Flawed strategy, mistakes jeopardizing Tokyo’s bid to host 2020 Olympics

That sounds like a pretty good summary of what been noticeable lately. They just seem adrift. And this article's just the sort of thing to add to their woes. It really gives it to them rough, though it rings true to me.

Edited by Sir Rols

Hmmm... That sure doesn't sound good. Especially these paragraphs ring my alert bells:

I communicate with a lot of people in the sports media business and don’t know of many who think Tokyo is going to prevail.

In fact, I would not be at all surprised if Istanbul clinches victory on the first ballot.

Even if he didn't talk to IOC members apparently - but that "indifference" to Tokyo's bid could be a vibe within the IOC, too.

And then another Pyeongchang/Munich race might happen: The more experienced bid city clenches a huge first ballot victory in a race that was originally considered neck-and-neck or at least fairly open. It's Istanbul's to lose, I reckon.

IDK if I would classify Istanbul as the "more experience bid city". While this is their 5th attempt, it's only the 3rd time that the Bosphorous city has made it to the IOC ballot, & they skipped 2016 altogether. I would say that Madrid & Tokyo fall more in-line with PyeongChang's consecutive experience & tenacity (it's certainly what Madrid 2020 is banking on). Istanbul, to me, just seems like they're relying more on the sentiment card than anything else.

While this journalists may have a lot of points that are on the mark, a couple of them though seemed to be flawed. For one, I don't think that the IOC members are as altruistic as he makes them out to be. As he even says they're 99 "individuals", & they're still looking out for their own special interest, whatever they may be, & maybe ultimately what's good for the Olympic Movement. But they certainly don't solely vote what's in the best interest of the bid cities themselves. That just happens to be a tangible effect.

The most interesting part of the ariticle that I found, however, is the not even a peep about Madrid. I think that other news story about Tokyo's faux-paux earlier this month also didn't mention Madrid, either. It seems clear that many don't even see Madrid on the radar, despite some others mentioning JAS JR & the assumed influence that he may have. This vote in September may be interesting afterall, & I'd still say that it's gonna require both rounds to determine the winner.

The thing that strikes me is that this is in the Japan Times, probably one of the major Japanese sources that a lot of IOC members will read. On top of what they've already been dealing with in the past month or so, the article itself is sure not good for the bid.

Must say, it's got me looking at the betting odds. I can get $2.75 for Istanbul at the moment. Not as high odds as I got for Rio ($4.50), but enough to make a bet on them worthwhile now IMO.

That journalist basically committed treason.

It's free speech and he's speaking the truth. Obviously he hopes for change in Japan and sees this Olympic bid as an opportunity to help motivate progress. He's not out to destroy Japan. It sounded like the opposite to me.

Plus, I believe treason must involve matters of national security, which this clearly does not.

Plus, I believe treason must involve matters of national security, which this clearly does not.

Of course. But like Rols said, this is a high profile newspaper and if any IOC members read it and it hurts the bid, this journalist did a disservice to his country.

Of course. But like Rols said, this is a high profile newspaper and if any IOC members read it and it hurts the bid, this journalist did a disservice to his country.

Again - he is entitled to do this, so why not? Both of Toronto's previous Olympic bids have been marred by loud anti-Olympics campaigners, who are more than entitled to do this under Canadian law. Do you call that treason? How is this Tokyo article different?

My biggest grief with the Tokyo bid is highlighted well in this article. They should stop mentioning the 2011 disaster. No more. It is tacky. Interesting too how the writer mentions that Tokyo rose out of the ashes of war with the 1964 Games, hence why its not compelling for it to happen again... especially given that 2011 was nature, not war, as tragic and huge as it was.

I also think its an obviously hideous example of capitalising on tragedy, given that they were bidding for the 2020 Games before the disaster.... so to treat it at as their "get out of jail free" wild card is repulsive, and I think some IOC members will smell a rat in this regard. Same goes for Madrid, and their breathless acknowledgment of their economy "needing" 2020.

