Anchorage, Alaska to explore possible 2026 Winter Bid

Ya know what, I've ripped on baron as much as the rest of the crowd here, but if we're going to set the record straight here, I need to defend baron here. He didn't hijack this thread. gromit and Lord David were the ones who introduced Reno in this thread (repeatedly) about ANCHORAGE and then THEY were the ones who saw it fit to make the comparisons of Bozeman against Reno. If you want to get angry at the actual hijackers of this thread, point the finger at them before you start blaming baron for all the nonsense that's gone on in this thread today.

Thank you. I know I was somewhere else when it veered towards Reno.

AthensFan, u need to get a colonic. :lol:

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truthfully, I'm not angry. The tangents happen. It's life.

You are right, particularly about Gromit and Bozeman. One person alone can't pull off a tangent. I had read the earlier pages more carefully and I suppose I'm just so weary of this quixotic passion of Baron's that it eclipsed the rest for me.

And hey, let's be honest about the subject of U.S. Winter Olympic bids here.. has baron been known to go completely over the top in support of Reno? Absolutely. I think even he'll admit that. Perhaps it's inevitable that Reno will enter the conversation. When was the last time a thread on a particular city or country actually DIDN'T turn into a comparison to any or every other city out there. So yea, eventually any a discussion of Anchorage will either include and/or veer off into involving Reno.

I think we've all grown tired of all the shouting about Reno. Again, I'm guessing even baron feels the same way. But especially when something comes up that encourages discussion of U.S. winter bidding (as a pronouncement from Anchorage certainly does), I think we (I mean 'we' in the general sense, as in many of the regulars here) are almost too quick to assume it will become about Reno. It doesn't have to be that way.

Bozeman is under 40,000; greater metro Reno pop is 400,000+.(10x the difference).

I doubt that Bozeman could even handle an IOC Session; let alone a Winter Olympics. Is there even a friggin' college in Bozeman?? :blink:

Montana State University. One of the most important if not THE important College in the state of Montana.

The fact that this could be the basis of an Olympic Village, Support Village, Anti-Doping center and has an existing arena and stadium is one of the key reasons why Bozeman has potential.

Uh-huh. The USOC letter which went out to the would-be 2024 summer cities stated that "a work force of 200,000 people is necessary" (from a base metro population of 2.5 million) OK, that is for a Summer Games. The WOGs are supposedly a third in size of the SOGs; so around 65,000 people would at least be considered to staff a WOGs. And 50-65,000 people would be culled from at least a base metro population of 500,000...maybe within a 50-mile radius of the anchor city and slopes -- and still have the area run with added staff due to the crush.

And staff Bozeman has a metro population of 89,000. So police, nurses, doctors, lawyers, hotel and restaurant workers, emergency people would all have to quit their jobs so that they could staff a WOGs of people who live locally. Uhmmm....who's going to run the city? Where will you get extra workers? Where will you get accomplished French, Slavic, Japanese, Chinese, etc., speakers in a Montana city to run the Language and Translation Services of a WOGs? Who's going to Secure the city and the venues?? :blink: :blink:

What an utterly stupid idea this is. And there aren't one but TWO village idiots here.

Oh and that makes Reno the logical choice?

A Bozeman games is an opportunity to have a small town style Olympics.

As for housing the expected 1000's of support staff etc, you can use in part the existing student housing at Montana State University or logically build a legacy "support village". Sochi is building one. Such support staff would naturally come from all over the State of Montana and elsewhere in the US in the form of Volunteers, contract workers, private security firms and if need be you can offer the National Guard or Military to assist in security for the games.

And how about all them students from MSU forced to take a month long break for the games, surely they (some several 1000 from the population of 14,000) could serve in the games in some form.

How did Lillehammer do it? Or Nagano? Annecy 2018 was in a similar boat. Surely the first 2 would have had support staff coming in from all over the country. Just because you are a "small" city, doesn't mean you can't host or potentially do so, especially if it's somewhere that's more enticing than RENO-NO-NO! :P

Uh-huh. The USOC letter which went out to the would-be 2024 summer cities stated that "a work force of 200,000 people is necessary" (from a base metro population of 2.5 million) OK, that is for a Summer Games. The WOGs are supposedly a third in size of the SOGs; so around 65,000 people would at least be considered to staff a WOGs. And 50-65,000 people would be culled from at least a base metro population of 500,000...maybe within a 50-mile radius of the anchor city and slopes -- and still have the area run with added staff due to the crush.

