2013-14 ISU Figure Skating Season: The Road to Sochi

Wonder where Skate America will be. Unfortunately, but understandably, the events don't seem to come south much.

I'm thinking of going to US Nationals next year though.

Last time Skate America was held in the south was 1992 when it was held in Atlanta. Of the 6 grand prix events only confirmed location is Canada which will be in Kelowna, BC. France and Russia will most likely be in Paris and Moscow. All the rest are waiting for host to be known.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought you all might enjoy seeing Yuna's short program from Korean nationals. She skated clean and earned an (inflated) world record score for the program, 80.60, the first score of over 80 in a women's short program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-j7FoDfEKs

Of course, national championships tend to see inflated scores, particularly in PCS. But good for her! Should be quite an Olympics if all the ladies bring it.

Looking forward to US Nationals!! This is the first year my 5-year-old daughter is old enough to understand figure skating and the Olympics. I'm so excited to share it with her!

Wow Gracie Gold in first? That should make the tv networks happy.

Well, because I'm a cheapskate who doesn't pay for IceNetwork, I haven't actually SEEN any of the skates, although I listened to the free IceNetwork radio for most of the time, But I'm not surprised to see Gracie in first. There's the Frank Carroll factor, and USFS clearly loves her. I knew there was no margin of error for Ashley. Seeing Ashley behind Mirai is the real shocker.

All of that said, Gracie's score seems somewhat inflated to me... but maybe I'll see the skate and be a believer!

Here's the full listings:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2014/2014_us_fs_champs/results.html

Surprises (for me) included Mirai in 3rd (yay!) and Zawadzki all the way back in 13th.

And poor Rachel Flatt is at 20. Comps to the gal just for trying. But I think she better hang up those competitive skates.

And poor Rachel Flatt is at 20. Comps to the gal just for trying. But I think she better hang up those competitive skates.

Rachel's been really part-time the last few seasons, whilst attending Stanford. She's said this is her last season. I think she's skating just for herself now. She's on track for med school soon, I think.

Is Polina even age eligible for the Olympics? Here's the skate order for the free skate

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2014/2014_us_fs_champs/results.html

Gracie skates last, Wagner second to skate in the final group.

Polina is age-eligible, just barely.

LOVE Gracie Gold's SP. Fabulous.

Polina's fun and she's gonna be great, but for right now she's still all elbows and knees.

You know, I was not necessarily a fan of the idea of Gracie changing her short - I thought it was her long that really needed changing - but the change definitely seems to have resonated with USFS! I will admit that the frenetic nature of her original short to Three Preludes perhaps highlighted some of her deficiencies (arms, whole body movement, emotional involvement, etc.), although I liked the way it displayed her raw power. The new program definitely gives her a more ladylike veneer and masks her weaknesses. It's the Frank Carroll treatment for sure. And technically last night she was on fire with her jumps and spins. She absolutely deserves to be leading the field at this point, although I feel her PCS was probably a bit inflated. I would put her more in the 69 or 70 range. Still a strong lead over the others but not quite so celestially high.

Right now my choices for the team would be Gracie, Mirai, and Ashley. I agree re: Polina. She looks less polished than other women in her same age bracket - namely Julia L and Elena R.

Aren't numbers usually inflated at Nationals?

Yes, absolutely they are!

Archived