New York 2024?

Perhaps there is a reason why NYC has never hosted. Maybe it really is too great and complicated for the Olympics?

Well, for starters, IDK why some people, like LD, are so fixated to have most of the action in the heart of Manhattan. Sure, some events could be held there, but the main venues most likely not. I don't see it being much different than London's & Sydney's plan being away from their CBD's.

A similiar New York plan focused in Queens or Brooklyn, with a temporary or downsized stadium, would be no different from London's & could have that wow factor. A Manhattan plan is just not very feasible. Contrary to some peoples thinking here, there's more to New York than just Manhattan.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps there is a reason why NYC has never hosted. Maybe it really is too great and complicated for the Olympics?

The problem with New York is that the city is based around Manhattan. So you're talking about a very limited amount of space to work with there. As a result, land (actual land, as opposed to Lord David's plan to "reclaim" water") and construction is expensive and there's only so much room for urban sprawl, unlike in say, Los Angeles where there's a lot of room to spread out.

To FYI's point.. there absolutely is more to New York than Manhattan. Sure, the 2012 bid offered a Manhattan-centric plan, but there's no reason they couldn't use Flushing Meadows or another part of the city as the main hub of activity. Easier said than done of course which is probably why we haven't heard of any serious interest in the Olympics from NYC since the doomed 2012 bid.

As I've said before, I would love to see an Olympics in New York City in my lifetime. But New York, for everything IMO that makes it the greatest city in the world, simply isn't all that well-suited to host an event on the size and scale of the Olympics. Not that NYC can't handle big events as has been proven time and time again, but the specific requirements for an Olympics are generally going to be too much to fit into the city's long-term plans.

I don't know how excited the IOC will get about Games scattered all over the boroughs. Travel times could be a nightmare -- certainly for spectators, but potentially for athletes and officials as well. Olympic lanes are not going to solve those problems. I'm not sure one could even have Olympic lanes in the Big Apple.

I think Running is right. There is just so much going on in New York and it's so complicated that I think it's difficult to imagine where the Games would fit in.

As for the sneering comments about how "some people think New York is only Manhattan" -- get off your high horse. It's totally possible to hold this view in conjunction with a Games spread beyond Manhattan.

Why are you devoting so much time to defending the viability of a New York bid? You must be a hopeless optimist...... Wink, wink.

Who's says a plan would be scattered all over the boroughs, London's wasn't. Although, that didn't stop Rio from doing just that.

And I'm not the one who's being a hopeless optimist on a New York bid like some were about Chicago (which their 2016 plan wasn't all that compact, either. It was just workable. The main stadium wasn't going to be close to the OV at all) . LD is the one who brought it up, not me.

As for sneering comments & high horses - "pot is that you. Yes, kettle it is me. Oh, ok. Just couldn't really tell on that high horse you came riding in on".

Why are you devoting so much time to defending the viability of a New York bid? You must be a hopeless optimist...... Wink, wink.

This forum has a 40 page thread on Boston, a 103 page thread on Toronto, 344 pages on the United States in general, a 7 page thread on Chicago that started as an April Fools joke, 6 pages on each of Sarajevo and Belgrade, and I'm sure there's plenty more I'm not thinking of. [sarcasm]But yea, I could see how you perceive 3 whole pages on New York as "so much time to defending the viability of a New York bid"[/sarcasm]

Athens.. if you still think most of us here are complete jerks for pointing out your personality quirks to you, maybe you're right. If you're just going to throw it back at us though like that, how does that make you look? You yourself have suggested that the lack of a response could indicate interest from New York. So is it really that crazy for the rest of us to discuss the possibility?

And remember, for the longest time you were the person here who was pushing harder for a Summer Olympic bid from the United States than anyone. Now you've completely soured on that prospect. Fine, we get that, and to an extent, I understand why. But don't make the rest of us seem like we're crazy for talking about these things just because you pretty much did a complete 180 on your desire to see an American Olympic bid.

And cue the accusations from Athens that FYI are the same personality in 3.. 2.. 1...

I don't know how excited the IOC will get about Games scattered all over the boroughs. Travel times could be a nightmare -- certainly for spectators, but potentially for athletes and officials as well. Olympic lanes are not going to solve those problems. I'm not sure one could even have Olympic lanes in the Big Apple.

