Eurovision Song Contest 2013, 1st semi-final LIVE DISCUSSION

And just 12 minutes fron now, it's "Bon soir Europe! Good evening Europe!" time again: The first semi-final of the Eurovision Song Contest 2013 in Malmö.

Our friend Citius Altius Fortius is in the audience - so hello, Martin!

And we "home-stayers" can discuss here about the good and the awful performances. ;)

Two premieres tonight: German TV is showing this semi-final live only by webcast, and it also shows the second semi-final on Thursday live only by webcast.

And: This year around, I haven't listened to any songs (only besides the German and the British entry) in this ESC beforehand. So I'm curious what will be on offer. ;)

Oh, sorry, Einsfestival (ARD satellite channel) is broadcasting, too.

But... is anyone with me here? ;)

Nice classy opening - though the signing children's choir reminds a bit of the national anthem at London's Olympic opening ceremony. ;)

The Swedish still stage the grandest ESC openings... And this is only the first semi-final!

I suppose that all you guys are in Malmö or have better things to do. ;) Before this leads into a "live monologue", I will wait and see whether someone comes around. ;)

If I only knew. ;) I have to admit that I hardly followed the news regarding the ESC. I just heard that the Danish song (which was also performed tonight) was favoured before the contest.

But frankly, I found tonight quite boring musically. But I remember that I had the same impression after the first semi-final in Baku - and then finally those jewels called "Euphoria" and Loreen came around in the second semi-final and of course the final. ;)

The actual only sensation of tonight: The Netherlands move on to the final for the first time since 2004! Haartelijk gefeliciteerd, dear neighbours!

But it was a nice show nevertheless, with typical Swedish charme. I thought it was a lovely idea to include Australia in the show, with that clip on how the ESC changed Australia.

I don't see any clear favourite so far, though. I'm curious how the songs in the 2nd semi-final will be. It can be that I can't watch it live, but I'll maybe rewatch it later.

Hi Everybody

I had a great place with a good view onto the stage (I was in the mosh pit right between the satellite and the main stage) - I had a fantastic time - the dutch entry surprised me most, since I didn't like it before the show, but Anouk's performance was just great!

The voice of the Belgian entry was in my point of view quite slim...

The voice of the Belgian entry was in my point of view quite slim...

:D I was shocked - for the first minute or so I only listened to the song because I was busy on my computer. And I actually thought, "That's a nice song." Then I looked at the TV screen and was appalled what the singer looked like. A nerdy kid with huge eyebrows - the complete contradiction of what I expected just by the sound. Yuck! So I think the song was optically much more an imposition than musically. ;)

It is a song contest after all, we should be judging on the song and performance not what the singers personal looks are.

My thoughts on the first Semi - Final:

Opening video was nice, i like how it paid homage to Euphoria being a hit across Europe. Liked the butterflies flying over the bridge towards Malmo.

Opening Act - We seen it before at Melodifestivalen so i was not really excited by the act.

Petra Mede - I like the one host concept and she said what she needed to, no dribble about love or feelings. Love her accent and she looked gorgeous.

Stage - Like the stage and the lighting, it appears smaller and more intimate.

Interval Act - Loved the journey through eurovision history with Petra, a nice touch. The interval act was good but would have been nicer to have something that would have made the audience dance and have fun. Talented dancers and visually looked great.

Finalists: Generally happy with the qualifiers. Would have preferred Austria and Croatia to go through instead of Belarus and Lithuania but hey.

In general i enjoyed the first semi final but i was expecting more from Sweden. It seemed to me no better than the Melodifestivalen

I just took a midday nap in the hotel, since I slept only two hours last night after that terriffic show - in the arena you are able to watch the videos and the intros of the songs, but that is more a minor thing - the atmosphere in the venue is something special, which you can't show on TV...

I had some very nice talks with fans from the Netherlands, Ireland etc. etc. etc. - and a guy from Sydney, who came to Europe for the ESC with his girl friend...

We were talking about rugby and the ESC...

Tonight I don't go the jury semi final 2, but go to the Eurovision Village, where the Big Five and Sweden will perform their songs

Tomorrow is the Semi Final 2 - and on saturday the grand final

I can only recommend everybody to watch the ESC live - it is a completely different experience

I loved the show last night. The butterflies are so beautiful and well done.

I loved the stage and staging. I like the fact it felt more intimate too rather than getting bigger and bigger arenas.

I really loved the comedy lady talking about Sweden she was great, comedy usually falls flat at Eurovision but this was really well done.

