COC To Back Possible Toronto 2024 Bid

GBModerator

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People seem to be rating medal tallies alot so lets consider them.

this means too soon

this means country unable to host for obvious reasons

and normal is an option for 2024.

Germany possibly but I thought pursuing Munich 2022

Japan 2020 is what i'm assuming here

46 29 29 104 2 38 27 23 88 4 24 26 32 82 3 29 17 19 65 6 11 19 14 44 11 7 14 17 38 10 7 16 12 35 7 11 11 12 34 5 13 8 7 28 8 8 9 11 28 13 6 6 8 20 14 6 5 9 20 36 1 5 12 18 9 8 4 5 17
21 3 10 4 17 22 3 5 9 17 16 5 3 6 14 12 7 1 5 13 15 6 2 5 13 17 4 5 3 12

So Canada, France, Germany (maybe), USA and Canada if we are talking about medal count.

5 cities plus Doha (possibly Baku?)

Yeah that underlined thing didn't work...

italy netherlands ukraine hungary spain kazakhstan cuba iran new zealand unable to host.

too poor, not ready, country to small etc.

If population is the determining factor India and China would have 3x the games hosted the USA has. If a country presents a very good bid and can convince the IOC anything is possible. Canada's population was smaller when Calgary won 1988, this also after a disastrous Montreal.

What a difference in organization and logistics then, between Montreal and Calgary. Of course, it is a bit of a "comparison between an apple and an orange" here.

I disagree with that. South Africa will eventually be ready to host.

Well, South Africa did well in hosting the 2010 World Cup. Too bad that Uganda got the undesired incident from that terrorist group that really wanted to aim their bombers at South Africa. Of course, 2018 is located just south from the DMZ border in Korea. 2020 is going to be hard for the IOC to choose.

What do the Canadians want people to say? "Oh, if Toronto's in, they're hot favourites and will be dead certs to win"? Apart from that fact that it's a very hypethetical race to begin with, every bid carries some baggage - and even at this early stage Canada's recent hostings will be baggage. Can it overcome that? Possibly, but we'll need to see who it lines up against to get any feel.

These are just the starting shots if this ends up as a race with the US and Canada up against each other. I'd expect we'll get a lot more heated rivalry between members from the two here if it does go on in earnest. But I also tend to agree with the sentiment that the whole thing about Canada's or the US's chances decline a hell of a lot and become moot if they end up lining up against Durban or Paris.

I get the feeling that 2024 is going the way the bids for the 2012 Olympic Games went. Having all those well-known global cities going at it made it exciting and nail-biting.

I thought Quebec City wasn't serious with the 2022 bid :o Anyways... Glad to see Toronto is warming up, it can be between US and Canada, it's already time for North America to host.

The biggest barrier for Toronto to bid for the Olympic Games presently is the current Harper government. It seems that the three Olympic Games Canada hosted so far had the Liberals in power, when it came to winning bids for them.

Well, a field like that certainly wouldn't help Toronto. I believe that it was runningrings that said in another thread, if Vancouver hadn't of hosted, that he still couldn't see Toronto being able to compete that well in the 2012 field.

Well, a field like that certainly wouldn't help Toronto. I believe that it was runningrings that said in another thread, if Vancouver hadn't of hosted, that he still couldn't see Toronto being able to compete that well in the 2012 field.

It would've beaten Moscow and NYC I reckon but no chance of beating Madrid, Paris or London.

If it were super compact like 2008, being similar as in Madrid 2016 and 2020 (having a mostly the same bid, using the same technical information etc, with what's been built since 4 years of the previous bid), it would have beaten comeback bidder Madrid (after 1972), but perhaps not Paris or London.

If it did beat Paris, it would have been a fight of the Anglophone cities.

The 2012 final evaluation report cited Madrid's bid to be excellent. Plus, with JAS still in the picture, IDK if they easily would've placed 4th in that scenario. Perhaps, but not with ease. But beating Paris & London is an overstatement. Those two were seen as the favorites from the very beginning.

Perhaps but, Toronto would have been in the picture. So with a technically good follow up from 2008, no more Beijing to deal with and perhaps even some sympathy votes, it might have gone Toronto's way. Perhaps not winning, but runners up again.

They (the bid team) would have avoided the gaffs of the 2008 bid that cost them votes from some African members.

Yeah, but remember that Paris was also a repeat bidder that lost out to mighty Beijing, too. And they also had a good follow up to their 2008 plan. Not to mention that they also lost to JAS' meddling for the '92 Games. The French were a formidable candidate for 2012.

The only reason why Toronto finished ahead of Paris for the 2008 race was simply due to the fact that Europe (Athens) was already hosting 2004. If it wasn't for that, Paris would've been the runner up.

It is the last frontier, but with Durban I doubt it on its first try.

Why would Durban/RSA be any less "cagey" of entering and NOT winning on its first try than the US or Canada entering with the same mindset?? Would the IOC really think "No; let's not give it to Durban-RSA-Africa now. We'll wait until they come back." One, what do you base your assessment on? Two, and would Durban really come back? Durban would have the might of a WHOLE continent of some 52 NOCs behind them.

Durban already has an Olympic stadium. All it needs are a few other arenas and an Olympic Village. The bigger problem I see is raising needed hotel rooms to the minimum 45,000. But being a port, they can easily sign up 7 or 8 giant cruise ships, and they could get another 16,000-18,000 rooms right there. The bigger logistical challenge is securing and signing up a few giant cruise ships for 3 weeks, creating a harbor to host 6, 7 or 8 giant cruise ships and all the supply logistics for such an anchored armada.

I'm inclined to agree that Paris and Durban would be the favorites if they bid. I'm not sure any North American bid can challenge. Maybe NYC, but who knows if that's even happening.

If Durban bids, they have to be the odds on favorite. Paris has to be number 2. After that it gets murky with the likes of Rome, a possible repeat bid from Tokyo/Istanbul/Madrid, an unknown US city and Toronto. Then there's Doha, Dubai, Baku.

Based on Durban's restraint with 2020, I'm inclined to believe they won't bid until they're genuinely ready. If that's 2024, everybody better look out.

No one is contesting that Toronto is a worthy Olympic host. The issue is the timing.

And, lets face it, American bidding will always have some impact Canadian bids.

If Durban bids, they have to be the odds on favorite.

I think we have to ammed that to say that if Durban puts forth a *quality* bid. They can't just throw their hat in the ring and expect to win. And there are serious issues to overcome before Duban can put forth a quality bid.

I think we have to ammed that to say that if Durban puts forth a *quality* bid. They can't just throw their hat in the ring and expect to win. And there are serious issues to overcome before Duban can put forth a quality bid.

Which is why they held off from entering 2020. I think they realize that and they are, I imagine, working towards the bigger problems like hotel rooms and legacy issues balanced with priority of spending national funds for another sports spectacle. 14 or 18 (should they choose to go for 2028 instead) years later will seem like a reasonable passage of time from 2010. And I wonder how the 2010 stadia in Polokwane, Port Elizabeth and 1 or 2 of the smaller cities are doing.

Like I said, I don't think SA will bid until they are ready. I don't get the sense they will offer a substandard bid. Either they'll come to win in 2024 or they may defer until 2028 or later, but I don't see them offering a weak 2024 bid.

Archived