Munich

Atlanta

Sydney

Salt Lake City

Albertville

Calgary

Grenoble

Visiting Moscow this year.

Matty interesting to hear what you said about atlanta. I had the same pull and went out of my way to go. Timed it so I could go to a baseball game in the stadium - which was a really cool experience with a great view of the torch tower and the city skyline behind. The centennial park is also nice, but that's about it in terms of interesting olympic stuff to visit. Having said that the new aquarium is probably in the top three in the world and worth a visit if that interests you, and there are other attractions there too which can make for an interesting visit. I'm glad I've been.

Matty interesting to hear what you said about atlanta. I had the same pull and went out of my way to go. Timed it so I could go to a baseball game in the stadium - which was a really cool experience with a great view of the torch tower and the city skyline behind. The centennial park is also nice, but that's about it in terms of interesting olympic stuff to visit. Having said that the new aquarium is probably in the top three in the world and worth a visit if that interests you, and there are other attractions there too which can make for an interesting visit. I'm glad I've been.

Cheers, at least Im not the only one who has Atlanta has a place of interest, and in your case, you've been and done it.

Likewise, as mentioned earlier by someone, Sarajevo is a place that I wanted to head to a few years ago, unfortunately the brutal cuts had to be made when time was starting to run out.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts on Albertville now? I was quite pleased with my day spent in Lillehammer, but from what a few others have said, maybe Albertville is somewhere to miss in favour of some of those other french Alpine towns?

I've been to seven cities, mostly Europeans with the exception of Seoul. I would like to go to Rome and Athens mainly for their historical importance. Sydney and LA appeal to me as cosmopolitan world cities. Munich is probably the city that I would visit mainly because of the Olympic heritage as I don't find it very interesting otherwise. Had a flight connection at MUC last year though.

I wouldn't spend long in albertville. Tick it off if you must on the way to somewhere else (that's what I've always done - as we usually pass through once a year on the way to a ski resort) There are so many other nice places to go in the alps - annecy is a nice town worth a visit in its own right. And of course all the smaller ski villages some of which are lovely in the summer too.

You missed the Olympic museum at the Atlanta History Center. That's the second place in the US with an exhibit of the Olympic torches.

Salt Lake I understand has a small Olympic exhibit in Park City; Squaw Valley has one; and I think that's all that Albertville has today (an Olympic museum) since the Ceremonial and Figure skating arenas were torn down.

You missed the Olympic museum at the Atlanta History Center. That's the second place in the US with an exhibit of the Olympic torches.

Salt Lake I understand has a small Olympic exhibit in Park City; Squaw Valley has one; and I think that's all that Albertville has today (an Olympic museum) since the Ceremonial and Figure skating arenas were torn down.

I may be wrong but I think that museum exhibit in atlanta opened after I visited. Shame as it sounds nice - but once you've seen one set of olympic torches...

Salt lake had a really nice little exhibit and film at the cauldron olympic park - don't know if its still there but I enjoyed It, and was also able to buy the official report book there!

The albertville arena is still there. They had an outdoor speed skating track too which is now an athletics track. Ceremonial arena was taken down and I think some of the grandstands were used for the flat water canoeing at Barcelona that summer.

The list: Paris, St Louis, London, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Lake Placid, Los Angeles, Squaw Valley, Rome, Montreal, Barcelona, Atlanta, Salt Lake, Turnio, Beijing, Vancouver, London. Currently have plane tickets for Moscow and Sochi.

Favorites; Rome, Barceolon

Most want to visit: Sydney, Chamonix, Toyko

And it is already planned to attend the Sochi Games... Tickets, flights and accommodation are booked :)

How did you get accommodations??

I've been to Vancouver, Calgary, Paris and Barcelona. Calgay has a great setup at Canada Olympic Park with a zipline and museum that includes the Jamaican bobsled from the 1988 games. Or maybe its the replica from Cool Runnings... not sure. Barcelona's cauldron is still in nice shape which was cool to see. Visiting LA this summer so I hope to see some of the sights from '84 as well.