And staff Bozeman has a metro population of 89,000. So police, nurses, doctors, lawyers, hotel and restaurant workers, emergency people would all have to quit their jobs so that they could staff a WOGs of people who live locally. Uhmmm....who's going to run the city? Where will you get extra workers? Where will you get accomplished French, Slavic, Japanese, Chinese, etc., speakers in a Montana city to run the Language and Translation Services of a WOGs? Who's going to Secure the city and the venues?? :blink: :blink:

What an utterly stupid idea this is. And there aren't one but TWO village idiots here.

If you use London 2012 as an example 'game makers' can from far beyond the local area and in some cases from overseas with people travelling from Australia to be game makers. This is a real case of what really happened. And all was done without culling the local workforce.

A local university with languages departments, a nation of immigrants (compared to the UK) will have far more people who speak more than one language. There is a second large university within 200 miles. I mean the town with the local airport is called Belgrade, after its namesake.

Only an idiot would try to compare summer with winter games probably they are too lazy and ignorant to look up evidence to support their outlandish claims.

If you use London 2012 as an example 'game makers' can from far beyond the local area and in some cases from overseas with people travelling from Australia to be game makers. This is a real case of what really happened. And all was done without culling the local workforce.

A local university with languages departments, a nation of immigrants (compared to the UK) will have far more people who speak more than one language. There is a second large university within 200 miles. I mean the town with the local airport is called Belgrade, after its namesake.

Only an idiot would try to compare summer with winter games probably they are too lazy and ignorant to look up evidence to support their outlandish claims.

I agree. Bozeman although small, has potential. A games could revitalize the region by providing jobs and so forth.

I agree. Bozeman although small, has potential. A games could revitalize the region by providing jobs and so forth.

Any Olympics wherever held always has the power to massively motivate individuals beyond the immediate surrounding area who will travel hundreds if not thousands of miles simply to be part of the event.

Of greater concern might be holding the games at a location where the local economy is not diversified but dominated by a particular industry sector who might wish to take advantage of the 'free advertising' whether officially sanctioned or not and undermine the Olympic ideal in the process.

Most economies have a number of public sector workers due to the labour intensive role but then the leading employers from the private sector are heavily diversified and this is true of Denver, SLC, Anchorage and Bozeman - the 5 largest private sector employers in Reno are all from the gambling/betting sector

Montana State University. One of the most important if not THE important College in the state of Montana.

The fact that this could be the basis of an Olympic Village, Support Village, Anti-Doping center and has an existing arena and stadium is one of the key reasons why Bozeman has potential.

Wow, the largest college in the 44th largest state (out of 50th, for those counting) in the United States! What a great selling point that is!! And I'd say that the University of Montana (which is larger than MSU) might also be able to lay claim to being the most important university in the state. So yea, I wouldn't call that a strong argument. In fact I'd call that a pretty crappy argument.

A Bozeman games is an opportunity to have a small town style Olympics.

As for housing the expected 1000's of support staff etc, you can use in part the existing student housing at Montana State University or logically build a legacy "support village". Sochi is building one. Such support staff would naturally come from all over the State of Montana and elsewhere in the US in the form of Volunteers, contract workers, private security firms and if need be you can offer the National Guard or Military to assist in security for the games.

And how about all them students from MSU forced to take a month long break for the games, surely they (some several 1000 from the population of 14,000) could serve in the games in some form.

How did Lillehammer do it? Or Nagano? Annecy 2018 was in a similar boat. Surely the first 2 would have had support staff coming in from all over the country. Just because you are a "small" city, doesn't mean you can't host or potentially do so, especially if it's somewhere that's more enticing than RENO-NO-NO! :P

Once again, I feel obligated to ask because I don't think you seem to know.. do you understand that this is a competition? And that Bozeman would have to compete with other cities from around the world (and that's even if the USOC puts them forward) in order to get that opportunity in the first place?

Montana State University is (based on the name).. a university. Pretty sure they're not going to want to shut down for a month. If the school takes a break for a month, they're not going to stay on campus with little to do. And I'm laughing a little bit that you're comparing anything to Sochi, less you think Bozeman, Montana has billions of dollars to spend.

