Anchorage, Alaska to explore possible 2026 Winter Bid

I'd opt for an expansion of Bobcats Stadium, I think they would still like an open aired stadium.

As for Speed Skating, the 4,000-6,000+ venue could serve as a convention center post Olympics.

As I mentioned before, the existing Worthington Arena should be used, for Ice Hockey II, a temporary arena for Ice Hockey I and a legacy arena for Figure Skating/Short Track.

I don't think a Ski Jump ceremonies would work, even if it does not effect athlete training. The US just does not have that sort of skiing culture (or even just a little). Even if it were to make for a stunning ceremonies, the ski jumps seem rather pointless with respect to the lack of ski jumping culture, even if you can do a whole lot of stuff with them that you can't do with a regular sized stadium.

That being said, I think the classic idea of an American Football stadium seems the right way to go.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd opt for an expansion of Bobcats Stadium, I think they would still like an open aired stadium.

As for Speed Skating, the 4,000-6,000+ venue could serve as a convention center post Olympics.

As I mentioned before, the existing Worthington Arena should be used, for Ice Hockey II, a temporary arena for Ice Hockey I and a legacy arena for Figure Skating/Short Track.

I don't think a Ski Jump ceremonies would work, even if it does not effect athlete training. The US just does not have that sort of skiing culture (or even just a little). Even if it were to make for a stunning ceremonies, the ski jumps seem rather pointless with respect to the lack of ski jumping culture, even if you can do a whole lot of stuff with them that you can't do with a regular sized stadium.

That being said, I think the classic idea of an American Football stadium seems the right way to go.

I think speed skating needs a minimum of 8,000 seats but the idea of the Richmond Oval could work.

However I did discover some old plans that the UND in conjunction with JLG Architects had considered for Grand Forks.

The proposal is for a 25,000 seat retractable roof stadium - ceremonies + then a temp solution for skating / ice hockey 1?

RetractableRoofStadium.png

To the bottom left alongside the stadium is a fully covered practise facility for a full sized pitch and running track. Potentially this could for the venue for speed skating?

Sounds like a rather expensive move, especially if you're trying to promote a small town games.

Just go with Bobcats Stadium. Expand the main stand (by removing the luxury suites/press boxes) and duplicate this stand on the opposite end. Add new press boxes and luxury suites.

Expand the outer stand. Or keep it the way it is. At any rate, if one converts everything to individual seating, with expansion it should go from 17,000 to at least 30,000, or with the assistance of floor level seating.

The open end will serve a large video screen, the possible athlete's floor level seating, and the main stage. The outer stand would have the cauldron.

AERIAL+MSU+GO+CATS+Jim+R+Harris+Photogra

Sounds like a rather expensive move, especially if you're trying to promote a small town games.

Just go with Bobcats Stadium. Expand the main stand (by removing the luxury suites/press boxes) and duplicate this stand on the opposite end. Add new press boxes and luxury suites.

Expand the outer stand. Or keep it the way it is. At any rate, if one converts everything to individual seating, with expansion it should go from 17,000 to at least 30,000, or with the assistance of floor level seating.

The open end will serve a large video screen, the possible athlete's floor level seating, and the main stage. The outer stand would have the cauldron.

AERIAL+MSU+GO+CATS+Jim+R+Harris+Photogra

There are already plans to expand Bobcat stadium

img_0885new.jpg

Keep in mind you don't just need venues, you need places for all the people.

You need luxury hotels for all the VIP's. Nice space for all the TV and press crews. Then tons of housing for all the spectators and volunteers. And if you are in a smallish town, you can't count on locals to be volunteeering and buying tickets.

I would love to see the Olympics in Anchorage or Bozeman. But the housing problem is huge... much bigger than the venue issues.

Hmmmm...how come ugly, grimy, industrial London has hosted 3x whereas "beautiful, breathtaking Paris, since 1924, can't seem to get it up? :wacko:

Hmmmm...I wonder why?? :wacko:

Sounds like someone who has never been to London.

The majority of the games were held in the attractive historic part of the city.

Reno would need to be entirely demolished and start again from scratch

Wow, this forum and some of the people who post here never cease to amaze me. 1 person voices his support for 1 city. So then anyone else who doesn't support that city has to voice his disapproval even louder and chaos ensues! I know as well as anyone that baron and his support of Reno can, at times, go over the top and be pretty annoying. And as much as he doesn't need me to defend him, I suddenly feel the need to fire back at 1 of his opponents...

