Sign in to follow this  
sportsjapan

Flawed strategy, mistakes jeopardizing Tokyo’s bid to host 2020 Olympics

I dread the moment to see the Spaniards' faces on September 7 when Madrid is the first one dropped. Told ya so!!

Probably much like the Annecy 2018 delegation's faces, I'm sure.

^^ I think even themselves are aware they have no chances. And i'm not sure for how much time spaniards will keep supporting that farce of a bid if they lose again.

*stares at Istanbul* oh wait.

^^ I think even themselves are aware they have no chances. And i'm not sure for how much time spaniards will keep supporting that farce of a bid if they lose again.

*stares at Istanbul* oh wait.

Madrid's timing is poor. And of the 3, Spain and Japan have already hosted an Olympics; with Japan 3x. And if the IOC awards it to Istanbul, that should shut Doha and Baku up for at least the next few rounds.

^^ Don't be surprised they're actually planing to give it to Istanbul so Doha will stop with their shenanigans, thinking that IOC = FIFA.

^^ Don't be surprised they're actually planing to give it to Istanbul so Doha will stop with their shenanigans, thinking that IOC = FIFA.

But Qatar wasn't really at fault in the FIFA fiasco. It was idiotic FIFA for opening the door; not Qatar's fault.

But Qatar wasn't really at fault in the FIFA fiasco. It was idiotic FIFA for opening the door; not Qatar's fault.

Qatar greased the palms though.

Qatar greased the palms though.

U do know they have palm trees in the Gulf??? B) But seriously, if no one accepted; then there would have been no transaction. When I watched the presentations though, I was blown away by the emotional appeal of the Qatari presentation. If I was on the FIFA Board, I might've voted for them...based on the persuasion of their video and heartfelt appeal of the entire bid. So, it's NOT really Qatar's fault. Those 14 FIFA Board members are equally guilty...for whoever many actually partook of the bribe.

U do know they have palm trees in the Gulf??? B) But seriously, if no one accepted; then there would have been no transaction. When I watched the presentations though, I was blown away by the emotional appeal of the Qatari presentation. If I was on the FIFA Board, I might've voted for them...based on the persuasion of their video and heartfelt appeal of the entire bid. So, it's NOT really Qatar's fault. Those 14 FIFA Board members are equally guilty...for whoever many actually partook of the bribe.

So what? It takes two to tango. With no bribe, FIFA wouldn't have had the option of taking one. Everybody is corrupt here. The Qataris clearly are not guiltless. They were the impetus behind the corruption and were totally complicit in its execution.

To be fair, the 'bribes' are mere hearsay and allegations at this point. Nothing concrete has come out it. Until such a time as that comes out, I am giving the Qataris the benefit of the doubt.

To be fair, the 'bribes' are mere hearsay and allegations at this point. Nothing concrete has come out it. Until such a time as that comes out, I am giving the Qataris the benefit of the doubt.

SERIOUSLY??!!

Obviously nothing can be proved to a legal standard, but how else do you explain the results of the vote? FIFA was genuinely won over by the idea of air conditioning an entire country known for summer heat that can approach life-threatening levels, despite the fact that the country is tiny and has no real football pedigree or following?

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say FIFA are the ones to blame. It was their structures and personnel which created the mess we're now seeing with 2022. That's where the heat (no pun intended) needs to be. Just as it was on the IOC more than on Salt Lake. FIFA have created a culture which bids are expected to - wink, wink - understand.

But you're right, everything we know about FIFA - about what Warner was asking of bidders (donations for "academies" etc.), about Leoz's ego asking for the FA Cup to be renamed, about ExCo members caught red handed taking bribes by the Sunday Times before being suspended - imply Qatar almost certainly didn't win their bid cleanly.

We certainly know Qatar and Spain had a little arrangement going on. That was well reported.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Madrid make the second round.

It wouldn't surprise me either - if nothing else, the various Madrid bid teams have shown they're pretty good at playing the first and second preference votes game.

