Glitches during Olympic ceremonies

I thought the whole Frankie and June segment was a glitch.....

This. I absolutely despised this segment.

Btw do we have to stick with Olympic ceremonies or we can also post glitches from other sport events ceremonies as well?

Dunno if this was posted before but here's a glitch from Sarajevo 1984

Go at 2:40. They hoisted the flag upside down by accident. Thankfully due to the lack of wind it didn't looked too obvious, and was fixed later on.

Dunno if this was posted before but here's a glitch from Sarajevo 1984

Go at 2:40. They hoisted the flag upside down by accident. Thankfully due to the lack of wind it didn't looked too obvious, and was fixed later on.

Good catch, Jose. I'm sure it was a team of Aussies, Kiwis, Brazilians and South Africans who hoisted that flag upside down!! :lol::lol:

At 2:08, look lower right hand corner of the screen...a volunteer is picking up horse mierde with his BARE hands!! Yuck!! And then the camera realizing it had 'picked up' an awkward moment, abruptly cuts to another shot. The guy could've at least used gloves!!

Are you sure? I can't recognise anything even close to horse poop lying there. And why should there be poop lying in front of the horses instead of behind them? Additionally: Shortly before they cut to another shot, it even appeared as if that volunteer pulled a string or something. So, to me it rather looks like he was fixing something on that "outback" tarpaulin covering the infield or doing some other fixes.

Are you sure? I can't recognise anything even close to horse poop lying there. And why should there be poop lying in front of the horses instead of behind them? Additionally: Shortly before they cut to another shot, it even appeared as if that volunteer pulled a string or something. So, to me it rather looks like he was fixing something on that "outback" tarpaulin covering the infield or doing some other fixes.

It's one of those "Rashomon" things from David Atkins. It's open to the viewer's interpretation! :lol: As for it being in front of one horse...it doesn't necessarily belong to that horse. The horses were all in motion. It could've been another horse's before they all got to their stationary spot for the nat'l anthem.

Cortina d'Ampezzo 1956

• Opening ceremony: The final torchbearer trips over a cable on his way to the cauldron and falls.

Lol. This is my favorite, I always smiled when I watched the footage. Could you tell me the examples of the failed pronunciation of the London 2012 female announcer?

U're right. I looked at it again...and indeed he was pulling a string or something. Altho what could that have been because the horses were standing 2 or 3 lanes over from the infield tarp; and going by 1996, they used velcro all around the infield tarp to keep it in place. It's a good thing the whole tarp didn't unravel fully when the well-intentioned volunteer pulled that string. :lol: Hey, there's a Bjork-deCouffle-Papaioannou-type of an idea for a ceremony: a woven map of the world and then 7 people on the edges (representing the 7 continents) start pulling on threads, and the whole 'world' unravels and reveals a...???

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I found another two :

Albertvile 1992 : If I'm not mistaken, the cauldron was lit before the the flame from the Olympic torch touch the cauldron

Beijing 2008 : Some of the drums (that used in the countdown) didn't light at the correct timing

Beijing 2008 : Some of the drums (that used in the countdown) didn't light at the correct timing

That's too 'petty' to fault. With some 2,006 props like that, u are bound to have a few that malfunction. Just like if you had 1,000 performers (who are ALL volunteers and aren't paid professionals), you will always have a few not kicking or clapping or turning in PERFECT unison with the others. I am sure the 120 horses used in Sydney's opening didn't exactly trot or didn't poop at all the same time. It's just the law of averages.

I have a question about Barcelona 92.

The king and queen enter during the playing of the anthem of Catalonia. Was this planned? A genuine mistake? Or did they 'accidentally' enter then to draw attention away from the anthem?

Probably was intentional to signify that the Royal Family recognized Catalunya's autonomous standing in contemporary Spain -- plus, remember that their son-in-law (or is it the daughter-in-law?) is a Catalan.

I was thinking it was odd if they wanted to show respect to arrive as it is playing - surely that is downplaying Catalonia's status and disrespectful. But according to some comments below the YouTube clip the arrival was timed like that in order to avoid the king being booed as people wouldn't boo over the anthem...

The son-in-law is half Belgian half Basque but lived in Barcelona - but they married only in 1997, although in Barcelona.

