A future French Winter Olympics

gromit

Bottom line is

IF the USA and Canada bid for the 2026 FIFA World Cup (Europe and Asia under current rules can't) then as per the IOC rules demonstrated with Istanbul/Euro2020, we might have back to back European Winter Olympics

Interesting point. I'd much rather see a World Cup in the US. Unfortunately there's no way to do that without having to deal with FIFA. Ugh.

If France wants to host more Winter Games, fine. I think they're much more likely to pursue Summer Games instead.

When it comes to Winter Games, the options are limited. I think it's totally possible that we won't see more than three bidders for Winter Games for quite a few cycles.

The hosts will not be determined by the medal count. A country just has to demonstrate enough of a tradition in winter sports to be trusted with organizing the event. It's totally possible for the French to host again, if they want to.

Andorra? lol no chance whatsoever.

Yes, but their next eventual bid MUST propose something at the very least somewhat credible. The stuff I pointed out goes towards that. They won't make the Candidacy, but like all bidding cities, they MUST offer what they think is a credible bid.

Finland won 5 medals in 2010. Czech Republic won 6. It doesn't matter what history says. At the moment they are not strong winter sports nations. They are excellent at cross country, speed skating and hockey. But they are not well-rounded, strong Olympic sports nations like Russia, USA, Germany, Norway, Canada, etc.

It's like playing football in the park when the other kid keeps moving the jumpers. Between the awarding and hosting of the games is a full seven years and a country awarded a games which has a winter sports tradition will renew investment in developing a home team - like Canada for 2010.

So of course it matters what history says. You stated they are not strong winter sports nations. Considering the length of time involved, of course they are.

Is Finland even able to host?

Helsinki bid for 2006 with venues in Helsinki, Lahti and Lillerhammer (Norway)

The only Alpine Skiing event to be held in Finland would have been Freestyle Skiing in Lahti's ski resort. The rest of the alpine events and the sliding track would have been in Lillehammer.

I'll do you one better. Conveniently forgetting that Melbourne forced a co-hosting w/ Stockholm HALF A WORLD AWAY?? :rolleyes:

It was necessity, at the time in 1956 where Australian quarantine regulations were so strict, that Equestrian events could not be held.

We assured that Equestrian events would be held at the 1996 Olympics despite our still strict quarantine laws and they were of course held in Sydney 2000.

Helsinki-Lillehammer 2006 was probably the most ridiculous Olympic bid ever made, even more than the current Poland-Slovakia idea.

It would be like Melbourne bidding for the Winter Olympics and using venues in Queenstown, NZ.

Exactly.

Irrespective of strength of the nations it boils down to two things.

1) Can they physically host the games?

2) Do they want to?

For all the noises about Munich there has been no confirmation they are serious about 2022. As for Oslo the choice of using Kvitfjell rather than Norefjell could be the death nail for the bid.

At least the Mayor of Nice has expressed strong support for Nice hosting the games.

Archived