Uh-oh. Riots in Istanbul not good...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It didn't stop Beijing from getting the 2008 Games, did it?

All of this is very significant for Istanbul's bid.

Suppression of free speech?

Elimination of green spaces?

Government sponsored brutality?

None of that is at all in line with Olympic ideals.

If this were happening in September, I would say it could be fatal to the bid. They do have a few months to do damage control and mend their ways, but they seriously need to get their act together. Erdogan is systematically repealing much of the progress made by his predecessors and it is quite disturbing.

Protests will not affect Istanbul bid - teamThe nationwide unrest that has swept Turkey with the focal point in Istanbul will not have any bearing on the city's attempt to host the 2020 Olympic Games, the bid team told AFP on Wednesday.

The statement came after two International Olympic Committee (IOC) members told AFP under condition of anonymity they were no longer certain to vote for Istanbul, who are competing for the Games against Madrid and Tokyo.

Their doubts have grown since police cracked down heavily on May 31 on a campaign to save Gezi Park, near Istanbul's historic Taksim Square, from redevelopment.

The two IOC members echoed the same concerns at the level of anger expressed over the redevelopment.

"If this is an indication of people's disquiet over a shopping centre being built then one fears for what the protests might be if Istanbul win the Games and building work begins on the venues," said one.

"Similar protests would not be very good for the image of the IOC and could also drag us into endless delays over the construction of the venues and the infrastructure."

The Istanbul bid has run an effective campaign, based on strong government support both financially and politically, the relatively strong economy and the allure of it being a city that embraces Christians and Muslims.

The bid team maintained that all their building projects enjoy widespread support.

"This situation will have no bearing on our ability to deliver our Games concept, which was designed after extensive consultation with environmental groups and NGOs," the statement read.

"That consultation process will continue in partnership with the national and municipal authorities throughout the construction programme.

"We are as confident as ever that we can deliver the Games without risk and to world-class standards, just as Turkey has done for over 40 major international sports events in the last seven years."

The bid team -- which is headed by businessman Hasan Arat -- said the latest polls showed how much the possibility of hosting the Games had energised the citizens of the city.

"What is most important is that the people of Istanbul and Turkey believe in the Games," they said.

"The latest IOC poll put public support in Istanbul at 83 percent -- very few bid cities have ever had that kind of backing. Our bid, and the 20-year dream of the Turkish people, will not be affected by these events."

The bid team, who highlighted that both the Mediterranean Games in Mersin and the FIFA Under-20 world championships also in Turkey were due to go ahead as planned from next week, believed, too, that not all IOC members were wavering.

Indeed FIFA issued a statement later on Wednesday saying they were satisfied after being in constant touch with the tournament organisers.

"According to the information they (the organisers) provided, the incidents deal with a domestic issue based in two contained areas in Istanbul," FIFA said.

"It is not foreseen that the tournament locations are affected. The LOC will continue its close cooperation with law enforcement and will regularly update FIFA.

"Safety and security is one of the most important matters in the preparation of any major event."

However, an international sailing regatta scheduled to be held in Istanbul later this month has been postponed by the organisers of the Extreme Sailing Series.

"After consultation with our partners in Istanbul, the decision has been taken to postpone Act 4, Istanbul, to give best support to Istanbul's Olympic bid," they said.

Another IOC member, though, supported Istanbul's assertion that not all members were wavering.

"September (7, when IOC members vote on the 2020 hosts at a meeting in Buenos Aires) is a long way away yet and if this is resolved quickly then members will soon forget. That is the nature of the beast," he told AFP.

AFP

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/354801/protests-will-not-affect-istanbul-bid-team

China is a market of 1.25 billion 5 years ago. Turkey is ONLY 72 million vs. 128 million Japanese. Think about it.

But think about all those Turkic countries that share language, ethnic and religious roots. Practically all Central Asia plus those ones in Iran and other countries in the region represent a huge market of more than 200 million people.

Anyway, I'm sure the IOC could still award Istanbul. This will also work as a good catalyzer to change politics in the region.

But think about all those Turkic countries that share language, ethnic and religious roots. Practically all Central Asia plus those ones in Iran and other countries in the region represent a huge market of more than 200 million people.

Anyway, I'm sure the IOC could still award Istanbul. This will also work as a good catalyzer to change politics in the region.

Is there any real guarantee that the Olympic Games will serve as a catalyst for improved politics in the region? Korean relations have remained terrible after Seoul 1988, Sarajevo 1984 did not ensure the happy co-existence of the different national groups in Yugoslavia, and the Mexican government became increasingly more repressive in the period leading to the hosting of the 1968 Olympic Games.

Is there any real guarantee that the Olympic Games will serve as a catalyst for improved politics in the region? Korean relations have remained terrible after Seoul 1988, Sarajevo 1984 did not ensure the happy co-existence of the different national groups in Yugoslavia, and the Mexican government became increasingly more repressive in the period leading to the hosting of the 1968 Olympic Games.

