COC To Back Possible Toronto 2024 Bid

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just for clarification, those countries are MORE populous than Canada, not less. Of course the IOC won't get out their calculators and crunch numbers, but I think that 4 games in 48 years will "feel"

But you know, it won't matter because the IOC is "desperate" to go to Africa right away

Someone from Brisbane, who would like to see the Olympics there someday, really shouldn't be "picking" on Durban.

Blahblah/ waterfront//blahblah/ multiculturalism//blahblah// CN Tower// blahblah // first Olympics in Ontario//blahblah.....

When has the CN Tower or "first games in Ontario" story ever been brought up. Neither of those would be important to a bid lol.

You want to attract the IOC members and engage their enthusiasm - not bore them to death.

It's an exciting city to be in right now with all that's going on and how it's transforming. An Olympics would set an ever lasting legacy on Toronto's downtown core and waterfront community. It would be a mammoth of a transformation.

That's fine. And I'm sure a games would accelerate that band make it even more exciting. That's what an Olympics would do for Toronto. But what would all that do to enhance the Olympic movement?

Sorry to be picky - I do think it's inevitable Toronto will host one day. But none of the pitches cited so far seem like anything that would get the average IOC member excited or spark their imagination or enthusiasm yet.

Make Toronto seem like a spa treatment equivalent of Olympic Games for the IOC after their years of hard work fighting in the frontiers (Sochi/Rio/PC/Istanbul(best case scenario for Toronto)). I don't mean lavish amenities for the IOC but the technical security of a highly capable bid in a world class city, also a celebration of Olympic Ideals in a living proof of a city where difference race/culture/religion/gender/sexual preference peaceful coexistence is a daily thing.

I know, it's THAT cheesy and pandering but Olympic Games and IOC is all about cheese.

Biggest booming city in North America.

What does "biggest booming city" even mean? If you mean that Canada's economy is fairing better than its southern neighbour, so by default it largest city comes out on top, then sure. However, such minor, self proclaimed titles Toronto wheels out isn't the kind of stuff the IOC cares too deeply about.

Blahblah/ waterfront//blahblah/ multiculturalism//blahblah// CN Tower// blahblah // first Olympics in Ontario//blahblah.....

;)

:lol:

Most condo construction in the world lol.

Wow, what a compelling argument. <_<

Sorry to be picky - I do think it's inevitable Toronto will host one day. But none of the pitches cited so far seem like anything that would get the average IOC member excited or spark their imagination or enthusiasm yet.

Why apologize for that. Are they apologizing for being picky about South Africa. Heck, even the IOC doesn't apologize for that, & they're the pickiest of the bunch.

What does "biggest booming city" even mean? If you mean that Canada's economy is fairing better than its southern neighbour, so by default it largest city comes out on top, then sure. However, such minor, self proclaimed titles Toronto wheels out isn't the kind of stuff the IOC cares too deeply about.

Well, this article suggests that things aren't as rosey as are northern neighbors here like to trumpet about.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/04/02/and-canadas-stuck/

And while a regeneration of an area might be a compelling argument, the others things like "multi-culturism & sound venue plan doesn't get anyone very far, as Madrid & probably Tokyo, will soon find out. At least on the 'great venue concept' part.

That's fine. And I'm sure a games would accelerate that band make it even more exciting. That's what an Olympics would do for Toronto. But what would all that do to enhance the Olympic movement? Sorry to be picky - I do think it's inevitable Toronto will host one day. But none of the pitches cited so far seem like anything that would get the average IOC member excited or spark their imagination or enthusiasm yet.

And yet all Durban has to do is say we are from Africa

Well, this article suggests that things aren't as rosey as are northern neighbors here like to trumpet about. http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/04/02/and-canadas-stuck/

Wow lol. I sure hope your not picking on Canadas economy. Have you seen USA? Terrible terrible. Leading the world into a global financial crisis. 14 trillion dollars debt. They sure as hell don't deserve it. Plus the whole corruption bidding scandal 2002 I'm sure is still in peoples memories. I'd much rather Canada over greedy USA

• Like 1

What I mean is the amount of development, investment, immigration, population growth, business, growing strong economy, festivals, and the city's vibrant and thriving arts scene. I'm not saying that the IOC will care about that but I think Toronto has never been this vibrant and exciting and things are just going to go to the next level within another 10 years and why not include the Olympics as Toronto's party for its considerable growth on the international scene.