Meaning Tokyo would be out first. Well, that would be dramatic. Particularly after Rogge cajoled them into bidding in the first place.

Meaning Tokyo would be out first. Well, that would be dramatic. Particularly after Rogge cajoled them into bidding in the first place.

Like Chicago.

Its this type of "yes man" diplomacy from Rogge that I'll be happy to see the back of. I get that he is a salesman of sorts for the IOC whenever he travels, but a little common sense would be nice. Ultimately he probably only coerced Japan into bidding for 2020 to cover all bases if the other candidates went astray - back then Istanbul wasn't as strong a candidate as it is today.

As much as I am an Istanbul supporter, I think Tokyo (and Japan) would have every right to feel jilted of they go out third in the 2020 race. Third belongs to Madrid in this race, anything more for them would be a farce.

Edited by runningrings

Its this type of "yes man" diplomacy from Rogge that I'll be happy to see the back of. I get that he is a salesman of sorts for the IOC whenever he travels, but a little common sense would be nice.

Absolutely!

I agree. There's just so many more hurdles for Madrid to overcome this time around, that it would be totally surprising & dramatic if they managed a second-place finish again. At least the last two times, their bid was more solid & had less baggage to deal with. This time around, they're asking the IOC to, more-or-less, tighten their belt. Their narrative is bascially a "thift-style" Olympics bcuz of their sluggish economy & need the Games bcuz of it. While at the same time, finger-pointing at the IOC that's what they should focus on anyway to keep costs in check.

Not to mention the Spanish-court's controversial decision on Operation Puerto. And all of the above is even before all the normal geopolitics are taken into account. If Tokyo were, in the unlikely event, be the first one out, then IOC politics truly undermine bids that otherwise would actually have a good chance at winning. And IDK if the IOC wants to take that route again especially after the 2016 vote.

Its this type of "yes man" diplomacy from Rogge that I'll be happy to see the back of. I get that he is a salesman of sorts for the IOC whenever he travels, but a little common sense would be nice. Ultimately he probably only coerced Japan into bidding for 2020 to cover all bases if the other candidates went astray - back then Istanbul wasn't as strong a candidate as it is today.

As much as I am an Istanbul supporter, I think Tokyo (and Japan) would have every right to feel jilted of they go out third in the 2020 race. Third belongs to Madrid in this race, anything more for them would be a farce.

I agree. Although, I'd say that Madrid was the back-up plan if Tokyo & Istanbul stummbled. And agreed. Istanbul seems to be gaining strength & momentum that Rio did, when the Brazilians, at first, didn't seem to be taken very seriously. And yes, Madrid getting more than third, this time around, would be a total sham.

I think the 'moderate/secular muslim nation' card might win the day for Istanbul and this would accomplish two other things:

1. show the world that the IOC is a wiser, more credible organization than FIFA and would not make such an idiotic choice as picking a middle eastern city for a summer event; and

2. subtly shut Doha and Baku up for the next few rounds.

Tokyo will not be able to accomplish that. Only that Tokyo is a better technical bid...but they've already been there 60 years ago and 2 winters since. (That's what Istanbul should play on if they really want to win this one.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

If Istanbul wins 2020 it will be Turkey's coming out party. It will be the starting point of Turkey's emergence as a world power.

If Istanbul can't win this race, I don't know when they ever will.

My thoughts too. Its a now or never situation for Istanbul. They have never been closer. This is it. No matter how much Tokyo tempts the IOC that "This is our last offer" - I think the opportunity for Istanbul is irresistible.

tokyos 2nd attend, istanbuls 5th... tokyo can wait for another 3 times more :P

These things aren't exactly linear, ya know. If that was the case, then Paris should've got 2012 over London since the Parisians had waited much longer & still are. Plus, even though this is Istanbul's 5th attempt, it's only the 3rd time that the city actually makes it to the voting table, & not consecutively either.