I was thinking it was odd if they wanted to show respect to arrive as it is playing - surely that is downplaying Catalonia's status and disrespectful. But according to some comments below the YouTube clip the arrival was timed like that in order to avoid the king being booed as people wouldn't boo over the anthem...

That's the most sensible explanation. God, I didn't even notice that...and I was there. I was looking for Fidel Castro thru my binoculars. Seems like such a long time ago now. (And we had come from a high of the Expo in Sevilla -- my first World's Fair.)

^^ Yeah, I heard the organizers did that in purpose, since the King is hated a lot in Catalonia (I'm half catalonian and I also despise him, kinda like how Belgium's king is hated by Flanders) so they played the anthem of Catalonia in purpose during his entrance so he wouldn't be booed. They also repeated the same thing in the closing ceremony.

Catalonia imposed some terms to the rest of Spain when they hosted the games and among those were to raise the catalonian flag and consider catalan as an official language of the games besides spanish, english and french.

Catalonia imposed some terms to the rest of Spain when they hosted the games and among those were to raise the catalonian flag and consider catalan as an official language of the games besides spanish, english and french.

It was requested of the IOC and since El Fascisto Catalenyo was El Jefe Olimpico, how could the Executive Committee say no to their boss??

At least Jacques Delors didn't get his way - he suggested and tried to get the 1992 games conducted under the EC flag.

There was a very heavy hint of that though. Didn't check on the telecast though, and NBC might've cut away already...but when they were doing those 12 castellers (the human towers), there were also 12 corresponding Stars (from the EC flag) formed in the audience section with the glow-sticks. Right after that, they called the OC to an end...and everybody started to leave; and most everyone was throwing the spent glow sticks at the track. It was approaching midnight by then.

And what was truly ironic was that only 12 years before in Moscow, about 15 nations marched in under the neutral Olympic flag. In Barcelona, since the old USSR had fallen (of course we know only in name), and most of the other ex-Soviet republics (save the 3 Baltic states) had yet to form their separate Olympic committees, they all marched under the Unified Team flag--thus almost a complete about-face from the Entrance of the Nations in Moscow!! (It may also have started in Albertville...don't have the time to doublecheck it.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

^^ Yeah, I heard the organizers did that in purpose, since the King is hated a lot in Catalonia (I'm half catalonian and I also despise him, kinda like how Belgium's king is hated by Flanders) so they played the anthem of Catalonia in purpose during his entrance so he wouldn't be booed. They also repeated the same thing in the closing ceremony.

And besides, Juan Carlos also tried (and succeeded) to charm the Catalonians by starting his opening address with the Catalan words "Benvinguts tots a Barcelona" (Everybody welcome to Barcelona).

But I don't quite agree with the notion that the mood against Juan Carlos (at least on that very day) was hostile in Barcelona. Listen how the audience reacts when Juan Antonio Samaranch mentions Juan Carlos' name when he asks him to declare the Games open (go to 8:32):

That doesn't sound hostile at all to me.

• 6 months later...

Okay, my top five glitches of the more recent games.

5. Bjork's wardrobe malfunction in Torino.

4. Cathy Freeman left standing under a cold shower when Sydney's cauldron stalled.

3. Gretsky getting to experience the same feeling when he couldn't get a rise from the cauldron in Vancouver.

2. The Russkis inability to count rings - first six in the fountain and now four in the ceremony.

1. Korean barbeque in Seoul! Taste's just like chicken! Yum!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Okay, my top five glitches of the more recent games.

5. Bjork's wardrobe malfunction in Torino.

4. Cathy Freeman left standing under a cold shower when Sydney's cauldron stalled.

3. Gretsky getting to experience the same feeling when he couldn't get a rise from the cauldron in Vancouver.

2. The Russkis inability to count rings - first six in the fountain and now four in the ceremony.

1. Korean barbeque in Seoul! Taste's just like chicken! Yum!

Wasn't it at Athens 2004 when Bjork's dress unfurling malfunctioned?

In Sydney, Cathy stepped out from under the streaming water beneath the cauldron above her as planned very quickly after lighting it at water level.

It was after she was out of the drop zone and after the scheduled pause in the cauldron's journey, now suspended above the pool, that the Cauldron stalled for 3.5 minutes on stage 2 of its journey up the stadium tracks that Cathy eventually was told to go down the stairs and join the other Final torchbearers that a jacket was put around her by one of the girls.