Toronto in 2000 versus Toronto in 2013.

2000:

2prwuas.jpg

2013 (took this pic from monorail's signature)

8716218476_ee13ebdbbd_b.jpg

That's my definition of booming. So much is going on and this dramatic change is only within a 13 year period.

Wow lol. I sure hope your not picking on Canadas economy. Have you seen USA? Terrible terrible. Leading the world into a global financial crisis. 14 trillion dollars debt. They sure as hell don't deserve it. Plus the whole corruption bidding scandal 2002 I'm sure is still in peoples memories. I'd much rather Canada over greedy USA

Well, if the U.S. is "leading the world into a global financial crisis", then I guess according to you, Canada & Australia will soon follow. And get off the corruption thing already, it's old. The Japanese & the Australians also played that way too. It was just unfortunate Salt Lake that got their hand caught in the cookie jar. Yeah, ditto. Brisbane doesn't "deserve" the Olympics, either. Hobart would be better. :lol::P

I just read most skyscrapers under construction in the world. That would be booming lol idk

That's fine. And I'm sure a games would accelerate that band make it even more exciting. That's what an Olympics would do for Toronto. But what would all that do to enhance the Olympic movement?

Enhance in what way? How did London, Beijing do it? (Idk that's why I am asking).

Someone from Brisbane, who would like to see the Olympics there someday, really shouldn't be "picking" on Durban. :P

Key words are like to. I know its not gonna happen FYI and its also rather irrelevant to this discussion. I would like Africa to have a games but they have much more important things like decreasing crime rates and poverty

Well, if the U.S. is "leading the world into a global financial crisis", then I guess according to you, Canada & Australia will soon follow. And get off the corruption thing already, it's old. The Japanese & the Australians also played that way too. It was just unfortunate Salt Lake that got their hand caught in the cookie jar. Yeah, ditto. Brisbane doesn't "deserve" the Olympics, either. Hobart would be better. :lol::P

Why are you continuing to bring up brisbane i know it won't happen when cities like Tokyo and Istanbul are unable to land a games. Seems like its not quite old for some IOC members.

I would like Africa to have a games but they have much more important things like decreasing crime rates and poverty

And Rio doesn't? China is also not free of crime & poverty, but it didn't stop them from spending $60 Billion on their 3-week enormous extravaganza. People always bring up those notions against Africa, but truth is, even without an Olympics there, the goverment wouldn't automatically use that money that they would've used on a Games then put it to use on social issues. It's a noble argument, but it's an oxymoron one at that. On the contrary, an Olympics in South Africa could raise the profile & pride of it's people, much like Lula so vehemently argued for Rio's case.

This video here is a must see. Wow!! The guy that filmed this is very talented. He needs to be hired to create the Toronto 2024 Videos.

Doesn't look like the direct video link works.. Visit the link to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/11/tourism_toronto_hits_it_big_with_new_timelapse_video/

Watch in HD

And yet all Durban has to do is say we are from Africa

That's a more compelling argument than you seem to want to give them credit for. If these bids were about the IOC finding the most technically sound bid in the most economically city they could find without regard to geopolitics, than Toronto probably be at the top of the list. But that's not how it works. The Olympics are about the IOC and furthering their agenda and their vision. These new frontier hosts like Beijing and Rio accomplish that objective for them because it brings their Olympic movement to locations that have never been a part of it before. It's the idea of promoting sport in those countries. If Toronto wants to sell themselves on the idea that their hosting an Olympics will turn summer sports into a big deal in Canada (or at least a bigger deal than they are now), that's what they need to offer to the IOC. Durban, simply being in South Africa, can offer that. And that might be all they need (that plus a halfway decent bid that the IOC can feel comfortable with).