COC To Back Possible Toronto 2024 Bid

GBModerator

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear some news coming out after all these months of silence. This is going to be an excellent bid but Toronto seriously needs to come up with a great strategy to convince the IOC they deserve the games over its competitors

14 years removed from Vancouver for a country with a population smaller than Kenya, Poland and Algeria? I think Toronto will host, but I don't see it in 2024.

I understand your pov but really your bringing Kenya, Algeria and Poland into this? The first two will not host an Olympics in our lifetime so it would be irrelevant

In a race right now, where we're seeing the largest metropolis in the world, that also happens to be the capital of the worlds 3rd largest economy & of a country that has 5x's the population & hasn't hosted in a longer period, still having a very hard time of coming up with a compelling "why" factor.. so I can't see why Toronto would be in a better position if they were to bid next time. Perhaps they'll host one day, but I can't see it in 2024, either.

14 years removed from Vancouver for a country with a population smaller than Kenya, Poland and Algeria? I think Toronto will host, but I don't see it in 2024.

If population is the determining factor India and China would have 3x the games hosted the USA has. If a country presents a very good bid and can convince the IOC anything is possible. Canada's population was smaller when Calgary won 1988, this also after a disastrous Montreal.

Population is a determining factor. That's why China was always bringing it up in their 2008 bid. "You can't deny 1.3 Billion much longer". And just like one of the previous posters mentioned that bringing up Kenya & Algeria is irrelevant bcuz they can't host, then so is bringing up India bcuz they can't host YET either. But bet money on it that once they are, then they'll be the largest country on the planet & they'll be playing that same population card just like China successfully did.

And Calgary was competing for a WINTER Games, which a winter sport nation like Canada never hosted before. Not to mention that it was competing against Falun, which was too far away from the mountain resorts, & Cortina D'ampezzo which had already hosted. Apple & oranges, to say the least.

Love how it's the same arguments and same stupid hyperbole we always have with regard to Toronto. Population matters. No it doesn't. Well what about China. Why Toronto? Why not Toronto? And it goes on like this.

How about looking at GDP? Canada has a pretty strong economy right now. It's per capita GDP is even more impressive in that regard. That's where India falls short.. their GDP is large, but relative to their population, it's not so strong. Plus, it goes without saying that the 2010 Commonwealth Games weren't the type of positive experience that the 2007 Pan Ams were to Rio.

My take on Toronto.. no question they'll be the next Canadian city to host a Summer Olympics, perhaps the next city to host an Olympics of any kind in Canada. But we're only a few years removed from Vancouver. I can see it happening, but they're hampered by the same factors that hinder a potential U.S. bid for 2024.. if the competition is strong, can they come up with a compelling enough candidate to win the vote? You certainly can't fault the COC for focusing on landing a Summer Olympics, especially with Toronto. But much as it took several tries to land their first Olympics, I think it's going to be awhile before Toronto lands their Olympics. My money still says the next Summer Olympics we see in North America will be in the United States. But the way these things go, there's no reason Toronto and the COC shouldn't line themselves up for a 2024 bid.

I understand your pov but really your bringing Kenya, Algeria and Poland into this? The first two will not host an Olympics in our lifetime so it would be irrelevant

I'm not "bringing them into this" just citing factual population statistics. Considering its size, 4 Olympics for Canada in the space of 48 years is quite a lot.

I agree with many posts that Toronto will host the SOG in the near future -Not doubt about that. Even I could see that by 2032/2036-, but I also believe it's too soon for a Canadian SOG in 2024. With potential candidates like Paris, Durban or St. Petersburg -Not counting yet an American candidate-, Toronto needs a lot of work to surpase the obstacles. Maybe in ten years -Approx. 60 years since Montreal 1976- would be an excellent opportunity

About Calgary, well... They were Winter Olympics Games. They have limitations and geographical condictions to make it. Not many countries could compete to bid and also, not many nations have a relevant participation by these Games.

I agree with many posts that Toronto will host the SOG in the near future -Not doubt about that. Even I could see that by 2032/2036-, but I also believe it's too soon for a Canadian SOG in 2024. With potential candidates like Paris, Durban or St. Petersburg -Not counting yet an American candidate-, Toronto needs a lot of work to surpase the obstacles. Maybe in ten years -Approx. 60 years since Montreal 1976- would be an excellent opportunity

About Calgary, well... They were Winter Olympics Games. They have limitations and geographical condictions to make it. Not many countries could compete to bid and also, not many nations have a relevant participation by these Games.