I think he has articulated very well the perception of Tokyo's bid. I think the best move for Tokyo is to not try and attempt to fabricate any kind of compelling social argument in the vein of Istanbul. I think their best bet is to maintain the path that they are the experienced, financially capable 'reliable' option. Even though I think Istanbul is capable, and experienced, Tokyo has an air of familiarity about it. It is this familiarity, in these times, that might be of comfort to IOC members after Rio. This is how Tokyo must present itself against the weight of history that is the Istanbul 2020 bid.

The last time the IOC had such a small field of candidates for the Olympics was the 1980's. This is the time when Los Angeles came out again as the reliable, former host, and staged a sound, second Olympics. This is how Tokyo should position itself - the LA84 of the times. The only difference here is that the IOC has more than one option.

Edited by runningrings
  • Like 1

Well, since there is more than one option this time around (which really there's only two. Since lets face it, even the Worlds media dismisses Madrid), this is more akin to the 1988 summer race where Nagoya, Japan & Seoul were the only candidates. Of course the IOC chose the newer, more & up & coming nation of South Korea over already recently visited Japan, which were bidding with a much smaller city anyway.

But this time we have the more glamourous, much bigger Japanese capital & more time has passed since their 1964 hosting. I think that's still gonna mean something to quite a few IOC members. But agreed, the Japanese needs to focus more that they're a reliable partner that the IOC already knows & that the Japanese can deliver the goods.

One thing that did bother me about the article, though, is how the writer talked about the Earthquake. How the Japanese are foolhardly to think that another earthquake couldn't happen in the summer of 2020 & they should stop focusing on that 'safe' aspect. Okay, fair enough. But an earthquake can just as easily happen in the summer of 2020 in Turkey, too. They're not immune to such natural disasters either. The bottom line: Both (excuse me, all three) candidates aren't without their issues.

I saw that comment on the seismic safety of Tokyo 2020 more in response to the Tokyo team painting Istanbul as unsafe for other reasons. I agree that it is irrelevant, and Istanbul is a seismic risk also, but it appeared to reveal more the hypocrisy of the Tokyo team. Yes, all the candidates have flaws.

Again - he is entitled to do this, so why not? Both of Toronto's previous Olympic bids have been marred by loud anti-Olympics campaigners, who are more than entitled to do this under Canadian law. Do you call that treason? How is this Tokyo article different?

I call it annoying <_<

I call it annoying <_<

Of course it is annoying, but it is a reality of liberal democratic life.

My own mother had a sticker that read: "No to Melbourne '96. Fund Victoria's schools and hospitals." I came across it on an office folder a few years back whilst moving - a pretty nostalgic thing to find 10 years after Sydney 2000. Should have kept onto it. :(

Edited by runningrings

No. He may have done a disservice to the BID. That's a different matter.

He is serving his country by trying to point out its blind spots and by recommending necessary reforms so that future bids can be more competitive. While this may hurt the 2020 bid, it would be beneficial to Japan in the long-term.

I wanna know what Madrid's odds are. It's quite obvious that they don't even register in the worlds media! lol

I'm surprised they haven't left the race yet. The very moment they made evident the turkish city was number one to beat in their objectives, It has become fairly obvious this is all about Tokyo vs Istanbul.

There is always the top two rivalry in any bid race. Rio vs. Chicago, London vs. Paris... the problem is that a threesome is always awkward. Just ask Annecy.

And look what place one of the top two finished in 2016....

And look what place one of the top two finished in 2016....

And? What's your point with this? Do you really think that Madrid can pull that off again? Geopolitics didn't favor Madrid for 2016 (especially after London 2012 & Barcelona 1992), & they certainly don't favor them now. Especially with their depressed economy & their "tighten your belt, IOC" bid, this time around. Madrid pulled off that 2nd place finish for 2016 bcuz of JAS & nothing more.