Sign in to follow this  
polarbear

Anchorage, Alaska to explore possible 2026 Winter Bid

But if its Reno every other country not from North America such as Beijing, Krakow, Munich (?) will rub their hands in glee thinking they've now got a better than 50/50 chance for 2026, because the IOC delegates will rock up, see the splendors of Lake Tahoe .... but will then have to go to Reno, unless the bid team plan to avoid showing the IOC Reno

And what do you think those IOC delegates will say if they see Bozeman instead of Reno? I've said it plenty of times before that I don't think Reno-Tahoe will fare all that well on the world stage, especially in tough economic times where they can't blow the IOC away who tons of spending. But do you really think Bozeman offers the USOC a better shot at winning than Reno? Not a chance. Bozeman offers little to nothing that the IOC would be interested in. At the very least, Reno can offer a highly popular skiing region in Lake Tahoe that might give them an outside chance at at least being competitive.

Would Reno completely overhaul the entire city? Using private money and against the vested interests where the city's economy is heavily reliant on gambling and betting?

No, they'd all rather come to Bozeman whose airport handled less than 900,00 passengers for the entire YEAR of 2012. At least large numbers of people can get to Reno. What's the interests of Bozeman that make them more suitable to host a Winter Olympics?

Edit : That should read 900,000 (nine hundred thousand)

And what do you think those IOC delegates will say if they see Bozeman instead of Reno? I've said it plenty of times before that I don't think Reno-Tahoe will fare all that well on the world stage, especially in tough economic times where they can't blow the IOC away who tons of spending. But do you really think Bozeman offers the USOC a better shot at winning than Reno? Not a chance. Bozeman offers little to nothing that the IOC would be interested in. At the very least, Reno can offer a highly popular skiing region in Lake Tahoe that might give them an outside chance at at least being competitive.

No, they'd all rather come to Bozeman whose airport handled less than 900,00 passengers for the entire YEAR of 2012. At least large numbers of people can get to Reno. What's the interests of Bozeman that make them more suitable to host a Winter Olympics?

Edit : That should read 900,000 (nine hundred thousand)

As long as an airport has the ability to handle bigger aircraft during special occasions then it can ... as can Bozeman-Yellowstone

As long as an airport has the ability to handle bigger aircraft during special occasions then it can ... as can Bozeman-Yellowstone

But what good is it to have A380s and 747s disgorging 500 passengers at a time, if there are NO hotel rooms to take them in? What will the scores of visitors do? Sleep at the airport and at the venues? :blink:

You do realize this is a competition, right? And that the IOC (or in this case, the USOC) has a choice of candidates and gets to select which one is bigger and better? "it can" is not enough to land you an Olympics. Again, that's the knock against Reno, but they're still ahead of Bozeman in that area. They're used to handling people wanting to come to the area to visit Lake Tahoe. Is Bozeman really ready and capable of handling that type of surge of people that would come for an Olympics? At least with Reno, there are other options nearby. With Bozeman, not so much.

Seriously gromit, you keep bashing Reno yet you're offering up an alternative option that actually makes Reno look like the better option!!

Gromit, Lord David...

Psssssssst....there's that other "B" city 771 km west of Bozeman.

HA HA HA!! Beat ya to it!!

Boise's mine!!! :lol::lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

But what good is it to have A380s and 747s disgorging 500 passengers at a time, if there are NO hotel rooms to take them in? What will the scores of visitors do? Sleep at the airport and at the venues? :blink:

I doubt Reno can handle those plan classes, and Reno attracts people more interested in gambling than outdoor sports.

If Reno is what the USOC offers up, then 2026 won't be held in the USA

Yet Bozeman could do better?! :wacko:

No

Its just another potential bidder alongside Anchorage

But it is not likely to be as trashingly unattractive and unOlympic as Reno

Yeah, but unlike Bozeman, Anchorage at least could be a realistic, attractive alternative.

I doubt Reno can handle those plan classes, and Reno attracts people more interested in gambling than outdoor sports.

Are you seriously that ignorant? What airport do you think people fly into when they go skiing in Lake Tahoe? Skiing.. you know, that thing they do in the Winter Olympics. They fly into Reno.

It's possible for Anchorage to make their case for an Olympics. Reno, with Tahoe as part of their bid, has a chance to make their case. Bozeman has virtually no chance. They have less of a chance than Reno.

That may be so. But if the USOC offers up Bozeman, then we're living in some parallel dimension. Because they're not offering up Bozeman. There's no way I can see it happening and you haven't offered ANY sort of reason they should be considered.

Are you seriously that ignorant? What airport do you think people fly into when they go skiing in Lake Tahoe? Skiing.. you know, that thing they do in the Winter Olympics. They fly into Reno.

