Sign in to follow this  
olympian

2013-14 ISU Figure Skating Season: The Road to Sochi

ukraine israel uk and estonia qualify in pairs. Israel qualifies first athletes for sochi congrats. this also means japan is likely out of the team trophy.

There's some section buried inside the qualification rules that allows countries qualified for the team trophy to bring athletes for disciplines that they aren't qualified for. So Japan still gets to compete in team trophy with a full team.

There's some section buried inside the qualification rules that allows countries qualified for the team trophy to bring athletes for disciplines that they aren't qualified for. So Japan still gets to compete in team trophy with a full team.

"Each Team must participate in at least 3 disciplines (Ladies/Men/Pair Skating/Ice Dance) of

the Figure Skating Team Event. NOCs/ISU Members who according to the procedure as per
paragraph 2 above would have qualified for the Figure Skating Team Event but who are
unable or unwilling to compose a Team with Skaters/Couples competing in at least 3
disciplines will not be allowed to compete in the Figure Skating Team Event
If the Reeds don't qualify tomorrow Japan might be out of luck. However there is additional quotas available one per event and not sure if Japan would get two of those.

Congratulations to the Philippines for qualifying its first Winter Olympic athlete since 1992!

In order of qualification in men's singles:

Israel

Romania
Philippines

Austria

Ukraine

Italy

China, Turkey, Australia, Japan, Spain qualify in Ice Dance.

So 30 countries qualify for Sochi one less then in Vancouver.

Hungary, Finland, Poland, Switzerland are notable countries that miss out.

Congratulations to the Philippines for qualifying its first Winter Olympic athlete since 1992!

However, you do know that that skater from Manila, Michael Christian Martinez, won't actually compete in Sochi (and/or he will be the sub). The competition spot will actually go to a more senior guy, 23-yr old Christopher Caluza, a Fil-Am from San Diego. What a bizarre system of qualification.

Also of note Canada, China, USA, Italy and China have clinched spots in the team trophy event.

Still some qualifying left to do.

France and Germany are almost a lock

Japan will add a pair through the team quota

Great Britain and Ukraine might be the last two leaving Spain and Korea which are ahead of them (as they don't have 3 qualified events yet).

Evan Lysacek to miss Skate America

Olympic gold medalist Evan Lysacek announced Monday that he will miss Skate America because of a torn labrum in his hip.

Lysacek, who revealed the news at the Olympic media summit, said he has been assured by U.S. Figure Skating that he can enter another international event to meet the qualification requirements needed for the Sochi Games, which begin Feb. 7.

"It kills me to miss it," Lysacek said.

The 28-year-old figure skater, who has not competed since winning gold at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, has been battling injuries over the past few months. He suffered an abdominal tear over the summer that forced him to miss the U.S. International Classic. Skate America, which is being held Oct. 18-20 in Detroit, is one of the major lead-up events to Sochi.

Jason Brown, the 2013 World Junior silver medalist, will replace Lysacek at Skate America.

Brown began his first senior international season by winning the silver medal at the Nebelhorn Trophy last week in Oberstdorf, Germany. He also will compete at the Trophee Eric Bompard Nov. 15-17 in Paris.

ESPN

Evan Lysacek to miss Skate America

Olympic gold medalist Evan Lysacek announced Monday that he will miss Skate America because of a torn labrum in his hip.

Lysacek, who revealed the news at the Olympic media summit, said he has been assured by U.S. Figure Skating that he can enter another international event to meet the qualification requirements needed for the Sochi Games, which begin Feb. 7.

"It kills me to miss it," Lysacek said.

The 28-year-old figure skater, who has not competed since winning gold at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, has been battling injuries over the past few months. He suffered an abdominal tear over the summer that forced him to miss the U.S. International Classic. Skate America, which is being held Oct. 18-20 in Detroit, is one of the major lead-up events to Sochi.

Jason Brown, the 2013 World Junior silver medalist, will replace Lysacek at Skate America.

Brown began his first senior international season by winning the silver medal at the Nebelhorn Trophy last week in Oberstdorf, Germany. He also will compete at the Trophee Eric Bompard Nov. 15-17 in Paris.

ESPN

See, past 26/27, it already is an old body...and those injuries will prevent the skater from executing the trip/quad axels that one can do in one's youth. I hope Lysacek is honest enuf to himself that he is past his prime and should know when to bow out gracefully. An athlete's prime years are 18-25. After that, you are no longer Olympic gold medal material and be ready to not even make the medal stand. Has happened with so many skaters before: Boitano, katerina Witt, etc., etc. to name a few.

See, past 26/27, it already is an old body...and those injuries will prevent the skater from executing the trip/quad axels that one can do in one's youth. I hope Lysacek is honest enuf to himself that he is past his prime and should know when to bow out gracefully. An athlete's prime years are 18-25. After that, you are no longer Olympic gold medal material and be ready to not even make the medal stand. Has happened with so many skaters before: Boitano, katerina Witt, etc., etc. to name a few.

I have to agree. The handwriting seems to be on the wall. I do believe in miracles, but this isn't looking like one. Too many injuries.

evt_header.jpg

Results

Men

1. Tatsuki Machida, Japan

2. Adam Rippon, USA

3. Max Aaron, USA

Ladies

1. Mao Asada, Japan

2. Ashley Wagner, USA

3. Elena Radionova, Russia

Pairs

1. Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov, Russia

2. Kirsten Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch, Canada

3. Ksenia Stolbova/Fedor Klimov, Russia

Ice Dance

1. Meryl Davies/Charlie White, USA

2. Ana Cappellini/Luca Lanotte, Italy

3. Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani, USa

Next Stop: Saint John, New Brunswick for Skate Canada International.

