Olympic bid decisions - the good, the bad... the fails.

I think he means the Parti Quebecois - they are in power in the "assemblée nationale".

I love Quebec City and it would be almost perfect for the Olympic Winter Games. But let's face it, not having a tall enough mountain will forever kill that dream.

I believe I read that in 2005, the people of Moscow thought they won the 2012 Games - the city was first to be eliminated on the 5-city ballot and there was a misunderstanding when it was announced.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not looking at and learning or improving from past Olympics editions is sheer arrogance. What made Boyce think that he could simply create a better kind of ceremony out of thin air without consulting past shows? No wonder the world keeps going into war because it's this very folly that leads man to take the lesser road. A very basic tenet: If you do not learn from the lessons of history, you are condemned to repeat its mistakes. And Danny at least had seen Beijing's show.

A couple of points. First, you're omitting to mention that London used several people with considerable experience of previous stadium ceremonies and similar shows, such as Catherine Ugwu and Piers Shepperd. Second, Danny Boyle had indeed seen Beijing's show, and had seen some other people's reports on it. Among the lessons he learned from that history were: try not to treat genuine volunteers like machines; try not to cripple any of your principal dancers; try to spend much much less than $100,000,000; try not to do variations of the same thing for a full hour, however impressive; try to inject a variety of emotions; and try to give the stadium audience as rich an experience as the TV audience (reports had indicated that many of Beijing's routines had really not been too impressive to spectators seeing them from low down in the stadium).

1. A couple of points. First, you're omitting to mention that London used several people with considerable experience of previous stadium ceremonies and similar shows, such as Catherine Ugwu and Piers Shepperd. Second, Danny Boyle had indeed seen Beijing's show, and had seen some other people's reports on it. Among the lessons he learned from that history were: try not to treat genuine volunteers like machines; try not to cripple any of your principal dancers; try to spend much much less than $100,000,000; try not to do variations of the same thing for a full hour, however impressive; try to inject a variety of emotions; and try to give the stadium audience as rich an experience as the TV audience

2. (reports had indicated that many of Beijing's routines had really not been too impressive to spectators seeing them from low down in the stadium).

1. OK, points taken.

2. I know that. In fact, that's one of the "Secret" tips in my book: the "A" and "AA" seats are probably the worst in shows of the Olympic ceremony-type. The best are the highest and cheapest seats. And one of our regulars here, Kenadian of Vancouver, even publicly thanked me here on GB, for that advice when he purchased his tix for Vancouver's show. B)

• 2 weeks later...

That "We shall now proceed with another round of voting" line repeating, as we see in that WGN video, on the shocking early elimination of Chicago surely comes off as a permanently hauting line for those involved in and supporting the Chicago Olympic bid for a long time. A lot of these people probrably don't know and likely don't care to analyse the complexities and political realities of the IOC voting like we do here that may or may not have nothing personally to do with Chicago like with choosing another location and waging with previous Olympic host cities in those areas. It is all emotional and patriotic for them except for those really deep in it. The IOC knows that Brazil is an emerging global power with a city that holds loads of global cache with its beautiful scenary, a very nice Olympic pedigree, and incredible soft power that Brazil does to the hilt. Its need for the Olympics to staged in a new frontier, in this case, South America with experience for staging big sports events.

I would like to see Istanbul get the Games for it likes to see itself as bridging Europe and Asia together as rising nation in the region. I do consider Turkey a European nation these days even though its capital Ankara is on Asia Minor. I know there are flaws with Istanbul but would the city try again if the IOC denies them again later this year with all of the millions poured into it once more?

1. OK, points taken.

2. I know that. In fact, that's one of the "Secret" tips in my book: the "A" and "AA" seats are probably the worst in shows of the Olympic ceremony-type. The best are the highest and cheapest seats. And one of our regulars here, Kenadian of Vancouver, even publicly thanked me here on GB, for that advice when he purchased his tix for Vancouver's show. B)

This is true! I was at the Melbourne 2006 ceremony and I was high up "in the Gods" of the MCG, and the view was spectacular. I went for a walk during the show, and the lower tier didn't have as good of a perspective- in fact the lower tier was so close you saw too much of the technical bits and pieces happening .

When Atlanta won over Athens for celebrating the Centennial Games was really shocking for the Greek delegation and the rest in the IOC members were really surprised.

I have a surprise for you. Even the two American IOC members were STUNNED to realize that Atlanta won. I overheard this from Anita de Frantz herself when she was relating the incident to Stephanie Streeter in the summer of 2009 at the 25th anny dinner of LA-84.

It must have been particularly shocking for those involved in Los Angeles organisation and bidding efforts. Looking back at all the blood, sweat and tears a major city like LA put into a decade of trying to rope the Games back to the US in the late 1960's and 70's, and motown giant Detroit before that... for upstart Atlanta to walk in against and take out the most prized date on the Olympics calendar - it's Centennial.

Well, for starters, Atlanta benefitted from the successful of L.A. 1984 at a time when the IOC, a decade earlier, was in dire straits & no one wanted to bid. Plus, Atlanta really wasn't that much of 'upstart'. It was always known, especially at the time, as "the Big Apple of the South". Many big corporations were headquatered there & Hartsfield International was big back then. Plus, it was somewhat marketed as a progressive, African-American city as well.

