Eurovision Song Contest 2014

So the contest has departed Malmo,Sweden and we now move over the bridge to Denmark

eurovision-2014-generic.jpg?w=640&h=290&

The provisional dates for 2014 are:

13th, 15th and 17th May

The potential hosts so far are:

Parken Stadium Copenhagen:

parkenstad.jpg

The Boxen Arena Herning:

vision-2025-mch-multiarena-fullview.jpg

So far 8 countries have confirmed their participation.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious whether they'll choose Sweden's approach of giving the ESC hosting rights away from the capital city, to a rather minor arena in a not-very-famous region of the host country (which would be Herning's big break) or whether it will be the now almost traditional "capital city and the biggest arena we have in store" extravaganza.

Parken has the disadvantage that with an open roof, it doesn't create that typical rather cosy indoor ESC atmosphere and of course has less optimal acoustics. And for me, Parken is a bit haunted by the memory of those rather dreadful "we rhyme until your ears bleed" presenters of 2001. But hey, this is the chance to do it better a second time around, dear Danes! ;)

Just as reminder (it's particularly funny how pissed off Terry Wogan is about the continued rhyming at the start of the clip):

And here's the clip where Terry Wogan gave those two their immortal nickname: "The Little Mermaid and Dr. Death":

(skip to 4:19)

I'd opt for Herning, rather than Copenhagen (peeps can come via Copenhagen of course, and travel by land or use Billund airport the home of Lego as it's only less than 50km south from Herning). Not to mention Herning does have a recently built major airport and more than sufficient broadcast space with regards to the Messe Herning.

However, the hotel space is somewhat limited, though sufficient for the trade fair city.

Yet, the idea of bridging the Eurovision with Copenhagen is more than tempting enough to go back there.

Well, if Denmark tried to outshine the previous year's ESC host Sweden in 2001, it failed partially. The venue sure was bigger and offered a historic premiere, namely the first open air ESC - but the presenters were dreadful and a far cry from the handsome, charming and funny pair Kattis Ahlström and Anders Lundin. And all in all, the show was simply not as classy and stunning as Stockholm's one year earlier - which had very much the "new millennium" feel plus that fantastic opening:

It's interesting, though, that history repeats itself now and Sweden passes on to Denmark as ESC host yet again.

I will like to see ESC out of the capital. As I wrote on the other thread, Denmark's show will outshine Sweden's. (countries rivaliry)

I just can say: "Please don't go to Herning" - I know that place - it is a nice little town, but not really capable to host such international event - the number of hotel rooms is far too small...

Team up with Billund (which would serve as main airport anyways). A majority of peeps can be easily housed in the huge Messe Herning complex ;), to make up for the lack of hotel rooms (which is of course sufficient for it's trade fair needs but not a major event like the Eurovision).

Billund is too far away - it is 11 pm in Europe right now - when you want to go from Herning to Billund by train right now - you need 5 h 20 minutes... Imagine when the shows end about midnight - I do not want to spend 5 hours in the train to get into my hotel

If they really want to do it in Herning they have to establish a good transportation system first, which fit with the needs of 12.000 visitors and the employees of the different media...

To take a car is not an alternative, since most of the people drink at the after-show parties...

Herning has about appr. 47,000 inhabitants - the venue has a capacty around 12,000 - during two weeks are 25% more people in Herning (and in the 12,000 are not the media people included)

Malmö has 300,000 inhabitants - 20 minutes away is Copenhagen with an international airport with links to everywhere in the world and a number of inhabitants of appr. 550,000 inhabitants and many fans found a hotel in Copenhagen only...

Billund is too far away - it is 11 pm in Europe right now - when you want to go from Herning to Billund by train right now - you need 5 h 20 minutes... Imagine when the shows end about midnight - I do not want to spend 5 hours in the train to get into my hotel

If they really want to do it in Herning they have to establish a good transportation system first, which fit with the needs of 12.000 visitors and the employees of the different media...

To take a car is not an alternative, since most of the people drink at the after-show parties...

Only 50km < south. Upgrade the roads for a direct link from Bulland to Herning.

Even if this does not happen and Herning is chosen, Billund would serve as the main gateway anyways.

You go to Copenhagen if it's absolutely not possible or if you want to do a different Parken Stadium setup. The mere fact that Herning has a 12,000 seater arena (15,000 concert mode) hosting major events every year (not just local handball) should be more than sufficient reason as to it's ability to house 12,000+ peeps for a week.

DR’s Jan Lagermand Lundme said today to the official Danish broadcaster website his thoughts for the upcoming Eurovision Song Contest 2014.