Sochi hosted in 2014....

In a nutshell, I feel Vancouver 2010 was a big reset, and completely swept away the momentum it had gained against the tide of 1976 and 1988 with their 1996 and 2008 bids. Toronto should not walk into this considering the 1996 and 2008 as emotive ammunition. Its starting out again from scratch, and it needs to realistically look at examples like Madrid, and think about realistic chances. It shows you can be one of the most well prepared bids in the Game, but if the timing is wrong , the timing is wrong. The voices involved in this should give the "they love us" thing a rest, its tiresome.

Like it or not, Vancouver happened and that is a big knock against this, and so it should be. Right now, I'd say Canada has been appropriately, and fairly, had a good run with its swagger of Olympic bids (1972, 1976, 1988, 1996, 2002, 2008 and 2010) in the past 50 odd years - perhaps more than any other country. However I strongly feel that Toronto getting 2024/28 is way too much of the same stuff and not really offering the Olympic movement something new and substantial. If the COC refrains from Winter, I think from 2032 onwards Toronto would have a great claim. Simply for now: too soon, wait your turn. That said, they have a right to bid.

Then what city do you think will win 2024? I mean you immediately slash the idea of Toronto. Isn't everything always too soon? Russia 2014, Spain 1992 is apparently a reason Madrid partially won't work. Turkey I feel isn't quite ready to host an Olympics. Tokyo sounds good. Paris sounds good I mean 100 years since a summer games that's not too soon and Albertville 1992 was only winter. South Africa mm possibly? I really don't think USA is going to get 2024. So Toronto, Paris and Durban/Cape Town?

Please do list more possibilities i'm sure i've missed some.

I thought Quebec City wasn't serious with the 2022 bid :o Anyways... Glad to see Toronto is warming up, it can be between US and Canada, it's already time for North America to host.

I'm not "bringing them into this" just citing factual population statistics. Considering its size, 4 Olympics for Canada in the space of 48 years is quite a lot.

So? Even the slightest familiarity with past hosts will show that the IOC doesn't care about equalizing games per population.

So? Even the slightest familiarity with past hosts will show that the IOC doesn't care about equalizing games per population.

This is one of those things where the armchair quarterbacks here tend to over-think these things. I can't imagine too many IOC voters seeing Toronto and thinking "I'm not voting for them.. the population of Canada is dis-proportionate to the number of times they've previously hosted!" So for someone to list the next 3 most populous countries after Canada is fairly irrelevant information.

The IOC is undoubtedly going to take these votes 1 at a time. If Toronto is their most compelling and most capable candidate for 2024, they'll win. If they're not (and I don't think they will be if any or all of the competition we expected submits a bid), they'll lose. But it won't be because of their population.

Obviously population isn't the "only" factor, but it's one of those many factors, nontheless. Just like how many times has a country already hosted the Olympics. And when was the last time a certain country bidding last hosted, etc etc, etc. Again, just ask China if it totally doesn't matter then why were they harping about it throughout their 2008 campaign. It's almost akin to the Rio 2016 bid team always parading around that Olympic map whereever they went, & then some people citing that Rio's location had absolutely nothing to do with their win. Uh huh, okay.

But how do you know for sure that they're wouldn't be any IOC members that wouldn't think to themselves that "Canada has hosted too many Games already in relation to their relative smaller size" (no other country of similar size, other than France in the early De Courtebin years, has accomplished a similar feat). Especially if there are larger, more compelling candidates up on offer. We're talking about individuals who can be the most fastidious bunch & not vote for someone simply bcuz some big-mouth official from a competing bid criticized their (voters) native cuisine. That's also an 'armchair quaterback' observation, bcuz you can't say for certain that aspect won't register at all with any of the voting members. Yeah, AF bringing up Kenya & Algeria is irrelevant, but then so was the other poster trying to counter by bringing up India.

Again, just look at Tokyo. They're finding themselves in a very pickle of a situation bcuz they can't seemingly find a compelling argument to win over the 2020 Games. Even though they're the largest metropolis in the world, the capital of the of a country which has the 3rd largest economy in the world & is the largest of all the 3 bid countries. So then what's the problem here? Simple - the Japanese have already hosted 3 Olympic Games already & could very likely lose to a country just over half their size that's ready to host but has never had the honor before. So Toronto would have to be up against a very weak field for 2024 in order for those issues not to be an issue. And I think that many here can concur on that.

Archived