Lausanne 2020

I'm surprised no-one's posted this:

Lausanne to study bidding for 2020 Winter Youth Olympics

May 27 - Lausanne, the "Olympic Capital" has launched a feasibility study to host the Winter Youth Olympic Games in 2020, it was announced here today.

The news will be a welcome relief to the International Olympic Committee (IOC), who are based in the Swiss city.

They have struggled to generate interest among cities interested in bidding for the Winter Youth Olympics and Norwegian city Lillehammer were the only bidders for the 2016 Games.

The way for Lausanne to potentially put themselves forward has been made easier by the fact that a proposed bid from St Moritz and Davos for the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics had to be scrapped in March after a state referendum rejected the idea.

"We think that there is a perfect fit between Lausanne and the Youth Olympic Games concept", said Marc Vuilleumier, Lausanne's Municipal Councilor in charge of sports.

"Our city has been the close witness of the development of the Olympic values for 100 years.

"We believe that promoting these values to sporting youth of the world directly in the heart of the Olympic Movement is a very strong idea.

"We would be a proud partner to the IOC in realising this dream."

The plan is to host all the sports in a compact three cluster concept, with alpine skiing disciplines in the Alps and Nordic skiing in the Jura region, all within the boundaries of the State of Vaud, of which Lausanne is the capital.

Lausanne, which also houses the headquarters of 60 other international federations, would be the home of all ice sports, the Olympic Village and the cultural and education programme.

"Back in the summer of 1915, Baron Pierre de Coubertin chose our city to be the home of the modern Olympics," said Lausanne Mayor Daniel Brélaz,

"Exactly 100 years later, in the exact same place, the IOC will make the decision on the host of the third Winter Youth Olympic Games.

"If our city was to go that far, we believe that it would be a great way for us to give something back to the Olympic Movement which has given us so much over the last century."

St Moritz hosted the second Winter Olympics in 1924 but since then Switzerland has bid unsuccessfully six times.

The Winter Youth Olympics, which were hosted in Innsbruck for the first time last year with 1,059 athletes from 70 countries, are seen as a more realistic prospect and which will not face the public opposition other bids from Switzerland have encountered.

Bern was forced to drop its bid for the 2010 Winter Olympics following a referendum.

"It would be great project for our State, for the entire region and for Switzerland," said Pascal Broulis, State Councilor in charge of finance.

"We will use all our energy to promote this bid, because this is a smart event of reasonable size, but which also enjoys positive recognition worldwide."

insidethegames

So it looks like the Swiss are setting their sights low now.

Well, seeing as the Swiss can't get their act together where Winter Games are concerned, I guess this is the best they can do. It really is a shame. I'm sure they would stage fine YOGs, but I'd much prefer to see Olympic Winter Games in Switzerland.

Are they capable of hosting the big deal in Lausanne? I know they have an existing arena, a 50,000 sqm+ convention center, the world's smallest city with a subway and other minor facilities, but are they able to pull it off?

A speed skating oval, curling venue, ski jumps, biathlon course and sliding track could serve a legacy winter sports center in Lausanne (they have many venues for the Summer ones already). The other necessary arenas can be done via a mix of legacy venues and temporary ones or even using Geneva, which would serve additional hotels and the international gateway.

...can it be done?

Are they capable of hosting the big deal in Lausanne? I know they have an existing arena, a 50,000 sqm+ convention center, the world's smallest city with a subway and other minor facilities, but are they able to pull it off?

A speed skating oval, curling venue, ski jumps, biathlon course and sliding track could serve a legacy winter sports center in Lausanne (they have many venues for the Summer ones already). The other necessary arenas can be done via a mix of legacy venues and temporary ones or even using Geneva, which would serve additional hotels and the international gateway.

...can it be done?

Probably - but like most cities, putting together a venue plan is the easy part. It's the politics that make it hard to see happen.

For the 2006 bid a temporary sliding solution was suggested for Sion.

I can imagine that the French speaking part of Switzerland - the home of bobsleigh - would find usage with an artificial run (St Moritz is natural) ... and I'd imagine the French speaking part would also like a ski jump too

For the 2006 bid a temporary sliding solution was suggested for Sion.

I can imagine that the French speaking part of Switzerland - the home of bobsleigh - would find usage with an artificial run (St Moritz is natural) ... and I'd imagine the French speaking part would also like a ski jump too

You don't know the Swiss...

They will not think about their region and their language... but what is best for their country and what it will cost them...

Not sure they think it will be a great idea to built a bob track...

And by te way this is against the IOC policy for the WYOG where beside the Olympic Village, no permanent construction should be realized !

• 1 month later...

I find it kind of depressing that a country like Switzerland with its natural features, sporting heritage and infrastructure can't get its act together to go for the real thing. I get the situation with having to hold a cantonal referendum but it seems such a waste.

I find it kind of depressing that a country like Switzerland with its natural features, sporting heritage and infrastructure can't get its act together to go for the real thing. I get the situation with having to hold a cantonal referendum but it seems such a waste.

Lausanne would've made a great location for a bid - in the middle of a bid spanning the shores of Lake Geneva from Geneva to Aigle

• 3 weeks later...

Lausanne would've made a great location for a bid - in the middle of a bid spanning the shores of Lake Geneva from Geneva to Aigle

But it's Switzerland where Tree huggers rule the place now an we know what the people is like with big projects always vote things own so if Lake Placid USA Bid for 2020 and if the people vote down a bid could be Lake Placid the only bidder.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brasov (Romania) and Lausanne (Switzerland)* both submitted their applications to host the 3rd edition of the Winter YOG to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) by the 28 November deadline.