If you look at the metro are it comes in at about 90,000 people. Helena the state capital with a metro population of 75,000 people is less than 100miles away, and another 35,000 people live in Butte. Billings with a metro population of over 160,000 people is just over 140miles from Bozeman.

So although Bozeman is a small town, there is at least 360,000 people within a 2.5hr drive.

I think the Lillehammer/original Pyeonchang idea of ski jump site hosting the ceremonies might work - or maybe even a fully temporary arena for ceremonies could be built.

Seriously? Bozeman? I know they're expressed interest, so they're a real candidate, but if the choice came down to Bozeman or Reno, which of those 2 would win? I can go off on the technical aspects of Reno and say how underwhelming it is on the world stage, but it blows Bozeman out of the water when it comes to size and scale. You really think 360,000 people within 2.5 hours is going to get it done when you have Reno which is that close to San Francisco? You're out of your mind (and making a paper thin argument) is your argument against Reno is Bozeman, Montana. As much as Reno lacks major venues suitable for a Winter Olympics, they're way ahead of the game than Bozeman. Bobcat Stadium just underwent a renovation. Permanent capacity is around 18,000, but temporary seating could get that number higher. Good for them.. Mackey Stadium is already 30,000. I could go on, but I have more important things to do.

Seriously, the arguments here are getting stupid. The venue lists are re-damn-diculous. Bozeman? Come on!.. I'd say you guys can do better than to argue them for an Olympics, but you probably can't. Hate on Reno if you want, but if you think Bozeman has them beat because you think Reno is ugly (gromit.. do you actually think that or do you just like being contrary to baron), you are a certifiable moron.

I have been to London 3x. :P Funny, huh? Danny Boyle picked the Industrial Age for the Opening's centerpiece highlighting the ugly side of London Bad Danny.

Err no he did not.

As a simple bid of Industrial Revolution history the part of East London where the games were held was dockland not industrial manufacturing so that comment is completely erroneous

Then I must've been watching something else. My bad. :rolleyes:

or misunderstanding it - it represented the UK and the Industrial Revolution in the same way the NHS scene represented the entire UK, and the green and pleasant land section represented England

or misunderstanding it - it represented the UK and the Industrial Revolution in the same way the NHS scene represented the entire UK, and the green and pleasant land section represented England

But it was UGLY! Migosh, I don't know how the Olympic fathers allowed such a dirty sequence to be aired...and for NBC to telecast it?? I mean how will the Olympic movement recover from presenting such an ugly epoch in history?? I'm surprised they didn't use only beautiful people like the models in the CLosing!! Migod....how old are you, gromit??? :blink:

[sidebar to Quaker...notice how your intelligent, properly analytical last post has been totally crushed between the thighs of the divergent discussion...] :lol::lol:

But it was UGLY! Migosh, I don't know how the Olympic fathers allowed such a dirty sequence to be aired...and for NBC to telecast it?? I mean how will the Olympic movement recover from presenting such an ugly epoch in history?? I'm surprised they didn't use only beautiful people like the models in the CLosing!! Migod....how old are you, gromit??? :blink:

[sidebar to Quaker...notice how your intelligent, properly analytical last post has been totally crushed between the thighs of the divergent discussion...] :lol::lol:

The point you are missing is Reno unless it receives a total makeover offers nothing attractive to the Olympic movement. In fact its betting gambling background may be at odds with the Olympic ideal and after trashy Atlanta, and bribe scandal SLC the IOC will steer clear of any such controversy.

And did NBC actually bother to properly telecast it?

I was just thinking that. I mean, in a thread supposedly about ANCHORAGE, we've now drifted so far as to talk about segments during the Opening Ceremony from the London Olympics. As if that make any sense. And yea, clearly gromit is too busy arguing with you to realize I called him out in that post. If he wants to argue Bozeman against Reno, I would be more than happy to take Reno's side on that one. Plus that's not even accounting for the mountain side of things. If we want to get into mountain venues, then we have Lake Tahoe versus... yea, I don't know where people ski in Montana. Good luck with that one, gromit!

The point you are missing is Reno unless it receives a total makeover offers nothing attractive to the Olympic movement. In fact its betting gambling background may be at odds with the Olympic ideal and after trashy Atlanta, and bribe scandal SLC the IOC will steer clear of any such controversy.

And what does Bozeman, Montana offer? Since that seems to be your counter-argument to a city that's better for the Olympics than Reno.

