Doping Trial Shouldn't Penalize Madrid 2020 - Bid Head

Have you ever heard an Olympic gold medallist telling IOC members they shouldn't vote for a particular bid before? It might only be one medallist but it's an extraordinary thing for an athlete to say. Madrid 2020 has to try to stop this enveloping their bid. I'm not sure how, but it needs to try.

And why does it matter where she's from? :rolleyes:

Edited by RobH

Rob, I like and respect Matthew Pinsent, but one tweet isn't going to bring Madrid 2020 to their knees. The ruling itself is the problem. Whether or not a single athlete (or more) voices disappointment, the ruling is wrong and should seriously worry the IOC.

Rob, I like and respect Matthew Pinsent, but one tweet isn't going to bring Madrid 2020 to their knees.

I'm not talking about Pinsent although he did tweet, I'm talking about Nicole Cooke's extraordinary public statement today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22392989

Of course one tweet or even one statement's not going to bring the bid to its knees. But it's hard to believe this is not the tip of an iceberg as far as many athletes are concerned. This feels extremely serious for Madrid, as if their chances weren't slim enough already.

I'm not talking about Pinsent although he did tweet, I'm talking about Nicole Cooke's extraordinary public statement today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22392989

Of course one tweet or even one statement's not going to bring the bid to its knees. But it's hard to believe this is not the tip of an iceberg as far as many athletes are concerned. This feels extremely serious for Madrid, as if their chances weren't slim enough already.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm sorry I misunderstood you.

As I said in the last post, I still think the biggest issue is the decision itself. The fact that the media is giving Cooke a platform is significant too though. I don't think the IOC needed any prodding to be unhappy with this ruling, but if there is a groundswell of anger from multiple athletes, it may become politically impossible for the IOC to vote for Madrid. So far that hasn't happened though.

Is there any chance this decision might be overturned?

Nadal also spoke against the controversial decision on the Puerta issue. This is very serious and like I said before, this screwed Madrid already low chances of winning the games.

Also that article oakydoky posted above shows that in Turkey at least they take these things more seriously and are ready to punish any who's involved in doping. I hope I could say the same for Spain.