IOC President Thomas Bach said: “We are delighted that Brasov and Lausanne are in the running for 2020 and want to bring the spirit of the Youth Olympic Games to their cities. Both candidates have signalled their strong interest in hosting the YOG, and we look forward to receiving each bid’s vision on how these Games can best reach young people and benefit their communities in a sustainable way. It promises to be a close race all the way to the election in 2015.”

The first edition of the Winter YOG was held in Innsbruck in 2012, with the second edition scheduled to take place in Lillehammer in 2016. Innsbruck hosted the 1964 and 1976 Olympic Winter Games, while Lillehammer held the 1994 Olympic Winter Games.

Approximately 1,000 athletes take part in the Winter YOG, which last a maximum of 10 days and are held at a time of year that best suits the sporting calendar and climate of the host region. YOG hosts are encouraged, wherever possible, to use existing venues to stage the Games.

The next deadline in the 2020 bid process is 12 December 2013, the date when Brasov and Lausanne must submit the signed 2020 YOG Candidature Procedure.

* The cities are listed in alphabetical order.

Timeline – 3rd Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020 Bid Process

-
Signature of the 2020 YOG Candidature Procedure: 12 December 2013

- Submission of the YOG Candidature File and other documents: 17 June 2014

- Shortlist of YOG Candidate Cities by the IOC Executive Board: 2-3 December 2014

- Report by the IOC Evaluation Commission: April-May 2015

- Election of the Host City of the 3rd Winter Youth Olympic Games in 2020: July/August 2015

IOC

• 3 weeks later...

I support Lausanne but good luck to both I am sure it will be a good race to hosting rights of 2020 Winter Youth Olympics. My reasons for supporting Lausanne is because the natural landscape is brilliant setting for winter sporting events and also with it's Olympic Movement History of being the base of many Sporting Federations, I think a Competition would be good for Lausanne and Switzerland but nonetheless good luck to both Brasov, Romania and Lausanne, Switzerland from London, England.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

France set to host events if Lausanne 2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games bid successful

Ski jumping and biathlon will be held in France if Lausanne is awarded the 2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games, it has been revealed.

Denis Pittet, secretary general of Lausanne 2020, claimed the move was necessary to satisfy the Youth Olympic Games requirement to use existing infrastructure.

Lausanne is competing against Brașov for the right to host the Games after the two cities were formally accepted as candidates during the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board meeting in December.

It is also proposed that the cross-country skiing training venue, the "Chaux-Neuve" in the Franche-Comté region, will be located across the border, which "could prove challenging from an operational perspective", according to the first report of the IOC's Evaluation Commission on the third Winter Youth Olympic Games. .

The Les Tuffes Nordic Centre in Jura, a department of East France, has been selected as the host venue for the ski jumping events.

The IOC endorsed the idea of sharing future Olympic events between cities and countries, through its recent Agenda 2020 reform process, and Pittet claims it will be interesting for the organisation to see how Switzerland and France collaborate.

"With two countries it's obviously more complicated so the question is, who is taking the decisions?" he told insidethegames.

"There were three possible solutions on the French territory - the French decide, the Swiss decide or both decide - and we have decided that both decide because it's a joint collaboration.

"The idea is to say that France has very beautiful infrastructure for the ski jumping events and biathlon.

"Switzerland will say, you know your infrastructure, you know how to run an event so we'll leave you with all the operational decisions."

Swiss freestyle skier Virginie Faivre, who successfully defended her world halfpipe championship title in Kreischberg, Austria last month, is in charge of the cultural and educational aspects of the bid and ensuring that the Lausanne 2020 proposals appeal to young aspiring athletes.

The 32-year-old, who was born in Lausanne and grew up there, said the inspiration she took from the Olympic Museum and Library as a youngster helped her in her career and she is hopeful that the Winter Youth Olympic Games athletes can benefit in the same way.

"We want to show them what the history is of their sport, the International Olympic Committee and the whole root of the Olympic Movement," Faivre told insidethegames.

"Every time I go to the Museum I get the shivers and that's something we really want to share."

Faivre, who competed at her first Olympic Games in Sochi last year, said she wished there was an equivalent event to the Youth Olympcs when she was coming through the ranks.

"If I can help to give that to the kids of our country, that's all I want," she added.

A decision on who will host the 2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games is expected to be made during the IOC Session in Kuala Lumpur on July 31.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/youth-olympics/1025209-france-set-to-host-events-if-lausanne-2020-winter-youth-olympic-games-bid-successful

• 4 months later...

IOC Evaluation Commission report released for YOG 2020 candidate cities

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today released the report by the Evaluation Commission for the Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020 (YOG). This is the first YOG report following the approval of Olympic Agenda 2020, the strategic roadmap for the future of the Olympic Movement, and it highlights not only the opportunities and challenges of both projects, but also how Olympic Agenda 2020 recommendations have been reflected in the candidature files.

AdobeIcon.gif Read the report of the Evaluation Commission for the Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Brasov’s vision is to increase Romania’s visibility around the world, improve its capacity to organise large-scale events and develop its winter sports. Brasov also seeks to educate young people in the Olympic spirit and increase awareness of the need for sustainable development.

Lausanne’s vision is to create a laboratory for innovation and ideas produced by and for young people, while contributing to the development of the Olympic Movement for future generations.

The IOC Evaluation Commission, chaired by IOC Member Yang Yang, first met in October 2014 to analyse the candidature files and guarantees. This was followed by a second meeting in March 2015 for further analysis and to assess answers to the Commission’s questions. During this meeting, the Commission held a video conference with each city, giving them the opportunity to present their Youth Olympic projects and allowing for further questions to be asked.

The host city for the 3rd Winter YOG in 2020 shall be elected at the 128th IOC session in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on 31 July 2015, following a final presentation by Brasov and Lausanne to the full IOC membership.

IOC

http://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-evaluation-commission-report-released-for-yog-2020-candidate-cities/246437

Archived