Sign in to follow this  
olympian

2013-14 ISU Figure Skating Season: The Road to Sochi

looks like canada will be sending 2 male skaters in shanghai

Just noticed that dance couples #s 1, 3 and 4 are Shpilband students. With VM & DW retired, Marina's highest couple is the Shibutani team (#6). So, Igor is riding high...while Marina is waning.

changing of the guards. let's not forget, Weaver and Poje are by Camerlengo and Krylova so as 10. 11 is also by Igor.

changing of the guards. let's not forget, Weaver and Poje are by Camerlengo and Krylova so as 10. 11 is also by Igor.

So is #13, the Lithuanian pair.

Canada has qualified 2 for next year.

USA and Japan will be sending 3 male skaters in shanghai while Canada will only get 1 male spot. Russia, China, Spain, France and the Czech Republic gets to send 2 male skaters.

Even though it's 2, still bad news for Canada. Good for France, people were really wondering what was going to happen with the departure of Joubert and withdrawal of Amodio.

I will eat crow. Jeremy Abbott helped the USA get 2 spots back. Good for him. I still mourn his never-realized potential.

Bobrova and Soloviev had to withdraw just before their short dance due to an injury Dmitry sustained... Have to wonder also if the supposed impending split of Nikita and Elena affected their poor performance last night.

I really love the Italians (think their short dance is one of the best this year). I don't quite understand why the Shibutanis got so buried. :( Have to go check the protocols I guess.

I don't quite understand why the Shibutanis got so buried. :( Have to go check the protocols I guess.

As Tracy Wilson or even Johnny Weir/Tara Lipinski commented, it's really rather limiting to have a brother-sister team. All they can do is to have the brother show off his sister very well, but otherwise...they can't emote as lovers unlike the non-blood related couples. How far did the Duchesnays go? Just silver. And the Shib sibs, like Ashley Wagner, are choosing too pop-rock music to dance too which doesn't go over really well with the judges.

I will eat crow. Jeremy Abbott helped the USA get 2 spots back.

Doesn't the US have 3 male singles spots? Abbott 5th + Aaron8th = 13.

world-fs-champs-2014-logo.png?mode=pad&w

Results

Men

1. Yuzuru Hanyu, Japan

2. Tatsuki Machida, Japan

3. Javier Fernandez, Spain

Ladies

1. Mao Asada, Japan

2. Julia Lipnitskaya, Russia

3. Carolina Kostner, Italy

Pairs

1. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy, Germany

2. Ksenia Stolbova/Fedor Klimov, Russia

3. Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford, Canada

Ice Dance

1. Anna Cappellini/Luca Lanotte, Italy

2. Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje, Canada

3. Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat, France

The road to Shanghai officially begins. This closes the 2013-14 season.

USA is shutout of the medals for the first time since 1994 Worlds in Chiba, Japan but regains the third spot in men's and kept it's three spot for ladies and ice dance.

Canada will be sending 2 men, 2 ladies, 3 pairs and 3 ice dance team to shanghai.

Good news for the US is that it's the start of the new quadrennium; and the skaters in 4th, 5th and 6th standings are only poised to move up and peak in the coming years. So the next few years should be exciting ones.

Yeah, that was just a typo on my part. I meant 3, obviously we already had 2 spots.

Thanks. I didn't mean to sound snarky. Just double-checking since you seem to know your stuff.

Was re-watching a bunch of programs on YouTube today and I'm almost wondering if Anna Pogorilaya got robbed of bronze in Saitama. Yes, Carolina's programs are better, interpretation is better, etc etc... I don't know.

Pogorilaya is surely thanking her lucky stars that she got in the top six. Impossible for her to get buried in the Grand Prix now - she's guaranteed two spots.

Anyway, bring on the 2014-15 thread. :)

Was re-watching a bunch of programs on YouTube today and I'm almost wondering if Anna Pogorilaya got robbed of bronze in Saitama. Yes, Carolina's programs are better, interpretation is better, etc etc... I don't know.

Pogorilaya is surely thanking her lucky stars that she got in the top six. Impossible for her to get buried in the Grand Prix now - she's guaranteed two spots.

Anyway, bring on the 2014-15 thread. :)

I'll create the 2014-15 thread soon.