2013-14 ISU Figure Skating Season: The Road to Sochi

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you mean throwing the towel in.

Throwing his hat in the ring would mean he's competing.

I can't say this is a surprise. Too many injuries. Too little, too late.

Oh geez. Yeah, throwing in the towel. That's what I get for posting on a forum right before bed.

Not a surprise at all. Honestly, I feel a little like Evan was milking the sponsorship machine by even attempting this season. I'm glad he's backing out now rather than later. Although there was really no way for him to get the minimum TES to qualify unless he signed up for the Ukrainian open (whose entry deadline is today), there was talk on Golden Skate and elsewhere that he might even try to lobby after that point... don't know if those were actually real rumors or just Evan fans with wild dreams.

So, Gracie Gold has apparently scrapped her short program and has learned another. She's debuting it at an exhibition in New Jersey tonight. Supposedly it's softer music, choreographed by Lori Nichol (no surprise since Gracie's a Frank Carroll pupil now).

Will be interesting to see if and how this changes things. We've got a few slow weeks ahead before things pick up for the various national championships.

So, Gracie Gold has apparently scrapped her short program and has learned another. She's debuting it at an exhibition in New Jersey tonight. Supposedly it's softer music, choreographed by Lori Nichol (no surprise since Gracie's a Frank Carroll pupil now).

Will be interesting to see if and how this changes things. We've got a few slow weeks ahead before things pick up for the various national championships.

I bet NBC's paying for that change. ;)

Japanese national championships run December 21-24. It's already the 21st in Japan, in the wee hours. Men's competition concludes around 9pm their time, which means that we in the US should be able to get the results of the men's short program around 9am tomorrow (in Eastern time zone at least).

Results will be posted here:

http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2013-2014/fs_e/nationals/index.htm

In some ways, the Japanese championships are more exciting than the US's this year. Wish there was a way to stream them!

Japanese national championships run December 21-24. It's already the 21st in Japan, in the wee hours. Men's competition concludes around 9pm their time, which means that we in the US should be able to get the results of the men's short program around 9am tomorrow (in Eastern time zone at least).

Results will be posted here:

http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2013-2014/fs_e/nationals/index.htm

In some ways, the Japanese championships are more exciting than the US's this year. Wish there was a way to stream them!

I can predict who will win the Pairs: Narumi TAKAHASHI and

Ryuichi KIHARA

Here is is a post with footage of the top Japanese men after the short program at the Japanese National Championships:

http://www.theskatinglesson.com/japanese-nationals-videos/

The question is, if Daisuke Takahashi finishes off the podium, will they still send him to Sochi?

The 19-year old Hanyu was terrific in the SP. He was so loose; so confident & so relaxed. ANd he's Catholic too; did u notice him cross hiimself just before starting? Hanyu is a Brian Orser product.

If DaisukeT. finished #4, I think it'll all depend on the quality of the quad between him and #3. Or do they feel Daisuke T. has already peaked before Feb? Or he could even go as an alternate. Have not been impressed with Daisuke the last few years.

Yuzuru Hanyu,Tatsuki Machida,Daisuke Takahashi(men)and Akiko Suzuki,Kanako Murakami,Mao Asada(women);those 6 Japanese skaters are going to Sochi.Miki Ando was not selected and she might announce her retirement soon.She gave birth to her first baby in April so she had to get back physical conditions in short period of time.Taking care of baby,training,reducing her weights all were too hard tasks for Ando. Who are going to Sochi from USA?

. Who are going to Sochi from USA?

I think the only sure ones at this point would be Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold for the ladies. Mirai Nagasu or Agnes Zawadski might be the 3rd; but that and the 2 men's positions are all wide open until the US Championships sometime in January 5 - 12.

(For the guys, I think it might be Jeremy Abbott and that young 18-year old w/ the hairbun.)

Am really sorry that Alissa Cszny isn't up to par. This is her last chance to shine.

I think the only sure ones at this point would be Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold for the ladies. Mirai Nagasu or Agnes Zawadski might be the 3rd; but that and the 2 men's positions are all wide open until the US Championships sometime in January 5 - 12.

(For the guys, I think it might be Jeremy Abbott and that young 18-year old w/ the hairbun.)

Am really sorry that Alissa Cszny isn't up to par. This is her last chance to shine.

Czisny already ended her season. She hasn't recovered from hip surgery (torn labrum).

Plushenko to Skate Only Team Event at Olympics

SOCHI, December 25 (R-Sport) – Turin 2006 Olympic gold medalist Evgeny Plushenko said Wednesday that he would not compete in the men’s tournament at February’s Winter Games in Sochi and would instead concentrate on the team event.

The 31-year-old, who also won Olympic silver in 2002 and 2010, said he was ready to give way to the younger generation, meaning that 18-year-old Maxim Kovtun is likely to take Russia’s sole slot in the men’s event at the Sochi Games.

“I think I’ll choose the team event and will give the individual competition to a young and prospective athlete,” Plushenko said. “I understand everything adequately. It will be enough for me to take part in the team event.”

Plushenko also added that he would not participate in January’s European championships in Budapest.

Kovtun beat Plushenko to first place at the Russian national championships Wednesday.

Plushenko was forced to withdraw from the European championships in January 2013 due to a back injury that kept him off the ice for most of the year before he returned at last month’s Volvo Open Cup in Riga, which he won against low-rated competition.

http://en.ria.ru/sochi2014/20131225/185925112/Plushenko-to-Skate-Only-Team-Event-at-Olympics.html

"NOCs/ISU Members with Teams who have qualified Skaters/Couples in an individual OWG

competition/discipline (Single Lady, Single Man, Pair Skating, Ice Dance), must list the
respective qualified Skaters/Couples of such discipline also as entries for the Figure Skating
Team Event and may not enter different Skaters/Couples for such discipline.
NOCs/ISU Members who do not have qualified Skaters/Couples in an individual OWG
competition/discipline (Single Lady, Single Man, Pair Skating, Ice Dance), may enter into
the Figure Skating Team Event 1 Skater/Couple per competition/discipline plus one Stand-by
Skater/Couple per discipline. The Stand-by Skaters/Couples will remain on stand-by and will
not be accredited/allowed into the Olympic Village unless the initially entered Skater/Couple
has been confirmed as withdrawn due to injury, illness or other serious reasons as accepted by
the IOC/ISU."

Archived