He said two important things.

The next Eurovision edition will be as intimate as the Malmoe edition and not big either it will be held in The Parken in Copenhagen or in any other place in Denmark. The 2001 Eurovision experience taught them a lot. A show with 38,000 spectators was good for 2001 but not for 2014.

Regarding the hosting he said that DR will not repeat the example of Søren Pilmark & Natasja Crone when it comes to presentation. Therefore there will be no rhyming between the hosts.

Jan Lagermand Lundme is head of entertainment for DR since 2008 responsible for Dansk Melodi Grand Prix, X Factor etc., and it’s his dream since he was 9 years old! Now he will be responsible for the content and the image of the show for the Eurovision 2014.

“The Moscow and Baku editions were big shows, aiming to promote the host countries. We learned a lot from Malmø Eurovision Song Contest. We loved the way SVT organized the contest. Regarding the Eurovision 2014 host we loved the idea of Petra Mede but we will not do the same” says Jan Lagermand Lundme.

Along with Pernille Gaardbo, Søren Therkelsen from DR Event and Susanne Helbo from DR Jura they are already starting to build the best team for the upcoming contest. By early September we will know the host city and he thinks that all five candidate cities are adequate to host this event.

Regarding Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2014 Jan Lagermand Lundme said that there are thoughts to hold semifinals for next year to bring even more Eurovision excitement in the country, following the example of Norway and Sweden but it’s too early for more details or confirmations.

Interesting, so this implies, that if it is held in Copenhagen, at Parken Stadium (the new arena not being completed yet), it will probably have temporary stands placed in field, for spectators, offering a more intimate setup.

Interesting, so this implies, that if it is held in Copenhagen, at Parken Stadium (the new arena not being completed yet), it will probably have temporary stands placed in field, for spectators, offering a more intimate setup.

The ESC in Düsseldorf was held in a football stadium, too (like in Copenhagen 2001), but the green room was "built" in a quarter of the stadium therefore the area with the stage and the audience was smaller than in Copenhagen

Hotel space might well drive this to Copenhagen and Parken. A half-shrouded Parken perhaps. The size of Parken KILLED the TV ambiance for 2001.

I've got a hotel in CPH for 8 days, just in case. If it's anywhere else in Denmark I'll almost certainly take a pass.

Hotel space might well drive this to Copenhagen and Parken. A half-shrouded Parken perhaps. The size of Parken KILLED the TV ambiance for 2001.

I've got a hotel in CPH for 8 days, just in case. If it's anywhere else in Denmark I'll almost certainly take a pass.

I've booked a hotel in CPH from 12th-18th May 2014, too. I won't go to Herning or another small city in Denmark either...

:)

• 3 weeks later...

The Spanish national Congress will examine the costs of the Eurovision Song Contest 2013 and the policy of TVE for the national selection of the artists and the song. There are questions to the board of directors of RTVE about expences and national selection as the politicians now wonder why Spain can win a World Cup but they cannot win the Eurovision Song Contest. The Congress will also wish to learn whether the public will have a say from now on to the selection of the artists as the internal selections didn’t work properly for Spain in the contest.

Can this bring a wind of change for Spain? Lots of fans are praying for that change though!

SOURCE: EUROVISION-SPAIN.COM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The first ever Eurovision performer on stage – also the first Dutch Eurovision representative, Jetty Paerl, died aged 92. De Vogels van Holland (written by Annie M.G. Schmidt and Cor Lemaire) was the very first entry ever performed in the Eurovision history.

Jetty Paerl (Henriette Nanette Paerl) was a Dutch singer, who was most famous in the 1950s and 1960s. She was married to Dutch artist Cees Bantzinger. Born in Amsterdam, during World War II, she lived in London, during the occupation of the Netherlands by Nazi Germany.

There she participated in the broadcasts of Radio Oranje, the Dutch government in exile, and was known as Jetje van Radio Oranje (“Jetty of Radio Orange”). She appears in episode 18 of the 1970s BBC documentary The World at War. In 1956 she represented the Netherlands as the first performer in the first Eurovision Song Contest with the song “De Vogels Van Holland” (The Birds of Holland) written by Annie M.G. Schmidt and composed by Cor Lemaire. At the time the contest was only broadcast via radio, and only the winning song was announced.

Statement by Lys Assia: “I am very sad to hear about Jetty Paerl’s passing. She was a great artist. We started our carriers at the same time. She represented The Netherlands at the first Eurovision, where I won. May God bless Jetty, her family, friends and fans.”

Archived