Eurovision Song Contest 2014

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh wow, Austria is winning. What a big, big surprise <_<

Seriously, if there was a record for the most predictable contest in the history of mankind, that would go to the ESC. No offense.

Shame on the spectators in Copenhagen for booing Russia.

This is a song contest not a geopolitics one :angry:

Sadly the ESC contest has to do a lot with geopolitics since a long time. And lets not forget the LGTB community is a big fan of this contest. Guess what Russia did last year which pissed them off.

UK: i was hoping for a left side of the score board. but not bottom is good for me. at least it's not france.

Oh wow, Austria is winning. What a big, big surprise <_<

Seriously, if there was a record for the most predictable contest in the history of mankind, that would go to the ESC. No offense.

it was clcose tie between armenia,sweden and the netherlands sure it was predictable <_<

UK: i was hoping for a left side of the score board. but not bottom is good for me. at least it's not france.

it was clcose tie between armenia,sweden and the netherlands sure it was predictable <_<

Armenia and The Netherlands were also in the top of the prediction polls. In fact I think they were also second to Austria in many of them.

Anyway...i'm glad that Spain improved on this edition, though. From that pathetic second to last place in 2013 to tenth place, the best result since 2003 and their song "Celebration".

*Dime

Is Conchita Wurst a bloke in drag or a woman wearing a beard? :huh:

Just askin' (I'm not really into the ESC these days)! B)

Continuing my tradition, I will sum up my thoughts and feelings on this years contest. So here goes:

'Good evening Copenhagen

The venue

I know from the outside it looked rough, but inside it looked spectacular. I am neither here or there regarding having the green room amongst the crowd, so have no particular thoughts on that. The stage itself was stunning, I loved the cube steel work look although at times I did think that it was a bit too high, made some of the artists look lost within the stage. But the lighting and graphics were superb.

The Hosts

I think that they did a really good job this year. i wasn't too bothered about the woman and feel that the two guys could have carried out the hosting duties well on their own, so was glad when they both announced the votes. They were audible without shouting which some of the previous hosts have done. Nikolai in particular was very good, calm, collected and great with English and they all looked very smart.

The Semi Finals

I really enjoyed these, the hosting was very enjoyable. I really liked the Ugly Duckling interval act in the first semi and I really loved the opening act of the second semi. As for the results, i was generally happy with the qualifiers, although personally I would have liked to have seen Portugal and Israel make the Final. I liked the reference to Australia in the second semi and also the song, but I think that the live satellite link should have been it. This was Denmark's show and although the contest is strong in Australia, I hope that future hosts leave it at that.

The Final

I loved the opening sequence, was kind of like a fireworks show inside, great use of the LED screens and pyrotechnics. All of the performers did well but the performances that stood out for me was Spain, Austria, Sweden, Iceland, Montenegro.

The interval act was good, I liked Emelies performance, esp the water pools, I did feel though that she was a bit overshadowed, after all she was the reason the contest was in Denmark. I didn't like the ladder act, was a bit pointless really.

I also was not a big fan of the 12 points song, the tour of the museum segment. I felt that this type of humor had been done in Malmo the year before an done well, this year I felt it was just a copy. The Chinese jokes also I found a bit uncomfortable and if I was Chinese I would have found them offensive.

The voting this year seemed very quick, possibly the quickest. The representatives of each country seemed to be more to the point and when they did go off, the two hosts managed not to interact alot and hence encourage them.

I liked the appearance of the Junior Eurovision winner, it was good to be able to tie in with the main contest

One thing I hated for the second year in a row was announcing the winner before all the countries have declared their votes. i know it was obvious the winner but its annoying and disrespectful to those waiting to vote, and it spoiled what was for the first time in years a competitive and unsure voting.

Again I always find that the very end is too rushed, after all of the hours on TV it seems like OK you have won and titles. I know this is for tv schedules but its a bit anti climatic.

The winner

I loved Conchita Wurst before she was chosen to represent Austria, and this had just reinforced that for me. It is amazing that a traditional country has won and after 49 long years for Austria, this is fantastic. i personally preferred Conchita's semi final performance but I love the song, she looked stunning and the stage looked amazing, although when she won I was hoping for some Dana International inspired phoenix feather wings. Yes its a win for equality and human rights but its also a win for those core Eurovision values, a good song, good singer and not over the top staging.

As a tv viewer Denmark put on an amazing show, better in my view than Malmo. All of the bits of my love for Eurovision that were being eaten away in the 2000's contests tonight came rushing back.

I started this review with saying Good evening Copenhagen.............. I end it with Good Morning Vienna'

Interesting looking at the jury marks on the Eurovision web site the Uk jury placed San Mareno in fourth place just outside the top three , but a lot of the international jury gave it a low ranking,

You would think there wouldn’t be such a massive disparity from the music industry experts,

I also cant help thinking that if the big four had to qualify they may do better, though for me the UK was never in it.

