Glitches during Olympic ceremonies

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the olympic casting couch

Whether it was right for the occasion is debatable (just as any aspect of any ceremony is) but there's no shame on the London organisers at all. Ali was in London anyway that week doing a charity even

I thought the whole Frankie and June segment was a glitch.....

9 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Huh.  Ric Birch never mentioned those dress rehearsal glitches in his book -- understandably.  It was a super-complicated show

There was a special on Channel 7 last night showing a replay of the Ceremony interviews of performers from that evening. 

Having watched the behind the scenes overview of the Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony, I actually liked the design of the stadium back then compared to now. 

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/44/ea/5044ea68a0bb29db59037f3a937652cc.png

• Like 1
17 hours ago, PikyoK said:

Having watched the behind the scenes overview of the Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony, I actually liked the design of the stadium back then compared to now. 

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/44/ea/5044ea68a0bb29db59037f3a937652cc.png

I find it funny looking at that stadium- it doesnt look THAT big- but it held 115,000! Looks smaller than the LA Colliseum or Birds Nest for example, but held a lot more people. Was an amazing venue during the Games...

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 4:57 AM, LatinXTC said:

In the beginning of the Sydney closing ceremony someone drives onto the field in a golf cart, not sure if that was intentional. But that guy ran into a speaker that completely screwed up the sound system for every performance later in the ceremony.

The opening segment of the Sydney Closing Ceremony was the guy in the golf cart riding all over the place and “causing apparent mahem”, Benny Hil style with performers chasing him everywhere.  The crash he had into the fake stage was a planned comedic stunt. The stadium’s sound system was not damaged at all.  The whole thing was planned. The golf cart clown was the segment.

Sydney 2000 First Dress Rehearsal - Heroes fabric rips in half

Not sure if this has been mentioned already,  but at the First Sydney Opening Ceremony Dress Rehearsal on Sat 9 September 2000, the huge white fabric on to which were shone athlete projections during ‘Heroes Live Forever’ (Vanessa Amoroso) ripped completely in half when it got caught on something as it was passed over the first grandstand balcony. The leading separated piece continued on its way.

Athens 2004 OC Dress Rehearsal - crazy woman attacks DJ Tiesto

Also at the Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony  Dress Rehearsal, a mentally un-balanced adult woman ran screaming very loudly up up to DJ Tiesto and physically attacked and punched him during the parade of nations (school kids playing athletes) and a Greek volunteer with me said that she was screaming “Devil Music, Devil Music”.   I was sitting nearby a few rows back with other volunteers and it took ages for people to react and security  guards to arrive and restrain her. It was never reported in the media and to this day I don’t know how a lid was kept on it.

Not a glitch, but Bjork’s blue dress later that night fanned out beautifully without any problem over the heads of the school kids playing the athletes. Yes, it was during the actual OC that it didn’t work as rehearsed.

• Like 1
On 8/22/2020 at 5:51 AM, AustralianFan said:

Athens 2004 OC Dress Rehearsal - crazy woman attacks DJ Tiesto

Also at the Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony  Dress Rehearsal, a mentally un-balanced adult woman ran screaming very loudly up up to DJ Tiesto and physically attacked and punched him during the parade of nations (school kids playing athletes) and a Greek volunteer with me said that she was screaming “Devil Music, Devil Music”.   I was sitting nearby a few rows back with other volunteers and it took ages for people to react and security  guards to arrive and restrain her. It was never reported in the media and to this day I don’t know how a lid was kept on it.

Not a glitch, but Bjork’s blue dress later that night fanned out beautifully without any problem over the heads of the school kids playing the athletes. Yes, it was during the actual OC that it didn’t work as rehearsed.

:lol:   I guess Athens 2004 can now be looked back on as the Games of the Crazies. Remember this? 

See the source image

I tell you, the Olympic Games can drive some people crazy. 

Old Greek saying: those whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad/crazy!!  :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV
xx
2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

:lol:   I guess Athens 2004 can now be looked back on as the Games of the Crazies. Remember this? 

See the source image

I tell you, the Olympic Games can drive some people crazy. 

Old Greek saying: those whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad/crazy!!  :lol:

Yes I remember that incident.  I feel sorry for the Brazilian runner Vanderlei de Lima who had a 30 second lead with about 6 kms or so to go in the race when this serial pest, a defrocked Irish priest, attacked him.  Vanderlei ended up finishing with the bronze and later said he could not regain his running rythmn to maintain his lead.  Actually today, concidentally 26 August, is 16 years to the day since this incident on 26 August 2004.

The guy who attacked him was crazy long before the Olympics.  The year before in 2003, the serial pest had stood in the middle of the British F1 Grand Prix race the year before for 20 seconds with cars swerving around him.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember that someone from this board who was among the audience told that they were instructed before the ceremony to switch the flashlights on gradually. You can also recognise that by the projection on the stadium's floor around k.d. Lang - the lights slowly extended from her place in the middle towards the edges of the infield and the stands. 

Its not too talked because in the end nothing bad happened, thankfully. But russian hackers attempted to disrupt the PC2018 opening as revenge for the ban against their country because of doping. While some computers were hacked, thankfully the show was not disrupted and none of us learned about it until later. With Russia being banned once more for Tokyo 2020, I wonder if the hackers will try to pull the same move again (that, if we ever get the Tokyo games :()

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/25/17050868/winter-olympics-2018-russia-north-korea-cyberattack-opening-ceremonies