Anchorage, Alaska to explore possible 2026 Winter Bid

Here we go again. Have you even been there? :blink:

Well, eyesore or Eore, its 'revitalziation' would make a compelling sales pitch. If Anchorage is so pretty, then it doesn't need the Olympics. The revitalization angle worked fine for Barcelona and London -- why shouldn't it work for other cities? Because of prejudice and bigotry on the part of certain GB members. Sadly, you have become one of them. :P

How long will Reno dine out on the visual attractions of Lake Tahoe?

The visual splendours of Reno can be improved by total demolition.

Here is a vista for Anchorage from TripAdvisor

anchorage-skyline-photo.jpg

and the more unpleasant over the top neon light travesty which is Reno

nevada-reno-hotel.jpg

To hide behind such expressions as 'prejudice' and 'bigotry' is pretty lame.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sound's like somebody is feeling their pet host being in danger.

I don't know Anchorage and its area, so do not say it is not feasible to organize the Games here. I just check the size of the population... and saw that the size of the Metro is almost as big as the

I can't believe some of the replies that have rolled across this thing since I posted this thing! (( )) "Baron P. Myles IV book writer extraordinaire", I really, really hope the Olympics are held

^^ I agree, even with the huge distance from the 48 States.

Anchorage can look upon natural beauty, Native heritage, stunning wildlife and an ever growing metropolis.

Tahoe can look at the natural beauty factor, but Reno can only look upon a backwater city that will always be the little brother of Las Vegas.

• Like 1

Here is a vista for Anchorage from TripAdvisor

anchorage-skyline-photo.jpg

So what?

nevada-reno-hotel.jpg

I DON'T find that repellant or offensive in anyway. Again, of course, you conveniently leave out the moneyshots of the slopes of Lake Tahoe.

So? I don't find that shot of Reno particularly ugly or what? Do you really think I am that stupid to NOT discern that you of course picked strategically opposing shot to make your weak point? You probably couldn't see Anchorage at night anyway. Pls don't insult me by laying out such a blatantly 'subjective' choice of shots. I WASN'T born yesterday ya know.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Duh. Funny, but millions of PEOPLE visit Reno and Las Vegas each year. I DON'T exactly hear that Anchorage is a BIG tourist mecca. When we took the cruise to Alaska a few years ago, Anchorage wasn't EVEN included and the cruise lines DON'T even offer special excursions to A. There's NOTHING to see there. So I don't know what the lure is for Un-courage, WOG or not. :lol:

Oh LD, u just like boosting these new cities & towns, even though the practicality of distance isn't there. And it isn't just Tahoe-Reno. Say, a middle class family of 5 lives somewhere in the nexus of Tahoe, Denver, Salt Lake. They have $1,500 to spend on an Olympics experience. They happen to have relatives in the suburbs whichever of the 3 cities is hosting. They can drive over; stay at Grandma's or Uncle Harry's or whatever; can treat themselves to some tickets, for their relatives as well for staying; and have some left over for Olympic souvenirs. I don't think this is possible for an Anchorage WOG. You would probably automatically add $850 EACH for each family member's airfare alone...not to mention $3-$4k for hotel rooms -- bottom line of which: hundreds of thousands of families who live in the lower 48 would NOT be able to go to an Anchorage Games because of the added expense created by its sheer distance and remoteness. Whereas a Games in Denver, Reno-Tahoe, Salt Lake would be quite affordable. I think people in the seats and slopes are important, aren't they? Or I guess in your calculations, maybe not??

