Toulouse 2022

Toulouse is a beautiful city, keeping a charm for an old city. It's an interesting project, but I have some doubts for this:

-Will the French NOC want to compete for this "lesser" games than the Big one -Summer Olympic Games-?

-Like baron said, how good is the bid technically?

• 2 weeks later...

Bienvenue, Saintmichel.

Nice page there!!

But how good is the bid technically??

Would a 3rd $90 million luge-bobsled track make economic sense for France??

And will the IOC be willing to give France a 4th Winter Games??

I think the only active bobsleigh is La Plagne with Alps d'Huez no longer active.

Like with Germany any new run would be in a different part of the country. They'd also require a new Ski Jumping facility. However Toulouse is big enough to make use of the indoor facilities

Well, go for it, France... if you're happy for Paris to not see its elusive third summer Games until the 2040's.

That said, the French would be crazy to go for a fourth Winter Games after 1924, given that Paris is a city in waiting as the site of the next Western European Summer Olympics.. stuff Madrid, and Germany can have 2022 in Munich.. Paris *has* to be next, it would be absurd for it not to be.

I think Rome would be a nice consolation if it's not Paris.

Yeah, I'd agree another Rome Olympics would be supremely spectacular and epic, although I feel personally that the weight of time and influence is more on the side of Paris. Remembering that Italy last had the Olympics only in 2006, and France not since 1992. As for the respective cities, Paris would have waited now at least a century - Rome only since 1960.

Aside from these obvious factors, I think if Istanbul wins 2020, the Mediterranean Summer Olympics would have been about done to death after Barcelona, Athens and Istanbul... If Istanbul 2020 happens, I think Paris in 2024/28/32 would be a nice contrast. Also with London, I feel that Paris and London's rivalry has somewhat complimented the progress of the two cities, I think it would feel strange to go decades after the London Olympics without a Paris Olympics, somewhat like ying and yang.

I've said it before, but personally I'd most like to see the US/South Africa/France host 2024/2028/2032 in any order.

Yeah, I'd agree another Rome Olympics would be supremely spectacular and epic, although I feel personally that the weight of time and influence is more on the side of Paris. Remembering that Italy last had the Olympics only in 2006, and France not since 1992. As for the respective cities, Paris would have waited now at least a century - Rome only since 1960.

I agree with this. But OTHO, Italy has 4 IOC members, (the most of any nation, other than Switzerland) & one of them is a Vice President & very influential Mario Pescante. And he was extremely disappointed when Rome 2020 was withdrawn by the Italian government. But if Rome does come back for 2024, I can easily see them give Paris a good run for their money.

I agree with this. But OTHO, Italy has 4 IOC members, (the most of any nation, other than Switzerland) & one of them is a Vice President & very influential Mario Pescante. And he was extremely disappointed when Rome 2020 was withdrawn by the Italian government. But if Rome does come back for 2024, I can easily see them give Paris a good run for their money.

Of course, no doubt Rome will make things infinitely harder for a Paris bid, but I think it'll be no.2 dog, marginally.

Archived