It's possible for Anchorage to make their case for an Olympics. Reno, with Tahoe as part of their bid, has a chance to make their case. Bozeman has virtually no chance. They have less of a chance than Reno.

That may be so. But if the USOC offers up Bozeman, then we're living in some parallel dimension. Because they're not offering up Bozeman. There's no way I can see it happening and you haven't offered ANY sort of reason they should be considered.

Are you seriously that ignorant

the A380 and the B747 require specific facilities at an airport purpose built. There are few airports around the world that can handle the A380.

That is what the comment Baron made and the two types of aircraft he referred too .... maybe you should acquire some basic literacy before commenting.

Are you seriously that ignorant

the A380 and the B747 require specific facilities at an airport purpose built. There are few airports around the world that can handle the A380.

That is what the comment Baron made and the two types of aircraft he referred too .... maybe you should acquire some basic literacy before commenting.

I know what the A380 and B747 are. Yes, I know that Reno is ill-equipped to handle those aircraft. Your next comment though was that Reno attracts more people more interested in gambling than outdoor sports. Again, what do you think skiing is? Because I'm willing to bet there's an awful lot of people flying in and out of Reno who are there to ski. I know you weren't taking baron's comments about those specific planes that literally, but then again you're still the person who says Reno won't happen and then is offering up Bozeman. So yea, please, continue to make that argument and see if you can manage to make it work. Because so far all you're doing is giving us a city that makes Reno look better by comparison.

Oh, and for those of us actually capable of doing research to make an argument rather than throwing out ridiculously hypothetical venue plans..

http://yourwashoertp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Airport.pdf

Airfield First

•$110 million upgrade to airfield in

mid-1990s

•Runway 16R-34L

•11,002’ x 150’

•Up to Boeing 747

•Runway 16L-34R

•9,000’ x 150’

•Up to Boeing 747

So to answer your question.. Reno airport IS capable of handling Boeing 747's. What can Bozeman handle?

I know what the A380 and B747 are. Yes, I know that Reno is ill-equipped to handle those aircraft. Your next comment though was that Reno attracts more people more interested in gambling than outdoor sports. Again, what do you think skiing is? Because I'm willing to bet there's an awful lot of people flying in and out of Reno who are there to ski. I know you weren't taking baron's comments about those specific planes that literally, but then again you're still the person who says Reno won't happen and then is offering up Bozeman. So yea, please, continue to make that argument and see if you can manage to make it work. Because so far all you're doing is giving us a city that makes Reno look better by comparison.

and where do you think people fly to when they use Big Sky?

Undoubtedly many people drive up to Lake Tahoe ... but the point is Reno is an eyesore and if the USOC offer Reno up, they'll be beaten by others.

At least Bozeman doesn't offer the tacky, over the top, brash, ugly, neon light awfulness of Reno.

and where do you think people fly to when they use Big Sky?

Undoubtedly many people drive up to Lake Tahoe ... but the point is Reno is an eyesore and if the USOC offer Reno up, they'll be beaten by others.

At least Bozeman doesn't offer the tacky, over the top, brash, ugly, neon light awfulness of Reno.

Let's see.. Helena, Billings, Cheyenne, Jackson Hole. I'm sure I could come up with others. I can't think of much reason to fly into Bozeman. There's a pretty good one to fly into Reno and it happens to relate directly to the event we're talking about that they'd want to land.

Again, I agree that Reno would probably get beaten by other world cities. But Bozeman doesn't really offer anything worthwhile. In a domestic race (other candidates notwithstanding which could and probably would be better), Reno would be Bozeman without question.

Let's see.. Helena, Billings, Cheyenne, Jackson Hole. I'm sure I could come up with others. I can't think of much reason to fly into Bozeman. There's a pretty good one to fly into Reno and it happens to relate directly to the event we're talking about that they'd want to land.

Again, I agree that Reno would probably get beaten by other world cities. But Bozeman doesn't really offer anything worthwhile. In a domestic race (other candidates notwithstanding which could and probably would be better), Reno would be Bozeman without question.

So lets see .... distances from Big Sky to their respective airports

Bozeman 52.5 miles

Helena 138.5miles (much smaller airport)

Billings 194miles (about the same size

Cheyenne 595miles (much smaller)

Jackson Hole 177 miles (much smaller)

Why would people choose to fly into smaller airports, three times the distance if not more than they need to??????

So lets see .... distances from Big Sky to their respective airports

Bozeman 52.5 miles

Helena 138.5miles (much smaller airport)

Billings 194miles (about the same size

Cheyenne 595miles (much smaller)

Jackson Hole 177 miles (much smaller)

Why would people choose to fly into smaller airports, three times the distance if not more than they need to??????

Oh, you meant Big Sky ski resort. I didn't know such a thing existed. Although that you bring it up..

