PyeongChang 2018 Introduces New Olympic Winter Games Emblem

GBModerator

The same could be said for the London, Vancouver, Barcelona, Montreal and Tokyo 64 logos, which were all minimal and basic designs in their own way. PC is no different - it's just aimed at the home crowd, which why there is this instant dismissive attitude on here. Give it time.

Also Sydney's logo wasn't all that subtexty - it was pretty upfront. At first look, it had the Barcelona-esque athlete running with the torch, but within this you have boomerangs as the limbs of the athlete, a relevant, and perhaps corny reference to the Indigenous Australian hunting weapon, and in some way symbolic of the Olympics "coming back" to Australia, like a boomerang. On top of this is the Olympic flame from the runners torch, making the outline of the Opera House - a national icon. The colours are blood orange, yellow and blue - representing the desert centre of Australia, the beaches and the ocean that surrounds us. To top it off is the heavily stylised "Sydney 2000" freehand font, which complimented the carefree style of the logo perfectly. And that is pretty much all it was. I think it balanced the international audience appeal, without totally giving the Australian audience cultural cringe.

Aussie bias aside, I think it captured Sydney and Australia brilliantly at the turn of the millennium.

I think that's the issue.. simplistic is 1 thing, but I bet a lot of folks here had the same reaction as I did when the logo was revealed. "That's it? That's all there is?" Look at the long description of Sydney's logo you were able to offer. I don't imagine Koreans being able to do the same with their logo and getting into all the subtleties behind it. And non-Koreans probably look at it as a bad stick figure version of what we presume the real logo would be. Again, that's my issue with it. Not that it's basic or minimalist, but it just leaves you thinking there's more to it, but there isn't.

At least the Olympic Rings have some sort of design to them that flow together nicely. This "logo" just looks like a couple of symbols on a couple of keys on a computer keyboard. How exciting.

As opposed to the Olympics Rings which are just 5 skinny circles? How exciting.

I'm pretty sure the French flag isn't too hard to draw either, though somehow that seems to remain a timeless powerful symbol.

The one good thing I can say about the logo is that it definitely seems Korean. I did see the logo video.. still not convinced that will work so well as far as branding is concerned. That it's just these basic linear Olympic colored sticks as you put it, I'm not sure how much you can do with that, especially in 3D applications. It's too flat and simple to do much with. With Sochi's logo you wouldn't even try it. With London's logo, at least you could emboss it. But this.. I don't know how well it can be integrated.

I disagree. Since you saw the video, you would've noticed the 3-D skates icon, which was created when the linear sticks were re-configured. What you wouldn't know is the skates were actually created using 2 letters of the Korean alphabet, the "N" and the "Yo" vowel. And to turn it into 3-D? I thought it was really clever. The potential for application is boundless- because the base is so basic.

Right now I'm waiting for a delayed interstate flight (Jetstar!) - but I've spent the past hour considering all Olympic logos in the context of when was revealed yesterday, and I've come up with this *personal* list. I'd say ALL the 15 logos I'd put on this list are GREAT in their own ways, some more so than others. Pretty much anything I've left off I couldn't really care for.

01. TOKYO 1964

02. BARCELONA 1992

03. SYDNEY 2000

04. LOS ANGELES 1984

05. SQUAW VALLEY 1960

06. MEXICO CITY 1968

07. RIO 2016

08. ATLANTA 1996

09. MUNICH 1972

10. ATHENS 2004

11. PYEONGCHANG 2018

12. SAPPORO 1972

13. LONDON 2012

14. VANCOUVER 2010

15. SOCHI 2014

I can't believe its just my and my old friend Oakydoky who are left defending it. It is nice to see eye to eye on some things.

U sure u 2 guys aren't cross-eyed?? :blink:

Right now I'm waiting for a delayed interstate flight (Jetstar!) - but I've spent the past hour considering all Olympic logos in the context of when was revealed yesterday, and I've come up with this *personal* list. I'd say ALL the 15 logos I'd put on this list are GREAT in their own ways, some more so than others. Pretty much anything I've left off I couldn't really care for.

01. TOKYO 1964

02. BARCELONA 1992

03. SYDNEY 2000

04. LOS ANGELES 1984

05. SQUAW VALLEY 1960

06. MEXICO CITY 1968

07. RIO 2016

08. ATLANTA 1996

09. MUNICH 1972

10. ATHENS 2004

11. PYEONGCHANG 2018

12. SAPPORO 1972

13. LONDON 2012

14. VANCOUVER 2010

15. SOCHI 2014

Oh, so you rank it as #11. That makes more sense than the praises u've heaped on it. It is just a totally forgettable amateurish piece.