In your case, it truly is a bragging topic. ;) But olympiakoi-agones can obviously hold a candle to your travel activities. ;)

In which of these cities have you lived?

I've lived in Paris, London, Tokyo (I used to live in Japan in 1998, but arrived on April. I first visited Nagano on summer), Mexico City, Barcelona and Istanbul. And I was in Athens for a few months before, during and after the games in 2004. Still wanting to go to Moscow, Sochi, Melbourne and Sydney.

I've lived in Paris, London, Tokyo (I used to live in Japan in 1998, but arrived on April. I first visited Nagano on summer), Mexico City, Barcelona and Istanbul. And I was in Athens for a few months before, during and after the games in 2004. Still wanting to go to Moscow, Sochi, Melbourne and Sydney.

Y all the moving around? <_< R u sure you're not on Interpol's list?? :ph34r:

j/k.

I've been to (Summer only):

Athens

Paris

London (for the Games)

Stockholm

Los Angeles

Rome

Tokyo

Montreal

Barcelona (for the Games)

Sydney and

Beijing

Going to Moscow this Summer and would like to visit Berlin and Rio.

Vancouver, Los Angeles, Calgary, Montréal, Helsinki, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Paris, London, Antwerp, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Sydney, Tokyo, Barcelona, Athens, Melbourne, Rome, Sarajevo, and Atlanta only. Sadly. :(

Only Games I attended were Vancouvers...but I think I may well have squeezed more out of Vancouver 2010 than anyone else outside of the Olympic family!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Atlanta and St. Louis.... woo hoo go me!!....rofl

The only host cities I've been to outside of North America (I've been to St. Louis, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Lake Placid, Montreal, Calgary, and I was in Salt Lake for the `02 Olympics) are Amsterdam, London and Rome. And with London and Rome, I was only there when I was a little kid.

I am, however, taking a trip to Europe this summer and hitting 3 former hosts (a friend of mine who I'm doing the trip with is doing 4).. Amsterdam again, Paris, and Barcelona. Not entirely coincidentally, I'm going to be in Barcelona for the FINA World Championships, so that should be fun. Aside from that, any tips or inside info on how to hit some of the Olympic history in these cities?

The only host cities I've been to outside of North America (I've been to St. Louis, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Lake Placid, Montreal, Calgary, and I was in Salt Lake for the `02 Olympics) are Amsterdam, London and Rome. And with London and Rome, I was only there when I was a little kid.

I am, however, taking a trip to Europe this summer and hitting 3 former hosts (a friend of mine who I'm doing the trip with is doing 4).. Amsterdam again, Paris, and Barcelona. Not entirely coincidentally, I'm going to be in Barcelona for the FINA World Championships, so that should be fun. Aside from that, any tips or inside info on how to hit some of the Olympic history in these cities?

Barcelona has an awesome Olympic Park which is where the FINA WC will be of course. Also the Olympic port was built for the games as the sailing venue but its also a great stretch of waterfront with a beach that has sand imported from the Middle East.

• 2 years later...

So, I ticked another one off the list. And gave myself a chance to post holiday pics.

Not a lot of remnants around downtown Vancouver itself. Except for the cauldron, of course. Pity about the scaffolding.

Vancouver%202015%20cauldron.jpg

Whistler, though, still proudly displays its Olympic pedigree.

Whistlet%202015-Vancouver%202010.jpg

Whistlet%202015-Vancouver%202010%20rings

Whistlet%202015-Vancouver%202010%20rings

And to don the regalia and loft the torch!

Whistlet%202015-Vancouver%202010%20garb.

Since this thread got a bump just now and I missed the first round, here's my very short list:

Montreal

Tokyo

Torino (this march!)

I would love to see Nagano and Sapporo to see what's left (more so in Sapporo), also London, Munich, Los Angeles, and last but not least Beijing.

Archived