Sign in to follow this  
runningrings

Olympic bid decisions - the good, the bad... the fails.

And like Dick Pound mentioned about the decision: "the IOC had to make a choice, of whether we wanted to look back, or look forward for the Centennial. We decided to go forward". :-P

Dick Pound is such a tool. In trying to be clever, he says some of the stupidest things

How was that being "stupid". Dick Pound is mostly known for being his non-PC self. If wanted to take a jab, he would've said something more "clever" than that.

Besides, it's clear that Manchester & Belgrade were never really any strong contenders. And Athens really had a dubious cloud over them. Atlanta 1996, much like London 2012, lobbied 'cleverly' & lobbied hard. And that's what swung it their way.

Dick Pound is such a tool. In trying to be clever, he says some of the stupidest things

"Stupid" is an understatement... Pound is famous for his provocative cynicism...

Do I understand you correctly: You draw a line between the Salt Lake bribery scandal and the fact that South Africa spent the whole night covering their loss? That would be hardly possible, because as you mentioned, the Salt Lake bribery scandal was uncovered three years after Salt Lake becoming the 2002 host city, i.e. in December 1998. The election of Athens as 2004 host took place already in September 1997, however. So the defeated competitors of Athens can't have known about the Salt Lake bribery.

LOL!!! :lol:

When Paris failed to get the 2012 bid against London in the final vote. Yeah, as many mentioned here, it was heartbreaking and sad for such a great city. No doubt it would've make a great Olympics if it was held there last year. In fact, high hopes for Paris to get the 2012 bid was why France Televisions struck a deal to allow TF1 to broadcast both ceremonies.

CBC covers the disappointing Toronto 2008 bid loss. Of course, it did pave the way for Vancouver get 2010 on widely-seen weak field there. Considering then-Mayor Mel Lastman was running a multicultural city, making ill-advised comments about supposedly uncivilized Africans that were stereotypical hurt them,I think. Would Canadians be pumped up for the Summer Olympics with its greater pagentry and prestige and more sports? Probrably if Canada had more and varied medal contenders in much of the sports. Then again, Canada has a much proven and successful pedigree in the Winter Olympics with sports Canadians are known world-beaters in, even now. Toronto does have a lot going for it like that multiculturalism and internationalism--and have residents there who can support alligences with other nations too and support sports at venues--that would make it a very worthy Summer Olympics host. The 2015 Pan Am Games is an important step in that.

Manchester had already been eliminated by the time Samaranch even opened the envelope. So you guys should've already known that Manchester had lost, or did they not announce who was eliminated after each round back then.

Until 2009, there were no elimination announcements every minute when we have at least 4 cities fighting for the same objective, and yes, it's mentioned in the charter

Another bad decision from the IOC was the election of Denver.

And there should be a reason why it went to Innsbruck instead. (Primary reason: Nobody's mature, BISHI!)

I'm sorry to all the Toronto 2008 supporters, but your bid, like all other 2008 bids, was dashed the second Beijing announced their intentions to bid. Sometimes, it is your moment and sometimes it isn't and for the 2008 Games, the IOC was going to throw every bid under the bus, no matter how sound, compact or appealing, so they could throw China a bone.

I often think it is harder for a city that comes in second to have to sit through the process than one that eliminated early. Must be so emotionally draining to come so close and then have to watch your opponent celebrate. I think back to Singapore in 2005. Deflated Paris 2012 had to sit there, hopes dashed and weeping, while right next to them, elated London 2012 was jumping up and down, screaming for joy. Moscow, New York and Madrid had already licked (and liquored up) their wounds for a while before that, so their tension was long gone.

With regards to the 1996 race (in 1990) some people seem to be ignoring the levels of arrogance demonstrated by the Athens bidding team. They considered themselves as almost having a 'God-given right' to stage the Games in 1996 as it was the Centennial edition.

I definitely recall this being given as a prime reason why the IOC had opted for Atlanta rather than Athens.

How was that being "stupid". Dick Pound is mostly known for being his non-PC self. If wanted to take a jab, he would've said something more "clever" than that.

Besides, it's clear that Manchester & Belgrade were never really any strong contenders. And Athens really had a dubious cloud over them. Atlanta 1996, much like London 2012, lobbied 'cleverly' & lobbied hard. And that's what swung it their way.

In my view (and the view of a Swiss member of the IOC who I once met!) London won for three main reasons:

(i) Seb Coe's leadership of the bid team. The fact of the matter was that most members of the IOC 'just trusted him.'