To me, Barcelona, Sydney and Beijing are all the same -- a running, leaping athlete. Quite un-original.

I pretty sure the naysayers here would hate the Olympic Rings logo if seeing it for the first time.

At least the olympic rings have a bit more brightcolor, looking at this logo makes me tired.

So is it a star above a damaged parthenon? Kind of looks like the parthenon minus a few pillars

Sydney's wasn't all that complex either.

Really? Sydneys is by far one of my favorites! It may not have alot of detail but each image is special and helps contribute to the bigger image. I truly don't understand the star above a house thing? I much prefer the colourful bid logo.

At least the olympic rings have a bit more brightcolor, looking at this logo makes me tired.

Not according to Gangwon. According to him, they're nothing more than "just 5 skinny circles" that apparently mean nothing, just like the French flag. At least those 'skinny circles' are coveted by so many cities around the world, including PyeongChang which painstankenly tried 3 straight times to get those darn anorexic-looking things.

So is it a star above a damaged parthenon? Kind of looks like the parthenon minus a few pillars

Maybe the star should've been placed inside the damaged Parthenon. Maybe then it could've had 'just' a little a more appeal.

Not according to Gangwon. According to him, they're nothing more than "just 5 skinny circles" that apparently mean nothing, just like the French flag. At least those 'skinny circles' are coveted by so many cities around the world, including PyeongChang which painstankenly tried 3 straight times to get those darn anorexic-looking things.

Straw man. Dun matter how much people want the Olympics, they'd still want it even if the logo was just 1 skinny circle.

Pretty dodgy but made on paint. Took me 5-10 mins tops. I'll sell for hmm $10.

22222_zps5c3aed5a.png

It's hardly an insult that the logo can be drawn on MS Paint within the time it takes to microwave a frozen pizza pocket.

Straw man. Dun matter how much people want the Olympics, they'd still want it even if the logo was just 1 skinny circle.

Really?! I'm not the one that grapsed the straw & made that poor attempt of a comparison. Besides, you said yourself that you weren't too crazy with the logo yourself, tbw. Do I have to like it?

At least I never said that PyeongChang would be the biggest mistake that the IOC would ever make, or that it's some hole-in-the-wall out in the middle of nowhere & doesn't deserve to host, like some other people here did. I just don't like the fricken logo! So sue me, why don't you! :P

Really?! I'm not the one that grapsed the straw & made that poor attempt of a comparison. Besides, you said yourself that you weren't too crazy with the logo yourself, tbw. Do I have to like it?

At least I never said that PyeongChang would be the biggest mistake that the IOC would ever make, or that it's some hole-in-the-wall out in the middle of nowhere & doesn't deserve to host, like some other people here did. I just don't like the fricken logo! So sue me, why don't you! :P

I don't care either way, I'm just egging you on. Don't get your panties in a bunch ;)

lol Sydney at #3 it too wasn't good.

Maybe we are stuck with bad logos.

Maybe the bid committee should come to us. Paul's and Davey's designs were very good (and anyone else I missed).

I think the Sydney logo jumps off the screen when you look at the history of logos in chronological order. It's so joyful, without the seriousness of logos like Atlanta or Lillehammer.

Anyway, that is my personal opinion based on how I felt 2018 fits into the scheme of things, for me.

A brand is all about feelings and emotion and the emblem is about the kind of feelings and emotions the brand manager (or OCOG) is trying to create expressed through design.

Munich 1972 wanted to create a feeling of lightness and joy that was the opposite of Berlin 1936, so they created an emblem that radiated with a feeling of light and movement.

Barcelona 1992 wanted to the Olympics to express excitement, joy and passion in a city that was about to take the world stage, so they chose an emblem that was splashy and colourful.

Sydney 2000 wanted to their games to be about the athlete, so they created an emblem that was an athlete formed from Australian shapes and colour.

Beijing 2008 wanted their games to say to the world that China had arrived, so they chose a logo that was a modern take on an ancient Chinese art.

Vancouver 2010 wanted to create a feeling of warmth and welcome, so they opted for an emblem that was colourful and had a smile.

London 2012 wanted to be edgy, different and intense, so they created a design that was jagged and dissonant.

But with this emblem? I don't know what PyeongChang is trying to say or the feeling they are trying to create. It just comes across as bored and uninterested. Like 'meh, why bother' - which I don't think they mean because they've been fighting to get to this point for over a decade.

Well, i don't know about everyone else, but I'm just glad the joke was funny enough to be told twice. :)

Well, I wanted to reach twice the audience (even tho I am aware there is a sizable X-over segment).

But even I, stepping back and pushing modesty aside, thot it was a particularly clever and incisive quip!!

Thank u, Ty. Hold the applause pls. ;)

Archived