How did Lillehammer do it? They're a short train ride from Oslo. Nagano? Bullet train from Tokyo. Just because you are a small city means, NO you CANNOT successfully host an event on the scale of the Olympic games, especially if you're not all that close to a larger population base. Reno is close to the Bay Area and the surrounding cities. What is even remotely accessible from Bozeman?

I mean seriously, do you actually read these things? They have to beat out the competition in order to get an Olympics in the first place. What region do you think the IOC would like to revitalize.. a large internationally known city like Munich or a small town that most Americans know absolutely nothing about.

Any Olympics wherever held always has the power to massively motivate individuals beyond the immediate surrounding area who will travel hundreds if not thousands of miles simply to be part of the event.

Of greater concern might be holding the games at a location where the local economy is not diversified but dominated by a particular industry sector who might wish to take advantage of the 'free advertising' whether officially sanctioned or not and undermine the Olympic ideal in the process.

Most economies have a number of public sector workers due to the labour intensive role but then the leading employers from the private sector are heavily diversified and this is true of Denver, SLC, Anchorage and Bozeman - the 5 largest private sector employers in Reno are all from the gambling/betting sector

Yes, and how many people live within a few hundred miles of Bozeman? Salt Lake City is 400 miles away. Denver is 700 miles away. Heck, let's bring them down from Calgary since that's only 500 miles away.

I am literally laughing out loud right now that you're grouping Bozeman's workforce into a group with Denver, Salt Lake, and Anchorage, but then throwing out Reno on its own. You guys are making such piss-poor arguments for Bozeman as an Olympic host that I'm starting to thinking you guys should both move there to lead the effort for them. I'll say it again.. in a head-to-head contest between Bozeman and Reno, Reno will win that one every time out and it won't even be close.

I think we've uncovered the advance team of not very bright undocumented aliens...wink-wink...not the flesh-and-blood kind...who have found the perfect town to establish their base in.

Earth to Remulac...Have found perfect town to make beachhead. Faux Winter Olympics perfect cover to bring in our troops. Dim-witted Montanans won't know diff between neighbors and us. Make ready. Copy and out!!

It's really the only logical explanation, Quaker.

Wow, the largest college in the 44th largest state (out of 50th, for those counting) in the United States! What a great selling point that is!! And I'd say that the University of Montana (which is larger than MSU) might also be able to lay claim to being the most important university in the state. So yea, I wouldn't call that a strong argument. In fact I'd call that a pretty crappy argument.

Once again, I feel obligated to ask because I don't think you seem to know.. do you understand that this is a competition? And that Bozeman would have to compete with other cities from around the world (and that's even if the USOC puts them forward) in order to get that opportunity in the first place?

Montana State University is (based on the name).. a university. Pretty sure they're not going to want to shut down for a month. If the school takes a break for a month, they're not going to stay on campus with little to do. And I'm laughing a little bit that you're comparing anything to Sochi, less you think Bozeman, Montana has billions of dollars to spend.

How did Lillehammer do it? They're a short train ride from Oslo. Nagano? Bullet train from Tokyo. Just because you are a small city means, NO you CANNOT successfully host an event on the scale of the Olympic games, especially if you're not all that close to a larger population base. Reno is close to the Bay Area and the surrounding cities. What is even remotely accessible from Bozeman?

I mean seriously, do you actually read these things? They have to beat out the competition in order to get an Olympics in the first place. What region do you think the IOC would like to revitalize.. a large internationally known city like Munich or a small town that most Americans know absolutely nothing about.

Yes, and how many people live within a few hundred miles of Bozeman? Salt Lake City is 400 miles away. Denver is 700 miles away. Heck, let's bring them down from Calgary since that's only 500 miles away.

I am literally laughing out loud right now that you're grouping Bozeman's workforce into a group with Denver, Salt Lake, and Anchorage, but then throwing out Reno on its own. You guys are making such piss-poor arguments for Bozeman as an Olympic host that I'm starting to thinking you guys should both move there to lead the effort for them. I'll say it again.. in a head-to-head contest between Bozeman and Reno, Reno will win that one every time out and it won't even be close.