(ii) The presence (and lobbying ability) of Tony Blair and, indeed, of his wife, Cherie and

(iii) London's appeal was better than Paris' on the day. This was to do with the presentations and the fact that Paris was regarded by some (including by the Swiss IOC representative) as an 'arrogant bid.'

• Like 2

In my view (and the view of a Swiss member of the IOC who I once met!) London won for three main reasons:

(i) Seb Coe's leadership of the bid team. The fact of the matter was that most members of the IOC 'just trusted him.'

(ii) The presence (and lobbying ability) of Tony Blair and, indeed, of his wife, Cherie and

(iii) London's appeal was better than Paris' on the day. This was to do with the presentations and the fact that Paris was regarded by some (including by the Swiss IOC representative) as an 'arrogant bid.'

Interesting insight, thanks.

I fail to see how, by any stretch of the imagination, the French bid could have been construed as being "arrogant".

The bidding team went out of their way not to look or sound overly complacent or self-satisfied.

So much so that the bid came across as being too low key or laid back for the likes of some ioc members.

These incessant accusations of "arrogance" being levelled at the French whatever they do or don't do, say or don't say, probably explains why we won't be seeing a French bid for 2024, 2028 or any time this side of 2040.......

• Like 2

These incessant accusations of "arrogance" being levelled at the French whatever they do or don't do, say or don't say, probably explains why we won't be seeing a French bid for 2024, 2028 or any time this side of 2040.......

Have to agree with this. Other than Jacques Chirac's Faux-paux caught off the record, I don't recall the French being 'arrogant' with their 2012 bid. It's been discussed before that it was their lack of "hard" lobbying (unlike London 2012), which as you said, bcuz they were trying to be low-key so as not to be percieved abrasive, is what cost them the Games. Though I hope the French, along with the Italians, do indeed bid for 2024.

• Like 1

While the 2012 race was the first I closely paid attention to (and really sparked my interest in this area), I dont recall the Paris bid seeming arrogant, either.

The odd thing about that race was that I couldn't decide if I wanted Paris or London to host more. I leaned to Paris because it had simply been a longer time between SOGs, but then Grenoble and Albertville would make want London more, but then as an Australian I related to the idea of a London Games more than Paris. In the end, the second London was announced, I knew that I was pleased with the outcome, and think it was the better option for 2012 over Paris. As an amateur viewer, I remember having this strange idea that NYC, Madrid or Moscow could win as 'third' option that could break the obvious awkward tension mounting between the Anglo-Franco rivals - similar to the circumstances in which Montreal won the 1976 Games from Cold War rivals Moscow and Los Angeles.

Hopefully Madrid doesn't do this in September, as I fear they might.

Edited by runningrings

I fail to see how, by any stretch of the imagination, the French bid could have been construed as being "arrogant".

The bidding team went out of their way not to look or sound overly complacent or self-satisfied.

So much so that the bid came across as being too low key or laid back for the likes of some ioc members.

There is an element of 'shooting the messenger' in your response to my post.

All I was relating were the views of one member of the IOC who I once happened to get the opportunity to ask.

I can't pretend to know this person well nor, indeed, am I likely to get the opportunity to meet them again but the single most important factor, he thought, in Paris' loss of 2012 was that they were an 'arrogant' bid team who hadn't done much 'groundwork' was the word that he used.

He also said that a lot of other IOC members who he had spoken to felt that London had worked exceptionally hard and that Paris had breezed in and assumed that the Games was theirs.

Now put your guns away and don't 'shoot the messenger' again.

Have to agree with this. Other than Jacques Chirac's Faux-paux caught off the record, I don't recall the French being 'arrogant' with their 2012 bid. It's been discussed before that it was their lack of "hard" lobbying (unlike London 2012), which as you said, bcuz they were trying to be low-key so as not to be percieved abrasive, is what cost them the Games. Though I hope the French, along with the Italians, do indeed bid for 2024.

I guess it has to do with London's legacy of the East end and the Olympic Park. Paris 2012 offered many temporary "pavilions" as their solution to host the many indoor sports.

London offered some temporary arenas, then refined their concept post bid to use much cheaper existing venues hosting several sports.

London had a clearer legacy plan.

^Yeah, I agree that London's East End project was a big selling point, moreso than the 'youth' angle, imho. Though that could've been part of the lobbying. And the vote was so close, that sometimes I wonder if it was really they're lobbying, the ambitious project, or a combination of both that managed to topple it their way.