We *just* had a games where the main campus was in London's equivelent of Queens (or the Bronx) with events spread all over greater London. Travel wasn't a nightmare for spectators, athletes or officials.

Of course NYC could easily host the games. Sheesh.

Oh wise masters, thank you so much for "pointing out my personality quirks!" How have I survived this long without you?

Quaker and FYI, the hubris is dazzling. Cue the latest pot/kettle comments.

The whole point of my comparison was that I am not a "hopeless optimist" any more than either of you. How does it feel to have a couple of reasonable comments twisted and exaggerated beyond recognition?

If you think you know me based on these boards, think again.

Oh wise masters, thank you so much for "pointing out my personality quirks!" How have I survived this long without you?

Quaker and FYI, the hubris is dazzling. Cue the latest pot/kettle comments.

The whole point of my comparison was that I am not a "hopeless optimist" any more than either of you. How does it feel to have a couple of reasonable comments twisted and exaggerated beyond recognition?

If you think you know me based on these boards, think again.

How does it feel? Feels like you still don't know why so many of us refer to you as a hopeless optimist (at least we did until you gave up on trying to convince us the USOC's best and perhaps only course of action was a summer bid) and now it's almost like you're being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. Most of us here are merely speculating and discussing the viability of New York as an Olympic host in pretty general terms. We're not trying to argue and interpret what the complete and total lack of visible interest from New York means and trying to make some sort of flimsy argument that silence could mean a bid is forthcoming. You've done that plenty of times over to earn that "hopeless optimist" label.

And no, I don't think I know you based on this boards. But I like to think (at not just because someone else agrees with me.. as if there's only 1 person who has the same opinions of you) that we do know a little bit about Athensfan as it relates to these boards. You've become pretty predictable that way. To be fair, you sum it up pretty well yourself on your profile page.. I just have to ask, "why?" I really don't get it. Couldn't say it better myself. And now you're inserting yourself into this thread for what seems to be the sole purpose of mocking us (in response to you having been mocked) while completely failing to prove your point. For that..

willy-wonka-good-day-sir.png

Other than what can be played and squeezed in Madison Square G, the "box" sports at the Jacob Javits Convention Center (altho wouldn't they be using that too as the IBC??), I DON"T really see what of the other 'brick & mortar' venues that can be added to in Manhattan. I mean it is one of the MOST expensive pieces of real estate in the world and they are going to use it for additional stadia and arenas? Think again. Not going to happen.

Maybe they could have Weightlifting at this hall?? It's not in use in July and August.

UN+GENERAL+ASSEMBLY+HALL+2.jpg

Here is an image of a proposed 'floating stadium' for Qatar 2022. The technology exists and I wonder if this could bring the wow factor ... build the stadium which could be then towed somewhere else to a site which need a stadia but can't hold an Olympics

Flotante-Offshore-Estadio-Fotos.jpg

Here is an image of a proposed 'floating stadium' for Qatar 2022. The technology exists and I wonder if this could bring the wow factor ... build the stadium which could be then towed somewhere else to a site which need a stadia but can't hold an Olympics

How many coastal mega-cities are there in the world who would need and pay for this?? How do you tow this across an ocean?

I mean, they still haven't found any takers for the smaller London 2012 basketball arena, and ya think there's a market for this? :blink:

Other than what can be played and squeezed in Madison Square G, the "box" sports at the Jacob Javits Convention Center (altho wouldn't they be using that too as the IBC??), I DON"T really see what of the other 'brick & mortar' venues that can be added to in Manhattan. I mean it is one of the MOST expensive pieces of real estate in the world and they are going to use it for additional stadia and arenas? Think again. Not going to happen.

Maybe they could have Weightlifting at this hall?? It's not in use in July and August.

UN+GENERAL+ASSEMBLY+HALL+2.jpg

LOL

My main issue is that I can't figure out where they would put the athletes' village, media center and main stadium. I would think that they would all need to be somewhat close to each other (at least the OV and stadium).

My main issue is that I can't figure out where they would put the athletes' village, media center and main stadium. I would think that they would all need to be somewhat close to each other (at least the OV and stadium).

And there's the rub.

Honestly, I think that stuff is much easy compared to the stadium issue. Once you figure out where the stadium goes, you build the village nearby. Unlike many place, New York can always absorb more housing, media space, etc.

Archived