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christophersteiner/2012/12/03/the-top-10-ski-resorts-in-the-united-states-for-2013/3/

Big Sky (PAF: 81) - Montana skiing doesn’t get the love it deserves. We’re going to change that soon. Big Sky has some great terrain, but it loses points on accessibility (you have to fly to Bozeman) and the fact that the place is always cold and has a weaker base village.

Oh, you meant Big Sky ski resort. I didn't know such a thing existed. Although that you bring it up..

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christophersteiner/2012/12/03/the-top-10-ski-resorts-in-the-united-states-for-2013/3/

Big Sky (PAF: 81) - Montana skiing doesn’t get the love it deserves. We’re going to change that soon. Big Sky has some great terrain, but it loses points on accessibility (you have to fly to Bozeman) and the fact that the place is always cold and has a weaker base village.

Where do you think a Bozeman bid would hold the Alpine Events?

Ah, so a successful bidder would not do what Vancouver did and plan to improve infrastructure.

I get you now.

Where do you think a Bozeman bid would hold the Alpine Events?

Ah, so a successful bidder would not do what Vancouver did and plan to improve infrastructure.

I get you now.

No.. a successful bidder would be a city that could handle the crush of people that would descend upon their city come time for the Olympics. Reno might not be that city, but who is better prepared to handle that.. Reno-Tahoe or Bozeman-Big Sky? Not even a contest there.

Like Lake Placid 1980, the only way Bozeman could ever be a real contender, is if they were the only ones contending.

Bozeman is under 40,000; greater metro Reno pop is 400,000+.(10x the difference).

I doubt that Bozeman could even handle an IOC Session; let alone a Winter Olympics. Is there even a friggin' college in Bozeman?? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Bozeman is under 40,000; greater metro Reno pop is 400,000+.(10x the difference).

I doubt that Bozeman could even handle an IOC Session; let alone a Winter Olympics. Is there even a friggin' college in Bozeman?? :blink:

You just cannot help being inaccurate .....

Are you comparing city populations or metro populations .... if you want to present an objective argument you compare like for like

The metro population of Bozeman is in fact over 89,000 people .... less than Reno admittedly but it is pathetic that you deliberately try to obscure the facts even when they are in your favour.

And as previous people have been mentioning the Bobcats, and Montana State University, it is clear to even the marginally literate that Bozeman has a 'friggin' college

as u can tell, I was that razzed up to know and research more about Bozeman. :rolleyes: Sorry, just have no reason to invest a few more strokes & my precious time w/ a place I have absolutely no interest in. I don't care if I'm accurate or not.

Really not interested.

Let's set the record straight, Baron.

1. You've high-jacked this thread to promote SAC-TAH-RENO. There's no such thing as Tah-Reno. You're just trying to hide the fact that these would be the most ridiculously spread out Games ever because Reno has no venues.

2. You pretend my only complaint against Reno is that it's unattractive. Ignore the lack of ambiance. Fine. It still has no venues and the Games would be scattered all over the place.

Face it. Reno is not electable.

What a horrible spelling mistake. Let's try "hijacked." Sorry, all.

Let's set the record straight, Baron.

1. You've high-jacked this thread to promote SAC-TAH-RENO. There's no such thing as Tah-Reno. You're just trying to hide the fact that these would be the most ridiculously spread out Games ever because Reno has no venues.

2. You pretend my only complaint against Reno is that it's unattractive. Ignore the lack of ambiance. Fine. It still has no venues and the Games would be scattered all over the place.

Face it. Reno is not electable.

Ya know what, I've ripped on baron as much as the rest of the crowd here, but if we're going to set the record straight here, I need to defend baron here. He didn't hijack this thread. gromit and Lord David were the ones who introduced Reno in this thread (repeatedly) about ANCHORAGE and then THEY were the ones who saw it fit to make the comparisons of Bozeman against Reno. If you want to get angry at the actual hijackers of this thread, point the finger at them before you start blaming baron for all the nonsense that's gone on in this thread today.

• Like 1

Ya know what, I've ripped on baron as much as the rest of the crowd here, but if we're going to set the record straight here, I need to defend baron here. He didn't hijack this thread. gromit and Lord David were the ones who introduced Reno in this thread (repeatedly) about ANCHORAGE and then THEY were the ones who saw it fit to make the comparisons of Bozeman against Reno. If you want to get angry at the actual hijackers of this thread, point the finger at them before you start blaming baron for all the nonsense that's gone on in this thread today.

Truthfully, I'm not angry. The tangents happen. It's life.

You are right, particularly about Gromit and Bozeman. One person alone can't pull off a tangent. I had read the earlier pages more carefully and I suppose I'm just so weary of this quixotic passion of Baron's that it eclipsed the rest for me.