Long may Frances position at the bottom last. That means no public money being thrown down the toilet hosting this garbage. Congrats Austria, and good luck with the expenses.

I liked the contest a lot.

The countries that I enjoyed the most were the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Hungary and Malta. The Netherlands was a nice surprise to me as I didn't like the song much but the performance as a whole was very good. I also liked Belarus, Ukraine and Slovenia. I found France, Poland and Greece quite messy, and that's a pity especially for France because I liked the song a lot. Norway and Azerbaijan had a good vocal performance, but the songs were a bit boring to me. As for the winner, Austria, I liked it but it wasn't among my favourites. Conchita sang very well live, she was probably the best in this aspect, but the song was a bit old-fashioned in my opinion. I just hope she won't be mistaken as a freaky joke act because she wasn't such at all and I wouldn't like the contest to be full again of weird extravagant performances now that they weren't as numerous as several years ago.

The voting was more exciting than ever since the introduction of the semifinals. Even though Austria took the lead more or less soon, the Netherlands and Sweden also had their options intact until the end. The result that I find the most unfair is the United Kingdom's. To me, it was a winning song and a winning performance and it deserved much more than the 17th place. On the other hand, I'm happy that Spain was at last the best ranked big-5 country, and the top 2 shows that anyone can score well in the ESC.

The Netherlands started to rise after the semi finals and on the day of the final.

Predicting the out come two months before the semi-finals when some of the best songs have odds of 200/1 is any thing but predictable.

I think it good for the contest that Netherlands did well ,they had the best song last year , but finished about eighth.

I think it is a good thing the Austria won. We all know that this song wouldn't have won without the personality of Conchita Wurst so it is more a political statement. But: I did felt very sorry for the russian girls. I didn't like the song. And I absolutely dislike Putin with his barbaric politics. But those sweet girls looked so young and happy and it almost broke my heart hearing all this "hate" falling on them, they didn't deserved it at all and for a view moments this "gay bitching" was really annoying, it got really on my nerves and the word tolerance loosed his meaning. So for the gay community: it is nice for you to feel so good with Eurovision but when you seek for respect and tolerance then you have to give some respect and tolerance in return.

The song of the Netherlands was very melodic but soo boring. The swedish so over the top with this "I want to be Celine Dion" copy.

I liked the french song because it was very funny and made me wanna move and dance.

The show was great, the stage fantastic, the green room a great idea, the songs ok but the behaviour of the fans not appropriate.

Long may Frances position at the bottom last. That means no public money being thrown down the toilet hosting this garbage. Congrats Austria, and good luck with the expenses.

Looking at the overnight ratings, it would seem that Michelle's view is shared by many in France- only 2.6 million viewers on France 3, against 8.8 million (rising to 10.6 million near the end of the scoring) in the UK on BBC 1.

We wuz robbed, a little bit- I'd have said Top 10 for Molly, but at least her surname was convenient for the actual result.

Ok now to comment.

Very happy with Conchita winning, and to the comment earlier I wouldn't say it was the most predictable... that goes to 2009 with Alex Rybak. Was always clear he was going to win whereas there were a few favorites coming into tonight and throughout the voting it was very tight.

I don't really have an opinion on booing. Yes it isn't a political competition but it is impossible for politics to not play a part. Russia did well, I enjoyed the twins and their score was extremely well! I'm sure they know the booing wasn't for them and more at the ridiculous government and their LGBT stance. Although glad to see that Russia did actually give points to Austria unlike some countries..

Thought UK should have been higher although the song reminded me of "Kids of America".

As an Italian i'm glad they did alright, however the performance was not that great.

Also France on 2 points? Ouch!

Didn't think The Netherlands was that great, was a rip off of Lady Antebellum (youtube "I just need you now"). Thought Ukraine would get more points (not due to politics but because the song and singer were awesome).

All in all a fantastic Eurovision. See you in Vienna or Salzburg?

Armenia and Azerbaijan need to be thrown out of Eurovision. What they did last night was disgraceful, especially Armenia.

Every single jury member in Armenia voted Azerbaijan last, and vice versa. Also, they placed each other last in the their respective televotes.

It gets worse, Armenia also placed nearly every single favourite for the contest in its bottom 6 positions. They wanted to win so much with Aram Mp3 that they couldn't even bring themselves to play fair, shameful...absolutely shameful.

Here are their bottom results:

20th - Ukraine

21st - Uk

22nd - Sweden

23rd - Hungary

24th - Austria

25th - Azerbaijan

pretty much all of the bookies favourites alongside Azerbaijan. Iam starting to wonder whether this competition has a future in its present form. There have been so many rule changes and yet still some countries are blatant in their attempts to rig the contest. Armenia will never gain a vote from me.