I'll try not to use big words as you clearly struggle with them

The idea that Baron suggested that volunteers would only possible come from the local area is clearly demonstrated as being entire false, proven by previous games where volunteers came from across the entire region/country/continent

Nobody said that this would not be the same with Reno-No and it has never been portrayed as not also possibly occurring in Reno. Baron has simply put forward a fictional and completely false lazy argument

What advocates of Reno-No have failed to explain is how the local corporate sector representing the complete antithesis of the Olympic Movement which would terrify the IOC with the image of a Winter Atlanta is how the USA could possibly overcome this stench?

If the IOC visited Reno and then visited Bozeman (obviously not likely as there'd be a single US contender) the ugliness of the former would drop it below any other contender .... in my opinion

Clearly not in normal earth syntax. Rosetta Stone does not recognize runes. Any earthlings left out there?? Translate please.

Mayday...Mayday!! SOS!! SOS!!

What ... are you deliberately trying to ruin every article simply because people disagree with you???

I'll try not to use big words as you clearly struggle with them

The idea that Baron suggested that volunteers would only possible come from the local area is clearly demonstrated as being entire false, proven by previous games where volunteers came from across the entire region/country/continent

Nobody said that this would not be the same with Reno-No and it has never been portrayed as not also possibly occurring in Reno. Baron has simply put forward a fictional and completely false lazy argument

What advocates of Reno-No have failed to explain is how the local corporate sector representing the complete antithesis of the Olympic Movement which would terrify the IOC with the image of a Winter Atlanta is how the USA could possibly overcome this stench?

If the IOC visited Reno and then visited Bozeman (obviously not likely as there'd be a single US contender) the ugliness of the former would drop it below any other contender .... in my opinion

Which games would that be.. the 2012 London SUMMER Games that you mentioned? I could see how people from around the world would be drawn to a major world city like London and want to be a part of their Olympic efforts. Do you really think a remote outpost like Bozeman is going to attract volunteers from all around the world? At least with Reno, you have the advantage of being only a few hours away from 1 of the largest and most cosmopolitan cities in the United States to work off of. With Bozeman, you talk about a 2nd large university within 200 miles. 200 miles from Reno is a CITY. And a big one at that. Not to mention that you have 2 states involved that, economic hardships aside, would provide much stronger support than an Olympics in the middle of Montana.

As for the antithesis of the Olympic movement.. yea, sports and gambling. Those 2 things don't go together at all. And that you compare it to Atlanta.. I didn't realize that's why the IOC didn't like it, because of the betting. How could I have missed that! I do agree to a certain extent that the IOC would have reservations about bringing an Olympics into an environment where gaming is that pervasive. I agree that works against Reno. But still, this nothing that Reno is too ugly for an Olympics remains utterly ridiculous. It's the technical details that will sink them IMO. But they're still well ahead of Bozeman in that regard who, even if they had the more beautiful and picturesque landscape to offer, is still too small to compete against the bigger towns/cities and regions they'd likely be up against on the world stage. Plus, if you take Reno and Bozeman out of the picture and just made this Lake Tahoe vs. Big Sky, who would win that battle? This is the Winter Olympics we're talking about here. A few thousand athletes, probably ten thousand media members, and hundreds of thousands of spectators. Reno/Tahoe would have trouble handling that. Bozeman has no shot whatsoever unless they were sitting on a pile of money like Sochi. And even then, the USOC would probably be able to find a better place to put the Olympics if they had that much cash to spend.

Anyhow, let's try and get back to topic.

Anchorage > Bozeman which of course is > Reno.

An Anchorage games would be far more viable than Bozeman or Reno of course. Perhaps doing that multifunction venue from their 1994 bid could work.

Where 2020 - 2022 and 2024 end up...will obviously impact the 2026 race too.

Anyhow, let's try and get back to topic.

Anchorage > Bozeman which of course is > Reno.

An Anchorage games would be far more viable than Bozeman or Reno of course. Perhaps doing that multifunction venue from their 1994 bid could work.

BALONEY!! No one's going to Uncourage.

What amazes me is the false claim about the remoteness of Anchorage.

These are the destinations flown from Ted Stevens: International Airport to the rest of the USA:

Chicago, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Portland, Seattle, Denver, LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Salt Lake, San Francisco which is at least as good as another contender.

The Port of Anchorage can also host the larger cruise liners which like the proposed Tromso bid, can significantly aid accommodation issues,

Anyone would think we lived in the age when horse and carriage dominated transportation

Archived