And the rejection made by the USOC a decade or so ago based on the impracticality of Anchorage's distance from the lower 48, just vanishes into thin air? Who would be using the speedskating rink, bobsled track, ski jump (all probably built at around $250 million, combined, in 2020 costs) after the Games? The USOC, after its revenues have already been clipped by the IOC, struggles to subsidize the winter athletes in the training facilities in the lower 48, and then all of a sudden, they would afford to send them a few thousand miles away from what's around? Not to mention that the majority of the coaches also live and work in the Salt Lake-Colorado-Wisconsin areas. Hello? Is foresight and planning even in those little heads?? :rolleyes:

And how stupid can all of you be? If Anchorage is photogenic (and its slopes aren't anyway), so what's the compelling reason for holding a billion-dollar event there? May I remind you again -- Sochi wasn't exactly a beauty spot. Gangneun isn't exactly on the list of the world Top Ten scenic resort cities (as is Anchorage anyway?). Sorry, I find your arguments rather weak, easily overcome and specious.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Baron, it's not just about beauty. It's about variety and the "X-factor".

The IOC chose Sochi and PC for many reasons, including the fact that they broadened the palette of Olympic destinations and each offered a unique flavor. They both also had monster budgets and tons of glamorous new construction behind them.

Reno offers none of that. In your own words, Reno's bid hopefuls are taking an "it is what it is" approach, i.e. no major projects or legacy. The city is flat out unattractive. Don't pretend that Reno is anything like Vegas either, it's just a much smaller, sadder, tackier imitation.

Finally, Nevada is right next door to Utah, host of 2002. It's the same region. It would be so much more appealing to go someplace totally unique, someplace you NEVER have to worry about snowfall. That alone would be a nice change of pace.

Reno is a non-starter and that's precisely why they've been passed over so many times in the past. The USOC has submitted Salt Lake City, Denver and Anchorage over Reno. In effect they've said, "anybody but Reno" and I agree with them.

I think an Anchorage v. Denver debate would be far more interesting.

Like others, I feel kinda icky when taking Baron's side.... but if you look at that picture of Reno, you are looking at hotels, resorts, places toursist stay. When you are looking at Anchorage, you are looking at bank buildings. While I would *love* to see the Olympics in Anchorage, it has some big hurdles to overcome.

Off to shower now.

Like others, I feel kinda icky when taking Baron's side.... but if you look at that picture of Reno, you are looking at hotels, resorts, places toursist stay. When you are looking at Anchorage, you are looking at bank buildings. While I would *love* to see the Olympics in Anchorage, it has some big hurdles to overcome.

Off to shower now.

Oh please. Turn the spiggot on full blast and get it in there where the sun don't shine!

Up yours, Zeke!! :)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The USOC has submitted Salt Lake City, Denver and Anchorage over Reno.

Except they lost with Denver and Anchorage (2x with Anchorage). So except for SLC, the USOC has obviously picked wrong with Denver and Uncourage. And you forget that Squaw Valley was picked for 1960.

And you think that Grenoble, Albertville, Sochi, PC-Gangneung are 'beauties'? :rolleyes: Think again.

Except they lost with Denver and Anchorage (2x with Anchorage). So except for SLC, the USOC has obviously picked wrong with Denver and Uncourage. And you forget that Squaw Valley was picked for 1960.

And you think that Grenoble, Albertville, Sochi, PC-Gangneung are 'beauties'? :rolleyes: Think again.

They actually won with Denver who were initially awarded the 1976 games.

and there's a difference between not being a beauty and being down right trashy and ugly

Except they lost with Denver and Anchorage (2x with Anchorage)

Do you honestly think that Reno would've done better than Anchorage did for '92 (right after Calgary '88) & '94 (against the two Nordic favorites)?

And Denver actually won a bid. Them giving the Games back doesn't have anything to with this.

They actually won with Denver who were initially awarded the 1976 games.

and there's a difference between not being a beauty and being down right trashy and ugly

Regardless, Denver still DIDN'T get to host it, did they? The ungrateful citizens just threw away a golden oppty.

It's their loss -- so in effect, it was also the USOC's.

Do you honestly think that Reno would've done better than Anchorage did for '92 (right after Calgary '88) & '94 (against the two Nordic favorites)?

WHo knows? But the fact is, Anchorage is a 2x LOSER. And even the USOC afterwards admitted it was too far away for their own post-Games use. That distance hasn't changed.