Well then :) The best song came 2nd IMO, & although I was supporting Molly, she just lost something last night. A great shame for what was (& is) a great song :( I so hope the Beeb keep their approach for next year, if there's one thing Austria proves, it's that patience helps :lol: And of course, well done Conchita & Austria. I wasn't loving it as much as some, but as soon as she performed on Thursday, she had it won. Exciting to be heading to a country basically completely new (it's changed a bit since 67 :P) & to the Alpine nations too. Great show from the Danes too, as you'd expect. Bring on 2015 :)

And yet, in the jury system, we seem to get less bloc voting - or is it just a mere coincidence that for the fifth time in only six years, a country from the Western half of Europe (after Norway, Germany, Sweden and Denmark) has won the ESC?

In any case, I'm surprised that the Top 5 at this ESC completely consisted of entries that belonged to the bookies' favourites in advance: Austria, Netherlands, Sweden, Armenia, Hungary. I guess that could be a first in ESC history. And it shows that the bookies either did an unusually good job this time - or that a significant number of televoters could have been influenced by the media reports also about the bookies' results in advance of the grand final.

Austria's win therefore was no surprise either, it was interesting how that Conchita Wurst frenzy suddenly gained momentum in the final days before the final and especially after the 2nd semi-final. While I'm still torn whether her victory is a sign of tolerance or rather a sign that the average ESC viewer likes a freak show (as in 2006 with Lordi, for example), I'm happy for our Austrian neighbours who were one of the unluckiest countries in ESC history. Besides Udo Jürgens' victory in 1966, they never managed to reach the Top 3, and mostly they were only in the 10s or even 20s in terms of the ranking or even got eliminated already in the semi-finals. And frankly, I hadn't expected to see an Austrian ESC victory in my lifetime.

Now, Vienna will surely be a great and dignified host for the ESC. It's a city and a country which gave so immensely much to music (just thinking of Mozart, Liszt and Strauss) - so be sure to find many references to that in next year's ESC.

I for my part are also sad about the Netherlands' loss - their song and its performance were so charming and more than deserving to be a winner. Apart from that one, I suppose that all or at least most performances of last night will be forgotten in only very few weeks.

The Danes did a marvellous job in hosting this ESC - their show especially in the final exuded warmth and hospitality with great innovative ideas. Already the opening of the show with its Olympic-like parade of nations was impressive and of proportions one wouldn't have expected from such a small modest country.;) Let's see how the Austrians will do it and with whom as presenter(s) - but Nordic humaneness and authenticity are simply hard to beat.

And yet, in the jury system, we seem to get less bloc voting - or is it just a mere coincidence that for the fifth time in only six years, a country from the Western half of Europe (after Norway, Germany, Sweden and Denmark) has won the ESC?

In any case, I'm surprised that the Top 5 at this ESC completely consisted of entries that belonged to the bookies' favourites in advance: Austria, Netherlands, Sweden, Armenia, Hungary. I guess that could be a first in ESC history. And it shows that the bookies either did an unusually good job this time - or that a significant number of televoters could have been influenced by the media reports also about the bookies' results in advance of the grand final.

Austria's win therefore was no surprise either, it was interesting how that Conchita Wurst frenzy suddenly gained momentum in the final days before the final and especially after the 2nd semi-final. While I'm still torn whether her victory is a sign of tolerance or rather a sign that the average ESC viewer likes a freak show (as in 2006 with Lordi, for example), I'm happy for our Austrian neighbours who were one of the unluckiest countries in ESC history. Besides Udo Jürgens' victory in 1966, they never managed to reach the Top 3, and mostly they were only in the 10s or even 20s in terms of the ranking or even got eliminated already in the semi-finals. And frankly, I hadn't expected to see an Austrian ESC victory in my lifetime.

Now, Vienna will surely be a great and dignified host for the ESC. It's a city and a country which gave so immensely much to music (just thinking of Mozart, Liszt and Strauss) - so be sure to find many references to that in next year's ESC.

I for my part are also sad about the Netherlands' loss - their song and its performance were so charming and more than deserving to be a winner. Apart from that one, I suppose that all or at least most performances of last night will be forgotten in only very few weeks.

The Danes did a marvellous job in hosting this ESC - their show especially in the final exuded warmth and hospitality with great innovative ideas. Already the opening of the show with its Olympic-like parade of nations was impressive and of proportions one wouldn't have expected from such a small modest country. ;) Let's see how the Austrians will do it and with whom as presenter(s) - but Nordic humaneness and authenticity are simply hard to beat.

You could even add Beethoven to that distinguished list given that he lived in Vienna from the age of 22 and composed practically all his great music there! ;)

Agree with you about Denmark's hosting!

Archived