San Diego Mayor Wants Bid With Tijuana For 2024 Summer Games

GBModerator

For starters it's "joint" bid, & of all fricken places, with Tijuana! When has the IOC embraced joint bids, anyway. Never. And if they ever considered it, they'd most likely want the two countries to be on the same playing field as far as stability goes. i.e. The U.S. & Canada.

Plus, San Diego is not one of the countries premier cities, it's on the smaller side & is overshadowed by it's much bigger neighbor, L.A. San Diego is a nice city & all, like Minneapolis, Seattle & Phoenix, but Summer Olympic caliber is stretching quite a bit.

If rules are being bent these days like having ceremonies wherever you want and winter games in summer cities they why not allow close border international partnerships…..aren’t partnerships what the Olympics are trying to promote, besides fiefdoms for the core IOC leadership that is.

I wouldn’t describe San Diego and SD County as “on the smaller side” but OK it’s not Tokyo. But I get the impression here that people think it’s a smaller-ish city…it’s not, it’s an international business and tourism hub with prestigious medical and educational institutions that have global reach and it’s an enormously successful convention city. There is a huge military presence due to the deep bay and location and defense dollar have added a lot to this city for decades and would make for a very secure game. SDs GDP is comparable to Buenos Aires, Rio and Delhi, and not far behind Beijing. It’s also a city that LOVES sports (it's pro teams) and recreation and health, it’s a way of life here. There is a very very high luxury quotient that would appeal to the IOC, and many others, and there is easy accessibility to natural and cultural pleasures all around that would appeal to everyone else.

I think if I had to guess the biggest challenge I’m going to say transportation, but that’s what plans are for….to find solution.

I don’t really think the US should bid at all but I’d be interested to see a SD bid.

Yeah, sure. But like I said earlier, I think the IOC might be more persuaded with something like the U.S. & Canada, not with Mexico, which isn't in the best of shapes right now.

And San Diego County is just over 3 million, even smaller than the metro areas of Minneapolis & Seattle. If that's not on the smaller side, then IDK what is. Sure, San Diego is not the rinky-dink likes of Tulsa or Cincinnati, but it's nowhere near New York, Chicago, Los Angeles or San Francisco's metro areas.

Simply bcuz some cities can boast all those attributes, doesn't mean that makes them Olympic capable. Plans could be drawn up, but for San Diego's size, I can't see building too much without it becoming to the point of unnecessary.

And how many times has Blackmun come out & said, even in the most recent article in the USA 2024 thread, that they want a bid that can be winnable. They don't want to be wasteful & focus on something that's not gonna get them votes. They don't want to be frivolous with their next opportunity. And with Blackmun mentioning New York & San Francisco, without those cities even coming out yet about their intentions, says to me that they would prefer one of the country's premier cities to bid with, & not one that's gonna get them nowhere with a poor, thought out plan.

There’re all long shots.

Unlike many Olympic wannabees, at least SD is a place you would actually go for a summer holiday as a tourist. Best beaches in Cali by far, unless you like cold water.

What’s up with the whole area to the east of petco park downtown, an amazing location for an Olympic park? Or somewhere in mission valley?

Why can't the Mexican OC submit the bid? Why does it have to be solely under the USOC aegis? I guess the USOC hasn't straightened him out on this. Seems like they're more interested in just submitting a bid rather than winning one.

I think they're trying to make sure that all-comers are heard. I don't think there's any chance they would seriously entertain a binational bid. Among other things (MANY other things) they know the IOC will reject the concept.

Frankly, I don't understand how San Diego believes Tijuana helps them in any way.

This also assumes that Mexico itself would even want to partner up with the US in this regard. Why would it want to, when in another 20 or so years, Mexican civil issues permitting, Mexico City would probably have a very decent claim to a second Olympics if it was able to table a strong bid - which given the Toronto "North America' argument, it just might.

That's a good point...does the Mexican Olympic Committee want to get involved in this?

Someone raised the issue of bi-national bids, and while the IOC has yet to fully embrace one, I think the concept is better suited for smaller countries who may have a great city capable of hosting the Olympics, but lack the critical mass as a nation to make it fully work. Don't think that applies here - the United States has hosted the Olympics eight times (four each, summer and winter games) and Mexico hosted once before.

I don't see this going very far.

That's a good point...does the Mexican Olympic Committee want to get involved in this?

yep. This almost borders on condescending from the San Diego team - given there is zero comment from across the border. Mexico shouldn't have a bar of it, nor should the US. If San Diego can't host, it can't host. I wonder what the Southern Californian Committee for the Olympic Games makes of this - given they're in support of LA 2024?

The very fact this is even proposed as a joint bid is an admission of lack of strength or capability, or if not, then lack of willing to commit full resources themselves. US has better options than SD, and far, far better options than a joint bid over one of the world's most infamous borders.

Any San Diego exploratory committee should study what a lone San Diego bid would look like and how much it might cost.

Tijuana should only be supporting in the role of Accommodation and their International Airport. Additional forms of accommodation can easily come from cruise ships, alongside an expected legacy hotel plan.

Forget Tijuana, you won't even be considered for the next US bid if you team up with them (even if everything on the Mexican side, NOC, local, state etc, is approved).

yep. This almost borders on condescending from the San Diego team - given there is zero comment from across the border. Mexico shouldn't have a bar of it, nor should the US. If San Diego can't host, it can't host. I wonder what the Southern Californian Committee for the Olympic Games makes of this - given they're in support of LA 2024?

It'll probably be like San Francisco vs Los Angeles for 2012 and 2016. They both hail from the same state, California. Given that this "SCOC" isn't really representative for the USOC, it's up to the USOC to select which bid they want to go with, even if there's multiple candidates from the same state. After all, from a local level, it would be the city alone and businesses from there that fund the city's bid locally, only when selected as the USOC's applicant, then will they get broader funding.

. I wonder what the Southern Californian Committee for the Olympic Games makes of this - given they're in support of LA 2024?

SCCOG was created long before San Diego became a fairly largish city post-WW2, and it continues to exist primarily to bring opportunities for Los Angeles. At most, San Diego would be like a subchapter to them. Of course, SD could also create its own SDCOG, esp since the USOC Training Center is in SD County. However, bigger sister LA will always grab the big plums.

Archived