Then that just goes to show that no one should use or expect the Olympic Games to change any society. Remember, it is just a 2-week party that the IOC finds some sucka city/gov't to throw for them. If it'll bring greater good to any society, then fine. If not, then it is hoped that there won't be any long-lasting liabilities . But then again, they went after the Games and all the pluses/minuses that go with it (cough...cough, Mexico, Montreal and Athens). It's an open process and you go in with all your eyes open.

Bridge Together.......so much for another bogus bit of pr. / maybe Tokyo had the right idea not to make up a phony exaggerated reason they should host / Tokyo looks more honest every day except for that little nuclear disaster and vast contamination of the PACIFIC OCEAN due largely to government incompetence and politics / look over here-look over here at Tokyo’s bid, nothing much to see up in Fukashima and you’ll be very safe in Tokyo / however we don’t like to show much passion…..PLEASE ENJOY!

This is the most unappealing Olympic race since the last one!

In the end I prefer to go to Madrid.

TO be honest, Paul...Turkey is a society in transition. They will have to undergo these trials and tribulations of a very bipolar society. Are they European or are they not? R they going to go Islamic or stay secular? Will they stay true to Kamal Ataturk's vision of a modern 20th-21st century society or will they turn back the hands of time? These are all growing pains...and the tumult now occuring could also have happened a few years down the line.

It's Erdogan's now to lose. He and his Istanbul team better show what they can deliver during the Mersin Med Games...which they inherited. I am sure the IOC will be watching that very closely. That and how he reaches out to the more progressive sectors of his country will be the real test of winning 2020 or not.

Bridge Together.......so much for another bogus bit of pr. / maybe Tokyo had the right idea not to make up a phony exaggerated reason they should host / Tokyo looks more honest every day except for that little nuclear disaster and vast contamination of the PACIFIC OCEAN due largely to government incompetence and politics / look over here-look over here at Tokyo’s bid, nothing much to see up in Fukashima and you’ll be very safe in Tokyo / however we don’t like to show much passion…..PLEASE ENJOY!

This is the most unappealing Olympic race since the last one!

In the end I prefer to go to Madrid.

Someone doesn't seem upbeat about Tokyo.. They're clearly more ready then Istanbul. These races are boring because of the new frontiers. I can't wait til 2021 for the more capable cities to host the games and not lose to the "final frontiers"

I think that this is the last nail in the coffin for the Istanbul Turkey 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games Bid, Yes the protest will affect the bid the organizing committee are too naive to see it, Istanbul Turkey is a weak bid and Istanbul never hosted a multi sporting event before unlike Rio de Janeiro Brazil before, Beijing China hosted the 1990 Asian Games and look what happen a year before that they were deemed the favourites to win the 2000 but they lost because of that.

Madrid Spain is bankrupted and the big doping case is not very good for Spain and Spauin only just hosted the Olympics 21 years ago so 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games will go to Tokyo Japan.

I've been away from the internet and news for a week. Very surprised when going to the BBC news site this morning to see the top news story is STILL Istanbul. This has gone on way too long for it not to impact the city's Olympic chances I think.

they better scramble to at least grab Euro 2020. (Oh wait, I think they have the World's Fair for Izmir that year. Or is even that, gone now?)

Not even that, Baron. Remember Platini decided the Euro 2020 will be played everywhere in Europe mostly because of the economic crisis (Turkey was the only country who put a serious bid) so they can also say bye bye to the championships.

And yeah, I think that this might hurt Istanbul chances to win the games. After these events opposition among Turkish against the games will grow up (and we all know what happened to bids which had strong national opposition *stares at Amsterdam and Helsinki* )

I think that this is the last nail in the coffin for the Istanbul Turkey 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games Bid, Yes the protest will affect the bid the organizing committee are too naive to see it, Istanbul Turkey is a weak bid and Istanbul never hosted a multi sporting event before unlike Rio de Janeiro Brazil before, Beijing China hosted the 1990 Asian Games and look what happen a year before that they were deemed the favourites to win the 2000 but they lost because of that.

Madrid Spain is bankrupted and the big doping case is not very good for Spain and Spauin only just hosted the Olympics 21 years ago so 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games will go to Tokyo Japan.

I would like to know where did you read that Madrid is in Bankrupted, tell me your source, because I'm so curious.

One thing is debt and another thing is bankrupt. Germany has much more debt that Madrid (80%) and is not bankrupted, and Madrid (next year will reduce its debt down to 10%) is not a village in the Middle of Castilla with some farmers and some ill sheeps, and has so much strong companies and industry to hold it, even worst.

For the people don't know, Madrid is an Alpha city, is the 4th most important city economically in Europe, is in 4th place in number of conventions & bussines events in the world, Madrid is the South and Middle America international hub-gate for Europe, is one of the most visited cities in Europe, 2nd city in Europe behind London in number of cultural events, with a huge infrastructure that the most important cities would like to have. We already paid this last thing (and many more) and now because of the crisis it is time for one or two more years of austerity. Another thing are the levels of unemployment or the submission to banks because of EU political interests.

But please, Madrid is not bankrupted, so don't lie.

Of course would be very healthy! I don't say otherwise :), but sometimes the disparagement of Madrid about some topics are simply exaggerated, and I should answer. Of course Madrid need stimulation, but that doesn't mean can't handle the Games, even Madrid could handle a very good Games.

Archived