggest threats if any, or all of them were to bid. Go figure.

And you think by putting up Johannesburg #1 where the players and spectators were wet and nearly freezing on that final night of World Cup 2010, will cut it? :blink: You should work for Mike Lee's firm...(sarcasm). ;)

Exactly, & it's not like Durban is that much second fiddle to Cape Town. Metropolitan wise, Cape Town is not that much larger.

Does the F in your name stand for fish? If you can't remember what we were talking about earlier in this thread, at least go check it out before replying. ;)

Hypocrite much? Did you see why the "fishing" occured in the first place. :)

It was never elaborated who said what & in what context. Virtually any city bidding for the Games would have lots of work to do. That's why the decisions are made seven years in advance. But as usual by some around here, anything to underemine a potential South African bid.

I agree there's no commitment made, but surely the significance of this is that it's the government that seems keen. It was the NOC that was gung-ho to go for 2020, and the government that put the brakes on that. Now it would seem the official support is there.

Archived