However, you do know that that skater from Manila, Michael Christian Martinez, won't actually compete in Sochi (and/or he will be the sub). The competition spot will actually go to a more senior guy, 23-yr old Christopher Caluza, a Fil-Am from San Diego. What a bizarre system of qualification.

Martinez already confirmed that he's the one being sent to Sochi not Caluza.

Martinez already confirmed that he's the one being sent to Sochi not Caluza.

Found that out from Caluza himself.

BTW, Lex, do u have a contact for Martinez or the Phil FSA? Need a foto of Martinez to include in an online article I have been asked to write. PM me if u do. Thanks.

evt_header.jpg

Results

Men

1. Patrick Chan, Canada

2. Yuzuru Hanyu, Japan

3. Nobuhari Oda, Japan

Ladies

1. Julia Lipnitskaia, Russia

2. Akiko Suzuki, Japan

3. Gracie Gold, USA

Pairs

1. Stefania Berton/Onredj Hotarek, Italy

2. Wnjing Sui/Cong Han, China

3. Meagan Duhhamel/Eric Radford, Canada

Ice Dance

1. Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir, Canada

2. Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje, Canada

3. Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue, USA

Next stop: Beijing for Lexus Cup of China

Found that out from Caluza himself.

BTW, Lex, do u have a contact for Martinez or the Phil FSA? Need a foto of Martinez to include in an online article I have been asked to write. PM me if u do. Thanks.

sorry, no contact for martinez. sorry.

After watching Skate America and Skate Canada, I think the women's Olympic competition this year could be a bit boring, at least if Yu-Na does not soon appear on the scene (I pray she does!). Just feel like many of the current group of women, though there are many who I like among them, don't truly bring the level of artistry/extension/feeling that we expect of world class skaters.

The rivalry between White/Davis and Virtue/Moir has made Ice Dancing currently my favorite skating discipline to watch, which is saying something.

After watching Skate America and Skate Canada, I think the women's Olympic competition this year could be a bit boring, at least if Yu-Na does not soon appear on the scene (I pray she does!). Just feel like many of the current group of women, though there are many who I like among them, don't truly bring the level of artistry/extension/feeling that we expect of world class skaters.

Disagree. I think with Kim Yu-na, the Japanese ladies, Ashley Wagner and the young Russian ladies playing catch-up, it will be as exciting a race as any. The finale of the Grand Prix series should give an inkling of how the Sochi race is going to shape up.

Disagree. I think with Kim Yu-na, the Japanese ladies, Ashley Wagner and the young Russian ladies playing catch-up, it will be as exciting a race as any. The finale of the Grand Prix series should give an inkling of how the Sochi race is going to shape up.

While I like Ashley Wagner, I feel she's just missing something with her programs this year. Hope she sees considerable improvement over the season because what she brought to Skate America wouldn't put her on the podium in Sochi, I fear (especially with Yu-Na there). Mao Asada is looking good, that I'll give you. I was taken with little Elena Radionova at Skate America - but obviously she needs polish and she's not Olympics-eligible anyway. Julia Lipnitskaia isn't doing it for me somehow either. I don't know. I'm sure NBC will try to sell me on the storyline but I just don't feel truly emotionally invested in the ladies' race at this point, which is so weird.

There is a long season ahead, though. Things could change, I know.

evt_header.jpg

Results

Men

1. Han Yan, China

2. Maxim Kovtun, Russia

3. Takahiko Kozuka, Japan

Ladies

1. Anna Pogorilaya, Russia

2. Adelina Sotnikova, Russia

3. Carolina Kostner, Italy

Pairs

1. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy, Germany

2. Qing Pang/Jian Tong, China

3. Cheng Peng/hao Zhang, China

Ice Dance

1. Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat, France

2. Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev, Russia

3. Madison Chock/Evan Bates, USA

Next stop: Tokyo for NHK Trophy.

So, Yu-Na has announced she will return to competition in early December at the Golden Spin of Zagreb. Looking forward to seeing her programs!

Anyone want to make picks for the NHK Trophy this weekend? Men's competition should be fierce. Also curious to see Mirai Nagasu's first entry into this year's Grand Prix.

/\/\ Looked at the line-up; it's kinda tight. But I do want Javier Fernandez to place 1 or 2 in the Men's.

Davis-White and the Shibutanis for sure in the Dance.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

/\/\ Looked at the line-up; it's kinda tight. But I do want Javier Fernandez to place 1 or 2 in the Men's.

Davis-White and the Shibutanis for sure in the Dance.

You're right, if Javier does not perform well at NHK, that could be a very bad sign for his Olympic chances. The men's competition is going to be extremely tight at NHK! And not to mention all the top Japanese men will have the advantage of a hometown crowd at NHK as well.

The big question for the ice dance competition is, will one of the two Russian teams be able to win bronze and knock the Shibutanis off the podium?

You're right, if Javier does not perform well at NHK, that could be a very bad sign for his Olympic chances. The men's competition is going to be extremely tight at NHK! And not to mention all the top Japanese men will have the advantage of a hometown crowd at NHK as well.

The big question for the ice dance competition is, will one of the two Russian teams be able to win bronze and knock the Shibutanis off the podium?

I think the Shibutanis (being of Japanese heritage) would also enjoy "home ice" advantage over the Russian couples.

Javier finishes drops from #2 to #5 after Long Program; Jeremy Abbott of the US shoots from #7 in SP to capture bronze in the Finals.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028031.htm

US ladies (Gracie Gold) and the 2 US pairs just finished outside of the top 3. Will make them hungrier to win and more so for Sochi.

Other results: http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-205151-222374-nav-list,00.html?id=1436

Edited by baron-pierreIV