COC To Back Possible Toronto 2024 Bid

GBModerator

Any how many patriotic Canadian's would 'shoot down' their own country? I'm sure not many, if any.

I would shoot down a Quebec City bid in a heart beat....

Having the Olympics right on the water is going to be breathtaking.

What?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would shoot down a Quebec City bid in a heart beat....

But you said the country in general. I think that most Americans here have done the same by shooting down the likes of Minneapolis, Houston, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Tulsa, etc.

Fair enough. I personally have never put down Boston or Philadelphia.

No, but one of your compatriots has.

Poor summer performance? 18 medals is not a POOR summer performance. A poor summer performance is much less than 18 medals. I would say Canada is average at the Summer Games, not poor by any stretch of the imagination. And btw, Canada had more medals than Spain in London, so they are not better than Canada sporting-wise, probably even. And Spain is stronger economically than Canada? Seriously?

1 gold is not too impressive. Sorry.

Spain had 3 to Canada's 1.

I'd also add that many Americans here have expressed, at least, concern that the IOC is anti-American and the effect of anti-Americanism in some quarters on any likely bid. So, yeah, I do think they tend to look at their overall nationwide bidding hindrances.

1 gold is not too impressive. Sorry.

Spain had 3 to Canada's 1.

If Canada is poor than what the hell do you rate a country like the Maldives?

But you said the country in general. I think that most Americans here have done the same by shooting down the likes of Minneapolis, Houston, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Tulsa, etc.

I would be very quick to admit that Vancouver is a huge hindrance to a 2024 bid. But that has nothing to do with Canada's population or size. Any country could have a tough time winning two games in 14 years. But my opinion has been that if Toronto mounts a strong bid in 2024, a la the 2008 bid with some improvements, they have a great shot at winning.

Ya but the Americans here never seem to criticize there own cities. With a few exceptions like Tulsa, etc., you all think any American city can win in 2024. NYC and Chicago yes. But Dallas or Houston for example? Give me a break. What international appeal do either of those cities have? Like intoronto has said before, the Americans here are too afraid to admit that Toronto poses a legit threat to their chances of landing the games.

I've said repeatedly that the only city that excited me personally is Chicago and they aren't bidding. I do think NYC or LA can contend, SF only if they get their act together.

I think that the next tier (Philly, Dallas, Boston) could compete with Toronto, but I think their chances of beating the rest if the field are much slimmer.

In one sense, Toronto could pose a threat because it's a worthy city in North America. But when you consider the fact that Canada just hosted, that the US puts more far more money into the Olympics than any other country, that the US is an athletic powerhouse, I do believe several US cities could outrun Toronto for 2024.

That said, I've written repeatedly that I'd personally just assume that the USOC not bid for the foreseeable future.

If Canada is poor than what the hell do you rate a country like the Maldives?

Are you suggesting that Canada and the Maldives are on equal footing?

I can't help chuckling.

And just for clarification, yes I think 1 gold for Canada is a disappointing performance. I would never describe Canada as a poor country, just poorly performing in London.

I can't help chuckling.

And just for clarification, yes I think 1 gold for Canada is a disappointing performance. I would never describe Canada as a poor country, just poorly performing in London.

No but your poor choice of wording is appalling.

1 gold medal is poor, but 18 medals, 13th overall in medals is not a disappointing performance.

I can't stop keep chuckling at how much of a broken record you sound like.

I've said repeatedly that the only city that excited me personally is Chicago and they aren't bidding. I do think NYC or LA can contend, SF only if they get their act together.

I think that the next tier (Philly, Dallas, Boston) could compete with Toronto, but I think their chances of beating the rest if the field are much slimmer.

In one sense, Toronto could pose a threat because it's a worthy city in North America. But when you consider the fact that Canada just hosted, that the US puts more far more money into the Olympics than any other country, that the US is an athletic powerhouse, I do believe several US cities could outrun Toronto for 2024.

That said, I've written repeatedly that I'd personally just assume that the USOC not bid for the foreseeable future.

I can't help chuckling.

No, what I'm suggesting is that if Canada is poor at the summer olympics, what do we classify countries who do not win medals, possibly due to their size or lack of wealth? But yea, Canada's performance in London was disappointing. It wasn't poor, though.

No but your poor choice of wording is appalling.

1 gold medal is poor, but 18 medals, 13th overall in medals is not a disappointing performance.

I can't stop keep chuckling at how much of a broken record you sound like.

I'm glad to hear you're pleased by the tally.

Not sure what word choice you find so appalling. Canada was brilliant in Vancouver with 14 gold. Disappointing in London with 1. There are more than three times as many medals available in the Summer Games. Can Canada's performance in London really be controversial?

