Sign in to follow this  
dchang11

New York 2024?

What does that mean in relation to this thread?

And how long do we give it before this club tries to remove MLS' salary cap?

I wish we could stop talkign about NYC till we hear "we are bidding" or at least "we are interested".

There are so many more interesting things happening in NY at the moment like life, this all seems so unimportant to the city.

I'd love a US games or a NYC games (with conditions) but we are busy.

Edited by paul

What does that mean in relation to this thread?

And how long do we give it before this club tries to remove MLS' salary cap?

MLs salary cup sucks because a certain team can't compete with one -__-

anyways this relates to the thread because its another potential stadium for the NYC thread that can be used for the games.

• Like 1

IDK what the legacy of a NYC stadium would be. This new MLS team is the best potential legacy but they will have built a stadium for themselves well before 2024, so obviously it can't be used for the Olympics as a main stadium.

IDK what the legacy of a NYC stadium would be. This new MLS team is the best potential legacy but they will have built a stadium for themselves well before 2024, so obviously it can't be used for the Olympics as a main stadium

If they decide to bid, they might be able to get the MLS team to hold off for a couple of years.

Alternatively, the MetLife Stadium lease allows either the Jets or the Giants to opt out every five years after the 15th year. So it may be possible one of the two may get tired of sharing.

Wikipedia did list their source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetLife_Stadium but the source article at nj.com was deleted, sorry.

If they decide to bid, they might be able to get the MLS team to hold off for a couple of years.

Alternatively, the MetLife Stadium lease allows either the Jets or the Giants to opt out every five years after the 15th year. So it may be possible one of the two may get tired of sharing.

Wikipedia did list their source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetLife_Stadium but the source article at nj.com was deleted, sorry.

Well the whole original idea in 2012 was for the Jets to get their own stadium afterwards, so I don't see why they wouldn't move from Metlife in the future. Considering how pathetic the Jets are though I don't think that they deserve a brand new stadium lol.

15 years from today would be 2028

As the Metlife opened in 2010, then 15years is 2025 a year after a potential 2024 games

I wish we could stop talkign about NYC till we hear "we are bidding" or at least "we are interested".

There are so many more interesting things happening in NY at the moment like life, this all seems so unimportant to the city.

I'd love a US games or a NYC games (with conditions) but we are busy.

Like the Bruins / Rangers series?

Honestly and nothing personal against the Americans posting here, but NYC is the only American city that particularly excites me and like the idea to see the Olympics returning to the USA. Hopefully New York becomes an Olympic City (after Istanbul and any African city).

Honestly and nothing personal against the Americans posting here, but NYC is the only American city that particularly excites me and like the idea to see the Olympics returning to the USA. Hopefully New York becomes an Olympic City (after Istanbul and any African city).

I wouldn't go as far as saying NYC is the only one I'd be in favour of from the US, but it's by far the one that would most excite me as we'll.

Edited by Sir Rols

It will be an Elvis-impersonator, Cirque, CSI - themed ceremony for sure.

..."Actors" dressed up as a deck (or more) of cards, playing chips, etc...

Amazing how inevitable the topic drift is in these threads! Much to paul's chagrin, let's talk more about New York..

Major League Soccer may be backing away from building a stadium in Queens’ flagship park

The long and the short of it is that Mayor Bloomberg is still behind the plan to build an MLS Stadium in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, but now the newly formed NYCFC aren't so sure they want to build there (and it sounds like some proponents of the park aren't too upset about it).

What does this mean in terms of a hypothetical Olympic bid? In the article, there's a diagram of where the proposed MLS stadium would be. Might give some insight into how the area could be used for an Olympic stadium. If NYCFC builds elsewhere, it does leave Corona Park as a potential site for an Olympic bid. If they do build there, obviously that complicates matters. This is why I've said for a while that if someone wants to step up and be the next Dan Doctoroff, they probably need to do so sooner rather than later, especially considering what it means in terms of long-term planning.

“We are looking for a home, not simply a place to play, and our mandate now is to listen,” said MLS spokeswoman Risa Heller. “We are continuing discussions on Flushing Meadows-Corona Park at the same time as we review other possible alternatives.”

So the league itself is involved in helping locate and build the stadium? Is that normal practice?

Also worth pointing out, for those that don't know, that Manchester City play in what was the Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games stadium. If a NYC bid were to involve NYCFC, it'd be interesting to see whether Manchester City's experience has any bearing.

Or perhaps, more to the point, if a NYC bid were to emerge, Manchester City's experience may mean it's easier to get NYCFC on board than might otherwise have been the case. They might not baulk at the idea of a temporary running track.

2066_450.jpg

cityofmanchesterstadium.jpg

Edited by RobH

So the league itself is involved in helping locate and build the stadium? Is that normal practice?

Also worth pointing out, for those that don't know, that Manchester City play in what was the Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games stadium. If a NYC bid were to involve NYCFC, it'd be interesting to see whether Manchester City's experience has any bearing...

Yes

I got lost, but if New York wants to bid the main issue is the stadium... What are some of the options?