Olympic bid decisions - the good, the bad... the fails.

The good people of Leipzig learn that the IOC hasn't given them the Bachelor's Rose.

0,,1206458_4,00.jpg

I have to admit, if I'm ever to YouTube footage of a city waiting for the decision on the fate of its Olympic bid, I'm often a sucker for misery, I love footage of the disappointment, the false hope, the tears.

The all time best would have to be Chicago's elimination in the 2016 bid - it went truly viral and overshadowed the actual win of Rio. I've even seen it appear on FailBlog video reels, wedged between footage of car, skateboard and wedding accidents. Paris losing to London was also quite stunning.

Any good footage or particular occasions anyone can remember?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another one is the South Koreans losing to the Russians for 2014, back in 2007. The look on the PyeongChang's delegations face in Guatemala City was pure disappointment. You can really see them trying very hard to hold bak the tears. I also remember even babies crying in the streets back in South Korea.

Another one is the South Koreans losing to the Russians for 2014, back in 2007. The look on the PyeongChang's delegations face in Guatemala City was pure disappointment. You can really see them trying very hard to hold bak the tears. I also remember even babies crying in the streets back in South Korea.

What about this?

Quebec City 2002 losing lol

No appropriate mountain.

Only a decade after Calgary 1988 and only another decade prior did that same province get itself into infamous debt from 1976. Was that debt even paid off when QC was bidding in 1995? What did these people expect?

If it wasn't SLC I think Ostersund might have been interesting.

Yep, Chicago's first round exit still evokes a certain level of emotion in me, and that was nearly four years ago!

But I admit, this video was funny....

Here are a couple more reaction videos...

I like this line "We have pandemonium in the control room"

Paris' reaction against London was heartbreaking. Even though I wanted London to win, it was quite sad.

I still remember Chicago's loss everyone was shocked, and those WTF faces are priceless... (I was very sad too lol)

It's really disheartening for any city that put its heart and soul into it. Which is why it's NO joke to take it lightly and sometimes you often ask how much more punishment can a city take and how much do they want. Sometimes, for 3xers like PyongChang, it works out. But I fear for Madrid, it is going to be a harrowing experience...and the Madrilenos will feel stupid or cheated. Altho the Catalans will probably be remarking to themselves: duh!!

The rest of the world will be with the Catalans in remarking "duh". No sympathy from me. If Barcelona had never happened , I'd feel sorry for three consecutive loses.

Besides, bidding for 2016 directly after London 2012 demonstrated their inability to pick their fights wisely.

I do feel sorry for Paris. London was a great host and Paris would've been too. I hope they go for 2024 and hopefully even win. Also feel sorry for Madrid but it's really not there time. Too soon after Barcelona and there economy is just not good enough yet. Tokyo 2020 and Paris 2024 for me.

No appropriate mountain.

Only a decade after Calgary 1988 and only another decade prior did that same province get itself into infamous debt from 1976. Was that debt even paid off when QC was bidding in 1995? What did these people expect?

If it wasn't SLC I think Ostersund might have been interesting.

Montreal paid it's debt for the Big "Owe" around 2006.

The Mountain problem was one of the issues, aside from what you already mentioned. They had all the ice venues, but they were hardly new or as glorious as the likes of that Salt Lake City was offering for example.

Their bid book was simply bland. You'd think after the great Sydney 2000 bid book, bidding cities would try to emulate such a greatly designed bid document. Not just provide the key information, some colorful maps and charts and a couple of bland photos.

You'd think after the great Sydney 2000 bid book, bidding cities would try to emulate such a greatly designed bid document. Not just provide the key information, some colorful maps and charts and a couple of bland photos.

But you know NOT everyone looks at the past editions. Just glanced at the transcript of the talk given by London 2012 Opennig ceremony screenwriter which Volshy was gracious enuf to provide...and he (Boyce) said that he did NOT consult or even view previous Ceremonies. Huh? How stupid can that be??* So, it's like that for the bid books as well. Unless they get ahold of a digital copy, only about (what? u're the bid book expert) 150 copies are laying around??

*Anyway, back to the Frank Cottrell Boyce NOT even viewing previous Ceremonies, no wonder London looked shabby and clueless at the same time; and then excused by its defenders as ".. veddy British." No; it was simple laziness and smugness. Not looking at and learning or improving from past Olympic editions.

Montreal paid it's debt for the Big "Owe" around 2006.

The Mountain problem was one of the issues, aside from what you already mentioned. They had all the ice venues, but they were hardly new or as glorious as the likes of that Salt Lake City was offering for example.

Their bid book was simply bland. You'd think after the great Sydney 2000 bid book, bidding cities would try to emulate such a greatly designed bid document. Not just provide the key information, some colorful maps and charts and a couple of bland photos.

This after the 2005 World Aquatics Championships in which the mayor of Montreal at the time wanted to bid for 2016.

I remember that Massif des Charlevoix would not meet the standards for a downhill skiing venue. That pretty much killed Quebec City's chances. There was talk of a joint Quebec City--Lake Placid venture but that seems absurd because of the distance. I once read of a proposal to have a joint Montreal--Lake Placid bid but that would not go anywhere either. I would bet that the recent election of the Bloc Quebecois will make any future bid attempts by Quebec City untenable in the rest of Canada. There would be little desire or impetus on the part of the federal government to support any such future bid at least at this time,

Not looking at and learning or improving from past Olympic editions.

Oops, just to complete that thought. Not looking at and learning or improving from past Olympics editions is sheer arrogance. What made Boyce think that he could simply create a better kind of ceremony out of thin air without consulting past shows? No wonder the world keeps going into war because it's this very folly that leads man to take the lesser road. A very basic tenet: If you do not learn from the lessons of history, you are condemned to repeat its mistakes. And Danny at least had seen Beijing's show.

I remember that Massif des Charlevoix would not meet the standards for a downhill skiing venue. That pretty much killed Quebec City's chances. There was talk of a joint Quebec City--Lake Placid venture but that seems absurd because of the distance. I once read of a proposal to have a joint Montreal--Lake Placid bid but that would not go anywhere either. I would bet that the recent election of the Bloc Quebecois will make any future bid attempts by Quebec City untenable in the rest of Canada. There would be little desire or impetus on the part of the federal government to support any such future bid at least at this time,

The bloc has 4 seats in parliament. They won't be doing anything for a long time.

Archived