I read somewhere long ago, that some of the members thought of Atlanta as a new beginning for the Olympic Movement to move into the new millenium, instead of going back to the past, which would've meant Athens. Plus, Athens wasn't really ready for 1996, they were barely ready for 2004. At least the first 2 letters of the city are the same. I think in those terms, it was somewhat appropiate.

When Atlanta won over Athens for celebrating the Centennial Games was really shocking for the Greek delegation and the rest in the IOC members were really surprised.

No doubt, it was shocking not only for the Greek delegation but for most of the viewers worldwide. Afterall, it was a decision that sparked a heated debate in the international media...

It must have been particularly shocking for those involved in Los Angeles organisation and bidding efforts. Looking back at all the blood, sweat and tears a major city like LA put into a decade of trying to rope the Games back to the US in the late 1960's and 70's, and motown giant Detroit before that... for upstart Atlanta to walk in against and take out the most prized date on the Olympics calendar - it's Centennial.

No; not really. I don't think whatever SCCOG's reaction was, was particularly relevant. I never got the feeling that that moment in 1990 in Tokyo was especially sanguine for the LA people in light of what they went thru. If anything, the SCCOG knows that they (back then in the years after 1984) were in it for the long haul (if and when lightning would strike a 3rd time) and certainly they knew that no WAY was it coming back to LA anytime soon. I believe Billy Payne also consulted with the LA group leading to the 1990 quest...so if it came as a surprise, it certainly was a pleasant one. Further, particularly the SCCOG I'm sure is attuned to what's happening to other US cities' Olympic palpitations, as it is now.

I have a surprise for you. Even the two American IOC members were STUNNED to realize that Atlanta won. I overheard this from Anita de Frantz herself when she was relating the incident to Stephanie Streeter in the summer of 2009 at the 25th anny dinner of LA-84.

I actually ask the same thing to her during the Pan-Am Games in October 2011 at Gdl.

...and she said that, everybody there were surprised.

My dad was involved with LA84. He and his colleagues reacted to Atlanta's selection with somewhat disinterested surprise. Nobody begrudged Atlanta for an easy win. It was just surprising to come back to the US so soon. Everyone in LA was very proud of '84. I think the general reaction was "We did a great job and we had a wonderful time. If the IOC wants to go to Atlanta we wish them the best." Really no sense of competition at all.

I absolutely think that LA's overwhelming success helped Atlanta significantly. Of course it's faulty to assume that all Games held in the same country will be of the same caliber. I think the IOC figured that out.

As regards the Atlanta victory in 1996, I get the feeling that the Olympic movement were still grateful to LA'84 for putting the Games back on track.

These were the days of the boycotts, remember, and major cities were simply not interested in bidding for the Games. 1980, 1984 and 1988 were hardly competitive bidding processes but of the 1980s Games, LA stands out as by far the best.

Perhaps in 1996, there was a certain amount of 'payback' for the Americans.

As regards the Atlanta victory in 1996, I get the feeling that the Olympic movement were still grateful to LA'84 for putting the Games back on track.

These were the days of the boycotts, remember, and major cities were simply not interested in bidding for the Games. 1980, 1984 and 1988 were hardly competitive bidding processes but of the 1980s Games, LA stands out as by far the best.

Perhaps in 1996, there was a certain amount of 'payback' for the Americans.

I don't think it was the IOC wanting to reward the Americans for LA as much as it was the IOC trusting the Americans because of LA. They wanted a solid host for the centennial Games and believed the USA could be relied upon because LA was such a huge success.

I don't think it was the IOC wanting to reward the Americans for LA as much as it was the IOC trusting the Americans because of LA. They wanted a solid host for the centennial Games and believed the USA could be relied upon because LA was such a huge success.

And they got the worst summer games in recent memory go figure.

Atlanta was a mistake. So was Athens, but Melbourme or Toronto was better

I think it was a watered down bid race. All of those candidates had glaring weaknesses tbh. Atlanta was just the best of the worst.

I agree. But I still think LA was part of the thinking behind their vote.

I think it was a watered down bid race. All of those candidates had glaring weaknesses tbh. Atlanta was just the best of the worst.

I agree with this too. It was a weak field.

BOO! HISS! Montreal was worse!! No one boycotted in Atlanta. You LOST the WHOLE African bloc in Montreal. Atlanta was NOT in debt by the time they sold the last Olympic souvenir. When did Montreal get out of debt? Last year? Now tell me which is worse.

I agree. But I still think LA was part of the thinking behind their vote.

I agree with this too. It was a weak field.

Athens had the not ready card, Toronto 8 years after Calgary, Melbourne repeat hosting 40 years after 56. Atlanta won only cuz of 84.

Athens had the not ready card, Toronto 8 years after Calgary, Melbourne repeat hosting 40 years after 56. Atlanta won only cuz of 84.

That is way too simplistic. LA inspired confidence AND the other bids were weaker.

And there was Billy Payne.

And Coca-Cola.

Archived