I would be because I don't come from the self professed superpower that wins everything :rolleyes:

Exactly. When you win 100+ medals, nothing separates the skeet shooters from the swimmers. There are no national heroes.

Not sure what word choice you find so appalling. Canada was brilliant in Vancouver with 14 gold. Disappointing in London with 1. There are more than three times as many medals available in the Summer Games. Can Canada's performance in London really be controversial?

It is appalling. Poor = absolute disaster. 18 medals does not equate to a disaster. One gold was disappointing yes but overall it wasn't.

I would be very quick to admit that Vancouver is a huge hindrance to a 2024 bid. But that has nothing to do with Canada's population or size. Any country could have a tough time winning two games in 14 years. But my opinion has been that if Toronto mounts a strong bid in 2024, a la the 2008 bid with some improvements, they have a great shot at winning.

I disagree. Rome, before the Italian goverment pulled the plug on their 2020 bid, was seen as an early-on favorite for the 2020 Games, despite Turin 2006. Mainly in part bcuz 1) Rome is one of the most iconic cities in the world. 2) Italy performs well at the Summer Olympics. 3) Italy is a large, European country that hasn't hosted a Summer Games in over half a century & 4) there are 4 IOC members that could lobby strongly for their case.

It's a fallacy that all countries are viewed equally within the Olympic Movement. And it's extremely premature to state that a Toronto 2024 bid would have "a great shot of winning" when we don't know yet whether or not Toronto will even bid, let alone who else will put their name forward, for that matter.

I would be because I don't come from the self professed superpower that wins everything :rolleyes:

We don't choose where we are born. I am not chanting "USA". In fact I'm doing the opposite and arguing the USA shouldn't bid at all. Not sure why you're so defensive.

I'm also arguing that Toronto would not come at 2024 from a position of strength, the lack of Summer athletic prowess being one among several pertinent weaknesses. These are my opinions based on facts.

As for NYC, for the eight millionth time, I don't like the idea of Olympics in New York City. I'm not carrying the torch for them. I don't know if they will bid or not. I hope they don't. However, I think it's quite possible they are one of the anonymous cities talking to the IOC. We may never know if the USOC doesn't make the information public.

It is appalling. Poor = absolute disaster. 18 medals does not equate to a disaster. One gold was disappointing yes but overall it wasn't.

In my book "poor" means far below reasonable expectation. I think that's a fair description. But hey, if you're content hearing "O, Canada" once every four years, who am I to argue?

Wait until you hear about the preliminary stadium plans. A game changer for Toronto.

How is that going to change the game? I mean that as a serious question that I don't know the answer to. What is it that we should expect from tomorrow that is truly going to move the needle in Toronto's favor?

As for NYC, for the eight millionth time, I don't like the idea of Olympics in New York City. I'm not carrying the torch for them. I don't know if they will bid or not. I hope they don't. However, I think it's quite possible they are one of the anonymous cities talking to the IOC. We may never know if the USOC doesn't make the information public.

And you just never miss an opportunity to share that with us, do you.

In my book "poor" means far below reasonable expectation. I think that's a fair description. But hey, if you're content hearing "O, Canada" once every four years, who am I to argue?

It was not far below expectation. Who are we kidding here. 3 seems to be the standard for Canada at the SOG. Off course no one will be content with hearing it once but we heard it 15 times in the last four years.

It was not far below expectation. Who are we kidding here. 3 seems to be the standard for Canada at the SOG. Off course no one will be content with hearing it once but we heard it 15 times in the last four years.

That's my point! Own the Podium was supposed to carry over to Summer Games. After the success in Vancouver surely expectations were higher for London.

That's my point! Own the Podium was supposed to carry over to Summer Games. After the success in Vancouver surely expectations were higher for London.

I believe the money invested into the Winter Own The Podium was substantially more.

I believe the money invested into the Winter Own The Podium was substantially more.

No doubt. But going from the number 1 nation in Vancouver to number 36 in London is rather drastic. It shows pretty clearly where Canada's strengths and priorities lie.

It's a fallacy that all countries are viewed equally within the Olympic Movement. And it's extremely premature to state that a Toronto 2024 bid would have "a great shot of winning" when we don't know yet whether or not Toronto will even bid, let alone who else will put their name forward, for that matter.

I think this is where some of the Canadian folk here perceive us Americans as arrogant. When we say that we don't like Toronto's chances for 2024, that's not an indictment of the city or the country or anyone who would back the bid. It's an acknowledgement that all things considered, there are probably more than a couple of cities and countries the IOC is likely to choose ahead of Toronto if given the opportunity. It's not an indictment against Toronto.

Archived