They don't even have an ice rink.

And yes, you can argue that Sochi was the same, but that's different. This is a mid sized American city we're talking about, there's bound to be at least one ice rink, but Reno lacks this.

Uhmmm...there was nothing there for Lake Placid in 1928; nothing there for Squaw Valley in 1955 when it was picked. I am sure there was nothing there for Chamonix in 1900? St. Moritz before their first rink was built.

In Reno, now... http://renotahoe.about.com/od/publicparks/a/rinkontheriver.htm

So, you were saying?? And therefore, all the more reason to bring an Olympic Games to get such sorely needed venues. All of a sudden, all of you are playing 'blind' to the Legacy aspect of a city. ANd I'm sure if Reno had all the venues there, then you'd all turn around and give the 'Madrid' excuse -- they're there, why give it to them?? :wacko:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

WHo knows? But the fact is, Anchorage is a 2x LOSER. And even the USOC afterwards admitted it was too far away for their own post-Games use. That distance hasn't changed.

The distance hasn't changed, but the difference is that Salt Lake has now hosted, the bid the USOC changed to go with at the time. Not to mention that the Lake Tahoe region has also hosted. Simply calling it Reno doesn't change that fact.

Plus, JAS' meddling for both sets of the '92 Games, I doubt that any city, other than the ones he wanted to see win, would've made it.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you with the distance issue, thats a valid point, but considering that there are now even fewer options for a U.S. Winter Olympics than there were back then (bcuz of either hosting already &/or certain baggage), I don't think that issue alone would be a deal breaker. If anything, the USOC would at least listen to what they have to say, in comparison to some loonie-tunes over in a certain delusional Oklahoma small-mid town city thinking that they can take on a 21st century Olympics.

The only thing that could be said about that is, Lake Placid wouldn't have hosted 1980 then. After that, everything else would've been, more or less, be the same, as far as U.S. Winter Olympics are concerned.

Uhmmm...there was nothing there for Lake Placid in 1928; nothing there for Squaw Valley in 1955 when it was picked. I am sure there was nothing there for Chamonix in 1900? St. Moritz before their first rink was built.

In Reno, now... http://renotahoe.about.com/od/publicparks/a/rinkontheriver.htm

So, you were saying?? And therefore, all the more reason to bring an Olympic Games to get such sorely needed venues. All of a sudden, all of you are playing 'blind' to the Legacy aspect of a city. ANd I'm sure if Reno had all the venues there, then you'd all turn around and give the 'Madrid' excuse -- they're there, why give it to them?? :wacko:

St Moritz held the first European Ice Skating Championships in 1882, a whole 46years before their first Olympics

I am sure you'll find Chamonix had an ice rink in the 19th century before the first games which was in 1924

St Moritz held the first European Ice Skating Championships in 1882, a whole 46years before their first Olympics

I am sure you'll find Chamonix had an ice rink in the 19th century before the first games which was in 1924

Well, they do HAVE a rink now. I just posted the link. Squaw Valley didn't; Lake Placid didn't have one before their first one was built. Salt Lake didn't have one. That's such a moot point. Jeez, Athens, Paris, St. Louis, Stockholm, London, do you want me to go down the line?..NEVER HAD an Olympics before the first one they hosted ...YET they got the chance to do it.

You didn't have a whiff of life until you slipped out of your mother's womb.

So... :blink::blink::blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well, they do HAVE a rink now. I just posted the link. Squaw Valley didn't; Lake Placid didn't have one before their first one was built. Salt Lake didn't have one. That's such a moot point. Jeez, Athens, Paris, St. Louis, Stockholm, London, do you want me to go down the line?..NEVER HAD an Olympics before the first one they hosted ...YET they got the chance to do it.

You didn't have a whiff of life until you slipped out of your mother's womb.

So... :blink::blink::blink:

Its not a Olympic standard - its' a rink on the river recreation site .... I doubt the IOC would even notice it existed.

Hardly the basis to take a games to a gaudy, tacky city