^Yeah, I agree that London's East End project was a big selling point, moreso than the 'youth' angle, imho. Though that could've been part of the lobbying. And the vote was so close, that sometimes I wonder if it was really they're lobbying, the ambitious project, or a combination of both that managed to topple it their way.

It's really your friends and who will stick with you to the end. Had 3 votes flipped, it would've been Paris; but apparently, London had 3 more friends than Paris on that particular day in Singapore. I wonder though if the vote had been held in say, a Francophone city like Hanoi, Montreal or Rabat, if it would've gone Paris' way at last. Paris seems to be tripped up in non-French cities.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

And now, with new material....

Madrid delegation stunned by failure to land 2020 Games

2013-09-07T213357Z_1_CBRE9861NWO00_RTROP

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - The Madrid delegation were left reeling on Saturday by the shock of their early elimination as host city for the 2020 summer Olympics.

There was a deathly hush in the bar where officials gathered to wait for the result of the International Olympic Committee head-to-head vote that eliminated the Spanish capital following a first-round tie with Istanbul.

The third bidder, Tokyo, was later awarded the Games.

"We believe the result bears no relation to the way (our presentation) was made. A decision like that is based on other criteria," Spain's Education Minister Jose Ignacio Wert told reporters.

"Everyone who attended the presentations of the three rival cities today can be in no doubt Madrid's was the best."

Some members of the large Spanish contingent were in tears when they emerged on the streets of the redeveloped port area of the Argentine capital on a grey, rainy afternoon.

Madrid, bidding for the third successive time, was confident of success after narrowly missing out on the 2012 and 2016 Games.

Fencer Jose Luis Pirri echoed Wert's comments and suggested tactical voting had eliminated the Spanish capital.

"We expected to be in the final with Tokyo but it's obvious they didn't want us in the final because Madrid would have been very strong," said Pirri.

"It's a strange decision. Madrid has deserved to hold the Games for a long time and on top of that we are out in the first round, it's quite absurd."

NBA basketball player and Olympic silver medal winner Pau Gasol, a figurehead of the Madrid bid, could not hide his disappointment.

"There are factors we don't control, that only (the IOC members) know about. It's a shame because we were confident and had a good feeling," Gasol said.

"I don't think our work has been duly recognised in this instance."

Enrique Cerezo, president of top football club Atletico Madrid, said: "I think it's unfair Madrid should have been eliminated at the first turn. It looks to me like the system is very badly designed."

SBS

Disbelief in Madrid as bid to host 2020 Olympics rejected

2013-09-07T203956Z_1_CBRE9861LEN00_RTROP

MADRID (Reuters) - Spaniards reacted with disbelief and disappointment on Saturday after Madrid was eliminated as a possible host of the 2020 summer Games in the opening round of voting by the International Olympic Committee

The elimination comes as Spaniards are swallowing cuts in health and education and battling one of the worst unemployment rates in Europe of 26 percent. Many had hoped a winning bid would bring a welcome note of cheer to the city.

Tokyo was eventually awarded the right to host the Games after beating Istanbul in the final round of voting.

"Nobody expected this, we're in total shock," said Jennifer Pareja, a water polo player who competed for Spain in the 2012 Olympics in an interview broadcast from Buenos Aires where she had formed part of the Madrid delegation. "I'm lost for words."

The elimination marked Madrid's third successive failed attempt to host the Games.

Hundreds of Spaniards who had gathered around the city's Puerta de Alcala monument to watch a live link from Buenos Aires stood in disbelief as the lights on the stage were switched off. Hoardes of people began to make their way home.

"This is a huge disappointment," said Antonio Galan, a 45-year-old food industry worker, as he walked away from the gathering. "It seems to be more to do with political influence than sport."

Madrid had been many commentators' favourite to win the right to stage the Games with a bid focused on being ready, safe and cheap. Madrid and Istanbul tied in second place and then went to a head-to-head vote to see who would go through to the next round.

Madrid had characterised its bid as low-cost because most of the infrastructure and sports venues had already been built.

It had said the associated infrastructure and investment costs it would have had to make to host the Games, like improving transport, would have been less than the $3.1 billion budget for the Games themselves.

This is in contrast to Istanbul and Tokyo, both of which expected to spend more on projects like infrastructure to prepare for hosting the Games than putting on the event.

Disappointed would-be revellers in central Madrid said the economic crisis was receding and the recession should not have been a factor in deciding the winning bid.