My only gripe, where was the UK in the intro music. It was a lovely idea but if you cant include everyone, maybe dont do it especially with a country with such a long history in the competition. Other than that I really enjoyed the show, well done Sweden.

Belgium was the suprise of the night for me, although I thought his dancers were pretty poor.

I hope you are having a great time Martin.

How is the experience compared to Düsseldorf, Martin?

Regarding the Swedish comedian's (Sarah Dawn Finer is her name) performance: I love that Lynda Woodruff character! She always makes me laugh. Here are her performances from the 2012 and 2013 Melodifestivalen:

And not to forget - she also announced Sweden's points at last year's ESC final:

I loved the show last night. The butterflies are so beautiful and well done.

I loved the stage and staging. I like the fact it felt more intimate too rather than getting bigger and bigger arenas.

I really loved the comedy lady talking about Sweden she was great, comedy usually falls flat at Eurovision but this was really well done.

My only gripe, where was the UK in the intro music. It was a lovely idea but if you cant include everyone, maybe dont do it especially with a country with such a long history in the competition. Other than that I really enjoyed the show, well done Sweden.

Belgium was the suprise of the night for me, although I thought his dancers were pretty poor.

I hope you are having a great time Martin.

How is the experience compared to Düsseldorf, Martin?

Yeah, it is a great atmosphere here in Malmö - it is smaller/familiar here in Malmö than in Düsseldorf...

The venue is a nutshell in comparison with the Esprit Arena - the people are very helpful and nice - I just have a good time here and I just recommend to watch an ESC live

@jawnbc - I talked to a Canadian yesterday, who works for a newspaper in Chicago and we talked about Celine and that the US-citizens don't get the idea of the ESC and that they think it is crazy - I asked him about his personal view and he told me that it is just fantastic...

By the way for all Aussies spoiler alert!!!

The SBS produced a video about Aussie ESC-fans, which is shown in the first semi-final and all Aussies in the arena went nuts!!!

Ive never seen Melodifestivalen, I feel like I have been missing out.

This is the logo of our Eurovision Song Contest Party in honour of Bonnie, held in Stoke on Trent this year, its something like our 20th anniversary! And this years theme is 'A new Pope'

Im sure you will have more fun though Martin

eurovisionlogo.jpg

OK, it's already the 2nd semi-final tonight, but I'll use this thread - because a separate thread for the 2nd semi-final will probably be a bit futile. ;)

Frankly, after returning home late and seeing the highlights compilation of tonight's performers, I have to say: I still don't get the impression that we have heard the winner of the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest so far. I'm more and more convinced that it will be one of the performers from the six countries that didn't perform on Tuesday and tonight. I particularly like the Italian entry - but the other ones are interesting as well, even Bonnie Tyler's entry (even if she probably doesn't stand a chance at all). ;)

It was absolutely amazing today - I was right in front of the main stage (encircled by the path and the satellite stage) - I waved my German flag between the turkish and the israeli flag/ hammer

My flag was always visible when this area was shown...

just came back from a party, which is for fanclub members only

Eurovision live is absolutely amazing!!!

Absolute disgrace that Israel, San Marino and Switzerland did not progress to the final. How can they now call this a song contest.

If all the countries can vote in the final even of they do not qualify then they should all be able to vote in both semi finals - it is pathetic.

Hope that Iceland or Estonia lift the crown on Saturday - lovely SONGS with good singers unlike that utter trash from Romania.

I thought we had been getting better over the years but it seems that the Eastern Bloc (excluding Balkans, who have done terrible this year) are taking back the contest.

I heard the booing, you dont often hear booing at Eurovision.

The start to the show last night was really good. I just dont think theres an outstanding song this year. Not like last year. It may make for a more interesting vote, I hate it when theres a runaway winner, I like the tension.

I agree with the qualifiers from the first semifinal (I would have liked Austria to qualify though), but yesterday was terrible. I can't understand how Armenia and Romania got through, and even Georgia, which I didn't like very much either.

At least Malta qualified. They're my favourites by far for tomorrow, although it looks like they're going to be in the last places... And I'm afraid Spain is going to be in the bottom too... Our entry might not be a "winning" song, but I'm not going to like it if we end up lower than certain countries like Armenia and Romania.

I'm curious to see how all the Balkan countries will vote in the final as none of them will be performing.

Well this Transylvanian performance ... terrible, absolutely awful!

Malta was absolutely sweet even if the song is quite average.

My Top 5 yesterday:

- Greece

- Norway

- Hungary

- Malta

- Georgia

It is really sad that Austria didn't qualify.

My Top 5:

- France

- Sweden

- Greece

- Denmark

- Norway

Archived