Olympic bid decisions - the good, the bad... the fails.

Disbelief? Really. I have Spanish friends on Skype and most of them already knew Madrid was doomed. As much of a nice city that is Madrid or the eternal argument of the 1992 Games, Spain has much better things to do right now like, um, I dunno... maybe getting serious and work on important things like hospitals/education/unemployment/etc.

After this I can't take seriously any future Madrid bid from now on. They better wait some years when the time is right.

This will also pretty much sink Rajoy's popularity to a lower level. Serves him right for being an incompetent.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great video, of all SOG decisions since 1976 (bar Moscow) and most recent winter announcements.

I have to say, bias aside, the Sydney decision in 1993 still ranks as possibly the most iconic. It is utterly specular, and the sheer joy just off the screen. London's in 2005 probably ties this top spot too.

Perhaps the most underwhelming is Turin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi9qLV-BUq4

The video also brings home just how well served Canada has been by the IOC. That is THREE winning bids within 33 years. Confirms to me why I wouldn't want to see Toronto host before 2036.

I think the big pity for the Sydney announcement was it happened in the middle of the night our time. I remember staying up for it (and it was when i was living in Birchgrove) and quickly rushed to look out the window if they set off any fireworks on the harbour - nada, at least that i could see.

That said, it was such a great atmosphere going in to work that morning - everyone was so buzzed!

Does anyone know how the IOC conducted host city elections in the dark ages before electronic voting keypads, I assume it was paper ballots, but all the rounds must've taken forever.

No; there were much less IOC members. (In 1978, when LA 1984 was chosen, there were only 78 votes cast (minus the 2 US votes).) And they didn't have all the prep hooha they have now like picking balls out of 2 bowls to assign the numbers, the testing, the retrieval of the ballot keypads from the candidate delegates, etc., etc. And with paper ballots, you could AUDIT the results physically--unlike now.

Oh, thanks baron. Surely paper ballots were much more transparent, maybe they should bring them back. On a sort of related note, watching that vid, it seems that the actual formula of announcing the host city changes almost every time, from the long passage for Atlanta to just 'the winner is' for Sydney. Does the president decide what to say on the day? Rogge's announcements were all very similar though, seems like it was only Samaranch who mucked about with it :lol:

This is a great video, of all SOG decisions since 1976 (bar Moscow) and most recent winter announcements.

I have to say, bias aside, the Sydney decision in 1993 still ranks as possibly the most iconic. It is utterly specular, and the sheer joy just off the screen. London's in 2005 probably ties this top spot too.

Perhaps the most underwhelming is Turin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi9qLV-BUq4

The video also brings home just how well served Canada has been by the IOC. That is THREE winning bids within 33 years. Confirms to me why I wouldn't want to see Toronto host before 2036.

Excellent video, very emotional.

Re your point about Canada, it is in an almost unique position. By the nature of the Games, the Winter Olympics can only go to so many countries. The theoretically possible hosts are few enough, the realistically viable hosts even fewer. Canada are in a favoured position in this respect.

As for the summer Games, there are very few countries in the Americas who could comfortably host the Olympics and even with the broadening of world wealth and power Canada will inevitably benefit from this at some point again.

Archived