"I don't think there would have been a better time to have the Games in Spain," said Miguel Moreno, a 63-year-old retiree. "We were really excited about the idea of having a Games here. I don't think the economy should have played a role."

SBS

Japan ecstatic at Olympic win

photo_1378590472604_1_0-192n8iq.jpg?x=40

TOKYO (AFP) - Thousands of Japanese erupted in joy early Sunday as they learned Tokyo would host the 2020 Olympic Games.

Some had risen very early, while others had stayed up all night to hear the decision from Buenos Aires, which came at 5:20 am local time.

Several channels had live coverage of the event, with public broadcaster NHK having begun its programming at 10.30 pm on Saturday.

As Olympic chief Jacques Rogge read the IOC decision, cheers and shouts rang out. Groups of ecstatic Japanese hugged each other and punched the air.

TV hosts and their guests were temporarily speechless and several were in tears, with some making reference to people living in the area affected by the earthquake-tsunami and the nuclear emergency it caused in March 2011.

At the Tokyo Chamber of Commerce and Industry, where around 1,200 people had gathered to watch live-streaming of the announcement in Buenos Aires, people held V signs aloft and cheerleaders hugged each other. Some shouted "Banzai" (hurrah!).

At the MC's prompting, the crowd in unison said "arigato" (thank you) to Buenos Aires.

At Komozawa Olympic Park in the south of Tokyo, which served as a venue for several sports at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, golden tinsel rained down at the moment of decision.

A boisterous crowd held signs and chanted "Tokyo, Tokyo, Tokyo, Tokyo," as an interviewer fought to be heard above the din.

When he finally got his question out -- "What do you think of the news?" -- one man shouted: "It's the best!" before being drowned out by chanting and cheering.

Three-time Olympic women's 55kg wrestling champion Saori Yoshida, whose sport may be scrapped from the 2020 Games said she had been brought to tears by the news of Tokyo's victory.

"I am really pleased that Japan pulled together," she told reporters.

Tadashi Okamura, chairman of the Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry, who was in the crowd said he had not stopped crying with joy.

"We wanted the Games so much," he said.

In Bueno Aires, bid chief Tsunekazu Takeda said: "I have been waiting a long time for this feeling. The members of the IOC have seen that Tokyo is a safe pair of hands."

But in Madrid, which was eliminated at the first stage of the vote, news of the city's elimination was greeted with shock.

Red balloons that supporters had been clutching were let go and people began making their way home.

"I am very disappointed," said Jorge Linhares, 41, a minister who had come to witness the decision. "Everyone was very hopeful and I am surprised," he added. "I thought we would go to the second round and win."

Alex Marinez, a 16-year-old school student, said Madrid should keep trying for another Games, even after three successive losses.

"I am very disappointed. Failing in the first round is the worst. But we have to carry on," he said.

Tokyo's victory was a huge disappointment to the hundreds of Turks who had gathered in front of the Hagia Sophia. Within minutes of the announcement, the podium and the forum were almost deserted.

But the city's governor, Huseyin Avni Mutlu, was magnanimous.

"Today we showed that we were a serious candidate, so I do not believe that we have lost," he said. "We are a people who love competition, we will continue to try."

Istanbul bid volunteer Basak Demirci said Turkey would not be bowed by the loss.

"Turkey is the best Muslim country in the world and if we had won the Games, we could have set an example to the Muslim world," she told AFP. "One day we will win."

In the winning city, a slightly damp morning was breaking and some bars were still open, on a day that promised to be full of celebration.

The West.com.au

"It's a strange decision. Madrid has 'deserved' to hold the Games for a long time & on top of that we are out on the first round, it's quite 'absurd' ".

"I think it's 'unfair' Madrid should have been eliminated at the first turn. It looks to me like the system is very 'badly designed' ".

But yet it was "okay" for Chicago to have been eliminated first for 2016 when geopolitics should've been more in their favor?! Whatever.

I remember some people on here complaining when some of the Americans were expressing their disappointment of the U.S. bid being ousted first. Well, to quote some of them; "someone had to go out first"! What makes Madrid less worthy of going out first than Madrid or Istanbul. It's a competition & there will always be winners & losers.

*than Tokyo or Istanbul, that was suppose to read.

Apparently Madrid went out first because the Tokyo backers felt Istanbul was easier to beat (and would go along with the reports of it coming down to Madrid vs Tokyo).