And what does Bozeman, Montana offer? Since that seems to be your counter-argument to a city that's better for the Olympics than Reno.

as Lord David has said it offers the USOC the chance to go back to a smaller city surrounded by alpine venues never used by the Olympic movement before - a kind of Pioneer/Frontier games

If they go Reno, they might as well go SLC again or Denver

as Lord David has said it offers the USOC the chance to go back to a smaller city surrounded by alpine venues never used by the Olympic movement before - a kind of Pioneer/Frontier games

If they go Reno, they might as well go SLC again or Denver

Lord David has suggested Lake Placid should bid. He seems to think the IOC would accept having the Main Press Center in the same high school that had it in 1980. So with all due respect to him, I'm not going to put much credibility into his views on the scale of Olympic host cities.

Why would the IOC want to go to a smaller city? The Olympics have grown in size in scale since the days of hosts like Lillehammer. Smaller cities don't have the resources to offer the IOC what they're looking for in a Winter Olympics unless we're talking about the likes of a Sochi who can spend tens of billions of dollars to build a city of venues they'll never really need after the games. Why would a small city like Bozeman want to spend all the money it would take to build world class venues they'll barely be able to make use of after the Olympics? I've made the same claim of Reno, but at least they have a pretty strong drawing card in Lake Tahoe. Bozeman offers little to nothing that's going to entice the IOC to bring a once-every-four-years event to a nothing town in the state of Montana. It's not going to happen given real world constraints like money and other resources. Reno may be inadequate for an Olympics (and not because it's ugly), but they're still ahead of Bozeman in the pecking order any way you look at it.

Lord David has suggested Lake Placid should bid. He seems to think the IOC would accept having the Main Press Center in the same high school that had it in 1980. So with all due respect to him, I'm not going to put much credibility into his views on the scale of Olympic host cities.

Why would the IOC want to go to a smaller city? The Olympics have grown in size in scale since the days of hosts like Lillehammer. Smaller cities don't have the resources to offer the IOC what they're looking for in a Winter Olympics unless we're talking about the likes of a Sochi who can spend tens of billions of dollars to build a city of venues they'll never really need after the games. Why would a small city like Bozeman want to spend all the money it would take to build world class venues they'll barely be able to make use of after the Olympics? I've made the same claim of Reno, but at least they have a pretty strong drawing card in Lake Tahoe. Bozeman offers little to nothing that's going to entice the IOC to bring a once-every-four-years event to a nothing town in the state of Montana. It's not going to happen given real world constraints like money and other resources. Reno may be inadequate for an Olympics (and not because it's ugly), but they're still ahead of Bozeman in the pecking order any way you look at it.

But if its Reno every other country not from North America such as Beijing, Krakow, Munich (?) will rub their hands in glee thinking they've now got a better than 50/50 chance for 2026, because the IOC delegates will rock up, see the splendors of Lake Tahoe .... but will then have to go to Reno, unless the bid team plan to avoid showing the IOC Reno

But if its Reno every other country not from North America such as Beijing, Krakow, Munich (?) will rub their hands in glee thinking they've now got a better than 50/50 chance for 2026, because the IOC delegates will rock up, see the splendors of Lake Tahoe .... but will then have to go to Reno, unless the bid team plan to avoid showing the IOC Reno

And you think the evaluation team or even the Reno fathers are beyond imagination on revitalization and turning things around? Give them a little credit where you and AF don't have (any).

Your and AF's personal prejudices are not shared by everybody. It really makes you very superficial.

You forget that in selecting Altanta in 1990, one IOC'er was disappointed that it was "Atlanta" and NOT Atlantic City that won because he honestly thought that it was going to be in Atlantic City which...wonder of wonders...just happens to offer gambling! So you and AF sometimes speak out of turn.

And you think the evaluation team or even the Reno fathers are beyond imagination on revitalization and turning things around? Give them a little credit where you and AF don't have (any).

Your and AF's personal prejudices are not shared by everybody. It really makes you very superficial.

You forget that in selecting Altanta in 1990, one IOC'er was disappointed that it was "Atlanta" and NOT Atlantic City that won because he honestly thought that it was going to be in Atlantic City which...wonder of wonders...just happens to offer gambling! So you and AF sometimes speak out of turn.

1990 was before the bribery scandal of 1995 (SLC 2002)

Would Reno completely overhaul the entire city? Using private money and against the vested interests where the city's economy is heavily reliant on gambling and betting?

Archived